post #2341 of 5181 Old 01-24-2018, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcolorblack View Post
I hooked up my apple TV 4K to my Onkyo receiver and now my remote doesn't work with my receiver. when push any button to control my receiver nothing works, I've already tried resetting my remote and the hub and nothing is working, I've also tried hooking the apple TV 4K to my TV and its still not working. Dose anyone know how to fix this?
does your elite control ANYTHING right now? or are you just having problems with the receiver?
ToadB likes this.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 5181 Old 01-24-2018, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
does your elite control ANYTHING right now? or are you just having problems with the receiver?
its just the receiver, everything else is working fin.
post #2343 of 5181 Old 01-25-2018, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcolorblack View Post
its just the receiver, everything else is working fin.
go back and delete then re-add the receiver.

Possible you blocked the IR signal from the hub or extenders?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2344 of 5181 Old 01-25-2018, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 372
If the hub and IR blasters are in another room and the system in the bedroom only uses IR can it be controlled by the remote if it is added to "devices"?
post #2345 of 5181 Old 01-25-2018, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
If the hub and IR blasters are in another room and the system in the bedroom only uses IR can it be controlled by the remote if it is added to "devices"?
Yes, absolutely! I have a situation like that in my bedroom, where I had to add the devices there manually, except for my PS3, which is on my network as well as Bluetooth, and easily controlled with RC even in the other room. So now if I am in the bedroom and I point the Elite at my TV, Cable Box, PC monitor (actually a 32" TV), and Logitech Z5500 sound system, it works like the OEM remotes. The PS3 in the bedroom works via Blutooth, just like the Sony PS3 remote. So I don't have to point that at the PS3.

Another possible solution I am investigating, and you might want to look at as well, is to go with a DIY extension wire setup for the second IR Blaster, assuming your bedroom is close enough to where you have your Hub set up. For me, I can probably do this, since my Hub in the living room is only about 12 feet away from the devices in my bedroom, in the same horizontal line (no crossing, running up beams and along ceilings, etc.) So its a straight line. I actually tried an experimental version of this without the extension, but it didn't work. I moved the Hub about 4 feet toward the bedroom and was able to then run the IR Blaster to within 2 feet of two of the devices I want to control with RC and 4 feet from the third.

This didn't work, though, I guess because of the distance from the Hub. So I did a little more research and found that in a situation like mine, and possibly yours, you can use Logitech's Precision IR Cables. The reason is that you can then set four devices up for RC by getting them super close to them and once they work, you can then use the adhesive on each emitter to stick them right on the device. The caveat obviously is that this will replace one of your current IR Blasters on your Hub since the Hub only has two IR Blaster outputs.

Given that the Precision cables are the same length as your regular IR Blaster cables, you will likely still need to use some variation of the DIY extension setup I was referring to above. I found this thread on this forum for a very inexpensive way to accomplish this:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-rem...lasters.html#1

Here is the Precision IR Cable:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/produ...sion-ir-cables

tanman likes this.

Last edited by ChiroVette; 01-25-2018 at 09:43 AM.
post #2346 of 5181 Old 01-25-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ Will try without IR blasters!
post #2347 of 5181 Old 01-25-2018, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^^ Will try without IR blasters!
Yeah, I have shelved the idea of getting the Precision Cable + creating extensions for now. Only because my bedroom is not huge and pointing the Harmony at stuff when I use them is not burdensome at all. In a few weeks, maybe month or two, if I get a bug up my ass to spend an extra $30ish I may try the Precision Emitter + DIY extensions. But for now I am fine with the way it is.
post #2348 of 5181 Old 01-28-2018, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5045 Post(s)
Liked: 3058
I posted this over in the "Official Roku 4k HDR" thread but didn't get any responses so I thought I should try here:

Is there anyone who uses their Roku Ultra with a Harmony Elite? I have issues where the Roku sometimes doesn't take the Elite commands or it takes several button presses before the Roku will recognize a command. It may be lagging but I keep pressing the remote buttons thinking it's not responding to commands? The Harmony seems to work great with all my other devices except the Roku. Do you know why this is or do I need to rerun the activity using the Roku? The only thing different is the Roku is now connected to the Oppo 203 HDMI input rather than the AVR's HDMI input.

lujan
645 Ultra HD
730 HD
4 SD
post #2349 of 5181 Old 01-28-2018, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I posted this over in the "Official Roku 4k HDR" thread but didn't get any responses so I thought I should try here:

Is there anyone who uses their Roku Ultra with a Harmony Elite? I have issues where the Roku sometimes doesn't take the Elite commands or it takes several button presses before the Roku will recognize a command. It may be lagging but I keep pressing the remote buttons thinking it's not responding to commands? The Harmony seems to work great with all my other devices except the Roku. Do you know why this is or do I need to rerun the activity using the Roku? The only thing different is the Roku is now connected to the Oppo 203 HDMI input rather than the AVR's HDMI input.
I use a Elite and Roku Ultra but run it through my Yamaha 5100 and not my Oppo 203. Seems to work fine in that config. I think I remember having to reassign it in the activites once at the beginning but since then have had zero problems for over a year. Everything I try to run through the Oppo input has too much lip sync or lag. Maybe try to delete and re-select the Roku in the Harmony software?
post #2350 of 5181 Old 01-28-2018, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Quote:

Suspect you need to adjust the repeat settings for the Roku device on the Elite.

Mark
post #2351 of 5181 Old 01-29-2018, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5045 Post(s)
Liked: 3058
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
I use a Elite and Roku Ultra but run it through my Yamaha 5100 and not my Oppo 203. Seems to work fine in that config. I think I remember having to reassign it in the activites once at the beginning but since then have had zero problems for over a year. Everything I try to run through the Oppo input has too much lip sync or lag. Maybe try to delete and re-select the Roku in the Harmony software?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Suspect you need to adjust the repeat settings for the Roku device on the Elite.
Thanks, I'll see what I can do...

lujan
645 Ultra HD
730 HD
4 SD
post #2352 of 5181 Old 01-29-2018, 02:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

Could be similar to what happens with my Roku 3 once in a while, the fix seemingly being to unplug the Roku and maybe also the Harmony Hub for a little bit then plug them back in. Cleaned things up the last time I was paying attention.
post #2353 of 5181 Old 01-30-2018, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Does anyone know how i can remove the play pause button, something small is stuck in their and got in their, and i cant get it out, is it possible to remove the play/plause key to clean it and put it back?
post #2354 of 5181 Old 01-30-2018, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
Does anyone know how i can remove the play pause button, something small is stuck in their and got in their, and i cant get it out, is it possible to remove the play/plause key to clean it and put it back?
you have to take off the bottom of the remote, then VERY CAREFULLY pry apart the casing. Possible to damage some of the clips that hold it together. the buttons are just a molded piece of rubber/silicone. if you're very careful, you might be able to use something small to clean down in there without disassembling.

post #2355 of 5181 Old 02-02-2018, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone know how to disable the Gestures screen in an activity? I just got a Shield TV and somehow in creating its Activity (which would only work if I did it by phone and not the PC app) it created the activity such that every push of it ends up with the gestures screen coming down over the menu when it finishes loading.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of it.
post #2356 of 5181 Old 02-02-2018, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
Anyone know how to disable the Gestures screen in an activity? I just got a Shield TV and somehow in creating its Activity (which would only work if I did it by phone and not the PC app) it created the activity such that every push of it ends up with the gestures screen coming down over the menu when it finishes loading.

I don't know if you can disable the gesture screen, but you can choose the startup screen for each activity. Look in settings>>activities>>startup screen.
post #2357 of 5181 Old 02-02-2018, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post

On the remote itself click on the gear icon in the upper left, then Settings, Activities, Startup Screen, then the Activity you want to change and you can set what screen is displayed when the activity starts.
carp likes this.

Mark
post #2358 of 5181 Old 02-02-2018, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks guys. I hadn't ever gone into that screen before. Phew. Simple and so much grief eliminated.
post #2359 of 5181 Old 02-02-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Before I go digging into the manual, website and this thread; is it possible to show the battery percentage?
post #2360 of 5181 Old 02-02-2018, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Before I go digging into the manual, website and this thread; is it possible to show the battery percentage?
Tap the clock on upper right of screen. You can toggle between clock and battery.
post #2361 of 5181 Old 02-02-2018, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
Tap the clock on upper right of screen. You can toggle between clock and battery.
Thanks for the reply. I know the toggle button. I need to know if there is a way to show 20,30,100% values for the battery, I'm thinking not.
post #2362 of 5181 Old 02-02-2018, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I know the toggle button. I need to know if there is a way to show 20,30,100% values for the battery, I'm thinking not.
No, there is no way to show the value in a percentage
post #2363 of 5181 Old 02-05-2018, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
was really encouraged while i was getting to know this remote during setup, loved the look, feel, sense of quality and the rf/ir capabilities, but now i'm just pulling out my hair trying to figure this thing out, trying to like it, so much so that i'm convinced that i must be doing something wrong....

for one i find it incredibly easy to accidentally hit a wrong activity while scrolling through the list of activities, which of course can cause you to accidentally launch several devices nested in an activity, only to have to wait until they all turn so you can turn them off... is there a way to set the buttons to double click to help prevent this from happening?

also, is there a way to edit the app buttons for devices? i see that you can do this for activities, once activities are set up, you can add/delete and move around the graphical buttons to your liking, but can this be done for devices as well?

and i'm still trying to wrap my head around "activities" - if i understand it correctly the harmony elite can only have one activity launched at a time.... so let's say you want to listen to music, so your activity includes turning on your avr and setting your receiver to audio 1.... if i want to watch a movie using a source attached to the avr, i can't set up an activity that just switches avr input from audio 1 to avi and dsp xyz, instead i have to include the receiver in the activity as well, so launching the activity turns off the receiver (the music activity) and starts the movie activity, do i have that right? and if i want to switch to the dvd player tat also runs through the avr, the activity would also have to include avr again, i.e. turn it off and on again, in order to switch to the dvd input, no?

or do folks just switch to the device section to make these changes rather than create activities for them?
post #2364 of 5181 Old 02-05-2018, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
was really encouraged while i was getting to know this remote during setup, loved the look, feel, sense of quality and the rf/ir capabilities, but now i'm just pulling out my hair trying to figure this thing out, trying to like it, so much so that i'm convinced that i must be doing something wrong....

for one i find it incredibly easy to accidentally hit a wrong activity while scrolling through the list of activities, which of course can cause you to accidentally launch several devices nested in an activity, only to have to wait until they all turn so you can turn them off... is there a way to set the buttons to double click to help prevent this from happening?

also, is there a way to edit the app buttons for devices? i see that you can do this for activities, once activities are set up, you can add/delete and move around the graphical buttons to your liking, but can this be done for devices as well?

and i'm still trying to wrap my head around "activities" - if i understand it correctly the harmony elite can only have one activity launched at a time.... so let's say you want to listen to music, so your activity includes turning on your avr and setting your receiver to audio 1.... if i want to watch a movie using a source attached to the avr, i can't set up an activity that just switches avr input from audio 1 to avi and dsp xyz, instead i have to include the receiver in the activity as well, so launching the activity turns off the receiver (the music activity) and starts the movie activity, do i have that right? and if i want to switch to the dvd player tat also runs through the avr, the activity would also have to include avr again, i.e. turn it off and on again, in order to switch to the dvd input, no?

or do folks just switch to the device section to make these changes rather than create activities for them?
For your first issue - on the remote click on the gear icon in the upper left, settings, remote, then adjust touch duration.

Not sure what you are after for the second issue. Please explain that one a bit more.

For your third issue, when you switch activities, devices that are already on that still need to be on just stay on. So in your example, the AVR stays on and it just switches to the correct input/output. Using the PC app you have control over what does or does not stay on if something isn't working the way you like but basically the default is normally correct.

Mark
post #2365 of 5181 Old 02-05-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

yes. use the pc app. it's easier. you can re-arrange the device buttons and rename them

Quote:

when switching activities, if the same device is used in both activities, the remote tracks that and doesn't turn it off/on. it will just switch inputs. you have to include the AVR, for example. how else would the remote know what device to change inputs on?

post #2366 of 5181 Old 02-05-2018, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am not a huge fan of the touchscreen on this remote at all. Its all right, but to be honest, I find it entirely too sensitive for my tastes, and far too easy to accidentally activate stuff or turn what you are using off by simply picking up the remote wrong. I think there is a learning curve with the remote, and I am finding that the more I use it, the less frequent I get accidental virtual-button-pushes. But in cases like this, I have come to accept that I have to take the good with the bad. And actually, the screen isn't bad, per se, just a little too sensitive. Also, I think that the remote may be a little small for all the functions it has, and if it were overall larger (longer at least) and the screen higher up, that might help. But, again, I am getting used to it, albeit slowly. I am sure you will as well.

Quote:
Yeah, this is actually quite easy with the remote. Any screen you happen to be in, whether it is an individual Device, the global Devices Screen, an individual Activity, or the global Activities screen, just hit the gear-shaped button at the top left of your screen, scroll down to edit, then you can drag all the entries in that screen to wherever you want them. When you are finished, just hit "Done" on the lower right.

But as bp787 says, you are much better off using the PC app. You can do a great deal more with your computer in the app than you can with the touch screen remote. But I have, in moments of laziness, when all I wanted was to move some virtual buttons around on the screen, simply done it with the remote. But if you need more functionality than just moving a few virtual buttons around, you really need the PC app.

Quote:

The Activities on the Hub and Elite are both amazing and a a bit of a pain in the @ss at the same time. Though, in my opinion, they are more amazing. You are doing what I was doing, and still do to some extent, which is to over-complicate it a little. I have a bunch of activities for my Home Theater. One is called "Xbox One S," another is "PS4 Pro," another is "Watch Cable," and still another is "Watch Netflix."

Now I have tested this out, but once you have all your ducks in a row, which in this case means all your activities programmed, configured, and working as you like, you can simply go from one to the other. Now for most of my Home Theater stuff, for instance, all my devices are going through my receiver, which is connected to the AVR input on the TV, in this case HDMI 4. But, as is the case with your setup, in order to go from PS4 to Cable TV to XBox One to the onboard Netflix App on the TV's Home screen, the Activity has to change the input on the receiver to "TV Audio." Going to the onboard Netflix App on the TV, which I rarely use since I usually stream with my XBone/PS4 adds the complication that the TV has to go from HDMI 4 to "Home."

But I have found that going from activity to activity usually works fine. It isn't perfect, though. Sometimes I lose things like volume control over the receiver or will lose functionality over individual devices in the previous or current Activities. When this happens, I just shut everything down and start over again. But it usually doesn't.

Also, Alexa makes a lot of this simpler, too, as I can just say things like, "Alexa, turn on XBox," or "Alexa, turn of PS4."

I also have an activity that I created that is a little half-assed, but its the only way I can figure out to turn everything off at once, that happens to be on, if, say there are other things on than just from one Activity. I have an activity I named "Turn Off All Living Room," but the problem is it actually turns everything on. lol So I kind of sussed out that if I want to use that to turn everything off at once, I simply activate it as an activity, then shut it off. A little wacky, but it works.

Last edited by ChiroVette; 02-05-2018 at 01:22 PM.
post #2367 of 5181 Old 02-05-2018, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There is definitely a learning curve. Once I learned to only pick up the remote by the bottom 2/3, basically below the top ridge in the back, and adjusted the touch duration, I virtually eliminated the false activations.

Mark
post #2368 of 5181 Old 02-05-2018, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post

I also have an activity that I created that is a little half-assed, but its the only way I can figure out to turn everything off at once, that happens to be on, if, say there are other things on than just from one Activity. I have an activity I named "Turn Off All Living Room," but the problem is it actually turns everything on. lol So I kind of sussed out that if I want to use that to turn everything off at once, I simply activate it as an activity, then shut it off. A little wacky, but it works.

I'm really confused... the OFF button at the top of the remote always turns everything OFF for me. Obviously, there can be a case where something doesn't get power off signal but that it very rare. is this button not turning everything off for you?

post #2369 of 5181 Old 02-05-2018, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
There is definitely a learning curve. Once I learned to only pick up the remote by the bottom 2/3, basically below the top ridge in the back, and adjusted the touch duration, I virtually eliminated the false activations.
That's what I have been slowly training myself to do. But its not easy. Not to mention that half the time I am watching TV in the dark and my groping hand grabs the top of the remote, and all manner of weirdness sometimes happens. I am sure I will get the hang of it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
I'm really confused... the OFF button at the top of the remote always turns everything OFF for me. Obviously, there can be a case where something doesn't get power off signal but that it very rare. is this button not turning everything off for you?
Yeah, obviously you're not the one who was confused here. I had no idea you could use the off button to collectively turn off everything that the Hub controls and which is on. I saw the button, but always thought it was just for individual activities or devices. My mistake, thanks for the correction!
post #2370 of 5181 Old 02-06-2018, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Restart Apple TV

Anyone know if this is possible with the Harmony Elite? To restart an Apple TV using the Siri remote, you can press and hold both the Home + Menu buttons at the same time. This will restart the ATV after a few seconds. I'd love to be able to program this somehow into the Harmony but I have no idea if it's possible or where to start. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page