Harmony Elite - Page 146 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1274Likes

post #4351 of 4396 Old 11-03-2019, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I need to have 3 IR transmitters coming from my hub. Can I / has anyone split one of the ports so there are two transmitters coming from that port?

Sony XBR-75X900E; Denon AVR-X4500H; Behringer NX3000D; Panamax M5400-EX
Sonus Faber Venere Wall/Center; DefTech SR9040; Custom Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub
Harmony Elite; Apple TV 4K; Xbox One; Wii U; Switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4352 of 4396 Old 11-03-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4699 Post(s)
Liked: 2748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post

Has anybody seen anything like this? The line on the screen came out of nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks to be indicative of a failing screen. IMHO

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #4353 of 4396 Old 11-03-2019, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4699 Post(s)
Liked: 2748
Quote:

Has anybody seen anything like this? The line on the screen came out of nowhere.

That looks to be indicative of a failing screen. IMHO

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4354 of 4396 Old 11-03-2019, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHouston View Post
I need to have 3 IR transmitters coming from my hub. Can I / has anyone split one of the ports so there are two transmitters coming from that port?
Yes you can use a splitter and have two Mini Blasters come out of each port.
post #4355 of 4396 Old 11-04-2019, 04:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

My laptop at work has had the same sort of line on the screen for the last 6 months.

On my laptop at least it requires a screen replacement based on what IT support said. If under warranty then get remote fixed/replaced.

If not then just it until it dies which could be a long time if my laptop is anything to go by.
post #4356 of 4396 Old 11-04-2019, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Have you tried doing a reset and then resync of the handheld? “ Press and hold the Menu button (located above the Channel Up button) and the Off button together for 20 seconds.”

I’ll try it

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000 (atmos), (2) GoldenEar SuperSat 50’s, (2) GoldenEar Triton 7 (rears), Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), JVC NX5, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Panasonic BP - UB 820, Marantz 8805, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 9 (gen 3) Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite, 4K Apple TV
post #4357 of 4396 Old 11-04-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
I’ll try it

As others have pointed out, your screen is probably going bad but a reset is at least worth a try.

Mark
post #4358 of 4396 Old 11-04-2019, 07:09 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
I haven't seen this, but I would also guess that it's a failing screen. On the bright side, that line almost looks appropriate as it perfectly separates the on/off from the activity name (probably less perfect when in an activity though). I would try a reset, or letting the remote run until the battery is very dead as a "hail mary" pass to see if it helps.

Last edited by pjp; 11-04-2019 at 02:32 PM.
post #4359 of 4396 Old 11-04-2019, 07:19 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

This article discusses lines on LCD screens (generically, nothing specific about Harmony) -> https://www.petervis.com/gallery/har...%20repair.html. It says the problem is typically a cable connection/contact. Maybe you can try gently putting pressure on the back of the case and the LCD screen and see if that helps seat the connection. I've never looked inside an Elite, but you probably will find picture of the insides if you search that would show how the LCD connects internally.
MOberhardt likes this.
post #4360 of 4396 Old 11-04-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4037 Post(s)
Liked: 3752
Quote:
I’ll try it

If it does turn out to be bad you might contact Quin at Harmony Remote Repair as he does great work and the turn around time is quick.
Rey L and m_snow like this.
post #4361 of 4396 Old 11-06-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
How do I add control of my lights to the light bulb icons on the bottom of the remote? When I try to customize buttons the lights do not show up as devices within the activities. The only way I can control lights right now is through the devices menu.
post #4362 of 4396 Old 11-06-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
How do I add control of my lights to the light bulb icons on the bottom of the remote? When I try to customize buttons the lights do not show up as devices within the activities. The only way I can control lights right now is through the devices menu.
and a 3 second search later... voila:
https://www.howtogeek.com/246750/how...armony-remote/

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #4363 of 4396 Old 11-07-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
and a 3 second search later... voila:
https://www.howtogeek.com/246750/how...armony-remote/
Yeah I spent quite a while searching google and did not find that article, only took me to Logitech site and had no luck there. Thanks for the answer though. Instructions from that site did work.
bp787 likes this.
post #4364 of 4396 Old 11-08-2019, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hi all. Trying to get something for my Dad that works dependably. So, I apologize if I'm asking a few questions that have been answered. Here are key points I need to make sure it has:

-Able to be used by someone entirely smart illiterate.
-Has sufficient backlight he can see what to press in low lighting.
-Is able to be programmed to work with HDMI switcher so two stages to turn on apple Tv, Dvd, Roku, Directv

With those points made, is Harmony Elite the way to go (whatever is the 2019) version? Is there something better? If your Dad was like mine, what would you recommend? Looking to keep it less than $300.
post #4365 of 4396 Old 11-08-2019, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3104 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamester2374 View Post
Hi all. Trying to get something for my Dad that works dependably. So, I apologize if I'm asking a few questions that have been answered. Here are key points I need to make sure it has:

-Able to be used by someone entirely smart illiterate.
-Has sufficient backlight he can see what to press in low lighting.
-Is able to be programmed to work with HDMI switcher so two stages to turn on apple Tv, Dvd, Roku, Directv

With those points made, is Harmony Elite the way to go (whatever is the 2019) version? Is there something better? If your Dad was like mine, what would you recommend? Looking to keep it less than $300.
Can you clarify "smart illiterate"? Do you mean he cannot read at all, or just that he is not good with modern technology? If he can't read, do you think he's capable of memorizing onscreen written labels? Does he have any problems operating his current OEM remotes? Is he able to operate touchscreen devices like phones or tablets?
post #4366 of 4396 Old 11-08-2019, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Can you clarify "smart illiterate"? Do you mean he cannot read at all, or just that he is not good with modern technology? If he can't read, do you think he's capable of memorizing onscreen written labels? Does he have any problems operating his current OEM remotes? Is he able to operate touchscreen devices like phones or tablets?
Smart illiterate meaning he's no good with smart items (phones, tablets, Alexa), etc. Wants apple tv, roku, surround sound but wants 1985 ease of use. Not a techie. I need simple but something that works well. The "watch apple tv" style of touch commands on the elite look like they would work great for him.
post #4367 of 4396 Old 11-08-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamester2374 View Post
Smart illiterate meaning he's no good with smart items (phones, tablets, Alexa), etc. Wants apple tv, roku, surround sound but wants 1985 ease of use. Not a techie. I need simple but something that works well. The "watch apple tv" style of touch commands on the elite look like they would work great for him.
If he's no good with smart devices, he probably won't be any good with a fancy remote like the Elite. Like we said in your other thread, the 665 can do the same thing for far less money and is less complex and more similar to the remotes he already knows how to operate.

While the Elite is a great remote, very functional and powerful, it's not much different than a smart phone. It has a touch screen, it has software issues, it has to be recharged every day, it has to be programmed and updated when you get new devices. My parents can't operate touch screen devices. They have terrible aim and press too hard. They get confused when navigating screens. The Elite would be an expensive doorstop at my parent's house. But everybody is different. I have other friends and relatives my parents age who are great with touchscreens and smart phones.
tanman likes this.
post #4368 of 4396 Old 11-08-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 344
^^ That is the first I've ever heard of "smart-illiterate". In a way I agree with mdavej, but it would be good to give the remote a try. As long as all the activities function correctly it would not be a smart-illiterate problem!

Just make sure all the updates are done every month and also all the IR blasters are pointed correctly.
post #4369 of 4396 Old 11-08-2019, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Total newbie question here, but I've been enjoying my old Harmony One for like a decade, but now after some upgrades I've got a mix of IR and Bluetooth remote devices (namely my AV Receiver and UHD player are still IR, but the OLED, PS4, and Fire TV are Bluetooth). It seems like the Elite is the newest remote to get for this use case. Am I missing another option in the Harmony line that would work or is this it?
post #4370 of 4396 Old 11-08-2019, 03:19 PM

Companion would also work.
post #4371 of 4396 Old 11-09-2019, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Companion would also work.
I have a "smart illiterate" mother-in-law that I setup with the hub and Companion. Solved lots of issues with her older cable remote - things like getting cable box or Fire TV out of sync. I own 2 Elites but I felt they where too "techy" for her (and too $$$).

Another thing I did - plugged the TV, cable box, Fire TV and Harmony Hub into a single outlet strip with an on/off button.

In the rare case where something does go odd with her system, she knows to first press the off button on the Companion, then turn the power strip off, count to 10 and turn the strip back on.

Wait around 10 mins (cable box takes forever to boot) then try again.

This has solved 95% of the problems. I rarely get tech support calls anymore ;-)
pjp likes this.
post #4372 of 4396 Old 11-09-2019, 09:08 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrana View Post
I have a "smart illiterate" mother-in-law that I setup with the hub and Companion. Solved lots of issues with her older cable remote - things like getting cable box or Fire TV out of sync. I own 2 Elites but I felt they where too "techy" for her (and too $$$).

Another thing I did - plugged the TV, cable box, Fire TV and Harmony Hub into a single outlet strip with an on/off button.

In the rare case where something does go odd with her system, she knows to first press the off button on the Companion, then turn the power strip off, count to 10 and turn the strip back on.

Wait around 10 mins (cable box takes forever to boot) then try again.

This has solved 95% of the problems. I rarely get tech support calls anymore ;-)
This is genius. The power strip shutdown may not be elegant, but it is genius nonetheless. The Companion is great -- it's probably the easiest Harmony for a non-techie, and the Companion IR blasting is much more reliable because it comes from the hub and not the remote (so less room for operator error, especially on initial activity startup), but the Companion's lack of a "help" button can be infuriating when, for example, the power state of the TV and cable box get out of sync. The power strip reset will put everything back to a known state -- it may not be elegant, but if there is one thing that non-techies "get", it's how to turn a power strip off and on. Well done!
post #4373 of 4396 Old 11-09-2019, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
This is genius. The power strip shutdown may not be elegant, but it is genius nonetheless. ... Well done!

Thanks, agree it is not the most elegant but in the old computer days we used to call this "The Big R" ;-)
When all else fails, reboot!
post #4374 of 4396 Old 11-09-2019, 10:49 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, agree it is not the most elegant but in the old computer days we used to call this "The Big R" ;-). When all else fails, reboot!
It's elegance lies in its inelegance
post #4375 of 4396 Old 11-09-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks, agree it is not the most elegant but in the old computer days we used to call this "The Big R" ;-)
When all else fails, reboot!
I do exactly the same thing for my mom. Every TV and her computer each have a power strip with a big red switch in easy reach. Solves a ton of issues.
pjp and JGrana like this.
post #4376 of 4396 Old 11-11-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 397
My parents are fairly electronics literate but my in-laws aren't. They always messed up my setup with my Logitech One. Somehow my MIL would turn the TV volume up, and not the AVR. And the AVR was the Volume buttons on the thing!!!

Anywho, it's a lot easier for anybody with the Elite. If nothing else, just for the hub/IR blaster aspect. I wouldn't get one without that again.

No more trying to ingrain "point the remote at the TV for 10 seconds" anymore.
post #4377 of 4396 Old 11-13-2019, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1548
The below is from the Denon 8500H thread ... how do I get Harmony to update their database?
A Denon flagship nearly 2 years old now should be properly in there, right?

Thread post
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post58813912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
^^ It’s been a while, but i was in contact with Logitech, sent them all the codes, and they implemented the ones that are on the Denon website. They even did all the different remote ID codes sets. However the code sets on Denon is a older set, not updated for the newer models. But they should work just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
I’ve been using the 7200WA, guess I’ll re-try the 8500H and compare ...
Ha, busy work maybe ...

Harmony database check:
I deleted the “older” loaded 8500H device and re-loaded it just now.
Result:
No change, the 8500H has only 6 pages of commands vs 15 for the 7200WA,

8500H

7200WA

post #4378 of 4396 Old 11-13-2019, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Do the hub or blaster ever emit two short beeps in some circumstances?

Something in my rack has been doing that for about a week at random intervals, though sometimes there's a string of the the double beeps about 5 min apart.

The other potential culprits are ATV 4k and Lutron Caseta bridge.

Noah
post #4379 of 4396 Old 11-14-2019, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Do the hub or blaster ever emit two short beeps in some circumstances?

Something in my rack has been doing that for about a week at random intervals, though sometimes there's a string of the the double beeps about 5 min apart.

The other potential culprits are ATV 4k and Lutron Caseta bridge.
I have two Elites and have never heard the hub or emitters on either of them emit any sounds. I can't tell you definitively if they do or not just that I have never heard anything.
noah katz likes this.

Mark
post #4380 of 4396 Old 11-14-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Turns out it's a "Replace Backup Battery" warning from my ATT Uverse Optical Network Terminal.
mdavej likes this.

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page