1573Likes

post #1771 of 5129 Old 07-17-2017, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfatherip View Post
You may be able to rig it up using the hub and IR blasters (so you'd need the Elite or another hub based remote). In the settings for the hub you can set it to send signals for specific devices only from a specific IR blaster. You'd need to stick IR blaster 1 on TV 1 covering its IR input (like the IR repeater PTAaron showed), blaster 2 on TV 2 covering its IR input, and then leave the IR port on TV 3 exposed and have its signals sent from the hub only. Setting up the activities may get a bit complicated though with 3 TVs.

Thanks! Is this what you are referring to (see below)? Putting these on 2 of the tv's IR inputs?

If so, who makes them, what are they called, and where are they available?

They aren't really a super complicated setup, so a lot of activities aren't necessary. It will mainly be used to power on the main tv and soundbar, and then at times powering on the 2 side tv's (which would get the IR blasters) or the blue ray player on the main tv. Outside of changing channels and volume, and using the DVR or netflix app, there won't be a lot of other uses for the remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

Darren
Downstairs: Sony 75x940e, UBP-X800, HT-ST5000, & 2x 43x800d
Upstairs: Samsung 60KS8000 & a Sonos playbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 5129 Old 07-17-2017, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am thinking about purchasing the elite to replace an older URC mx450 but have a question about if this scenario will work in my situation. The problem I have with my current remote is when I turn on the directv box with one button it also turns on the tv and avr through ARC as it should but for some reason I have a hand shake issue between the avr and the sat box and most of the time get no signal. This forces me to start over and turn on the avr first then wait until its completely fired up then hit tv and lastly the sat box and then it works.
Will the elite allow me to program the watch tv mode where with one button turn on the avr first with a delay (to give it time to switch completely on) then the TV also with a short delay and lastly the directv box?
This should solve my issue if it will work this way and make the wife much happier when I am not around to fire things up.
post #1773 of 5129 Old 07-17-2017, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirevn View Post
I am thinking about purchasing the elite to replace an older URC mx450 but have a question about if this scenario will work in my situation. The problem I have with my current remote is when I turn on the directv box with one button it also turns on the tv and avr through ARC as it should but for some reason I have a hand shake issue between the avr and the sat box and most of the time get no signal. This forces me to start over and turn on the avr first then wait until its completely fired up then hit tv and lastly the sat box and then it works.
Will the elite allow me to program the watch tv mode where with one button turn on the avr first with a delay (to give it time to switch completely on) then the TV also with a short delay and lastly the directv box?
This should solve my issue if it will work this way and make the wife much happier when I am not around to fire things up.
Yes - the Elite will allow you to do all of that, BUT, the Elite does not set up buttons for each device, rather it sets up "Activities" that control what you want to do with the touch of the screen. For example, if you want to watch blu-ray movie you would tell the Elite what devices are involved, which device controls volume, what ports are involved, etc. and it would configure your activity. If you then required to add delays there is the option to that also.

Just as a side note note - whenever you decide to watch anything (i.e. directtv, blu-ray, etc) it is always suggested that the source is started last in the sequence. So for example, if you were to watch a blu-ray disk you should turn on the TV then the AVR and lastly the blu-ray player. This is the proper sequence in order for the HDMI handshaking to take place in order to recognize all the equipment.
hirevn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1774 of 5129 Old 07-17-2017, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 414
I'd highly recommend turning OFF any ARC type of thing with these remotes. Just let the remote handle all the switching.
hirevn likes this.
post #1775 of 5129 Old 07-17-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb359 View Post
Thanks! Is this what you are referring to (see below)? Putting these on 2 of the tv's IR inputs?

If so, who makes them, what are they called, and where are they available?

They aren't really a super complicated setup, so a lot of activities aren't necessary. It will mainly be used to power on the main tv and soundbar, and then at times powering on the 2 side tv's (which would get the IR blasters) or the blue ray player on the main tv. Outside of changing channels and volume, and using the DVR or netflix app, there won't be a lot of other uses for the remote.
I was going to suggest the same thing ... it is really irritating that the elite only has the 2 IR output ports, but whatever. With the old RF extender you could have controlled 5 different boxes

Those blasters are the type that used to come with the Harmony RF extender, you might be able to email Logitech/Harmony and buy them. The problem is they have a 3.5mm jack and the hub has a 2.5mm hole - so you'll need an adapter from Monoprice or you can do what I did at cut/solder them onto the smaller jacks.
You could probably find 3rd party blasters that would work the same if you can't find the exact model - amazon appears to have a few options: https://www.amazon.com/TNP-Emitter-E...ony+ir+blaster

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - moving on to v3.0... projector time in 2017!
post #1776 of 5129 Old 07-17-2017, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have only had my Harmony Elite for a few days but am seeing a problem with the screen display and wondering if I should return this unit for replacement or if anyone has seen this before and have an idea what may be causing it.

I will attach pictures but the best way to describe the problem is that I am seeing Bleed through or residual display data on every screen from one
particular screen. The problem app appears to be ROKU and once I leave the ROKU screen some of the screen display from the ROKU app never clears but remains on all subsequent screens.

I have reset the device numerous times and each reset clears it until I use the ROKU app again and then the problem reoccurs.

I uninstalled the ROKU device from the Elite and ran it like that for a day and had no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-16 13.09.22.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	2241897   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-16 12.02.24 HDR.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	2241913  
post #1777 of 5129 Old 07-17-2017, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
I have only had my Harmony Elite for a few days but am seeing a problem with the screen display and wondering if I should return this unit for replacement or if anyone has seen this before and have an idea what may be causing it.

I will attach pictures but the best way to describe the problem is that I am seeing Bleed through or residual display data on every screen from one
particular screen. The problem app appears to be ROKU and once I leave the ROKU screen some of the screen display from the ROKU app never clears but remains on all subsequent screens.

I have reset the device numerous times and each reset clears it until I use the ROKU app again and then the problem reoccurs.

I uninstalled the ROKU device from the Elite and ran it like that for a day and had no problems.

i'd return it. never seen that before.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #1778 of 5129 Old 07-17-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
You may be able to rig it up using the hub and IR blasters (so you'd need the Elite or another hub based remote). In the settings for the hub you can set it to send signals for specific devices only from a specific IR blaster. You'd need to stick IR blaster 1 on TV 1 covering its IR input (like the IR repeater PTAaron showed), blaster 2 on TV 2 covering its IR input, and then leave the IR port on TV 3 exposed and have its signals sent from the hub only. Setting up the activities may get a bit complicated though with 3 TVs.
Quote:
I was going to suggest the same thing ... it is really irritating that the elite only has the 2 IR output ports, but whatever. With the old RF extender you could have controlled 5 different boxes

Those blasters are the type that used to come with the Harmony RF extender, you might be able to email Logitech/Harmony and buy them. The problem is they have a 3.5mm jack and the hub has a 2.5mm hole - so you'll need an adapter from Monoprice or you can do what I did at cut/solder them onto the smaller jacks.
You could probably find 3rd party blasters that would work the same if you can't find the exact model - amazon appears to have a few options: https://www.amazon.com/TNP-Emitter-E...ony+ir+blaster

I'm also reaching out to some home automation places locally and see what they have for control. Things like Crestron, URC, ELAN are all things I've seen and read a little about on the forums and online. Although they would all be a lot more expensive options. I was told the ELAN system could do it wirelessly, without needing to run any more cables up to the tv which would be a plus in my case.

Darren
post #1779 of 5129 Old 07-17-2017, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:

Report it to Logitech... hard to say if a problem like that is hardware or a firmware bug they need to correct. Good luck.
post #1780 of 5129 Old 07-18-2017, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertL View Post
Report it to Logitech... hard to say if a problem like that is hardware or a firmware bug they need to correct. Good luck.
I reported to logitech and spent some time with them on the phone completely resetting both the hub and the remote. They think it might be a software problem and do not recommend i send it back at this stage they are investigating it further and will get back to me.
m_snow likes this.
post #1781 of 5129 Old 07-18-2017, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
I reported to logitech and spent some time with them on the phone completely resetting both the hub and the remote. They think it might be a software problem and do not recommend i send it back at this stage they are investigating it further and will get back to me.
Glad you reported it. Sorry you encountered the problem, but your taking the time to officially report it to Logitech will hopefully cause a fix that ends-up helping many other owners as well. Thank you for that!
m_snow likes this.
post #1782 of 5129 Old 07-18-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm also reaching out to some home automation places locally and see what they have for control. Things like Crestron, URC, ELAN are all things I've seen and read a little about on the forums and online. Although they would all be a lot more expensive options. I was told the ELAN system could do it wirelessly, without needing to run any more cables up to the tv which would be a plus in my case.
Probably your best bet - you could make it work with the Elite, but another solution might be better.

-Aaron
post #1783 of 5129 Old 07-18-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Probably your best bet - you could make it work with the Elite, but another solution might be better.
It's a very expensive option, and a little overkill for our little setup. I was thinking about a couple of options with IR repeater/extenders

EDIT:

I created a new thread looking for help with this issue, as to not clutter up the Harmony Elite thread. Please go here if you can try to help me figure it out:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-rem...l#post54366617

Thanks!!

Darren

Last edited by dmb359; 07-18-2017 at 12:30 PM.
post #1784 of 5129 Old 07-18-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:

From my little experience with this device the limitation of two IR blasters is not really a big issue because the HUB itself has quite a range with its IR output. I am not using any of the plug in Blasters only the capability of the HUB itself and controlling four devices.
post #1785 of 5129 Old 07-18-2017, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From my little experience with this device the limitation of two IR blasters is not really a big issue because the HUB itself has quite a range with its IR output. I am not using any of the plug in Blasters only the capability of the HUB itself and controlling four devices.
It all depends on your needs I suppose, if I had a setup where the hub could sit in front of my equipment and control it all - I wouldn't care about the loss of the extra ports (compared the the RF extender I had with the 1100).
I had to modify mine or I wouldn't have been able to use the hub to control my system - I need 2 direct plugs to go into the back of 2 AVRs (same brand so a blaster in front won't work), a remote blaster for the cable box, remote blaster for the blu-ray player, and remote blaster for the projector. The hub's IR output, in my situation, is only useful for controlling the AppleTV and sending a signal to remote sensors for a HDMI switch and my HTPC that all sit on top of the blu-ray player next to the hub.

-Aaron
post #1786 of 5129 Old 07-19-2017, 01:53 AM

I might just be lucky but I have a four shelf rack with an AVR on one shelf a satellite receiver on another and a UHD blue ray on another plus a ROKU and Nvidia shield on another. The tv is wall mounted. My unit has no doors and I located the Hub facing forward on the second shelf with the ROKU and Shield. The hub is suppose to bounce the signal off walls etc. In my case the hub with no blaster is controlling all of my equipment. The shield is set up for Bluetooth control but all the others are seeing the IR signal without a problem. The hub is not pointing at any piece of equipment but relying on bouncing the signal forward and reflected off the walls. back to the rack. I was quite prepared to install the blasters if I needed them but decided to try it without them at first.

Since I only recently acquired mine it is possible that the latest hub might be more efficient.

There is of course another possibility. Can the hub use wifi to control equipment because all of my equipment is connected to the same wifi network.

Last edited by nebo1ss; 07-19-2017 at 02:07 AM.
post #1787 of 5129 Old 07-19-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Another thought that I could possibly make work with a Harmony remote. Could use someone a little more knowledgeable confirming if this would be possible or not.

What about getting a MRF-350 base station from URC (or some other similar RF to IR hub with at least 2 emitter outputs) to receive the RF signals from the harmony remote, and then have IR emitters to go to each tv, but use IR over HDMI adapters to send the IR signal up the wall over a second HDMI cable that is already there and unused for each tv (since it isn't possible to get another cable fed up the wall. Then place the emitters over the IR receiver of each tv making sure it can't receive any additional IR signals (cover with electrical tape or something inconspicuous). OR can the harmony hub do that?

The base/hub would send out an IR signal to the other equipment like normal without an emitter since there is no confusion (cable boxes, blue ray player, and soundbar), and IR signals through IR over HDMI adapters to the emitters attached to the tv IR receiver. The main tv I could probably leave for the standard IR signal from the hub, just the side tv's through emitters to isolate them from the signal sent from the hub to only specific signals sent to each emitter.

Wouldnt' that work with the base station or possibly harmony hub?
The hub can send a general IR signal from itself, or signals to specific emitters and not other correct?
Would something else be necessary?

EDIT: Let me add, everything has line of sight in the room, and could work directly from the harmony remote or hub, just need to isolate the 2 side tvs from not receiving an IR signal that the middle tv receives. Plus the 3 xfinity x1 cable boxes may need isolation. They pair via RF to their xfinity r11 remotes with no cross talk, but not sure how that would work with a single harmony remote talking to multiple RF cable boxes individually

MRF-350 RF to IR base station:
http://www.universalremote.com/produ...-base-station/

IR over HDMI adapter:
Like this for the 2 side tv's, but the receiver dongle would be replaced with a cable from the hub to the module, and the emitter/sender would be placed over the IR receiver on the tv. So those tv's wouldn't receive the IR signals coming from the hub, but only the ones sent specifically to their IR emitter.

Darren

Last edited by dmb359; 07-19-2017 at 09:39 AM.
post #1788 of 5129 Old 07-20-2017, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Another thought that I could possibly make work with a Harmony remote. Could use someone a little more knowledgeable confirming if this would be possible or not.

What about getting a MRF-350 base station from URC (or some other similar RF to IR hub with at least 2 emitter outputs) to receive the RF signals from the harmony remote, and then have IR emitters to go to each tv, but use IR over HDMI adapters to send the IR signal up the wall over a second HDMI cable that is already there and unused for each tv (since it isn't possible to get another cable fed up the wall. Then place the emitters over the IR receiver of each tv making sure it can't receive any additional IR signals (cover with electrical tape or something inconspicuous). OR can the harmony hub do that?

The base/hub would send out an IR signal to the other equipment like normal without an emitter since there is no confusion (cable boxes, blue ray player, and soundbar), and IR signals through IR over HDMI adapters to the emitters attached to the tv IR receiver. The main tv I could probably leave for the standard IR signal from the hub, just the side tv's through emitters to isolate them from the signal sent from the hub to only specific signals sent to each emitter.

Wouldnt' that work with the base station or possibly harmony hub?
The hub can send a general IR signal from itself, or signals to specific emitters and not other correct?
Would something else be necessary?

EDIT: Let me add, everything has line of sight in the room, and could work directly from the harmony remote or hub, just need to isolate the 2 side tvs from not receiving an IR signal that the middle tv receives. Plus the 3 xfinity x1 cable boxes may need isolation. They pair via RF to their xfinity r11 remotes with no cross talk, but not sure how that would work with a single harmony remote talking to multiple RF cable boxes individually

MRF-350 RF to IR base station:
http://www.universalremote.com/produ...-base-station/

IR over HDMI adapter:
Like this for the 2 side tv's, but the receiver dongle would be replaced with a cable from the hub to the module, and the emitter/sender would be placed over the IR receiver on the tv. So those tv's wouldn't receive the IR signals coming from the hub, but only the ones sent specifically to their IR emitter.

I don't know much about the MRF-350 but I don't think it is necessary. Also I don't think it works with Harmony remotes so you'd probably need to get a URC RF remote (like the MX-450) to run it. I think it would work though, as it says it has 6 addressable IR outputs (you could even set up 4 more TVs in the room!). I don't have any experience with their hubs though so I can't say for sure. I had a URC universal remote once (no hub) and it worked very well and was extremely customizable but programming it was more involved than with Harmony. The Harmony setup is easier, but the URC stuff can be great once you get it set up.

The Harmony hub has two IR blaster outputs and should do what you want by itself (at least if all the devices can receive IR signals in the same room). Setup TV1 and all other devices to have their signals sent by the hub only, set up TV2 to have its signals sent via IR blaster 1 only, and setup TV3 to have its signals sent via IR blaster 2 only. Tape over the IR on TVs 2 and 3 (with their IR blasters in place of course) to make sure they don't see the hub signals and you should be all set. Then you'll just have to set up activities for using different combinations of TVs or make an activity for watching each TV independently. You'll have to set it so that it does not turn off the other TVs when you switch activities (normally when you change activities it turns off devices that aren't in use, but you can set it to leave devices on until you press the all off button). I think you can use the IR to HDMI too if you want, but I've never used those so I don't know how well they work. By the way, Harmony uses 2.5mm mono jacks for its IR blasters, while most IR blasters use a 3.5mm mono jack, so you'll probably want to get two 2.5mm to 3.5mm mono adapters when you order everything if you go with Harmony.
dmb359 likes this.

Last edited by godfatherip; 07-20-2017 at 07:50 AM.
post #1789 of 5129 Old 07-20-2017, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
You do know there ARE number buttons that are accessible from the screen?
I was going to mention the same thing, although it would have made the remote larger, I would have preferred having hard buttons for numbers. Maybe it's just habit.

I picked up a refurbished one for a bit over half price just over a year ago, and am quite pleased. It would be nice if they had a more compact software system. Having to have a desktop, smartphone, remote, and hub software sometimes leads to some issues when you have to make changes. And like the original Harmony remotes, in some cases you still have to plug your remote into your PC USB for some further updating. When everything is updated and synced, I find the operation very smooth. Just that sometimes 'syncing' is not always as transparent as they would have you believe.

Samsung PN51F8500, Emotiva MC-700, Outlaw Audio 5000, Xbox One S, Dali Ikon 6, Vokal 2, OnWall, Outlalw LMF-EX, Furman Elite pf15i. UTurn Orbit Turntable, Ortofon 2M Red cart. and a Vincent PHO 80 phone preamp.
post #1790 of 5129 Old 07-20-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3236 Post(s)
Liked: 1481
As stated above, Harmony hub ports and base are assignable. Just cover the blasters to limit to a single device.

Harmony is not compatible with URC bases at all.
post #1791 of 5129 Old 07-20-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I don't know much about the MRF-350 but I don't think it is necessary. Also I don't think it works with Harmony remotes, you'd probably need to get a URC RF remote to run it. It might work though, I just don't have any experience with their hubs. I had a URC universal remote once (no hub) and it worked well but programming it was more involved than with Harmony. The Harmony setup is easier imo.

The Harmony hub has two IR blaster outputs and should do what you want by itself (at least if all the devices can receive IR signals in the same room). Setup TV1 and all other devices to have their signals sent by the hub only, set up TV2 to have its signals sent via IR blaster 1 only, and setup TV3 to have its signals sent via IR blaster 2 only. Tape over the IR on TVs 2 and 3 to make sure they don't see the hub signals and you should be all set. Then you'll just have to set up activities for using different combinations of TVs or make an activity for watching each TV independently. You'll have to set it so that it does not turn off the other TVs when you switch activities (normally when you change activities it turns off devices that aren't in use, but you can set it to leave devices on until you press the all off button). I think you can use the IR to HDMI too if you want, but I've never used those so I don't know how well they work. By the way, Harmony uses 2.5mm mono jacks for its IR blasters, while most IR blasters use a 3.5mm mono jack, so you'll probably want to get some 2.5mm to 3.5mm mono adapters when you order everything.
Thanks for the help! Everything is in the same room, and has open line of sight to the couches, and is not hidden in cupboards, closets, etc.

I was hoping I could figure out a way to make it work with a harmony remote and hub only. So it can be setup to only send an IR signal to a single emitter independently of the hub and other emitter? I was hoping to be able to do what you said and have the hub IR signal control the main tv, cable box, soundbar, and blue ray player. Then have one emitter solely control the left tv (with no hub IR signal sent) and the other emitter solely control the right tv (while blocking those tv's from receving hub signals)

I'm hoping to use those IR over HDMI emitters, because I don't have a way to get the emitter up to the tv with hidden wires now (would require holes in the wall, etc).

The other concern I have is the cable boxes. Unless the remote can pair via RF with each one individually (like with the xfinity remotes), they would have the same issue with IR signals. So I'd need to split each emitter to control the left tv and left cable box together, and the same for the right side.

Do you know if the harmony remote can pair with each xfinity xid cable box to control them independently when sending a signal to the whole setup?

Darren
post #1792 of 5129 Old 07-20-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the help! Everything is in the same room, and has open line of sight to the couches, and is not hidden in cupboards, closets, etc.

I was hoping I could figure out a way to make it work with a harmony remote and hub only. So it can be setup to only send an IR signal to a single emitter independently of the hub and other emitter? I was hoping to be able to do what you said and have the hub IR signal control the main tv, cable box, soundbar, and blue ray player. Then have one emitter solely control the left tv (with no hub IR signal sent) and the other emitter solely control the right tv (while blocking those tv's from receving hub signals)

I'm hoping to use those IR over HDMI emitters, because I don't have a way to get the emitter up to the tv with hidden wires now (would require holes in the wall, etc).

The other concern I have is the cable boxes. Unless the remote can pair via RF with each one individually (like with the xfinity remotes), they would have the same issue with IR signals. So I'd need to split each emitter to control the left tv and left cable box together, and the same for the right side.

Do you know if the harmony remote can pair with each xfinity xid cable box to control them independently when sending a signal to the whole setup?
I have an open cabinet near the TV and have the HUB at the front of the cabinet pointing forward to the Couch. It controls everything in the cabinet plus the tv fixed to the wall. I did a little experiment with the hub and put it at the back of the cabinet and the TV and a couple of other things stopped working. So in essence the Hub is bouncing the signal off the wall behind the couch and successfully controlling everything in the cabinet plus the TV without using any plug in blasters. Of course if I needed too I would use the plug in blasters
post #1793 of 5129 Old 07-20-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I have an open cabinet near the TV and have the HUB at the front of the cabinet pointing forward to the Couch. It controls everything in the cabinet plus the tv fixed to the wall. I did a little experiment with the hub and put it at the back of the cabinet and the TV and a couple of other things stopped working. So in essence the Hub is bouncing the signal off the wall behind the couch and successfully controlling everything in the cabinet plus the TV without using any plug in blasters. Of course if I needed too I would use the plug in blasters
I'm not worried about the hub controlling everything, I need it to control one tv, and prevent it from controlling the other 2 tv's, and only control those via emitters, so I can turn on each tv individually (one with the hub IR signal, and one with each separate emitter IR signal)

Actually I probably wouldn't even need the hub for anything except receiving and sending the specific IR signals to the two individual emitters. Everything else could be controlled by the remote itself, since it all has line of sight.

Darren
post #1794 of 5129 Old 07-20-2017, 01:16 PM

update...

so I actually just found a URC MX-450 remote I had, that I don't think I've ever used and forgot I had, lol.

Now I'm thinking I may pick up the MRF-350 base and see if I can use this remote instead of a harmony one, since it has more IR outputs (6).

I also forgot the tv's have "IR in" ports on the back, so I may run the outputs to those instead of using the little emitters to see if I can get that to work

I'll still try the IR over HDMI connectors, since that's the simplest way for me to get a mono cable with an emitter up to the tv.

If no luck, or I get too annoyed with the programming, I'll return the base and get a harmony elite probably and try to figure it out with 2 IR outputs.
PTAaron likes this.

Darren
post #1795 of 5129 Old 07-20-2017, 02:09 PM

Can the harmony pair with 3 identical xfinity XiD boxes near each other and control them independently with RF?
post #1796 of 5129 Old 07-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Can the harmony pair with 3 identical xfinity XiD boxes near each other and control them independently with RF?
The Harmony remote only communicates over RF to the hub, it can't directly communicate or pair with RF devices such as an Xfinity box. The hub can then communicate via IR, Bluetooth, and Wifi to individual devices and services, but it can't communicate over proprietary RF signals like the X1 boxes.

I don't think there would be a good way to control that many boxes of the same type independently without at least 2 boxes receiving a set of commands at the same time. You could use the IR out of the hub and segregate a blaster or individual IR emitter to each box so that 2 boxes could receive commands independently.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #1797 of 5129 Old 07-20-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post
Quote:
The Harmony remote only communicates over RF to the hub, it can't directly communicate or pair with RF devices such as an Xfinity box. The hub can then communicate via IR, Bluetooth, and Wifi to individual devices and services, but it can't communicate over proprietary RF signals like the X1 boxes.

I don't think there would be a good way to control that many boxes of the same type independently without at least 2 boxes receiving a set of commands at the same time. You could use the IR out of the hub and segregate a blaster or individual IR emitter to each box so that 2 boxes could receive commands independently.
I was afraid of that. I was thinking of doing the same thing with tvs. So I guess I'd run emitter 1 and split it to go to tv and cable box 1, and run emitter 2 split to tv and cable box 2, and then just use the hub blast signal for tv and cable box 3 together.

Starting to look like the URC option I mentioned above might be better for this setup.
post #1798 of 5129 Old 07-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
I was afraid of that. I was thinking of doing the same thing with tvs. So I guess I'd run emitter 1 and split it to go to tv and cable box 1, and run emitter 2 split to tv and cable box 2, and then just use the hub blast signal for tv and cable box 3 together.

Starting to look like the URC option I mentioned above might be better for this setup.
I actually think what you proposed would work well, as long as you could block the IR from the hub from hitting the first 2 TV/settop boxes. The IR emitter covers sold with some emitters should work for that purpose.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #1799 of 5129 Old 07-23-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Having an issue with controlling my LifX smart bulbs via my Harmony Elite remote.

Everything works, but I can't hold the dim/brighten buttons. I must push them... about 100 times... before I go from 1% to 100% and vice versa. This is kinda a deal breaker. Any idea why I can't just hold the dim/brighten buttons?
post #1800 of 5129 Old 07-23-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post
Having an issue with controlling my LifX smart bulbs via my Harmony Elite remote.

Everything works, but I can't hold the dim/brighten buttons. I must push them... about 100 times... before I go from 1% to 100% and vice versa. This is kinda a deal breaker. Any idea why I can't just hold the dim/brighten buttons?
I believe you have to go in and change the long press button behavior for the dimming buttons.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page