Official URC MX-450 Remote Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #31 of 141 Old 09-17-2016, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak5 View Post
I am wondering what to pick, can someone help me?

MX-450 at $149
R50 at $46

Since the price difference is too much wondering if R50 would do the trick. Would R50 be compatible with Amazon Fire TV stick?

Sorry but neither of them can control a Fire Stick. So if you don't need RF, to control IR only devices out of sight, then go with R50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 141 Old 09-17-2016, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked: 1445
It is possible to control a Fire stick via HDMI-CEC if your TV has the capability. In that case you could use any IR universal remote and TV commands. I have 5 Fire sticks on various TVs and control most of them via HDMI-CEC and IR remotes. Only some of my very old and very cheap TVs won't do CEC.

On my remote, to keep things straight in my mind, I make my own custom Fire Stick device which consists of only the relevant CEC commands (nav, playback and menu commands). The only command that usually doesn't work is the menu command itself. But very few apps utilize it anyway, and there are usually workarounds.

I hate to thread crap, since you're looking at URC. But I have to put in a plug for the $20 Nevo C3. Which is functionally very similar to the R50 but adds PC programmability in addition to on-remote programmability.

Last edited by mdavej; 09-17-2016 at 01:44 PM.
post #33 of 141 Old 09-18-2016, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak5 View Post
I am wondering what to pick, can someone help me?

MX-450 at $149
R50 at $46

Since the price difference is too much wondering if R50 would do the trick. Would R50 be compatible with Amazon Fire TV stick?
I think you can get by with the R50 given that big of a price difference. There's even some key-copy/move capability on the R50 that I wish the MX-450 still had; the only thing you would miss is the ability to "back-up".

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.00]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 141 Old 12-20-2016, 06:46 AM
G&G

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the MX 450 for a few years and it's been great. But now the battery cover is broken, and the light button on the right is broken. Is this still the best tool on the market? I would like to buy another one and then copy over the programming if possible.

I'm running 8 devices off of it, and it does the job.

I have two detailed questions:
1 - Is it possible to transfer over the programming from an old one to a new one (and 1a - can I do it on a Mac)
2 - Is it truly not possible to move buttons? Before I delete and re-add buttons, I would like to confirm.

Thanks
post #35 of 141 Old 12-20-2016, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 339
About the only thing you can do with the software is save a configuration and restore it later (to the same model). I don't know about using a MAC though.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #36 of 141 Old 12-20-2016, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&G View Post
I've had the MX 450 for a few years and it's been great. But now the battery cover is broken, and the light button on the right is broken. Is this still the best tool on the market? I would like to buy another one and then copy over the programming if possible.

I'm running 8 devices off of it, and it does the job.

I have two detailed questions:
1 - Is it possible to transfer over the programming from an old one to a new one (and 1a - can I do it on a Mac)
2 - Is it truly not possible to move buttons? Before I delete and re-add buttons, I would like to confirm.

Thanks
I went through the same decision process a little over a year ago (keep it or replace it)...and I decided to keep it.
You can transfer/copy via the software, but it's PC only.
It is possible to "move" buttons if you hex/ascii edit the .mx450 files...but it's not recommended

post #37 of 141 Old 01-08-2017, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Really user programmable?

I am getting an MX-450 this week to move my components into a closet so the room looks cleaner. However, the A/V company I am purchasing through has told me that is can only be programmed by installers. Imagine my delight when I found this thread and the first post says it that I should be able to do it.

Are there any tutorials or documentation I can look through so that I don't need to call an installer if I happen to buy a PS4 or PS5 (when it comes out?)

Any info you can share would be immensely appreciated.
post #38 of 141 Old 01-08-2017, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
the A/V company I am purchasing through has told me that is can only be programmed by installers
I would suggest you changed your "A/V company" since that is wrong, at least with that model.
It can only be programed thru the remote, not a PC. You can 'save' the config file thru a PC with openly available S/W. No 'real' tutorial is needed.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #39 of 141 Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedukeo8 View Post
Are there any tutorials or documentation I can look through so that I don't need to call an installer if I happen to buy a PS4 or PS5 (when it comes out?)
I second @videobruce comments, and would add this about "new" components (like PSX).
1) See if there is an (older) existing component/template that comes close and then modify as necessary
2) Otherwise start from "scratch"

Remember, you can add/delete/edit existing buttons and "learn" any function/button. For example, my (new) Panasonic UHD player is a combination of an (old) Panasonic DVD player template and "learned" functions/buttons. I delete the pages/buttons I don't need.

post #40 of 141 Old 01-09-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Remember, you can add/delete/edit existing buttons and "learn" any function/button. For example, my (new) Panasonic UHD player is a combination of an (old) Panasonic DVD player template and "learned" functions/buttons. I delete the pages/buttons I don't need.

Appreciated, I may have more questions later though I'm hoping it will be easy to figure out.

Incidentally, you aren't too far from me. Just an odd recognition.
Stanton likes this.
post #41 of 141 Old 01-10-2017, 12:20 PM
JVL

Programming Discrete Inputs for Anthem AV processor

I have used the MX-450 for many years in my main AV setup which until recently had an Anthem D2v processor as the "hub". Macros were programmed for system power-up, shut-down and input source changes. I recently replaced the D2v with an AVM-60 (for Atmos) and discovered that the codes for the D2v did not work with the new processor. I used the AVM-60 remote to teach the MX-450 most of the basic commands (On, Off, volume up/down, etc) so that the system was somewhat functional. I discovered that the AVM-60 remote lacks buttons for direct source select and to change sources you need use a button to bring up a source list, then scroll up/down and then select the new source. This situation is not ideal from a macro perspective as the macro would need to know what source was currently selected to work properly. The good news is that Anthem provides an IR code download for the AVM60 which includes discrete source selection commands. My question is how can I get these commands into the MX-450?

- Can the MX-450 file uploaded to the PC be modified to replace the existing D2v discrete source codes with the AVM-60 equivalent?
- My MX-450 is a few years old so the database would not include the newer Anthem codes. Is there a way to get an updated database that may include the new Anthem codes into the remote?
- I read about JP1 remotes earlier in this thread. I am assuming this could be another way to get these codes into the MX-450 but I am concerned about the learning curve for doing this.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
post #42 of 141 Old 01-10-2017, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVL View Post
Can the MX-450 file uploaded to the PC be modified to replace the existing D2v discrete source codes with the AVM-60 equivalent?
Yes, but it requires patience and a Hex editor. I was able to swap some buttons around (on the menus), but codes are in Hex and I'm not certain you could figure it out.

Quote:
My MX-450 is a few years old so the database would not include the newer Anthem codes. Is there a way to get an updated database that may include the new Anthem codes into the remote?
There is a way to "update" the database (with the same tool as described earlier in this thread), but I don't think they've updated that database for a few years. Don't know if it's worth a call to URC.

Quote:
I read about JP1 remotes earlier in this thread. I am assuming this could be another way to get these codes into the MX-450 but I am concerned about the learning curve for doing this.
Don't know about that; once you "learn" the code, you can back it up forever.

post #43 of 141 Old 01-11-2017, 11:16 AM
JVL

Quote:
Yes, but it requires patience and a Hex editor. I was able to swap some buttons around (on the menus), but codes are in Hex and I'm not certain you could figure it out.

There is a way to "update" the database (with the same tool as described earlier in this thread), but I don't think they've updated that database for a few years. Don't know if it's worth a call to URC.

Don't know about that; once you "learn" the code, you can back it up forever.
Thanks Stanton,

I may take a stab at the Hex editor approach. Can't hurt fiddling with the code as long as I keep an original as backup.

With respect to using a JP1 remote, the way I think it could help is since this remote is so hackable and seems to have an assortment of software tools, I could upload the Anthem AVM60 discrete source select codes to this remote, then use it to "teach" the MX-450.

Joe
post #44 of 141 Old 01-18-2017, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone know if this remote will work with the next gen extender? I know most (if not all) remotes with rechargeable batteries and some with a larger LCD won't work with the next gen, though I've not seen this one listed as one that doesn't work.

I'd like to save some $$ and use the next gen over a URC RF blaster if it'll work.

Working on my first ht kit...
post #45 of 141 Old 01-18-2017, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have used many previous models of URC RF remote with next gen extender, the 418 mhz version, and without the need for the battery gizmo. Since URC RF remote communicated directly with spaceship base station. The standard frequency for URC rf remotes is 418mhz, some models are 433mhz, which are the i series, like mx-900i or 890i.
post #46 of 141 Old 01-18-2017, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
I have used many previous models of URC RF remote with next gen extender, the 418 mhz version, and without the need for the battery gizmo. Since URC RF remote communicated directly with spaceship base station. The standard frequency for URC rf remotes is 418mhz, some models are 433mhz, which are the i series, like mx-900i or 890i.
Thanks Edmund. So it seems safe to say that if I order the 418mhz version I'll then be able to control it with the MX-450 without having to use the battery from the next gen. Not that having to use the battery is that big a deal, but it would be nice to only have to rely on standard batteries and replace them as they wear down.

Working on my first ht kit...
post #47 of 141 Old 02-06-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Anybody here using the MX-450 with a 2016 LG OLED television? I'm planning on getting the LG OLED55E6 Is looking around to see if anybody found the best code set for that television. I know I will probably end up just searching for the best code set I figured I would ask beforehand.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BD Player
Roku Premium+ 4k / AppleTV 4K 4th Gen
Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver / Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers
post #48 of 141 Old 02-06-2017, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
Anybody here using the MX-450 with a 2016 LG OLED television? I'm planning on getting the LG OLED55E6 Is looking around to see if anybody found the best code set for that television. I know I will probably end up just searching for the best code set I figured I would ask beforehand.
I'm using it with a 2015 OLED, which is probably the same.
There's no exact match, so I start with #0569 and then "learned" the HOME key from a cheaper LG TV remote (the OLEDs all have the Magic Remote that's BT, not IR). I also "learned" the SERVICE MODE keys from a repair shop's remote (you can also get the HOME key from one of those). I then hide/delete some of the extra inputs, etc.
I use a wireless mouse to navigate instead of that wonky Magic Remote.

post #49 of 141 Old 02-06-2017, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm using it with a 2015 OLED, which is probably the same.
There's no exact match, so I start with #0569 and then "learned" the HOME key from a cheaper LG TV remote (the OLEDs all have the Magic Remote that's BT, not IR). I also "learned" the SERVICE MODE keys from a repair shop's remote (you can also get the HOME key from one of those). I then hide/delete some of the extra inputs, etc.
I use a wireless mouse to navigate instead of that wonky Magic Remote.
@Stanton ,

Yes the 2015 model should have the same basic IR code. Thank you for the information I really appreciate it. Being a quadriplegic paralyzed neck down I can't use my hands so I could not utilize a mouse or trackpad. I also would not be able to utilize the magic remote. I think the one I'm getting comes with the larger long remote. I'm hoping the navigation keys from that code will allow me to maneuver around the menu's ok. Again, thank you for the information. Now I just have to order the television.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #50 of 141 Old 02-07-2017, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm hoping the navigation keys from that code will allow me to maneuver around the menu's ok.
As a matter of fact they do! My son actually prefers using them over the mouse...and even I find it easier sometimes with Netflix.
Enjoy your new toy(s).

post #51 of 141 Old 02-07-2017, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As a matter of fact they do! My son actually prefers using them over the mouse...and even I find it easier sometimes with Netflix.
Enjoy your new toy(s).
@Stanton

Again thank you very much. I appreciate it. My current Samsung smart remote came ith the minimal buttons and pointer control very similar to the LG's remote. I was able to purchase a regular Samsung remote that worked with the television model. That allowed me to learn any buttons to the MX-450 that wasn't already in the URC's code set. Can be a bit slow when typing on the onscreen keyboard But it is doable. I'm kind of assuming I will be able to control the LG TV basically the same way.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #52 of 141 Old 02-15-2017, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Stanton ,

Just wanted to let you know I found a better code to operate my 2016 OLED55E6P television. With this code I don't need another remote to program anything into my MX-450. It even has the "Home" and "Info" codes. The code is "666" if you would like to try it.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #53 of 141 Old 02-15-2017, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Stanton ,

Just wanted to let you know I found a better code to operate my 2016 OLED55E6P television. With this code I don't need another remote to program anything into my MX-450. It even has the "Home" and "Info" codes. The code is "666" if you would like to try it.
Assuming that code won't possess the remote, I'm going to give it a try! If you only knew the PITA I went through to "learn" that "Home" key, but I needed the "Service Mode" keys anyway.
Thanks for posting back.

post #54 of 141 Old 02-16-2017, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Assuming that code won't possess the remote, I'm going to give it a try! If you only knew the PITA I went through to "learn" that "Home" key, but I needed the "Service Mode" keys anyway.
Thanks for posting back.
Hahaha! Touché.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #55 of 141 Old 03-14-2017, 09:43 AM

Just curious, where are you guys getting the HEX codes for the different devices, are they available in the software mentioned earlier, or are you doing web searches for them?
post #56 of 141 Old 03-14-2017, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedukeo8 View Post
Just curious, where are you guys getting the HEX codes for the different devices, are they available in the software mentioned earlier, or are you doing web searches for them?
There is a menu item that's something like "show codes" in either the Basic or Advanced menu.
FYI I don't think the actual codes are HEX (I've never seen one with a letter).

post #57 of 141 Old 03-30-2017, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
There is a menu item that's something like "show codes" in either the Basic or Advanced menu.
FYI I don't think the actual codes are HEX (I've never seen one with a letter).
Greetings,

Is the MRF-260i the correct base station to use if I'm moving my equipment behind wood doors instead of line of site as they are now?

Thanks Kevin.

Kevin
post #58 of 141 Old 03-30-2017, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmayerkmayer View Post
Greetings,

Is the MRF-260i the correct base station to use if I'm moving my equipment behind wood doors instead of line of site as they are now?

Thanks Kevin.

No, i series of base stations are for use with 433 MHz remotes like mx-900i, mx-890i and so on. The mx-450 is strictly available in the 418 MHz, so would use mrf260 or mrf350.
post #59 of 141 Old 03-30-2017, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
No, i series of base stations are for use with 433 MHz remotes like mx-900i, mx-890i and so on. The mx-450 is strictly available in the 418 MHz, so would use mrf260 or mrf350.
Thanks so much Edmund. It looks like the difference between these two units is "expand Range by adding RfX-250 Rf sensors in Remote areas" which i probably don't need. Do you happen to know if there are other important differences i should know about? Thanks again for your time.

Kevin

Kevin
post #60 of 141 Old 04-18-2017, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How to Add Sony PS4 to MX-450 Remote?

Hi All,

Posting in this thread,,

Hello,

I am trying to program the MX-450 universal remote so I can add a sony ps4 to it.

I press Main for 3 seconds, go to basic set up, next, add a device, but I don't see anywhere on here for type of device on where to add gaming console, it just has tv,cable,sat, dvd, audio,aux,light,web-tv,dvr,vcr,ld,cd, and tape.

I've also tried the learn function with no success.

I went through all the type of devices options, but none of them are applicable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure why a modern universal remote would even have options for vcr / tape....this is so 1970's & 1980's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page