Forum Jump: 
 1125Likes

post #1141 of 3956 Old 12-01-2016, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Harmony 950 question

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the Harmony 950 is the same as the Elite, without the hub, which I don't need. That being said, here's some background: I started with a Harmony One, which was great, until I broke the screen and ruined it; I then went to a 700, which was fine except it couldn't control all of my activities; next, a Touch, OK, I guess except for the terrible ergonomics. But here's my real problem with the Touch: I have a small, square living room, with the equipment rack in the corner. The Touch just doesn't have enough beam spread to reliably connect with the equipment (I know this because the xfinity remote has no problem at all, but the whole point of a universal remote is to not need the xfinity one, or the Marantz one either, for that matter, which also works better than the Touch). So, my question: does the 950 have a wider beam spread than the Touch? If so, I think the $250 will be worth it. If not, not so much. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 3956 Old 12-02-2016, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisGC View Post
I got mine recently, but the backlight seems not to be very uniform. There are a couple of rows at the bottom that seem to have very little to no backlight; the color buttons row is practically unlit and the ones above and below are also much dimmer than the rest of the remote - imgur.com/a/uQT0m . Should I get a replacement or this is a feature?
I have an update, for what it's worth. I posted this question over at the logitech community forum and apparently it's just the way it is:
community.logitech.com/s/question/0D531000065xAuqCAE/harmony-elite-backlight?t=1480683724240
post #1143 of 3956 Old 12-02-2016, 06:20 AM
fly

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone know if I can get the dimmer control for my lights into the screen on my Activities?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 3956 Old 12-03-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 87
My Elite's backlight is rather uniform for all buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisGC View Post
I have an update, for what it's worth. I posted this question over at the logitech community forum and apparently it's just the way it is:
community.logitech.com/s/question/0D531000065xAuqCAE/harmony-elite-backlight?t=1480683724240
post #1145 of 3956 Old 12-04-2016, 02:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
My Elite's backlight is rather uniform for all buttons.
So is mine.

LG OLED65C7 | Denon S930H | Klipsch 5.1 setup - 2 Forte - 1 R-25C - 2 R-14S
BA Sub w/Bosch amp | Sony BDP S570
post #1146 of 3956 Old 12-04-2016, 03:11 AM

Liked: 0
@Michael9009 and @Athlon646464 Thank you so much for your feedback.
In any case I already packed it to send for a replacement. It might be me being picky but it was just bugging me too much :s
post #1147 of 3956 Old 12-04-2016, 03:14 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly View Post
Anyone know if I can get the dimmer control for my lights into the screen on my Activities?
I am interested to confirm this point as well because I have read somewhere it is not possible. At the same time, the CNET article mentioned below says..

"I didn't have much trouble getting the Harmony Hub up and running. After a few minutes of fiddling with the app, I had it connected to our TV and to the Roku stick plugged into it, along with the Philips Hue and Lifx smart bulbs in the living room. With a little bit of programming, I could turn the TV on, switch to the Roku input, launch Netflix, and dim the lights all with a single button press."

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-ale...oice-controls/

Does this mean, Activities can natively involve Home Automation commands? Or does it involve something like IFTTT? It would be nice if someone where to confirm. Thanks in advance.
post #1148 of 3956 Old 12-04-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmmgm View Post
Does this mean, Activities can natively involve Home Automation commands? Or does it involve something like IFTTT? It would be nice if someone where to confirm. Thanks in advance.
I have Insteon dimmers, switches, bulbs and their Hub. I can include any of my devices in both starting and turning off activities natively - no IFTTT needed.

A nice feature is you can tell harmony to perform the lighting functions based on sun up or sun down as well.

You cannot call a scene from the Insteon Hub. They may implement that in a future release.

post #1149 of 3956 Old 12-04-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon646464 View Post
You cannot call a scene from the Insteon Hub. They may implement that in a future release.
You can assign one of the Home Control buttons on the Elite Remote to a Insteon Light Scene.. I push one button on my Elite, and it executes the scene.

As far as I know, aside from using the 4 dedicated home control buttons, as you said... you can't call up and view all the different scenes you have and select one of those.

I just wanted to mention that a scene could be assigned to a button in case that wasn't clear to anyone reading that post.
post #1150 of 3956 Old 12-04-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
You can assign one of the Home Control buttons on the Elite Remote to a Insteon Light Scene.. I push one button on my Elite, and it executes the scene.

As far as I know, aside from using the 4 dedicated home control buttons, as you said... you can't call up and view all the different scenes you have and select one of those.

I just wanted to mention that a scene could be assigned to a button in case that wasn't clear to anyone reading that post.
Thanks for clarifying. I was talking about activities. Good to know about the home control buttons.
post #1151 of 3956 Old 12-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 412
I just bought a Harmony Elite. I have been using an 1100 for several years. I've always done the setup on the 1100 on the desktop app. When I try to copy an existing remote in setting up the Elite, it says there are no remotes in this account. Any ideas?
post #1152 of 3956 Old 12-06-2016, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
I just bought a Harmony Elite. I have been using an 1100 for several years. I've always done the setup on the 1100 on the desktop app. When I try to copy an existing remote in setting up the Elite, it says there are no remotes in this account. Any ideas?
Are you using the My Harmony App? It's different than the old application.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #1153 of 3956 Old 12-06-2016, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
Are you using the My Harmony App? It's different than the old application.
With the 1100 I have been using the Logitech Harmony Remote Software (7.7.0). I went ahead and started to set up the Elite from scratch. I had a tough time at first remembering the model numbers of my various devices, then I remembered (duh) that I only had to look in the old software at the devices for the 1100. I got started last night but haven't finished. My only complaint so far is that the setup software doesn't want to let me skip any steps. I have a lighting device that is not listed where I will have to learn the codes. I wanted to enter the device but come back later and learn the codes, but the software does not let you do that. There is no skip this step, or come back to this later.
post #1154 of 3956 Old 12-06-2016, 06:50 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Can somebody tell me how many customer buttons there are within an Activity for the Elite? For example, when you select "Watch TV", how many buttons fit on one screen in the Watch TV activity screen. I've looked online, and the only screen shots I see are the "activity" menu (which seems to fit five activities in one column) and the "favorites" which has a grid of 9 buttons, but I haven't seen any pictures of the buttons that are displayed once you've selected an activity.
post #1155 of 3956 Old 12-06-2016, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Can somebody tell me how many customer buttons there are within an Activity for the Elite? For example, when you select "Watch TV", how many buttons fit on one screen in the Watch TV activity screen. I've looked online, and the only screen shots I see are the "activity" menu (which seems to fit five activities in one column) and the "favorites" which has a grid of 9 buttons, but I haven't seen any pictures of the buttons that are displayed once you've selected an activity.
it's just like activities. the screen scrolls up and down. there's no real "limit" to how many soft buttons can be in the list.

post #1156 of 3956 Old 12-06-2016, 08:14 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
it's just like activities. the screen scrolls up and down. there's no real "limit" to how many soft buttons can be in the list.
Thanks for the feedback. So only about 5 are visible on the window at one time?

The reason I ask is because I've stuck with my 880 because I get 8 custom buttons per screen -- and I really need to be able to have all 8 of them be accessible from one screen for it to be useful for my situation. I was hoping it was possible to configure the Elite to have 9 buttons per screen for the activity buttons, like the Elite appears to offer on the favorites window.
post #1157 of 3956 Old 12-06-2016, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. So only about 5 are visible on the window at one time?

The reason I ask is because I've stuck with my 880 because I get 8 custom buttons per screen -- and I really need to be able to have all 8 of them be accessible from one screen for it to be useful for my situation. I was hoping it was possible to configure the Elite to have 9 buttons per screen for the activity buttons, like the Elite appears to offer on the favorites window.
5/6 haven't counted. but you can scroll the screen with a flick of the finger. pretty easy IMO.

I had an 880. this is 1000x better. Plus you can custom set short press/long press actions for the physical button.

post #1158 of 3956 Old 12-06-2016, 09:26 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
5/6 haven't counted. but you can scroll the screen with a flick of the finger. pretty easy IMO.

I had an 880. this is 1000x better. Plus you can custom set short press/long press actions for the physical button.
Thanks. I hadn't thought about the short press long press, which would help a little, but most of the functions I want on the home screen are "trims" (e.g. shaker level up, shaker level down, lights dim, lights bright, ...) which require multiple presses to adjust, so I don't know the long press would work for those where I typically hit the button many times to adjust it.
post #1159 of 3956 Old 12-06-2016, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I hadn't thought about the short press long press, which would help a little, but most of the functions I want on the home screen are "trims" (e.g. shaker level up, shaker level down, lights dim, lights bright, ...) which require multiple presses to adjust, so I don't know the long press would work for those where I typically hit the button many times to adjust it.
there are specific "lighting" buttons, etc... at the bottom of the remote that would work for this.
pjp likes this.

post #1160 of 3956 Old 12-06-2016, 10:18 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
there are specific "lighting" buttons, etc... at the bottom of the remote that would work for this.
Now that, I have to say, is super helpful. It looks like there are 3 pairs I could use for various up/down controls at the bottom of the remote if I'm looking at the picture correctly. That solves a lot of problems. I would still really strongly prefer a grid of buttons under each activity, but the dedicated light controls help a lot.
post #1161 of 3956 Old 12-06-2016, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Been running my Elite for a while now and just wanted to give some input. I've had 2 880's a 700 a 900 and an 1100. The Elite blows them all away. I have DirecTv a Marantz SR-7010 (7.2.4), Roku 4 and a Pioneer Elite BR player and this IS the way to go. Being able to program/sync from the remote or smartphone has been fantastic! No more running back and forth across the house to sync on my computer=brilliant! Setting up devices from the remote is worth the upgrade alone. Ergonomically this is a much more balanced remote so no more having to look at the remote and use two hands for most functions. The loss of the number keys will bother some but I have always used my on screen favorites list or guide to jump to the channels I watch. You also have your favorites on the remote and you just swipe the screen aside to get to the number keys if you really need to. No matter what remote you get there will be a period of adjustment and to date this has been the most intuitive one I have owned. Harmony has had their ups and downs in the past but for the money they have always been the best IMHO.
post #1162 of 3956 Old 12-06-2016, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

I am both impressed and frustrated with the setup for my Harmony Elite. The setup really needs more work. It won't take no for an answer. I was trying to figure out how to tell it to use the remote for IR for my upstairs TVs because the hub is not in the same room, but it keeps insisting that I keep testing the power on for the TV. If I say no, the TV is not powered on, it just keeps telling me to try again without ever giving any other options. So I have to lie to it and tell it the TV is on because there is no other way out. Stupid. Essentially, whoever designed the setup program doesn't even seem to know that the remote can send the IR, so if the hub doesn't work, try, try again is not always going to fix it.

I tried to access the forums and Logitech seems to have screwed them up too. For the life of me I could not post a new entry. One of the links they have to get to the forums is a dead link. Then when I finally figured out a way to get to the forums, it would not let me post a message. I have an account, but their sign in would not work. Actually it said I was logged in, but posting a new message required a new sign in that would not work. It is nice to know that Larry, Moe, and Curly have found a career after the movies working at Logitech. Is there an email address to send suggestions where they might get read and acted on?
post #1163 of 3956 Old 12-07-2016, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
I am both impressed and frustrated with the setup for my Harmony Elite. The setup really needs more work. It won't take no for an answer. I was trying to figure out how to tell it to use the remote for IR for my upstairs TVs because the hub is not in the same room, but it keeps insisting that I keep testing the power on for the TV. If I say no, the TV is not powered on, it just keeps telling me to try again without ever giving any other options. So I have to lie to it and tell it the TV is on because there is no other way out. Stupid. Essentially, whoever designed the setup program doesn't even seem to know that the remote can send the IR, so if the hub doesn't work, try, try again is not always going to fix it.

I tried to access the forums and Logitech seems to have screwed them up too. For the life of me I could not post a new entry. One of the links they have to get to the forums is a dead link. Then when I finally figured out a way to get to the forums, it would not let me post a message. I have an account, but their sign in would not work. Actually it said I was logged in, but posting a new message required a new sign in that would not work. It is nice to know that Larry, Moe, and Curly have found a career after the movies working at Logitech. Is there an email address to send suggestions where they might get read and acted on?
they switched over to the new forums and they suck. If you do google searches, the links found almost always take you to the main page instead of the discussion.

post #1164 of 3956 Old 12-07-2016, 07:42 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

One additional question about the Elite before I take the plunge. Is it still possible to program it from the harmony's computer app?

From the comments in this thread, it seems like a lot of people like programming it through IOS, but I generally prefer using the computer app for at least the major setup of the remote (I have a pretty complex system). I'm sure I will use the IOS or remote itself to tweak it, but the first setup I'd prefer to do by computer if that is still an option.
post #1165 of 3956 Old 12-07-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
One additional question about the Elite before I take the plunge. Is it still possible to program it from the harmony's computer app?

From the comments in this thread, it seems like a lot of people like programming it through IOS, but I generally prefer using the computer app for at least the major setup of the remote (I have a pretty complex system). I'm sure I will use the IOS or remote itself to tweak it, but the first setup I'd prefer to do by computer if that is still an option.
There are a few things that can only be done using the app. For me, however, I use the Windows 10 app on my PC about 90% of the time.

Adding home control stuff to an activity can only be done using the app, for example.
pjp likes this.

post #1166 of 3956 Old 12-07-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon646464 View Post
There are a few things that can only be done using the app. For me, however, I use the Windows 10 app on my PC about 90% of the time.

Adding home control stuff to an activity can only be done using the app, for example.
But only certain home control technologies work. Don't necessarily hang your hat on that
post #1167 of 3956 Old 12-07-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
But only certain home control technologies work. Don't necessarily hang your hat on that
I'm using my Insteon stuff with my Elite. I have other brands, but my HT room is all Insteon and it works great.

post #1168 of 3956 Old 12-07-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
that's why you pair a smartthings hub with the harmony. huge expansion capability by doing so. $50 at amazon right now

post #1169 of 3956 Old 12-10-2016, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 692
With all the complaints Logitech got with removing sequences/custom macros from the 900 series, does the Elite series support Sequences again? I'd like to add 2-3 commands into 1 button like I could with my older remotes.

I am considering upgrading from my 900 for this feature alone.

Last edited by Tyrindor; 12-10-2016 at 03:45 AM.
post #1170 of 3956 Old 12-10-2016, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post
With all the complaints Logitech got with removing sequences/custom macros from the 900 series, does the Elite series support Sequences again? I'd like to add 2-3 commands into 1 button like I could with my older remotes.

I am considering upgrading from my 900 for this feature alone.
you can make sequences.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page