post #3901 of 4255 Old 07-05-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
It is not just about complexity since what I have now may not be what I want in the future. Plus, some of my current programming is limited by the fact that the URC doesn't support BT or RF.

I need to do more research about the Elite to understand the programming. It doesn't seem as though I am able to get the programming modules without actually having a remote and hub.
Good research is essential to a positive outcome. Make sure all your devices can be controlled, plan placement of of the main control and IR blaster (if necessary), map out the type of control required, and finally decide on the form factor and appearance of the remote. Some people like tablet, others use their phone, and many like a hand held with button that they can operate without looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

What you can't do is add any additional power or input changing steps. (Technically, if you have another remote to learn these commands from, you can use the learns of those commands if you really need to). You can't add steps that change screens on the remote. You can't do conditional branching (IF THEN ELSE) type of programming. You can't use variables for tracking states or storing/retrieving values.

So I don't agree with other posters that you can program "ANYTHING", but you can program most things within the boundaries outlined above.
I generally agree, but the Harmony is more than adequate for the "average" or "typical" user. That is why I asked dminches to list the most complex macro. It should then be possible to determine if the Harmony was a candidate.

I think we are all saying the same thing.
mdavej likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 4255 Old 07-05-2019, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

For those unfamiliar with URC. They are meant for professional installers to program, not end users, although many end users do program them. They have far more sophisticated programming capabilities than Harmony and have been around longer than Harmony. Users with access to that level of control can find Harmony's model hard to adjust to. The only way to know for sure if it will work for you is to try it for yourself.
Thanks for your post.

I like the available complexity of the URC. The ability to define and set variables and use them in IF-THEN-ELSE statements in very powerful.
mdavej likes this.

David M.
post #3903 of 4255 Old 07-05-2019, 12:16 PM
Pip
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

The ability to change graphics is limited to custom favorite channel logos.
Not totally correct. You can change graphics for any activity as well.

I used URC remotes for 15 years, and have recently switched to Harmony. The are both great products.

The URC remotes were physically bulletproof with great button layouts and backlighting. The programming is very straightforward, but very time consuming.

I haven't found anything that I can not do with the Harmony, regardless of how complicated. (I have a very complicated set-up. Two displays, eight input sources, and two speaker systems.) But many of the complicated moves needlessly require frustrating and ingenious workarounds. The Harmony is much faster to program for simple things, and even after researching and learning the frustrating backdoor workarounds, it's faster to program in the long run. They also have spectacular customer service for help if you need it.

But by far the biggest benefit of the Harmony is that it is much easier for anyone else in your house to use - especially with extensive setups. With all but the simplest of setups, if you don't live alone, I strongly advise the Harmony.

Pip
curtlots, pjp, mjwagner and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3904 of 4255 Old 07-06-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Not totally correct. You can change graphics for any activity as well.

I used URC remotes for 15 years, and have recently switched to Harmony. The are both great products.

The URC remotes were physically bulletproof with great button layouts and backlighting. The programming is very straightforward, but very time consuming.

I haven't found anything that I can not do with the Harmony, regardless of how complicated. (I have a very complicated set-up. Two displays, eight input sources, and two speaker systems.) But many of the complicated moves needlessly require frustrating and ingenious workarounds. The Harmony is much faster to program for simple things, and even after researching and learning the frustrating backdoor workarounds, it's faster to program in the long run. They also have spectacular customer service for help if you need it.

But by far the biggest benefit of the Harmony is that it is much easier for anyone else in your house to use - especially with extensive setups. With all but the simplest of setups, if you don't live alone, I strongly advise the Harmony.

Pip
You can change the background on the main activities screen as well....

Mark
post #3905 of 4255 Old 07-08-2019, 03:58 PM
Pip
Advanced Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Can anyone help with a TCL TV?

The Harmony codes seem to be very limited for these sets, even with IP access. There's very little direct menu access to anything, and there appears to be no Harmony codes for the valuable advanced settings in the Roku smartphone app.

Has anyone had more success with the Harmony for these sets.

I already asked in the TCL thread. Unfortunately, one can't search this thread for TCL - it's too short a term. Ugh.

Thanks,

Pip
post #3906 of 4255 Old 07-08-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Is it normal for the battery to run down to dead in just a few days, without any use?

Might that happen if you don't press the Off button?

My whole system is run off of a surge protector and I'm in the habit of turning the system off with its master power switch.
spyboy likes this.

Noah
post #3907 of 4255 Old 07-08-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Is it normal for the battery to run down to dead in just a few days, without any use?

Might that happen if you don't press the Off button?

My whole system is run off of a surge protector and I'm in the habit of turning the system off with its master power switch.
You definitely should press the “off” button and let your Harmony turn all your equipment off prior to turning the main power off. The Harmony keeps track of the power states of all the equipment as it turns them on/off and so if you just manually turn power off it will get confused and won’t be able to correctly control your equipment. Honestly you really should not be basically unplugging your equipment all the time, which is what you are essentially doing. Modern electronic devices like AVR’s, streaming devices, BR players, and displays are designed to be in low power stand by mode when “powered off”. They use very little power in that mode. You should at least leave your charging base and hub plugged into power. Not sure how long the handheld lasts. Mine is either in use or in its charger base.
noah katz, spyboy and Karl Maga like this.

Mark
post #3908 of 4255 Old 07-08-2019, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
You definitely should press the “off” button and let your Harmony turn all your equipment off prior to turning the main power off. The Harmony keeps track of the power states of all the equipment as it turns them on/off and so if you just manually turn power off it will get confused and won’t be able to correctly control your equipment. Honestly you really should not be basically unplugging your equipment all the time, which is what you are essentially doing. Modern electronic devices like AVR’s, streaming devices, BR players, and displays are designed to be in low power stand by mode when “powered off”. They use very little power in that mode. You should at least leave your charging base and hub plugged into power. Not sure how long the handheld lasts. Mine is either in use or in its charger base.
One additional item I forgot to mention. If you are going to remove power from/unplug your devices all the time, make sure that you turn off auto update on all of your devices. If you remove power from/unplug a device and it just so happens to be in the middle of updating its software you definitely can inadvertently brick a device.
noah katz, spyboy and pjp like this.

Mark
post #3909 of 4255 Old 07-08-2019, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked: 733
I was trying to minimize vampire power from all of the standby circuits and bevy of wall warts, but I checked with a KillaWatt and it's only 15W, so I'll just leave it on.

Good other points too, thanks
mjwagner and Karl Maga like this.

Noah
post #3910 of 4255 Old 07-12-2019, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 43
My Elite has gone crazy recently and I wanted to see if you guys had any ideas on what I can do. The remote started by becoming non-responsive on the touch screen. It would also cycle back and forth between the activities main screen and the devices main screen on its own. I could feel it vibrating between each screen change over and over. I did the following to try to fix things:
1. powered off and on
2. did a factory reset and re-synced
3. pulled the battery out and let it sit for an hour or so then resynced
4. tried the touchscreen test to see if the touchscreen would turn on when it was just sitting on a table (it didn't)
None of these worked.

now when it turns on after syncing it shows a "tips" screen but the touchscreen is completely unresponsive. I can't even click the "x" in the corner of the screen to get to the main activities screen.

Any thoughts on what I should do or am I just screwed with this remote? It is about 3-4 years old.

James

My theater build 2015 (Circle N theater)
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html
post #3911 of 4255 Old 07-12-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 331
^^ Could it be the base module, did you test with another device like iPad or iphone or other?
post #3912 of 4255 Old 07-14-2019, 10:35 AM

The hub seems to work just fine. It works with my cell phone etc. I found a place that fixes the Elite but its basically $80 plus shipping. Seems like I can get one used off of ebay for around that same price. Not sure what the right way is to go. Just seems weird that it suddenly doesn't work right after 5 years of light use. I only use the theater a couple times a week.

James

post #3913 of 4255 Old 07-14-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2243 Post(s)
Liked: 2290
I've just purchased the Harmony Elite and am trying to set it up but have encountered a vexing problem which may or may not be related to the posts above from @nitro28 .

I first set up devices and activities by transferring the settings from a 700 that I had never really used. At first the remote was functioning but not satisfactorily controlling all devices, then after a while it became unresponsive showing the locked screen below. Neither the touch screen nor the buttons would respond. I then decided to start over by deleting all devices and activities. I added the devices a second time and synced to the remote via my Win10 netbook. The remote confirmed a successful syncing operation but the locked screen reappeared.

I even tried removing the battery and then reinserting it, but the locked screen below persists.

Other troubleshooting steps taken: held OFF button for 15 seconds (no change); held OFF and MENU buttons (remote resynced and screen responded to DONE command but locked display then reappeared). Same result occurs when syncing using the mobile app.

I anticipated a long learning curve after many years of using a programmable Sony RM-VLZ620 but had not reckoned with anything this perplexing. I would conclude at this point that the remote is defective, but my experience factor with this product is virtually nil so I realize that I may very well be missing something. Any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Harmony Elite Remote Stuck.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	2590674  

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #3914 of 4255 Old 07-14-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
I've just purchased the Harmony Elite and am trying to set it up but have encountered a vexing problem which may or may not be related to the posts above from @nitro28 .

I first set up devices and activities by transferring the settings from a 700 that I had never really used. At first the remote was functioning but not satisfactorily controlling all devices, then after a while it became unresponsive showing the locked screen below. Neither the touch screen nor the buttons would respond. I then decided to start over by deleting all devices and activities. I added the devices a second time and synced to the remote via my Win10 netbook. The remote confirmed a successful syncing operation but the locked screen reappeared.

I even tried removing the battery and then reinserting it, but the locked screen below persists.

Other troubleshooting steps taken: held OFF button for 15 seconds (no change); held OFF and MENU buttons (remote resynced and screen responded to DONE command but locked display then reappeared). Same result occurs when syncing using the mobile app.

I anticipated a long learning curve after many years of using a programmable Sony RM-VLZ620 but had not reckoned with anything this perplexing. I would conclude at this point that the remote is defective, but my experience factor with this product is virtually nil so I realize that I may very well be missing something. Any suggestions?

That is odd. It does look faulty.
post #3915 of 4255 Old 07-14-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Yup, that is the exact screen that mine is stuck on and completely unresponsive. Sure seems odd that we would both have the same issue. Makes me wonder if its software rather than hardware related.

James

post #3916 of 4255 Old 07-14-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro28 View Post
Yup, that is the exact screen that mine is stuck on and completely unresponsive. Sure seems odd that we would both have the same issue. Makes me wonder if its software rather than hardware related.

Either way, the result is the same if there is no way for the user to clear the error.

At least, I just got this baby (it's a manufacturer refurb with a 90-day warranty) so I can return it or get a warranty replacement if there is no fix.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #3917 of 4255 Old 07-14-2019, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
That looks like a help screen, perhaps the one that is displayed after doing a download of settings to the remote (going from memory). Have you tried clicking the X next to where it says don't show again?
post #3918 of 4255 Old 07-14-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
That looks like a help screen, perhaps the one that is displayed after doing a download of settings to the remote (going from memory). Have you tried clicking the X next to where it says don't show again?

Yes, of course! As we both have stated, the screen is unresponsive, as are the buttons. The remote is, in essence, a paperweight.

post #3919 of 4255 Old 07-14-2019, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Have you contacted Logitech/Harmony support?

Mark
post #3920 of 4255 Old 07-14-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have you tried to contact Logitech/Harmony support about the problem you are having?

Mark
post #3921 of 4255 Old 07-14-2019, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

While I agree with those who have suggested Logitech support, I would also try starting from scratch and add only one device. I'd test it thoroughly to ensure it functions. Only then would I add the second device, then test both again, and so on.

I've also noticed that a weak Wi-Fi signal has at times affected how my Elite functions. I added a hotspot and those issues no longer occur. Just a thought.
post #3922 of 4255 Old 07-14-2019, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Have you contacted Logitech/Harmony support?

Not yet, given that it's the weekend. My first move was to notify the seller. I will contact Logitech support next depending on what the seller has to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Maga View Post
While I agree with those who have suggested Logitech support, I would also try starting from scratch and add only one device. I'd test it thoroughly to ensure it functions. Only then would I add the second device, then test both again, and so on.

I've also noticed that a weak Wi-Fi signal has at times affected how my Elite functions. I added a hotspot and those issues no longer occur. Just a thought.

Thanks for those suggestions. I am not hopeful but will try out the first one tomorrow. I have pretty good wireless but regardless am not willing to add a hotspot just to accommodate a balky remote. Besides, as best I can tell the hub seems to be fine, and the app on my tablet works well. It's the remote control that is verklemmt.

post #3923 of 4255 Old 07-15-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Does anyone use nest thermostat with there harmony, or any nest product (I just use the thermostat), seems like after googles recent announcement even though they back tracked, harmony totally dropped support as a solution. Nest thermostat has become unreliable. And it does not seem like you can even add nest products anymore.

I cant be the only one that had a nest with the harmony.
post #3924 of 4255 Old 07-15-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, after some more futile troubleshooting today (multiple factory resets, then removing and re-adding the Harmony Elite to my account), I called Logitech support when they opened for business this morning. They confirmed that the remote is kaput.

I have obtained a prepaid return shipping label from the seller but am torn as to whether I should accept an exchange for another "manufacturer reconditioned" unit (at a very nice discount) or just take a refund and move on. I know that Amazon has a 20% off coupon today on a new Elite, but the price I paid is appreciably lower than even that discount. However, it's still a lot more than I am willing to pay for a doorstop.

Does anyone here have an idea of just how often this type of freeze-up or other fatal defect has affected the Elite product line? Are @nitro28 and I outliers or is there a history of owners experiencing these errors?

post #3925 of 4255 Old 07-15-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 331
^^ I am going to say I have never seen this problem, knock on wood. I think most products have some percentage of units that fail.
chi_guy50 likes this.
post #3926 of 4255 Old 07-15-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
So, after some more futile troubleshooting today (multiple factory resets, then removing and re-adding the Harmony Elite to my account), I called Logitech support when they opened for business this morning. They confirmed that the remote is kaput.

I have obtained a prepaid return shipping label from the seller but am torn as to whether I should accept an exchange for another "manufacturer reconditioned" unit (at a very nice discount) or just take a refund and move on. I know that Amazon has a 20% off coupon today on a new Elite, but the price I paid is appreciably lower than even that discount. However, it's still a lot more than I am willing to pay for a doorstop.

Does anyone here have an idea of just how often this type of freeze-up or other fatal defect has affected the Elite product line? Are @nitro28 and I outliers or is there a history of owners experiencing these errors?

I’ve been following this forum for about three years and have never heard of it. If it was me, I’d get the new one with the 20% discount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
chi_guy50 and Karl Maga like this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #3927 of 4255 Old 07-15-2019, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
I’ve been following this forum for about three years and have never heard of it. If it was me, I’d get the new one with the 20% discount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’ve had my Elite since it first came out and only issue I had was my weak WiFi which I fixed and it’s been great since.
m_snow likes this.
post #3928 of 4255 Old 07-15-2019, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmd1 View Post
I’ve had my Elite since it first came out and only issue I had was my weak WiFi which I fixed and it’s been great since.
+1
post #3929 of 4255 Old 07-16-2019, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:

I had a hard time trying to understand the problem, and the report that it is kaput explains it. Never heard of the problem before, and if money is a concern I would go for the reconditioned as this is a rare failure.
chi_guy50 likes this.
post #3930 of 4255 Old 07-16-2019, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Here’s a strange one for you experts out there. I have a 65” Sony A9F connected to a Denon X6500H. I control my system, which also includes a Tivo Mini and Apple TV 4K, with a Harmony Hub and Elite remote. The Harmony controls the A9F via IP instead of infrared. On two occasions I have seen the message “Registration Cancelled” pop up on the A9F when hitting the “Off” button on the Harmony. After this, the Harmony no longer controls the A9F, even though the Harmony still shows as a registered IP control device on the A9F. To get it to work again, I have to delete the Harmony from my A9F, delete the A9F from the Harmony, add it back and re-program each of my activities.

Any thoughts on what’s happening that would cause the A9F to cancel the registration of the Harmony?

(Cross-posted on the Sony A9F forum)

Last edited by steveura; 07-16-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page