Harmony Elite - Page 149 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1319Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4441 of 4481 Old 11-29-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,832
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Again, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the preceding. As I see it, there are 2 sides to this issue:

1) There are some problems with Harmony controlling Roku via IP
2) Harmony is trying to solve it (and it is admirable that they are acknowledging and trying to correct it).
Lets not leap to the conclusion that any issues with IP control are actually Harmony's issues. Perhaps they are trying to overcome Roku's sloppy work with some fancy software patches? Its not like Roku is a shining example of software stability.
Keenan and mjwagner like this.
rdgrimes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4442 of 4481 Old 11-29-2019, 03:23 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 1,626
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Lets not leap to the conclusion that any issues with IP control are actually Harmony's issues. Perhaps they are trying to overcome Roku's sloppy work with some fancy software patches? Its not like Roku is a shining example of software stability.

I'm not a defender of Roku by any means, but Harmony seems to characterize it as their fault. I have a case open with Roku now -- Dolby Digital stopped working in my 5.1 (only) AVR a few months ago from the Roku stick. Roku (except some Ultra models) only has Dolby pass-through -- My guess is that the problem started happening because Roku at some point changed from passing through 5.1 (which worked fine on my AVR) to 7.1 (which my older AVR can't handle and therefore reduces to Dolby Pro Logic). Trying to have an intelligent discussion with Roku has been impossible.
pjp is offline  
post #4443 of 4481 Old 11-29-2019, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Lets not leap to the conclusion that any issues with IP control are actually Harmony's issues. Perhaps they are trying to overcome Roku's sloppy work with some fancy software patches? Its not like Roku is a shining example of software stability.
Don’t know. I ditched Roku several years ago due to the restrictions of the platform and standardized on Android based streamers like Nvidia Shield and FireTV. It’s a much more open platform.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4444 of 4481 Old 11-30-2019, 08:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I might be wrong because it's been a while since I read Joe's detailed discussion, but I don't think the Roku control problem Joe is seeing has anything to do with his unique usage of it (e.g. using at device-level instead of activity-level). Certainly my Companion/hub is a typical usage -- within the "Watch Roku" activity -- and it has similar issues where it freezes up. Also, Harmony's email seem to suggest that is a problem with IP control in general, not specific to Joe's usage.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the preceding. As I see it, there are 2 sides to this issue:

1) There are some problems with Harmony controlling Roku via IP
2) Harmony is trying to solve it (and it is admirable that they are acknowledging and trying to correct it).


You are correct.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joe Zone is online now  
post #4445 of 4481 Old 11-30-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,879
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I might be wrong because it's been a while since I read Joe's detailed discussion, but I don't think the Roku control problem Joe is seeing has anything to do with his unique usage of it (e.g. using at device-level instead of activity-level). Certainly my Companion/hub is a typical usage -- within the "Watch Roku" activity -- and it has similar issues where it freezes up. Also, Harmony's email seem to suggest that is a problem with IP control in general, not specific to Joe's usage.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the preceding. As I see it, there are 2 sides to this issue:

1) There are some problems with Harmony controlling Roku via IP
2) Harmony is trying to solve it (and it is admirable that they are acknowledging and trying to correct it).


Since it’s been a while since you read the OP, here’s the post from @Joe Zone . The only thing (1 of 4) he has support on is IP control.


“Having used this remote for sometime now and following the issues others have had with it, I have concluded that this hub/remote should only be purchased if you have no other options.

There are some functions this remote provides that no other remote on the market provides. If you need these functions, you have no choice but to go this route.

But expect problems.

1. Remote freezes and needs to be reset often.

2. Often need to re-select the device you are trying to control.

3. Cannot effectively use activities if you have multiple stacks in the same room.

4. Still no “IP” only option for devices that are controlled via IP. The IR blast that comes with it when you like it or not forces you to use a different remote, else it will change multiple like devices in the same room.

Use this device only if you must.

Way too “buggy”.”


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
post #4446 of 4481 Old 11-30-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I might be wrong because it's been a while since I read Joe's detailed discussion, but I don't think the Roku control problem Joe is seeing has anything to do with his unique usage of it (e.g. using at device-level instead of activity-level). Certainly my Companion/hub is a typical usage -- within the "Watch Roku" activity -- and it has similar issues where it freezes up. Also, Harmony's email seem to suggest that is a problem with IP control in general, not specific to Joe's usage.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the preceding. As I see it, there are 2 sides to this issue:

1) There are some problems with Harmony controlling Roku via IP
2) Harmony is trying to solve it (and it is admirable that they are acknowledging and trying to correct it).
The thing about Joe Zones usage that is somewhat unique is that he is using multiple Roku’s in a single room. That is the root of his biggest issue. I would guess that out of 100 Elite users only a handful, if that, have that type of use case. I’m not saying it shouldn’t work (and that is in fact the thing that Harmony is trying to work with him to fix) but it is not a typical use case. Multiple source devices OF DIFFERENT TYPES in one room work just fine and are more the norm. For example, the two rooms in my home where I use my Elites both have multiple source devices, FireTV Stick 4k, ATV 4k, Nvidia Shield, Xbox One, Sonos Zone Player, and Sony x700 BR player in my home theater - FireTV Stick 4k, Nvidia Shield, Sonos Zone Player, and LG UP970 BR player in my family room and my Elites work perfectly fine. But in neither of those rooms do I have multiple source devices of EXACTLY THE SAME TYPE, multiple Roku’s to use Joe Zones specific use case. That is simply not typical. It is certainly not in the middle part of the bell curve of use cases.
chi_guy50 likes this.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #4447 of 4481 Old 11-30-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,879
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I might be wrong because it's been a while since I read Joe's detailed discussion, but I don't think the Roku control problem Joe is seeing has anything to do with his unique usage of it (e.g. using at device-level instead of activity-level). Certainly my Companion/hub is a typical usage -- within the "Watch Roku" activity -- and it has similar issues where it freezes up. Also, Harmony's email seem to suggest that is a problem with IP control in general, not specific to Joe's usage.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the preceding. As I see it, there are 2 sides to this issue:

1) There are some problems with Harmony controlling Roku via IP
2) Harmony is trying to solve it (and it is admirable that they are acknowledging and trying to correct it).
The thing about Joe Zones usage that is somewhat unique is that he is using multiple Roku’️s in a single room. That is the root of his biggest issue. I would guess that out of 100 Elite users only a handful, if that, have that type of use case. I’️m not saying it shouldn’️t work (and that is in fact the thing that Harmony is trying to work with him to fix) but it is not a typical use case. Multiple source devices OF DIFFERENT TYPES in one room work just fine and are more the norm. For example, the two rooms in my home where I use my Elites both have multiple source devices, FireTV Stick 4k, ATV 4k, Nvidia Shield, Xbox One, Sonos Zone Player, and Sony x700 BR player in my home theater - FireTV Stick 4k, Nvidia Shield, Sonos Zone Player, and LG UP970 BR player in my family room and my Elites work perfectly fine. But in neither of those rooms do I have multiple source devices of EXACTLY THE SAME TYPE, multiple Roku’️s to use Joe Zones specific use case. That is simply not typical. It is certainly not in the middle part of the bell curve of use cases.
That makes sense.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
post #4448 of 4481 Old 11-30-2019, 02:37 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 1,626
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 456
My case is a standard as standard gets. I have 1 Roku Stick in the room. The remote (Companion/Hub in my case) hangs up every couple of days and stops listening to commands, it seems to fix itself 30 seconds or so later. I also get frequent double-clicks, maybe once every 10 clicks, and mine is a Roku stick without an IR receiver. For me, Roku IP control does not work reliably with the Harmony hub. I don't know if Joe's is the same issue as I have.

I do have a Roku Express on another system that I control via infrared with an Elite -- that has no issues, but it is infrared Roku control and not IP.

There may be better streaming platforms out there, but Roku is probably the most popular streaming platform today, so that is a case that needs to work. It would be interesting to hear if whether or not others have issues controlling Roku through IP. I just ordered an Ultra to replace my Roku Stick, so we'll see if that is better.
pjp is offline  
post #4449 of 4481 Old 12-01-2019, 04:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Harmony Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
My case is a standard as standard gets. I have 1 Roku Stick in the room. The remote (Companion/Hub in my case) hangs up every couple of days and stops listening to commands, it seems to fix itself 30 seconds or so later. I also get frequent double-clicks, maybe once every 10 clicks, and mine is a Roku stick without an IR receiver. For me, Roku IP control does not work reliably with the Harmony hub. I don't know if Joe's is the same issue as I have.

I do have a Roku Express on another system that I control via infrared with an Elite -- that has no issues, but it is infrared Roku control and not IP.

There may be better streaming platforms out there, but Roku is probably the most popular streaming platform today, so that is a case that needs to work. It would be interesting to hear if whether or not others have issues controlling Roku through IP. I just ordered an Ultra to replace my Roku Stick, so we'll see if that is better.


You are on target. The real root of my issue is Harmony’s handling of IP commands. The reason I have the problem with multiple devices in the same room is bc Harmony built in the IR fail safe bc they were having problems with IP commands. They could not fix those problems (yet) so they added the IR fails and that, in reality, causes new problems for people with multiple devices in same room.

As for freezing and having to Reset often, yes I had this problem very often when I was still using the HE for IP commands. Now that I am using my phone for IP commands, my HE has not been freezing nearly as often.

Harmony admitted to me over the phone that their units do not currently handle IP well—-clearly they are right.

While multiple units in same room may not be common, having even a single IP unit is not uncommon and that is where Harmony is failing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Joe Zone; 12-01-2019 at 05:05 AM.
Joe Zone is online now  
post #4450 of 4481 Old 12-01-2019, 06:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
My case is a standard as standard gets. I have 1 Roku Stick in the room. The remote (Companion/Hub in my case) hangs up every couple of days and stops listening to commands, it seems to fix itself 30 seconds or so later. I also get frequent double-clicks, maybe once every 10 clicks, and mine is a Roku stick without an IR receiver. For me, Roku IP control does not work reliably with the Harmony hub. I don't know if Joe's is the same issue as I have.

I do have a Roku Express on another system that I control via infrared with an Elite -- that has no issues, but it is infrared Roku control and not IP.

There may be better streaming platforms out there, but Roku is probably the most popular streaming platform today, so that is a case that needs to work. It would be interesting to hear if whether or not others have issues controlling Roku through IP. I just ordered an Ultra to replace my Roku Stick, so we'll see if that is better.
Having been a beta tester for the Elite and still using it to this day along with the new pro 2400 and a 950 with a hub, I will post my thoughts on this. Yes, IP control was and still is a bit "erratic" for even control of a single roku device. Delays, double clicks, etc were an issue for me as late as last year when i set up one via IP control. Maybe it has gotten better since last December when I tried it, but reading up on this it still looks to be an issue. Joe Zone trying to use 4 Roku devices via IP was/is a recipe for disaster. Should it work? Yes, but there are still some limitations and occasionally gremlins rear the ugly heads. Joe is currently the ONLY person I have EVER read about trying to do what he is trying to do so I am not surprised he has encountered issues.


PJP, set up your ultra via IR, you will be much happier! :-)
pjp and Rey L like this.
ipca204 is offline  
post #4451 of 4481 Old 12-01-2019, 07:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
Having been a beta tester for the Elite and still using it to this day along with the new pro 2400 and a 950 with a hub, I will post my thoughts on this. Yes, IP control was and still is a bit "erratic" for even control of a single roku device. Delays, double clicks, etc were an issue for me as late as last year when i set up one via IP control. Maybe it has gotten better since last December when I tried it, but reading up on this it still looks to be an issue. Joe Zone trying to use 4 Roku devices via IP was/is a recipe for disaster. Should it work? Yes, but there are still some limitations and occasionally gremlins rear the ugly heads. Joe is currently the ONLY person I have EVER read about trying to do what he is trying to do so I am not surprised he has encountered issues.





PJP, set up your ultra via IR, you will be much happier! :-)


Thanks for the insight and confirmation of known issues.

I don’t understand why IP control is such a challenge for Harmony when I have no similar issues when using the Roku App on my phone (which only uses IP).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joe Zone is online now  
post #4452 of 4481 Old 12-01-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bp787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,787
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Zone View Post
Thanks for the insight and confirmation of known issues.

I don’t understand why IP control is such a challenge for Harmony when I have no similar issues when using the Roku App on my phone (which only uses IP).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well... roku designed the API that is used by the Roku app that they built to control their own device. Logitech is having to either reverse engineer the networking API or implement the API if roku provided any documentation on it, in which case the documentation is usually incorrect or vague at best. (i do API implementations all the time. the API's are ALWAYS inconsistent/wrong in some way).

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
bp787 is offline  
post #4453 of 4481 Old 12-01-2019, 10:27 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 1,626
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
well... roku designed the API that is used by the Roku app that they built to control their own device. Logitech is having to either reverse engineer the networking API or implement the API if roku provided any documentation on it, in which case the documentation is usually incorrect or vague at best. (i do API implementations all the time. the API's are ALWAYS inconsistent/wrong in some way).
It's in Roku's financial interest that Harmony works well with their devices because Harmony is an enabler of Roku sales when it works and is a determent to Roku sales if it doesn't. These types of "cooperation" decisions in business always come down to "follow the money". Harmony and Roku don't compete at all and Roku is better off with Harmony working well, so Roku has every motivation in the world to provide the best API they can. I very much doubt that Harmony needs to reverse engineer anything. Obviously, nobody knows without API details from Roku/Harmony, but it would be against business logic for Roku not to make the API available.

I suspect that it is a Harmony problem because the Harmony iPhone app seems to work just fine with Roku IP control. I say "seems to" because I haven't used the iPhone app all that much -- but the iPhone app continues controlling the Roku when the Harmony remote freezes on Roku control. I also haven't seen any double clicks with the app. Both the App and remote use the same Roku API, so my guess is that the fault lies with Harmony's communication between the remote and hub.
pjp is offline  
post #4454 of 4481 Old 12-01-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bp787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,787
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
It's in Roku's financial interest that Harmony works well with their devices because Harmony is an enabler of Roku sales when it works and is a determent to Roku sales if it doesn't. These types of "cooperation" decisions in business always come down to "follow the money". Harmony and Roku don't compete at all and Roku is better off with Harmony working well, so Roku has every motivation in the world to provide the best API they can. I very much doubt that Harmony needs to reverse engineer anything. Obviously, nobody knows without API details from Roku/Harmony, but it would be against business logic for Roku not to make the API available.

I suspect that it is a Harmony problem because the Harmony iPhone app seems to work just fine with Roku IP control. I say "seems to" because I haven't used the iPhone app all that much -- but the iPhone app continues controlling the Roku when the Harmony remote freezes on Roku control. I also haven't seen any double clicks with the app. Both the App and remote use the same Roku API, so my guess is that the fault lies with Harmony's communication between the remote and hub.
I didn't say it wasn't harmony's problem. what I was getting at is that Roku has a much better chance at controlling their own equipment with their own apps than third parties, given that they know the interface intimately. I've had problems with google controlling a roku tv as well. most of the time it works. sometimes it doesn't. I don't like that you can't easily force devices to use only IP if it's available, though. that's all on them for not providing that.

ROKU uses a RESTful API. I have programmed RESTful APIs before. Sometimes they're great/simple. sometimes things don't work right. What I have seen that often causes with REST interfaces is that the network the client system is on can sometimes drop, block (basically eat) rest commands. they're often latent end to end, especially depending on size of the command.

just for fun, here's an example of a ROKU command and response to query currently active tv channels: (note, pulled from their documentation)

$ curl 'http://192.168.1.134:8060/query/tv-active-channel'

<tv-channel>
<channel>
<number>14.3</number>
<name>getTV</name>
<type>air-digital</type>
<user-hidden>false</user-hidden>
<active-input>true</active-input>
<signal-state>valid</signal-state>
<signal-mode>480i</signal-mode>
<signal-quality>20</signal-quality>
<signal-strength>-75</signal-strength>
<program-title>Airwolf</program-title>
<program-description>The team will travel all around the world in order to shut down a global crime ring.</program-description>
<program-ratings>TV-14-D-V</program-ratings>
<program-analog-audio>none</program-analog-audio>
<program-digital-audio>stereo</program-digital-audio>
<program-audio-languages>eng</program-audio-languages>
<program-audio-formats>AC3</program-audio-formats>
<program-audio-language>eng</program-audio-language>
<program-audio-format>AC3</program-audio-format>
<program-has-cc>true</program-has-cc>
</channel>
</tv-channel>


Yes, harmony can do better with handling issues with the ROKU api. without trying to interface with the ROKU myself, I don't know what types of difficulties there are within the API. I will note that I loathe xml/human readable APIs. binary is always more efficient and easier to parse for a good programmer. Protobuf/GRPC is much more efficient and easier to deal with.
mjwagner likes this.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
bp787 is offline  
post #4455 of 4481 Old 12-01-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,737
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
I feel that I have just scratched the surface in customizing my Harmony Elite (main system) and Companion (Master Bedroom). As a Harmony novice I would appreciate some feedback:


1) Is there any straightforward way (other than some convoluted hack) to make use of the home control buttons on the remote for other device functions? I do not have any home automation devices and would love to re-purpose these unused remote buttons.


2) My wife is remote-illiterate and in the past I have put together spreadsheets detailing what the various buttons on my Sony programmable remotes do for each device/function. Is there a handy Logitech chart showing button layout/function or has anyone here authored something along these lines? It would be particularly useful for the (non-LCD) Companion remote.

I thought I would run this by Logitech support just for $#its and giggles. They confirmed what we already knew:

"This is what differs the harmony elite remote and the companion remote. The Harmony Elite has the capability to control entertainment devices directly and home control. While the harmony companion only allows to control Home control and not entertainment devices directly. This explains why you cannot assign any button commands to the home control buttons."
mjwagner and m_snow like this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #4456 of 4481 Old 12-02-2019, 07:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
It's in Roku's financial interest that Harmony works well with their devices because Harmony is an enabler of Roku sales when it works and is a determent to Roku sales if it doesn't. These types of "cooperation" decisions in business always come down to "follow the money". Harmony and Roku don't compete at all and Roku is better off with Harmony working well, so Roku has every motivation in the world to provide the best API they can. I very much doubt that Harmony needs to reverse engineer anything. Obviously, nobody knows without API details from Roku/Harmony, but it would be against business logic for Roku not to make the API available.

I suspect that it is a Harmony problem because the Harmony iPhone app seems to work just fine with Roku IP control. I say "seems to" because I haven't used the iPhone app all that much -- but the iPhone app continues controlling the Roku when the Harmony remote freezes on Roku control. I also haven't seen any double clicks with the app. Both the App and remote use the same Roku API, so my guess is that the fault lies with Harmony's communication between the remote and hub.


My conversations with Logitech led me to believe that there problems with IP control are not limited to Roku. They seem to have the same issues with IP control with all device manufacturers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joe Zone is online now  
post #4457 of 4481 Old 12-02-2019, 12:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I dont know if this is Elite specific, but I am using the Elite.

What is the best practice for the order in which I should power all my devices on?

For example in my acyivity I have

Sony TV
Sony sound bar
Nvidia Shield TV

For the best hdmi handshaking etc... what do you recommend be powered on first, last...

Thanks

65" Sony A9G | 49" Sony X900E | Sony HT-ST5000 SB | 2019 Nvidia Shield TV Pro | Xbox One X
jbalsor is offline  
post #4458 of 4481 Old 12-02-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,879
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalsor View Post
I dont know if this is Elite specific, but I am using the Elite.



What is the best practice for the order in which I should power all my devices on?



For example in my acyivity I have



Sony TV

Sony sound bar

Nvidia Shield TV



For the best hdmi handshaking etc... what do you recommend be powered on first, last...



Thanks


Sony TV
Shield
Sony TV HDMI input 2 or 3.

I don’t have a soundbar so someone else can advise on that one.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jbalsor likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
post #4459 of 4481 Old 12-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Sony TV
Shield
Sony TV HDMI input 2 or 3.

I don’t have a soundbar so someone else can advise on that one.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I should add that right now I am routing the shield through the HDMI input on the sony HTST5000 sound bar then to the TV

65" Sony A9G | 49" Sony X900E | Sony HT-ST5000 SB | 2019 Nvidia Shield TV Pro | Xbox One X
jbalsor is offline  
post #4460 of 4481 Old 12-02-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,879
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalsor View Post
I should add that right now I am routing the shield through the HDMI input on the sony HTST5000 sound bar then to the TV


Then maybe fire that one up first.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jbalsor and ipca204 like this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
post #4461 of 4481 Old 12-02-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,748
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
I always do the TV first since it takes the longest to power up. Keep in mind that if you have HDMI Control (CEC) enabled on any of your devices it will muck with what Harmony is trying to do. So either turn it off, or leave it on and make sure Harmony is programmed to never change any inputs (not easy).
tanman, jbalsor and ipca204 like this.
mdavej is online now  
post #4462 of 4481 Old 12-02-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 354
^^ With CEC on, after the TV starts up, let it get to sound bar settings controller and then after a few delays input the next or delay and next for the device/sound required. Slow but works.
jbalsor likes this.
tanman is offline  
post #4463 of 4481 Old 12-04-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,737
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Looking for feedback regarding programming the TiVo controls to my Harmony remote.

I have been unable to correctly duplicate the "long press" Replay and Advance functions of the TiVo remote where a simple press of Replay repeats the last 8 seconds of the show, whereas a long press jumps to the beginning of a show. Likewise, a simple press of the Advance button moves the video forward in 30-second increments, whereas a long press jumps to the end of the show. Because each of the Harmony remote buttons has a discrete short and long press function I have been unable to replicate the TiVo long-press activity to jump to the beginning and end of a show. I found a post on the Logitech Support Community detailing this same issue two years ago but it got no response.

These discrete controls are present on the app so it would seem that the Logitech database should be able to allow me to program them to the remote buttons but so far I have not located them in the MyHarmony menu system.

Does anyone know of a solution?

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #4464 of 4481 Old 12-04-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Looking for feedback regarding programming the TiVo controls to my Harmony remote.

I have been unable to correctly duplicate the "long press" Replay and Advance functions of the TiVo remote where a simple press of Replay repeats the last 8 seconds of the show, whereas a long press jumps to the beginning of a show. Likewise, a simple press of the Advance button moves the video forward in 30-second increments, whereas a long press jumps to the end of the show. Because each of the Harmony remote buttons has a discrete short and long press function I have been unable to replicate the TiVo long-press activity to jump to the beginning and end of a show. I found a post on the Logitech Support Community detailing this same issue two years ago but it got no response.

These discrete controls are present on the app so it would seem that the Logitech database should be able to allow me to program them to the remote buttons but so far I have not located them in the MyHarmony menu system.

Does anyone know of a solution?
Are they actually discrete commands or is it just long or short press of the same button on the OEM remote. What I mean is like their are some things you can do on a FireTV that require long and short press of a button but they aren’t actually discrete commands. To do that with a Harmony Elite you just make sure that both long and short press are defined as the same command and it works. May not work the same way for a TiVo, don’t know as I don’t have any.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #4465 of 4481 Old 12-04-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Are they actually discrete commands or is it just long or short press of the same button on the OEM remote. What I mean is like their are some things you can do on a FireTV that require long and short press of a button but they aren’t actually discrete commands. To do that with a Harmony Elite you just make sure that both long and short press are defined as the same command and it works. May not work the same way for a TiVo, don’t know as I don’t have any.
As an example. Using the “home” button for FireTV. Quick press just takes you to the home screen. Long press brings up the shortcut menu (the one that has the time at the top). To get that to work with the Elite you just make sure whatever key is mapped as “home” has that defined for both long and short press.
chi_guy50 and bmcn like this.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #4466 of 4481 Old 12-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
cherry ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Looking for feedback regarding programming the TiVo controls to my Harmony remote.

I have been unable to correctly duplicate the "long press" Replay and Advance functions of the TiVo remote where a simple press of Replay repeats the last 8 seconds of the show, whereas a long press jumps to the beginning of a show. Likewise, a simple press of the Advance button moves the video forward in 30-second increments, whereas a long press jumps to the end of the show. Because each of the Harmony remote buttons has a discrete short and long press function I have been unable to replicate the TiVo long-press activity to jump to the beginning and end of a show. I found a post on the Logitech Support Community detailing this same issue two years ago but it got no response.

These discrete controls are present on the app so it would seem that the Logitech database should be able to allow me to program them to the remote buttons but so far I have not located them in the MyHarmony menu system.

Does anyone know of a solution?
This is what works for me

The <<< and >>> buttons are set to Replay and Advance for both short and long press

The Record button is set to Rewind for short press and Record for long press

The Stop button is set to Fast Forward for short press and Slow for long press
chi_guy50 likes this.
cherry ghost is offline  
post #4467 of 4481 Old 12-04-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,737
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
This is what works for me

The <<< and >>> buttons are set to Replay and Advance for both short and long press

The Record button is set to Rewind for short press and Record for long press

The Stop button is set to Fast Forward for short press and Slow for long press

Thank you for that excellent response! I may opt to map these options differently but your arrangement works as designed. Much appreciated.
cherry ghost likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
chi_guy50 is offline  
post #4468 of 4481 Old 12-06-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Before I dive into further research, does anyone know how to NOT have the OLED TV turn off while switching from Cable TV watching to BD Movies and vice-versa? Do not understand why it doesn't sense that the display is already on!
tanman is offline  
post #4469 of 4481 Old 12-06-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Before I dive into further research, does anyone know how to NOT have the OLED TV turn off while switching from Cable TV watching to BD Movies and vice-versa? Do not understand why it doesn't sense that the display is already on!
First thing I would suspect is CEC...
MOberhardt likes this.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #4470 of 4481 Old 12-06-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 354
^^ I turned it off, things work better. But this TV turning off still continues.
tanman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Remote Control Area

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off