post #2791 of 3851 Old 08-08-2018, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post
Sorry, I haven’t yet tried moving the Hub, but I’ll try it later tonight. I really doubt it’ll solve this problem though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, it's frustrating I know. The only two differences between us that I can tell (other than the 900 v 930E) is I'm hardwired and you're wifi and I have the hub next to my TV and ATV4K.

@mutelight if you have a second jump onto this thread and see if you can diagnose @Sweetmeat issue with Harmony IP Control and his Sony 900E...no workie...
Sweetmeat likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3851 Old 08-08-2018, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2147 Post(s)
Liked: 2438
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Yeah, it's frustrating I know. The only two differences between us that I can tell (other than the 900 v 930E) is I'm hardwired and you're wifi and I have the hub next to my TV and ATV4K.

@mutelight if you have a second jump onto this thread and see if you can diagnose @Sweetmeat issue with Harmony IP Control and his Sony 900E...no workie...
Looking through all the posts, Sweetmeat did all the right things to get it setup and to troubleshoot as far as de-registering.

@Sweetmeat , when you had IP control connected and it wasn't powering on the TV, was that just while macros were running? Did you try manually going to the Device section of the remote, selecting the TV and explicitly pressing the power button?

Currently using 3 different Elite system IP connected to 3 different TVs and every now and then the TVs will miss the power on command but hitting "help" sends the command again and the TV comes on. It seems like some sort of race condition where commands are being flooded, which is why I am curious if you can get it power on by hitting power via IP outside of a macro running.
Sweetmeat likes this.
post #2793 of 3851 Old 08-08-2018, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Looking through all the posts, Sweetmeat did all the right things to get it setup and to troubleshoot as far as de-registering.

@Sweetmeat , when you had IP control connected and it wasn't powering on the TV, was that just while macros were running? Did you try manually going to the Device section of the remote, selecting the TV and explicitly pressing the power button?

Currently using 3 different Elite system IP connected to 3 different TVs and every now and then the TVs will miss the power on command but hitting "help" sends the command again and the TV comes on. It seems like some sort of race condition where commands are being flooded, which is why I am curious if you can get it power on by hitting power via IP outside of a macro running.

Yes, after the initial power on sequence completed and the TV didn’t turn on, I went to Devices on my remote, chose my TV, then clicked the power on button - multiple times. While connected via WiFi, it would never turn on if the TV had been off for a while, in which case I’d use the Sony remote. Once powered on, I could go back to using the Harmony to control the TV - even powering on/off multiple times successfully - all while having “remote start” on.

xbr75x900E and JVC RS420 with Elite 120" screen
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3060/RX-A3000, WXA-50 MusicCast Amp for Zone 2
L/C/R - B&W CM9/CMC2, Side - DS3, Rear - CM5, F/R Atmos - CCM663
Subs - SVS PB12+ and PB13 Ultra
Harmony Elite, ATV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro, HDHomeRun Extend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2794 of 3851 Old 08-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One thing I forgot to mention is that when I pressed the power on button multiple times in a row, I heard the clicking sound the TV makes when it’s turning on - but it never turned on and my indicator light that comes on when the TV is on never lit up either. But still, I heard the clicking sound. Not sure if that means anything, but thought I’d mention it as I thought it was unusual.

post #2795 of 3851 Old 08-08-2018, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, after the initial power on sequence completed and the TV didn’t turn on, I went to Devices on my remote, chose my TV, then clicked the power on button - multiple times. While connected via WiFi, it would never turn on if the TV had been off for a while, in which case I’d use the Sony remote. Once powered on, I could go back to using the Harmony to control the TV - even powering on/off multiple times successfully - all while having “remote start” on.

Quote:
One thing I forgot to mention is that when I pressed the power on button multiple times in a row, I heard the clicking sound the TV makes when it’s turning on - but it never turned on and my indicator light that comes on when the TV is on never lit up either. But still, I heard the clicking sound. Not sure if that means anything, but thought I’d mention it as I thought it was unusual.

That is really strange behavior, especially what you describe in your second post. When the TV got into the weird state where it clicked but did not fully power up, were you hitting the power button in rapid succession or were there a couple seconds between presses?

You mentioned you had set it up once via IP control but opted to skip the code registration part when setting it up the second. Have you tried completely registering it via IP control a second time?

This person used this method which could help. I had trouble with two of my TVs when initially setting up but completely de-registering and re-adding the device going through the code registration a second time solved my problems.
Sweetmeat likes this.
post #2796 of 3851 Old 08-08-2018, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is really strange behavior, especially what you describe in your second post. When the TV got into the weird state where it clicked but did not fully power up, were you hitting the power button in rapid succession or were there a couple seconds between presses?

You mentioned you had set it up once via IP control but opted to skip the code registration part when setting it up the second. Have you tried completely registering it via IP control a second time?

This person used this method which could help. I had trouble with two of my TVs when initially setting up but completely de-registering and re-adding the device going through the code registration a second time solved my problems.

Thank you, I’ll try both of the options mentioned in your link and see if either will work.

I’ve deregistered and reregistered at least 3 times, but I’m desperate for a solution. One thing I did differently was I de-registered before removing the device from Harmony. Not sure it’ll make any difference, but I’ll try it the other way around this time.

Thanks again, and thanks to @m_snow , for your help!

m_snow likes this.

post #2797 of 3851 Old 08-08-2018, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
I previously tried IR and it was so horrible I switched back to WiFi.

I just performed the following, in order:
1). Deregistered the Harmony Elite from the TV
2). Deleted the TV from my list of devices
3). Re-added the TV, this time not registering the remote with the TV
4). Added TV back to my activities
5). Syched to my remote
6). On the remote, changed Hub setting for the TV to be “remote only”

I then tried to turn off the TV while pointing the remote at the TV from about 10 feet away. The TV didn’t turn off until the 3rd press.

I then tried to turn on the TV and it took 5 presses before it turned on.

That is why I wanted WiFi Control on the TV to work.

I can’t fully blame the TV since the Sony remote works 100% of the time, however the WiFi implementation in the TV is junk.

I also can’t fully blame my remote as it controls every other device I have perfectly.

When using IR mode, did you try adjusting the command repeats using the MyHarmony pc app?
Sweetmeat likes this.

Mark
post #2798 of 3851 Old 08-08-2018, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
When using IR mode, did you try adjusting the command repeats using the MyHarmony pc app?

I sent him mine but his are default as are mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #2799 of 3851 Old 08-08-2018, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
I sent him mine but his are default as are mine.

Sorry I think I’m not understanding your post. I mean you should change them from the default if they aren’t working...

Mark
post #2800 of 3851 Old 08-08-2018, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried the first option in the link - “KEEP DEVICE ALWAYS ON BUT SWITCH OFF WHEN OFF BUTTON IS PRESSED", "USING A SINGLE BUTTON", "PowerToggle".”

It appears to be working for now. The real test will come tomorrow, after the TV has been off for awhile. I’ll report back then to let you know if it’s still working.

Thanks again for your help!

m_snow likes this.

post #2801 of 3851 Old 08-08-2018, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Sorry I think I’m not understanding your post. I mean you should change them from the default if they aren’t working...

Right, I would probably try a lot of different things to get it to work. Power on and power off commands are a little different in that you can control how long they are pressed and add other commands to the sequence that you can’t with any other command. There’s also combinations of using a Toggle power off command (that would be using one button to both turn on and turn off or the default which is two buttons and two different commands, one is the turn on the on turn off. So it gets complicated when you have to troubleshoot IP control versus IR, hub location, delays, command repeats and the device power off command as to what’s causing the issue.

mjwagner likes this.

Mike
post #2802 of 3851 Old 08-09-2018, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Harmony Elite

My TV actually turned on today when I started my Watch TV activity!!!

Thanks @mutelight and @m_snow !

mutelight, grtuck and m_snow like this.

post #2803 of 3851 Old 08-09-2018, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks mutelight and m_snow!

Rock on, glad that got you sorted.
Sweetmeat likes this.
post #2804 of 3851 Old 08-09-2018, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks @mutelight and @m_snow !

Really happy it’s working now. Credit goes to @mutelight on this.
mutelight and Sweetmeat like this.

Mike
post #2805 of 3851 Old 08-13-2018, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3639 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Extended Bluetooth range of hub for Nvidia Shield

Hi all - I have a 2017 Nvidia Shield TV with no IR support. Currently it is paired with the Harmony Hub (Elite model) over Bluetooth. This has generally worked fine for the past couple years, but over the past few months I've had several issues where the Bluetooth stops working and the Elite remote says I have to use the iOS App to re-pair the Bluetooth, which I do and that works, but only for a matter of minutes, hours or days and then I have to do it again. I think it is some sort of interference but nothing major has changed so I'm not sure what is causing this. The hub is in the theater and the Shield is in an equipment rack (open on all sides) in an adjacent room, about 25-30 feet away, so this is likely pushing the Bluetooth range anyway. And I cannot move either device. This is really frustrating so I need to find a better solution...

I have two approaches in mind. The first is to get some sort of Bluetooth extender/booster/repeater. Something I can put halfway between the Hub and Shield to increase the signal strength. I'm guessing that will resolve the issue. However in searching the web and Amazon, I can't seem to find such a device. I found one thing that was a few hundred dollars so that is way to much. Other devices that mention being Bluetooth extenders look more like products designed to extend speakers wirelessly, so these don't look like they'd work. Anyone know of a signal booster I could try (link please)?

The other approach is to use a FLIRC USB device and plug that into the Shield, and change my device in Harmony to FLIRC, and have it configured with a Shield profile. I already have the Hub setup up to blast IR commands to the equipment rack, and that's working great. So if the FLIRC works as I'd expect, then I just need to tape a little blaster eye onto the FLIRC. This would likely be far more reliable than Bluetooth and I would not have the chance for interference. I am not sure, but I think this will also give me some hotkeys for use with the Shield that I currently don't have.

Thoughts on the above please? Thanks!
post #2806 of 3851 Old 08-16-2018, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A couple of Harmony Elite (and possibly other model) questions, because I am not able to connect to Harmony support today. Chat agent doesn't come on line.

1. Can the higher end models, Elite, etc., be used without the hub?

2. Does the Harmony programming system provide commands such as Power On and Power Off rather than simply Power Toggle?

3. Is it possible to access the menus of AV receivers and Displays using the Harmony, either through the touch screen or by assigning these functions to a button?

4. Finally, is it possible to have an unlimited number of activities, and if so, how does one select them? By scrolling, by paging through them on the screen?

thanks for any help with these newbie questions!

Ed... I so value the resources and knowledge of AVSForum!
LG C8, Denon AVR-X4500H, Apple 4K TV, Sony UBP-X1000ES, 7.1.2 audio, (speakers = LCR-750 MKII for LCR with K-4 surrounds, V8 Movie sub, M&K K-7 rear surrounds, ELAC Debut 2.0 for FH)
post #2807 of 3851 Old 08-16-2018, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2972 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by erudolph View Post
A couple of Harmony Elite (and possibly other model) questions, because I am not able to connect to Harmony support today. Chat agent doesn't come on line.

2. Does the Harmony programming system provide commands such as Power On and Power Off rather than simply Power Toggle?

3. Is it possible to access the menus of AV receivers and Displays using the Harmony, either through the touch screen or by assigning these functions to a button?

4. Finally, is it possible to have an unlimited number of activities, and if so, how does one select them? By scrolling, by paging through them on the screen?

1. Yes. But this would be a waste of money. If you don't intend to use the hub, get the 950 or lower model. The 950 IS an Elite without a hub.
2. Usually yes. Depends on whether the device supports it and if Harmony has the commands in the database. If they exist at all, they can be added by learning or emailing pronto hex to support.
3. Yes. The menus themselves would not be displayed on the remote screen, but you can certainly navigate and use them as you would using the original remote.
4. No. I think the limit is still just 256.
erudolph likes this.
post #2808 of 3851 Old 08-16-2018, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3750 Post(s)
Liked: 2956
Quote:
Activities are in a list on the Harmony screen (Elite, 950, One, etc). You scroll the list, and you can also edit the ordering of the list.
erudolph likes this.
post #2809 of 3851 Old 08-16-2018, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Your plan should work fine.

erudolph likes this.

Mike
post #2810 of 3851 Old 08-16-2018, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
I dont think thats what he is saying that its the app causing it, he is pointing out that its the changes smarthings is making recently to the system as a whole along with updates and people are having problems. I dont believe i logged into that app either. What he is saying is due to changes smarthings has made and rolled out to users slowly has changed how dimmer levels are reported and thus are confusing the harmony.

Honestly I am just very confused how yours are working fine unless he is right saying the changes are being rolled out in waves, i have not touched my harmony or smarthings in 6 months and everything was smooth sailing until this recent smarthings update, his ge dimmer switches are doing the exact same thing as mine.

The fact he has comb'd through the logging and confirmed what i am seeing also perplexes me you are somehow not having this issue with your in wall dimmer switches, at least not yet.
Just an FYI, I have begun seeing this problem. My dimmers are now coming on at zero brightness.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #2811 of 3851 Old 08-16-2018, 02:09 PM

Thanks @mdavej , @rdgrimes and @m_snow for your help!

LG C8, Denon AVR-X4500H, Apple 4K TV, Sony UBP-X1000ES, 7.1.2 audio, (speakers = LCR-750 MKII for LCR with K-4 surrounds, V8 Movie sub, M&K K-7 rear surrounds, ELAC Debut 2.0 for FH)
post #2812 of 3851 Old 08-16-2018, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks @mdavej , @rdgrimes and @m_snow for your help!
My apologies, my comment re FLIRC was for @lovingdvd

Mike
post #2813 of 3851 Old 08-17-2018, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2972 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Thanks @mdavej ... for your help!
Sure thing. Post back if you try more than 256 activities. I'd like to confirm this is still the limit, but I'm too lazy to make 257 activities to find out. The last confirmation of this came from Logitech many years ago, well before the Elite. My best guess is each activity has a one byte pointer. If this is now two bytes possibly, that means the limit would be 65,536. But I can't think of a good reason they would change this. 256 is still way beyond what a typical user would ever make. It would probably take about 30 seconds just to scroll to the middle of such a large list.

It would be interesting to know what sort of system you have that would require unlimited activities. In my 18 device system, I only have a couple dozen activities. And even those get awkward to manage on my remote (not Harmony). There is a point where the time/steps required to access a given macro becomes greater than the steps in the macro itself. If for example, you have a macro that tunes channel 123 on page one of your interface, that's one step, saving you 2 steps. However if said macro is on the 3rd page of your interface, that's 4 steps which is greater than the number of steps in the macro (3). This is the main reason I limit my favorites macros to 2 pages. I give a lot of thought to quick access when I design a remote layout.
erudolph likes this.

Last edited by mdavej; 08-17-2018 at 11:35 AM.
post #2814 of 3851 Old 08-20-2018, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quick question about lighting in an activity, if harmony remembers the last lighting setting, when setting up "end activities" and setting the lights to off, you can still adjust that slider.

If the slider is all the way down even though the light is off, does it remember the last lighting level as all the way off?

If i like my lights at 100% when on, when i set the end activity should i be making sure that slider is still at 100% even if the light is set to off?

Bit confusing, to me if the light is off the slider should not exist. But i just dont know if that slider is all the way down even when the light is set to off, does harmony think that was the last setting.
post #2815 of 3851 Old 08-24-2018, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Strange App Behaviour

I have an annoying issue with the Harmony app when controlling my Logitech Elite:

My wife and I have the app installed on each of our iPhones and iPads (so four devices), but we usually only use it on our iPads.

During the day, when it is likely that only one of us is watching TV, the app immediately becomes active when one of us opens it on our ipad.

However, during the evening when we are both watching TV either one of us will pick up our iPad to change activity, volume/channel, pause TV or DVD play, etc. In this case the app invariably (but not always) displays the message "Connecting to Hubname on Networkname" with a spinning activity wheel for some time, which could be 10-30 seconds or more. Closing the app and restarting it makes no difference; same message and wait. When this happens the same thing will occur on the other iPad. However, if I then pick up my iPhone and open the app it works instantly, while both iPads are still still displaying the message and the spinning wheel of doom.

Any idea what could cause this weird behaviour on two iPads, but not on an iPhone at the same time?
post #2816 of 3851 Old 08-24-2018, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3750 Post(s)
Liked: 2956
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmeroman View Post
Any idea what could cause this weird behaviour on two iPads, but not on an iPhone at the same time?
That sounds like poor wifi reception.
post #2817 of 3851 Old 08-24-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 282
^^farmeroman: Try logging into your wifi/modem and change the control channel where it is less congested. Mine tells me if it is or not. Only wished this remote and hub could handle 5.8G channel which is less congested!
post #2818 of 3851 Old 08-25-2018, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
^^farmeroman: Try logging into your wifi/modem and change the control channel where it is less congested. Mine tells me if it is or not. Only wished this remote and hub could handle 5.8G channel which is less congested!
Already done. I also flip between 2.4GHz & 5GHz channels but it makes no difference. I could understand it being a wifi issue but for the fact it works on the iPhone, but not on the iPads at the same time.

That said I've been thinking about replacing my ageing router for a while so I may just go and do it anyway and see what happens.
post #2819 of 3851 Old 08-25-2018, 08:49 AM

Slow motion control of Sony Blu-Ray player

Hi all... new Harmony user here. In order to play slo-mo in reverse on my Sony Blu-Ray player, one holds the Rewind button down for one second when in Pause. In order to step backwards, one taps the Rewind button for each step when in Pause. Similarly for Forward slow and step.

On the Harmony remote, when I put the player in Pause and hold the Rewind button for one second, it treats it as a long press and goes back a chapter. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to program these functions? They are not in the command database.

post #2820 of 3851 Old 08-25-2018, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 282
^^ You can always program those buttons just for the Sony player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page