Harmony Elite - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1231Likes

post #1201 of 4260 Old 12-22-2016, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last question (probably not true). And I do apologize as I am sure I can find the answer somewhere but I am leaving soon for spending time with family members for Christmas and thought I could get a quick answer here.

I have not worked with a hub before nor RF. Should be fun. I am going to have 3 days with not much to do in South Dakota and was thinking of bringing the elite with me to set up and explore. Are then any issues or potential headaches if I bring it to SD and set it up on the inlaw network, unplug it, bring it home and then just connect it to our network?

I don't think this would be an issue but sure don't want to be causing more headaches if doing so would.

Thank you -

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 4260 Old 12-22-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1960 View Post
Last question (probably not true). And I do apologize as I am sure I can find the answer somewhere but I am leaving soon for spending time with family members for Christmas and thought I could get a quick answer here.

I have not worked with a hub before nor RF. Should be fun. I am going to have 3 days with not much to do in South Dakota and was thinking of bringing the elite with me to set up and explore. Are then any issues or potential headaches if I bring it to SD and set it up on the inlaw network, unplug it, bring it home and then just connect it to our network?

I don't think this would be an issue but sure don't want to be causing more headaches if doing so would.

Thank you -

Mark
none really. you'll just have to reset the wifi when you get home

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #1203 of 4260 Old 12-22-2016, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just purchased the Elite. Starting to set it up.

I have a question:

I have two TVs that are in adjoining rooms on the opposite side of the same wall, all equipment is in a cabinet below one of the TVs. Already have IR distribution to them, so I will have no problem getting hub to send IR to both TVs and all devices.

I would like to have a remote in each room, connected to the same hub that controls all of this. Is this possible? Can two Elites (or other remote) talk to same hub, or do I need two hubs for this. With one hub, can I run an activity to watch one TV in one room, and have the remote in the other room start another activity to watch the TV in that room?

tenholde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 4260 Old 12-23-2016, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenholde View Post
Just purchased the Elite. Starting to set it up.

I have a question:

I have two TVs that are in adjoining rooms on the opposite side of the same wall, all equipment is in a cabinet below one of the TVs. Already have IR distribution to them, so I will have no problem getting hub to send IR to both TVs and all devices.

I would like to have a remote in each room, connected to the same hub that controls all of this. Is this possible? Can two Elites (or other remote) talk to same hub, or do I need two hubs for this. With one hub, can I run an activity to watch one TV in one room, and have the remote in the other room start another activity to watch the TV in that room?

tenholde
As I recall you can have only one remote with a display per hub. That leaves the Companion remote. It is compatible with the Harmony hub, and up to a point works in tandem with the Elite remote. It seems to be limited to six activities but buttons are programmable so maybe that isn't an issue. I bought a Companion on Amazon to supplement my Elite. Between that and the Alexa (Echo) app it does everything I need it to.
post #1205 of 4260 Old 12-23-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erg0010 View Post
As I recall you can have only one remote with a display per hub. That leaves the Companion remote. It is compatible with the Harmony hub, and up to a point works in tandem with the Elite remote. It seems to be limited to six activities but buttons are programmable so maybe that isn't an issue. I bought a Companion on Amazon to supplement my Elite. Between that and the Alexa (Echo) app it does everything I need it to.
So, I have the Elite and the hub that came with it. If I order the companion, I assume it comes without the hub. I then just add the companion to the hub. Does it just inherit the same programming as the Elite, or do you program it separately with whatever customization makes sense. I want to use the Elite in one room controlling one TV and the companion in another controlling a second TV. Both are close to the hub. Can I have a different 'Watch TV' activity for each remote (and will each remote be able to access the same or different Favorite Channels?)

tenholde
post #1206 of 4260 Old 12-23-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, I have the Elite and the hub that came with it. If I order the companion, I assume it comes without the hub. I then just add the companion to the hub. Does it just inherit the same programming as the Elite, or do you program it separately with whatever customization makes sense. I want to use the Elite in one room controlling one TV and the companion in another controlling a second TV. Both are close to the hub. Can I have a different 'Watch TV' activity for each remote (and will each remote be able to access the same or different Favorite Channels?)

tenholde
you can make additional activities. call it "watch tv room 2" or whatever.

post #1207 of 4260 Old 12-23-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
you can make additional activities. call it "watch tv room 2" or whatever.
Can I have both activities running at once, ie watching both TVs

tenholde
post #1208 of 4260 Old 12-23-2016, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

tenholde
don't know. I would assume it's possible, but you might have to set the power settings to leave all devices on when switching activities.

post #1209 of 4260 Old 12-23-2016, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

tenholde

Let us know if this works. I'd like to do the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to return some video tapes....
post #1210 of 4260 Old 12-23-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:

tenholde
Companion comes WITH a hub and that is a good thing for you. Trying to run multiple simultaneous activities with different remotes on the same hub cannot be done effectively. Since you'll have two separate hubs, you'll be perfectly fine.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #1211 of 4260 Old 12-23-2016, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Running into issues on initial startup with our Elite. It's not selecting the right input on the receiver. Obviously, I've double checked the commands on the remote and it all checks out. Once the system is powered on, it will swap between different activities flawlessly. It's only having issues with the initial power on. Never had the issue with our Harmony 1100 so I don't think it's a problem with the receiver. Receiver is a Pioneer Elite SC-27, in case it matters. Any ideas?

Last edited by bhpizza; 12-23-2016 at 09:10 PM.
post #1212 of 4260 Old 12-24-2016, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpizza View Post
Running into issues on initial startup with our Elite. It's not selecting the right input on the receiver. Obviously, I've double checked the commands on the remote and it all checks out. Once the system is powered on, it will swap between different activities flawlessly. It's only having issues with the initial power on. Never had the issue with our Harmony 1100 so I don't think it's a problem with the receiver. Receiver is a Pioneer Elite SC-27, in case it matters. Any ideas?
You probably need to allow longer for the Pioneer to power-up, before sending input commands - go to Devices, and try editing the Pioneer delays using the troubleshooter.
post #1213 of 4260 Old 12-24-2016, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
what input are you trying to go to and which one is it actually going to?

also please post up screen shots of your activity settings/steps

post #1214 of 4260 Old 12-24-2016, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpackers View Post
I've done a lot of searching and can't seem to find a solution to what I want to do.

I have an LG TV, Yamaha receiver, Xbox One S and a Harmony Elite remote. I want to program an activity on the remote to automatically start Netflix. I.E. - press the Netflix activity and the TV, receiver, and Xbox One S start and the Xbox automatically starts Netflix.

Right now I just use my Xbox activity and then manually navigate to the Netflix app. Has anyone found the proper way to program the remote for this activity?

If you had a Roku you can create channel specific activities for Netflix, Hulu, etc...for anything that's a channel. Harmony sets "Favorites" for all your Roku channels (up to 50 I believe). I'm not aware of Harmony doing this with anything other than cable/satellite and Roku.
post #1215 of 4260 Old 12-25-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo View Post
If you had a Roku you can create channel specific activities for Netflix, Hulu, etc...for anything that's a channel. Harmony sets "Favorites" for all your Roku channels (up to 50 I believe). I'm not aware of Harmony doing this with anything other than cable/satellite and Roku.
Yes, have Roku and Xbox One tied to same AVR. Due to Roku's seamless integration with Harmony it's the only device I use for streaming activities. Xbox navigation is clumsy and requires a series of scrolling, delays, and other button pushes that can more easily be done manually. Not worth the trouble in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #1216 of 4260 Old 12-26-2016, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Logitech is fantastic. The Indian Tech support told me to do something that instantly bricked my remote. They said they would send me another and I did not need to return mine. They locked it. It did not come. So they Overnighted one! In some ways I like this better than my MX-5000 in fact. It is a very good remote.
grtuck likes this.
post #1217 of 4260 Old 12-27-2016, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi fellas - need a bit of help please.

I received a Harmony Elite for Christmas. I still have not got it working reliably. I suspect my cabinet is the issue, I have a Salamander Designs Synergy 345:
http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/pro...0-5125e20bbe30
Bottom right is my Yammy A3060 AVR, above that a CD player, at the top my Cisco DVR (cable box), next to the AVR is a Monster Power conditioner/surge suppressor, above that a Samsung BR player, Center speaker in the opening and TV on top.
Placement of the Hub and blasters is the problem. One blaster on top close to the TV, the Hub and other blaster inside the cabinet. I cannot get all devices to power on/off test successfully. No matter where I place the hub/blaster inside the cabinet. My cabinet doors and sides are perforated steel - I think this has something to do with the issue. Signals can pen the steel - I have had the cabinet for 7 years, used OEM remotes and even an old Harmony One and all talk thru the steel. I suspect the IR blaster/hub emit the signal, these escape thru the steel and that is the end. No "bouncing around" as the Logitech doc says.

The only repeatable success I have had is to place a blaster on the floor, 2 to 3 feet in front of the cabinet. Doors closed all works. I have mostly repeatable success leaving the cabinet doors open. Neither of these are viable solutions.

I have opened an incident with Logitech - so far that has been less than stellar.

Anyone had success with a perf steel cabinet? Suggestions? Thanks.
post #1218 of 4260 Old 12-27-2016, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 100
^ Maybe forget about trying to place the hub & blasters to reach everything. Have you tried using the remote itself to emit IR? You can set that on a per-device basis.
post #1219 of 4260 Old 12-27-2016, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
what input are you trying to go to and which one is it actually going to?

also please post up screen shots of your activity settings/steps
Okay. Sorry for the delay here. Still having issues with the remote selecting the correct input on the receiver when powering on. I tried adding a delay under activities and it wouldn't let me add it anywhere other than at the bottom of the list, after all of the other inputs have been performed. Here's the screenshot of the BD player activity.

post #1220 of 4260 Old 12-27-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
^ Maybe forget about trying to place the hub & blasters to reach everything. Have you tried using the remote itself to emit IR? You can set that on a per-device basis.
Trying this today - seems better. Thank you for your input.

But, should a $350USD remote not simply work as advertised? Is a "blaster needed per device" not misleading advertising?
I am trying to drive 5 devices with what came in the box - unrealistic expectations? Heck, I would settle for 4 devices.

I had better communication with my 10yr old Harmony One - however the "in depth" config of controllable devices is a world apart. Now to just get them all controlled.

Not impressed with the Harmony Elite.
post #1221 of 4260 Old 12-27-2016, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Are there ANY remotes that would take the place of a LGTV that uses an on-screen pointer?
post #1222 of 4260 Old 12-28-2016, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Okay. Sorry for the delay here. Still having issues with the remote selecting the correct input on the receiver when powering on. I tried adding a delay under activities and it wouldn't let me add it anywhere other than at the bottom of the list, after all of the other inputs have been performed. Here's the screenshot of the BD player activity.

You need to use the web based configuration tool and alter the power on delay within the Pioneer device section. As you have already found out, within an activity you can only add delays after all the default actions - too late.
post #1223 of 4260 Old 12-28-2016, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineear View Post
Are there ANY remotes that would take the place of a LGTV that uses an on-screen pointer?
I just purchased a Harmony 650 last Friday, and it works my LG TV just fine, as well as my LG BP730 blu-ray player (also,came with an on-screen pointer remote)... There is a 4 direction pad on the 650, and you just navigate the on screen displayed items with it. The 'good thing' as well with a remote of this kind, is you tell it to switch input settings, etc,. to view different sources, so, no need really to navigate down to the 'inputs', you just program in what input you want it changed to, etc.

I have to believe a Harmony Elite would work as well, but my Elite is down in my theater room, and haven't tried to test it on the LG tv I have. I love my Harmony Elite, but for my great room when everything has direct IR line of site, I opted to save the money and go with the cheaper version.
post #1224 of 4260 Old 12-28-2016, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstaffhd View Post
Trying this today - seems better. Thank you for your input.

But, should a $350USD remote not simply work as advertised? Is a "blaster needed per device" not misleading advertising?
I am trying to drive 5 devices with what came in the box - unrealistic expectations? Heck, I would settle for 4 devices.

I had better communication with my 10yr old Harmony One - however the "in depth" config of controllable devices is a world apart. Now to just get them all controlled.

Not impressed with the Harmony Elite.
I think you misunderstood what he was saying.

You can change the remote to emit IR itself, on a per device basis. i.e. tell the remote to not use the IR blasters at all for some of the devices.

I have 6 devices controlled by IR, in different cabinets and the hub/blasters hit them just fine. Your placement of the hub in the cabinet with the equipment could be part of the problem, as well. move it outside.

Yours is the first I've read about not being able to reach your devices. perhaps open up the metal doors and see if everything works better with the hub.

post #1225 of 4260 Old 12-28-2016, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineear View Post
I have an LG OLED and I got an Elite to replace the magic remote but I can't get the family on board with it no matter how hard I try as no, it doesn't mimic the pointer and voice search functionality for obvious reasons, so it's just gathering dust now.

I do agree with their one biggest gripe with it: constantly getting out of sync with devices and having to power everything down to get it back in sync.

I know you have to keep it pointed at your setup while the macros run but try telling that to my impatient wife and six-year-old.

I kind of went off track there, sorry

post #1226 of 4260 Old 12-28-2016, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarpuaFSB View Post
I have an LG OLED and I got an Elite to replace the magic remote but I can't get the family on board with it no matter how hard I try as no, it doesn't mimic the pointer and voice search functionality for obvious reasons, so it's just gathering dust now.

I do agree with their one biggest gripe with it: constantly getting out of sync with devices and having to power everything down to get it back in sync.

I know you have to keep it pointed at your setup while the macros run but try telling that to my impatient wife and six-year-old.

I kind of went off track there, sorry

we absolutely hated the magic remote when we had an LG.

I have only had 2 instances of the devices getting out of sync. Those were caused by having the power options set to toggle instead of a direct access power on/off command... of course your device(s) have to support direct commands and not just a power toggle.

The harmony elite primarily uses the hub to emit the IR commands. you don't have to point the remote at anything unless you have configured the remote to not use the hub's IR emitters.
mdavej likes this.

post #1227 of 4260 Old 12-28-2016, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
we absolutely hated the magic remote when we had an LG.

I have only had 2 instances of the devices getting out of sync. Those were caused by having the power options set to toggle instead of a direct access power on/off command... of course your device(s) have to support direct commands and not just a power toggle.

The harmony elite primarily uses the hub to emit the IR commands. you don't have to point the remote at anything unless you have configured the remote to not use the hub's IR emitters.
Yeah, for our setup we can't use a hub so we have to point it at our setup.

The LG magic remote would be perfect if it only had a button for DVR and a stop button. Have to go into a sub menu to get to soft keys on screen for that.
post #1228 of 4260 Old 12-28-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I think you misunderstood what he was saying.

You can change the remote to emit IR itself, on a per device basis. i.e. tell the remote to not use the IR blasters at all for some of the devices.

I have 6 devices controlled by IR, in different cabinets and the hub/blasters hit them just fine. Your placement of the hub in the cabinet with the equipment could be part of the problem, as well. move it outside.

Yours is the first I've read about not being able to reach your devices. perhaps open up the metal doors and see if everything works better with the hub.
Thanks for the info.
With the doors open things work great. With a blaster on the floor 2-3ft in front of a closed cabinet they work fine. I do believe it is the perforated steel that permits the signals to escape and can not do the bounce around thing.
I have removed the CD player and put the hub on the shelf in its place. The Cable box/DVR is on the shelf above, the AVR on the shelf below, the BluRay player on the shelf next to it. The DVR and BR work fine, AVR not - the hub is on the front of the shelf, maybe 4" above the remote pickup for the AVR. Door open fine, door closed not.
I have attached the 2nd blaster to the inside of the perf steel door, right in front of the AVR pickup and it is working now. We hardly used the CD Player anyway....

I do like the remote - it is the blaster/hub thing that frustrated the %$%^ out of me.

I really do appreciate the help. Thank you.
post #1229 of 4260 Old 12-29-2016, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstaffhd View Post
Thanks for the info.
With the doors open things work great. With a blaster on the floor 2-3ft in front of a closed cabinet they work fine. I do believe it is the perforated steel that permits the signals to escape and can not do the bounce around thing.
I have removed the CD player and put the hub on the shelf in its place. The Cable box/DVR is on the shelf above, the AVR on the shelf below, the BluRay player on the shelf next to it. The DVR and BR work fine, AVR not - the hub is on the front of the shelf, maybe 4" above the remote pickup for the AVR. Door open fine, door closed not.
I have attached the 2nd blaster to the inside of the perf steel door, right in front of the AVR pickup and it is working now. We hardly used the CD Player anyway....

I do like the remote - it is the blaster/hub thing that frustrated the %$%^ out of me.

I really do appreciate the help. Thank you.
awesome. glad it helped. I was gonna say... who has a cd player anymore!?! ha! BR does the job, less wiring, less setup in the remote.

enjoy!

post #1230 of 4260 Old 12-29-2016, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_mike View Post
You need to use the web based configuration tool and alter the power on delay within the Pioneer device section. As you have already found out, within an activity you can only add delays after all the default actions - too late.

I had the same issue setting up my Elite. The ultimate solution in my case was to edit the start sequence for each Activity to add a 10-second delay followed by a final command to select the proper input on the device. The delay lets everything kind of settle down, then resubmits the input command. You can send however many command repeats you need to finally get your devices to stay where you want them. Hope this makes sense. You can also make changes in the device setup menu to always repeat a command a number of times, as well as a delay between commands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page