pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
My One seemed like it'd go weeks. I'm still in the mindset of not leaving on the charger because of it. I really ought to just place the remotes on the cradle, why not?

My Harmony One goes for months without a recharge (though it's helped by the fact that I don't use it that often). I only recharge it when it's dead, which seems like never. I suspect it's better for long-term battery health to charge only when needed, though I think modern battery technology is better at handling frequent recharges so it may not make a huge difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4663 Old 01-09-2020, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
I dunno.

Since getting the Elite (new), the battery runs down in about 4 day w/o any use whatsoever, unless the hub being "live" counts as use.

Sounds like I might have gotten a bum battery based on what you said.
if yours runs out of battery in four days WITHOUT any use I would consider that a very very bad battery.
post #4593 of 4663 Old 01-09-2020, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
if yours runs out of battery in four days WITHOUT any use I would consider that a very very bad battery.

hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Our Elite runs out of battery pretty fast and always has since new -- I would guess after a day or two, though I haven't measured.

How many hours of use in that time?

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4594 of 4663 Old 01-10-2020, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4881 Post(s)
Liked: 2891
Has anyone with the Elite seen this weird issue where part of the screen is cut off with a rectangle. It seems to be sporadic where it doesn't happen all the time but when it does, it will cover up an activity or a device so that you can't see it. I don't know if I should call Harmony support about it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Harmony2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	2667530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Harmony.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	2667532  

lujan
608 Ultra HD
723 HD
4 SD
post #4595 of 4663 Old 01-10-2020, 11:34 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
How many hours of use in that time?

I'll see if I can get more information. I rarely use that system -- my son is the one who uses it 99% of the time. Battery life was a radical shift from the prior Harmony (I think an 880), so he got in the habit of putting the Elite back in the cradle nightly. I'll ask him to not charge it nightly and see what kind of battery life he gets.
noah katz likes this.
post #4596 of 4663 Old 01-10-2020, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Thanks; it sounds like my short time before needing recharge might not be that unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I'll see if I can get more information. I rarely use that system -- my son is the one who uses it 99% of the time. Battery life was a radical shift from the prior Harmony (I think an 880), so he got in the habit of putting the Elite back in the cradle nightly. I'll ask him to not charge it nightly and see what kind of battery life he gets.

Noah
post #4597 of 4663 Old 01-10-2020, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1082 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Has anyone with the Elite seen this weird issue where part of the screen is cut off with a rectangle. It seems to be sporadic where it doesn't happen all the time but when it does, it will cover up an activity or a device so that you can't see it. I don't know if I should call Harmony support about it?
Perform a factory reset and then a resync on the handheld remote (see instructions below). If the problem persists I would then contact Harmony support.

Press and hold the Menu button (located above the Channel Up button) and the Off button together for 20 seconds.
The remote screen will turn off, then turn on again displaying the image of a remote and a circular arrow.
After a few seconds your remote will be restored to factory defaults and you may sync again.
ipca204 likes this.

Mark
post #4598 of 4663 Old 01-10-2020, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4881 Post(s)
Liked: 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Perform a factory reset and then a resync on the handheld remote (see instructions below). If the problem persists I would then contact Harmony support.

Press and hold the Menu button (located above the Channel Up button) and the Off button together for 20 seconds.
The remote screen will turn off, then turn on again displaying the image of a remote and a circular arrow.
After a few seconds your remote will be restored to factory defaults and you may sync again.
Thanks, I just finished calling them and they had me do a power cycle and that seems to have cleared the issue. These Harmony remotes hardly ever get power cycled so I'm going to have to remember this if this issue crops up again.

lujan
608 Ultra HD
723 HD
4 SD
post #4599 of 4663 Old 01-12-2020, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
do you leave the remote on the charger when not in use? if response times are "laggy" you may need to adjust some settings...
No I don't. I've been on with support and no settings we've tried have addressed the issues.
post #4600 of 4663 Old 01-12-2020, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
No I don't. I've been on with support and no settings we've tried have addressed the issues.
I had a week or so where the remote was acting "laggy". I thought it was a recent update or something else that changed, but it ended up being caused by the fact that someone had bumped one of the IR repeaters. Is the remote laggy on all device controls or just one device?

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #4601 of 4663 Old 01-12-2020, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
I had a week or so where the remote was acting "laggy". I thought it was a recent update or something else that changed, but it ended up being caused by the fact that someone had bumped one of the IR repeaters. Is the remote laggy on all device controls or just one device?
It's hard to be certain as, for example, on my Shield it SEEMS okay, but there's not much to compare it to. I certainly can't tell much about how laggy it may or may not be with my projector, or Blu-Ray. Where you can really tell is on cable (Xfinity) where I can directly compare it to their remote (the X1 DVR and remote). There it's SIGNIFICANTLY slow to respond in comparison to the actual remote. I can FF, RW, move through the guide, with near-pinpoint accuracy with the default remote, but with the Elite, it's like operating in a pool of molasses. I overshoot and undershoot with every control. Searching? Move through letters on a keyboard and I end up two characters too far. FF through a commercial and I end up 20 seconds into a show or 20 seconds still to go with the commercial.
post #4602 of 4663 Old 01-13-2020, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
It's hard to be certain as, for example, on my Shield it SEEMS okay, but there's not much to compare it to. I certainly can't tell much about how laggy it may or may not be with my projector, or Blu-Ray. Where you can really tell is on cable (Xfinity) where I can directly compare it to their remote (the X1 DVR and remote). There it's SIGNIFICANTLY slow to respond in comparison to the actual remote. I can FF, RW, move through the guide, with near-pinpoint accuracy with the default remote, but with the Elite, it's like operating in a pool of molasses. I overshoot and undershoot with every control. Searching? Move through letters on a keyboard and I end up two characters too far. FF through a commercial and I end up 20 seconds into a show or 20 seconds still to go with the commercial.
I am pretty sure that the Xfinity remote communicates with the X1 via RF not IR so that is not a good comparison. You would have to switch the Xfinity remote to use IR for a reasonable comparison.

My Hub and the X1 sit side by side on a shelf and if the positioning is not not correct or one of the devices is move the response becomes laggy or command are missed.
post #4603 of 4663 Old 01-13-2020, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
shield is controlled by IR or bluetooth? My directv dvr originally used to do what you are describing with your xfinity box and i had to adjust the repeats in the elite. Once that was done it was as fast as the original..
post #4604 of 4663 Old 01-13-2020, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
that sounds exactly like what I was experiencing with Uverse box when the IR repeater was moved by accident. perhaps you could reposition everything?

I also recall some others in this thread discussing the xfinity boxes. search it.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #4605 of 4663 Old 01-13-2020, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I agree with @Agrajag , the Elite is laggy compared to the remotes supplied with my devices, but you adjust to it fairly quickly. Still, if I'm watching a UFC on Fight Pass or something like that, I prefer to use my Apple TV's remote to scrub through to the next fight or round, the Elite is too imprecise for that. The short battery life doesn't bother me that much, just need to remember to put it on the dock before going to bed if it's running low.
post #4606 of 4663 Old 01-13-2020, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
I am pretty sure that the Xfinity remote communicates with the X1 via RF not IR so that is not a good comparison. You would have to switch the Xfinity remote to use IR for a reasonable comparison.

My Hub and the X1 sit side by side on a shelf and if the positioning is not not correct or one of the devices is move the response becomes laggy or command are missed.
Well, that's a design gripe of mine. Here we have an RF device that could, but doesn't, send out RF to the devices, but does send them out to the hub.... Okay.... Nice job adding an unnecessary middle-man to the process.

FWIW, my hub is close to the X1, but behind it. It is connected by an IR extender.
post #4607 of 4663 Old 01-14-2020, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 34
There is no such thing as a universal RF remote So Harmony is not able to communicate with RF devices other than it's own Hub. Each RF device is propritary and can only be controlled by it's own remote.

Quote:
Well, that's a design gripe of mine. Here we have an RF device that could, but doesn't, send out RF to the devices, but does send them out to the hub.... Okay.... Nice job adding an unnecessary middle-man to the process.

FWIW, my hub is close to the X1, but behind it. It is connected by an IR extender.
post #4608 of 4663 Old 01-14-2020, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehaz1 View Post
There is no such thing as a universal RF remote So Harmony is not able to communicate with RF devices other than it's own Hub. Each RF device is propritary and can only be controlled by it's own remote.
I'm not so sure "proprietary" is the right word here. A device like a projector rarely does things like encoding their RF signals. Anything would be able to control it if it was able to work at the same frequency. The complexity of being able to easily switch through a range of frequencies seems far more like the the hurdle that's being faced in such a device. It would also be quite a bit more expensive. Another example are garage door openers and how easily you can get other universal devices to control them. It's not like the signal being sent out is "owned" by the manufacturer. It's just somewhat unique to that manufacturer for that device.

I'd be very curious to see a list or frequencies used by popular devices that employ RF. I have to believe that chipsets and such have limited the frequencies devices use. Perhaps it's not quite a varied as one might think. Then again, maybe it's worse....
post #4609 of 4663 Old 01-14-2020, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Masters View Post
I agree with @Agrajag , the Elite is laggy compared to the remotes supplied with my devices, but you adjust to it fairly quickly. Still, if I'm watching a UFC on Fight Pass or something like that, I prefer to use my Apple TV's remote to scrub through to the next fight or round, the Elite is too imprecise for that. The short battery life doesn't bother me that much, just need to remember to put it on the dock before going to bed if it's running low.

In my basement HT the elite charging station has a place. Unfortunately in my family room there no good place for it, and limited battery life, 2-3 days if not charged, has kept me from getting a 2nd elite.
I’m getting by on a Harmony 665, but at times line of sight is not there, dog or person in way....

Sent from my iPhone 11Pro using Tapatalk
pjp likes this.
post #4610 of 4663 Old 01-14-2020, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Based on comments I have seen it seems that whether you experience any lag in response with the Elite is somewhat dependent on your mix of devices. I have 2 Elites, one in my family room and one in my home theater. I experience zero lag issues with either one, and I have lots of equipment that the Elites control in both locations. One thing to note is that I don’t have any cable or sat equipment. Based on some of the comments they apparently tend to be the most problematic wrt lag.
tanman likes this.

Mark
post #4611 of 4663 Old 01-14-2020, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked: 3244
I have zero lag complaints as well. Note that all my devices are connected to the network by Ethernet, only the Hub is wifi.
tanman and mjwagner like this.
post #4612 of 4663 Old 01-14-2020, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4207 Post(s)
Liked: 3920
Zero lag with 10 devices on a 950/Hub combo here.
mjwagner likes this.
post #4613 of 4663 Old 01-14-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Based on comments I have seen it seems that whether you experience any lag in response with the Elite is somewhat dependent on your mix of devices. I have 2 Elites, one in my family room and one in my home theater. I experience zero lag issues with either one, and I have lots of equipment that the Elites control in both locations. One thing to note is that I don’t have any cable or sat equipment. Based on some of the comments they apparently tend to be the most problematic wrt lag.
Neither do I. I have a C9 OLED, a Denon AVR, an Apple TV4K and a Panasonic BD player - there is a small amount of lag when controlling these devices vs their native remotes. Like I said, the delay is small and you get used to it, but it's there. I don't think it has anything to do with the components, rather everything to do with the remote, its IR transmitters and the processing involved in managing Activities.
fmalczewski likes this.
post #4614 of 4663 Old 01-14-2020, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Neither do I. I have a C9 OLED, a Denon AVR, an Apple TV4K and a Panasonic BD player - there is a small amount of lag when controlling these devices vs their native remotes. Like I said, the delay is small and you get used to it, but it's there. I don't think it has anything to do with the components, rather everything to do with the remote, its IR transmitters and the processing involved in managing Activities.
I don't know what the issue is then for some folks. Like I said I experience absolutely zero lag on either of my Elites as compared to the oem remotes (I actually had to test to check as I don't ever normally use the oem remotes). For reference here is the main equipment in each location:

Family room - LG OLED65B7A, LG UP970, ATV 4k, FireTV Stick 4k, Nvidia Shield (2017), Yamaha YSP-4300

Home theater - Optoma UHZ65, UBP X700, ATV 4k, FireTV Stick 4k, Nvidia Shield (2017), Denon X6400H

Mark
post #4615 of 4663 Old 01-14-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I don't know what the issue is then for some folks. Like I said I experience absolutely zero lag on either of my Elites as compared to the oem remotes (I actually had to test to check as I don't ever normally use the oem remotes). For reference here is the main equipment in each location:

Family room - LG OLED65B7A, LG UP970, ATV 4k, FireTV Stick 4k, Nvidia Shield (2017), Yamaha YSP-4300

Home theater - Optoma UHZ65, UBP X700, ATV 4k, FireTV Stick 4k, Nvidia Shield (2017), Denon X6400H
There might be a more interesting scientific backdrop to this discrepancy. I believe the average person lags behind the world around them by 80ms (the lag depends on your height - no, seriously). As a result, we do adjust to lag within a certain threshold quite readily. Maybe some people are just more sensitive to it than others. I'm an avid gamer and retired fighter, perhaps that makes me more sensitive?

I have my remote set up to directly control my TV through it's own IR emitter, the AVR and BDP through the extenders - my blinds and PS4 (which I neglected to mention) are controlled through BT and wi-fi respectively. I think I have all bases covered to make a valid judgement.

Another skew on this may be that more avenues of connection add to lag? I can't make any definitive statements other than to say my remote's lag is indeed noticeable.

Last edited by Ken Masters; 01-14-2020 at 03:43 PM.
post #4616 of 4663 Old 01-14-2020, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Their might be a more interesting scientific backdrop to this discrepancy. I believe the average person lags behind the world around them by 80ms (the lag depends on your height - no, seriously). As a result, we do adjust to lag within a certain threshold quite readily. Maybe some people are just more sensitive to it than others. I'm an avid gamer and retired fighter, perhaps that makes me more sensitive?

I have my remote set up to directly control my TV through it's own IR emitter, the AVR and BDP through the extenders - my blinds and PS4 (which I neglected to mention) are controlled through BT and wi-fi respectively. I think I have all bases covered to make a valid judgement.

Another skew on this may be that more avenues of connection add to lag? I can't make any definitive statements other than to say my remote's lag is indeed noticeable.
I’m definitely not questioning the validity of anyone’s experience. It is clear that some folks experience lag with their Elites. I’m just stumped a bit as to why some do and some don’t. It certainly could be as you say that some folks are simply more sensitive to it than others. I will note, in addition to everything else I have mentioned, that I don’t use the Ir emitter on the Elite handheld to control anything...I just don’t want to ever have to have it pointed in any particular direction.
tanman and Ken Masters like this.

Mark
post #4617 of 4663 Old 01-14-2020, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
I’m definitely not questioning the validity of anyone’s experience. It is clear that some folks experience lag with their Elites. I’m just stumped a bit as to why some do and some don’t. It certainly could be as you say that some folks are simply more sensitive to it than others. I will note, in addition to everything else I have mentioned, that I don’t use the Ir emitter on the Elite handheld to control anything...I just don’t want to ever have to have it pointed in any particular direction.

I agree with this. Either I am getting old or the screen delayed reaction of 2 seconds that I programmed throws me off for the other. But if there is a lag while button push I do not notice it. I am not a gamer maybe that's it!
post #4618 of 4663 Old 01-14-2020, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post

No lag at all here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #4619 of 4663 Old 01-14-2020, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hello

I wanted to see if you can help me in my predicament. I bought the Harmony Elite to control all the system and it is working awesome. One problem im having is when i want to turn off my activity it leaves my projector ON. When i looked in the harmony data base of my EPSON LS10500 it didn't find it. I used the previous model the EPSON LS10000 and the controller works find it can turn ON my projector, use the menu and directional buttons. When i have to turn off the activity it turn off everything just find but it leaves the projector ON. What i had to do is go to "devices" press the projector, then press the "Turn off" on the screen and it did turn off. IF it is only me then i could manage but, i bought it for my parents and they are not that tech savvy. I want to get a 1 press solution for them.
post #4620 of 4663 Old 01-15-2020, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Has anyone heard when Logitech is going to update their Harmony app to work on macOS Catalina?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page