post #4411 of 4634 Old 11-27-2019, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3965 Post(s)
Liked: 3236
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
Will it be fairly easy to use the software to copy the Harmony One over to the Elite? Any tips? Any swelling or other battery issues with the Elite?
The MyHarmony software can copy your activities over to the Elite. It'll even keep the 2 separate remote setups in your account. What doesn't get duplicated are your custom commands and buttons.
mjwagner and focker like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 4634 Old 11-27-2019, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having used this remote for sometime now and following the issues others have had with it, I have concluded that this hub/remote should only be purchased if you have no other options.

There are some functions this remote provides that no other remote on the market provides. If you need these functions, you have no choice but to go this route.

But expect problems.

1. Remote freezes and needs to be reset often.

2. Often need to re-select the device you are trying to control.

3. Cannot effectively use activities if you have multiple stacks in the same room.

4. Still no “IP” only option for devices that are controlled via IP. The IR blast that comes with it when you like it or not forces you to use a different remote, else it will change multiple like devices in the same room.

Use this device only if you must.

Way too “buggy”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4413 of 4634 Old 11-27-2019, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2014 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Zone View Post
Having used this remote for sometime now and following the issues others have had with it, I have concluded that this hub/remote should only be purchased if you have no other options.

There are some functions this remote provides that no other remote on the market provides. If you need these functions, you have no choice but to go this route.

But expect problems.

3. Cannot effectively use activities if you have multiple stacks in the same room.

4. Still no “IP” only option for devices that are controlled via IP. The IR blast that comes with it when you like it or not forces you to use a different remote, else it will change multiple like devices in the same room.

Way too “buggy”.

I’ve been using mine for years now and I rarely have to reset it. Maybe once or twice in a couple of years. The other problems you mention sound like configuration issues that can be fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mjwagner, focker and MOberhardt like this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4414 of 4634 Old 11-27-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Way too “buggy”.
Pretty much all the "bugs" you described can be attributed to WiFi / Bluetooth problems. The fast majority of folks have no such issues. My guess is that you either have very weak signals, or a lot of interference. If you can't improve the wifi environment, consider moving the hub.
mjwagner likes this.
post #4415 of 4634 Old 11-27-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
I ordered a Elite today on the Black Friday sale to replace my trusty and hard working Harmony One. I have no complaints with the Harmony One and it still works well, just getting a little long in the tooth and the screen has some pixels that are doing funky things. My only advice to other owners to keep a battery change schedule every few years before it swells to big.

Will it be fairly easy to use the software to copy the Harmony One over to the Elite? Any tips? Any swelling or other battery issues with the Elite?
I rebuilt all my activities from scratch when I upgraded from An H1 to HE. There were a few commands that I had "learned" into the H1 and I had to do that to the HE as well.

There is a decision point at the start for you to consider. The HE can control devices via IP or IR. I seem to recall that there are some functions proved by IP control (maybe it is with using the phone app) that are not available when using IR. This can only be changed later by adding the device as a new unit and then integrating into your activities and replacing the old one. I am sure someone will correct me if I am incorrect in this.

The software used by the HE on the desktop is different to the H1. In addition, you do not have to cable connect the HE to a desktop PC to make configuration changes. I did not realize this until a few days after getting it.

Hope this helps
focker likes this.
post #4416 of 4634 Old 11-27-2019, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
I rebuilt all my activities from scratch when I upgraded from An H1 to HE. There were a few commands that I had "learned" into the H1 and I had to do that to the HE as well.

There is a decision point at the start for you to consider. The HE can control devices via IP or IR. I seem to recall that there are some functions proved by IP control (maybe it is with using the phone app) that are not available when using IR. This can only be changed later by adding the device as a new unit and then integrating into your activities and replacing the old one. I am sure someone will correct me if I am incorrect in this.

The software used by the HE on the desktop is different to the H1. In addition, you do not have to cable connect the HE to a desktop PC to make configuration changes. I did not realize this until a few days after getting it.

Hope this helps
The Elite can control devices via IR, IP, and BT. IR and BT seem to be the less problematic. Some people have reported lag issues using IP.

Mark
post #4417 of 4634 Old 11-27-2019, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

But expect problems.

Way too “buggy”.

I have two Elites. Been using them for years. I have never experienced any of these problems. I would characterize the Elite as one of the least buggy full function URC currently available, and I have owned and used MANY over the years. I would recommend the Elite as the first choice for a full function URC if you can afford them. Of course YMMV.
ipca204 likes this.

Mark
post #4418 of 4634 Old 11-27-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
I have two Elites. Been using them for years. I have never experienced any of these problems. I would characterize the Elite as one of the least buggy full function URC currently available, and I have owned and used MANY over the years. I would recommend the Elite as the first choice for a full function URC if you can afford them. Of course YMMV.
I agree completely.
mjwagner and JGrana like this.
post #4419 of 4634 Old 11-27-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Pretty much all the "bugs" you described can be attributed to WiFi / Bluetooth problems. The fast majority of folks have no such issues. My guess is that you either have very weak signals, or a lot of interference. If you can't improve the wifi environment, consider moving the hub.

I get 700MBS download and 100MBS upload on the laptop connected via WiFi that sits right next to the hub.

WiFi has nothing to do with the problems.

Harmony has admitted that the problems I am having are due to bugs on their software.

post #4420 of 4634 Old 11-27-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I get 700MBS download and 100MBS upload on the laptop connected via WiFi that sits right next to the hub.

Harmony has admitted that the problems I am having are due to bugs on their software.

No need to be defensive. The main point of his reply was this sentence; “The vast majority of folks have no such issues...”. Most of us are long time users of this product and while it’s impossible to troubleshoot every issue in a forum like this we know we rarely see what you’re describing. The remote works great and the software isn’t broken.

mjwagner, JGrana and ipca204 like this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #4421 of 4634 Old 11-27-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
No need to be defensive. The main point of his reply was this sentence; “The vast majority of folks have no such issues...”. Most of us are long time users of this product and while it’s impossible to troubleshoot every issue in a forum like this we know we rarely see what you’re describing. The remote works great and the software isn’t broken.

Harmony disagrees

post #4422 of 4634 Old 11-27-2019, 06:09 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 492
I agree that IP has issues. I don't use IP on my Elite-controlled system, but in my Companion/Hub system downstairs (I think the same communication type as Elite), IP control of Roku does sometimes freeze from the Companion. While the Companion is frozen, I can still control the hub if I use the iPhone app, then eventually the Companion will unfreeze (I don't think unfreezing is tied to having used the iPhone app, but it's a possibility now that I think about it). It happens maybe once every couple of weeks or so (and I don't use that system very much). I have multi-node WiFi and Roku is still streaming (while the Companion is frozen) a ton more data via the same WiFi than the Harmony requires for control, so I don't think it's a local WiFi issue.

I also sometimes get double clicks with the Companion navigating the Roku left/right/up/down buttons. I don't think I get double clicks from the iPhone app (though I don't use the app enough to be certain) for the same menu navigation buttons. It's not a physical button issue on the Companion since it happens in all directions.

Other than Roku IP, I agree it's rock solid.

The fixed hub and remote blasters on the Elite/Home hub of course are a lot more reliable in blasting than the IR-only Harmony remotes that you swing around while using.
post #4423 of 4634 Old 11-27-2019, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, it’s a buggy piece of junk...I suggest you sell it and get something better at close to the same price point...LOL.
tanman, Keenan and m_snow like this.

Mark
post #4424 of 4634 Old 11-28-2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I agree that IP has issues. I don't use IP on my Elite-controlled system, but in my Companion/Hub system downstairs (I think the same communication type as Elite), IP control of Roku does sometimes freeze from the Companion. While the Companion is frozen, I can still control the hub if I use the iPhone app, then eventually the Companion will unfreeze (I don't think unfreezing is tied to having used the iPhone app, but it's a possibility now that I think about it). It happens maybe once every couple of weeks or so (and I don't use that system very much). I have multi-node WiFi and Roku is still streaming (while the Companion is frozen) a ton more data via the same WiFi than the Harmony requires for control, so I don't think it's a local WiFi issue.

I also sometimes get double clicks with the Companion navigating the Roku left/right/up/down buttons. I don't think I get double clicks from the iPhone app (though I don't use the app enough to be certain) for the same menu navigation buttons. It's not a physical button issue on the Companion since it happens in all directions.

Other than Roku IP, I agree it's rock solid.

The fixed hub and remote blasters on the Elite/Home hub of course are a lot more reliable in blasting than the IR-only Harmony remotes that you swing around while using.

Yes, I have completely given up using the HE for Roku IP and now use my phone. Pain having to use 2 “remotes”.

post #4425 of 4634 Old 11-28-2019, 02:47 AM

Harmony Elite

Quote:
Yeah, it’s a buggy piece of junk...I suggest you sell it and get something better at close to the same price point...LOL.

Below is latest email from Harmony/Logitech....

Hi xxx,

I apologize for the ongoing problems with your Harmony Elite. As you know, the Engineering team is aware of the defects in our software that are affecting you and other customers.

I was told at this time having the profile of the Roku Stick on the Ultra is not a possibility without a change in our backend and how it discovers different IP connected devices. However, I am going to follow up with our team to see where in our next releases can we give an option to run only IP or IR rather than having this IR fallback which is causing unintended consequences that prevent users from operating the Elite in the expected manner.

I will have to reach out to you after the long weekend. I appreciate your willingness to be a beta tester for the software corrections we hope to deliver soon.

I am sorry for your experience. We will continue to work to correct these issues.

Thanks,
Xxxx

Xxxxxxxxx
Customer Experience -Training and Quality
510 713 xxxx

Last edited by Joe Zone; 11-28-2019 at 02:57 AM.
post #4426 of 4634 Old 11-28-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Below is latest email from Harmony/Logitech....

Hi xxx,

I apologize for the ongoing problems with your Harmony Elite. As you know, the Engineering team is aware of the defects in our software that are affecting you and other customers.

I was told at this time having the profile of the Roku Stick on the Ultra is not a possibility without a change in our backend and how it discovers different IP connected devices. However, I am going to follow up with our team to see where in our next releases can we give an option to run only IP or IR rather than having this IR fallback which is causing unintended consequences that prevent users from operating the Elite in the expected manner.

I will have to reach out to you after the long weekend. I appreciate your willingness to be a beta tester for the software corrections we hope to deliver soon.

I am sorry for your experience. We will continue to work to correct these issues.

Thanks,
Xxxx

Xxxxxxxxx
Customer Experience -Training and Quality
510 713 xxxx

Yes, you have made us all aware of your somewhat unusual use case. Given that, the Harmony tech folks are still trying to work with you to get your use case working....now I can see why you recommend to others - "Use this device only if you must."....LOL!
m_snow likes this.

Mark
post #4427 of 4634 Old 11-28-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, you have made us all aware of your somewhat unusual use case. Given that, the Harmony tech folks are still trying to work with you to get your use case working....now I can see why you recommend to others - "Use this device only if you must."....LOL!

"You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the Twilight [Joe] Zone!"

mjwagner and Joe Zone like this.

Mike
post #4428 of 4634 Old 11-28-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Goal was 1 remote for 1 room....So far I have to use 2. And must reset one of them fairly regularly.

post #4429 of 4634 Old 11-28-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2311 Post(s)
Liked: 2395
I feel that I have just scratched the surface in customizing my Harmony Elite (main system) and Companion (Master Bedroom). As a Harmony novice I would appreciate some feedback:

1) Is there any straightforward way (other than some convoluted hack) to make use of the home control buttons on the remote for other device functions? I do not have any home automation devices and would love to re-purpose these unused remote buttons.

2) My wife is remote-illiterate and in the past I have put together spreadsheets detailing what the various buttons on my Sony programmable remotes do for each device/function. Is there a handy Logitech chart showing button layout/function or has anyone here authored something along these lines? It would be particularly useful for the (non-LCD) Companion remote.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #4430 of 4634 Old 11-28-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
1) Is there any straightforward way (other than some convoluted hack) to make use of the home control buttons on the remote for other device functions? I do not have any home automation devices and would love to re-purpose these unused remote buttons.
Sure. As will ALL the buttons, you can assign any command from any device that exists in the activity.
post #4431 of 4634 Old 11-29-2019, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I have an Elite, a 950 (with an added hub) and the new pro (the one with 6 IR outputs and poe) and RARELY do I ever have a problem. MY biggest gripe with the pro is that it had limited programming functionality with the computer software, but just recently THAT stopped working for me and it is now ONLY able to be programmed by the app. I am not sure I have EVER had to "reset" a remote either.
Most of my set ups use either IR or bluetooth as well. When I had a Roku in the mix, I believe I used IP control but don't remember any issues, but that has been replaced with an appletv 4k and an nvidia shield.

I should also add that I am 55 years old and have played with well over 100 universal remotes over the years (maybe more), starting wayyyyy back with my classic memorex cp8 (circa 1989) which was my second or third "universal" remote. And yes, even used ccp with a ton of URC products as well. The Elite is by far the better choice for all but the people with a ton of cash to burn in today's market.
mjwagner and JGrana like this.

Last edited by ipca204; 11-29-2019 at 08:18 AM.
post #4432 of 4634 Old 11-29-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I feel that I have just scratched the surface in customizing my Harmony Elite (main system) and Companion (Master Bedroom). As a Harmony novice I would appreciate some feedback:

2) My wife is remote-illiterate and in the past I have put together spreadsheets detailing what the various buttons on my Sony programmable remotes do for each device/function. Is there a handy Logitech chart showing button layout/function or has anyone here authored something along these lines? It would be particularly useful for the (non-LCD) Companion remote.
This is the reason why I went with all Elites. I make sure that for every activity the buttons do exactly what they are labeled to do and any functionality that is need for which their is not a correctly labeled button I use the touch screen and use a correctly descriptive label. Ever since I did that my wife has no issues. I'll admit it's pricey but it's worth it for the WAF.

Mark
post #4433 of 4634 Old 11-29-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Sure. As will ALL the buttons, you can assign any command from any device that exists in the activity.

Could you walk me through the procedure?

Looking at the "Customize buttons on your Remote" screen in the MyHarmony desktop app, those Home Control buttons are not available for programming.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #4434 of 4634 Old 11-29-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Could you walk me through the procedure?

Looking at the "Customize buttons on your Remote" screen in the MyHarmony desktop app, those Home Control buttons are not available for programming.
Using the MyHarmony desktop app click on "Buttons" in the left pane. Then under "Assign AV Commands" select the activity then click on "Go" and you can assign them to any command of any device included in that activity.
ipca204 likes this.

Mark
post #4435 of 4634 Old 11-29-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Using the MyHarmony desktop app click on "Buttons" in the left pane. Then under "Assign AV Commands" select the activity then click on "Go" and you can assign them to any command of any device included in that activity.

That works for the Elite but does not appear to be an option on the Companion, where there is no "Assign AV Commands" (see below).

With no home automation devices configured, the Home Control buttons do not appear to be accessible.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Harmony Companion Button Programming.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	2647122  

post #4436 of 4634 Old 11-29-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That works for the Elite but does not appear to be an option on the Companion, where there is no "Assign AV Commands" (see below).

With no home automation devices configured, the Home Control buttons do not appear to be accessible.

That is correct. Sorry, in your OP you indicated that you had an Elite and a companion but in your question 1 you did not indicate that you were referring to the Companion. I should have asked for clarification. I don't use the Companion so am afraid I won't be of much help.

Mark
post #4437 of 4634 Old 11-29-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is correct. Sorry, in your OP you indicated that you had an Elite and a companion but in your question 1 you did not indicate that you were referring to the Companion. I should have asked for clarification. I don't use the Companion so am afraid I won't be of much help.

My OP was a bit sloppy.

In fact, I am working right now on the Companion since the system it controls is much less complicated than my main system. Once I get the hang of customizing it completely to my satisfaction, I plan to move on to the Elite. I set up the latter with devices and activities but have not gotten around to fully customizing it yet.

post #4438 of 4634 Old 11-29-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My OP was a bit sloppy.

In fact, I am working right now on the Companion since the system it controls is much less complicated than my main system. Once I get the hang of customizing it completely to my satisfaction, I plan to move on to the Elite. I set up the latter with devices and activities but have not gotten around to fully customizing it yet.
LOL...no worries. I think you will like the Elite better...much more customizable.

Mark
post #4439 of 4634 Old 11-29-2019, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Lightbulb For those with Harmony Hubs who are also in the Apple eco-system

Wanted to ensure people were aware of a relatively new (spring 2019 I understand) nifty app in the Mac store called, “Harmony Bridge”. In addition to bringing on/off capability into HomeKit for all your harmony-controlled devices, it also brings all activities into HomeKit. Hence, I’ve now been able to create Siri Shortcuts for all activities (e.g., “Hey Siri, let’s watch a movie”) which work like a charm

4K/3D Projector: Sony VPL-VW295es | Screen: 120" 16x9 framed 'Screen Goo’ (Digital Grey) | 4K Player: Panasonic DP-UB820-K | Streaming: Apple TV 4K (64 GB) | Gaming: PS4 (500 GB), PS3 Slim (320 GB) | Receiver: Denon AVR-X6500H | Speakers (5.1.4): Axiom VP150 (centre), Axiom M60 x2 (towers), Axiom EP350 (LFE), Axiom QS8 quadpolar x2 (surrounds), Axiom M3 In-Ceiling x4 (atmos) | Remote: Harmony Elite

Last edited by bdmckinl; 11-29-2019 at 10:14 AM.
post #4440 of 4634 Old 11-29-2019, 02:25 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
"You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the Twilight [Joe] Zone!"
I might be wrong because it's been a while since I read Joe's detailed discussion, but I don't think the Roku control problem Joe is seeing has anything to do with his unique usage of it (e.g. using at device-level instead of activity-level). Certainly my Companion/hub is a typical usage -- within the "Watch Roku" activity -- and it has similar issues where it freezes up. Also, Harmony's email seem to suggest that is a problem with IP control in general, not specific to Joe's usage.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the preceding. As I see it, there are 2 sides to this issue:

1) There are some problems with Harmony controlling Roku via IP
2) Harmony is trying to solve it (and it is admirable that they are acknowledging and trying to correct it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page