Official URC MX-450 Remote Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #61 of 141 Old 04-19-2017, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by User20171 View Post
Hi All,

Posting in this thread,,

Hello,

I am trying to program the MX-450 universal remote so I can add a sony ps4 to it.

I press Main for 3 seconds, go to basic set up, next, add a device, but I don't see anywhere on here for type of device on where to add gaming console, it just has tv,cable,sat, dvd, audio,aux,light,web-tv,dvr,vcr,ld,cd, and tape.

I've also tried the learn function with no success.

I went through all the type of devices options, but none of them are applicable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure why a modern universal remote would even have options for vcr / tape....this is so 1970's & 1980's
Disclaimer: this remote can only learn IR codes, so if the PS4 doesn't have an IR remote, you won't get anywhere.
There's nothing wrong with choosing "aux" and then "learning" everything; you can overwrite every (internal) code if you want. I have an (old) HD-DVR that wasn't in the database, so I found a similar device where 1 or 2 buttons worked and then "learned" everything else.
Just remember to save your configuration (see earlier posts in this thread) after you go to all that work.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.00]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 141 Old 05-15-2017, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 293
PS4 is not an IR or RF device. So it wont work directly with any IR/RF remote.

What I did was connect the PS4 via HDMI to my projector (or TV) and then any "dvd" style commands sent to the TV/Projector will be redirected to the PS4 via the HDMI cable. It works flawlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by User20171 View Post
Hi All,

Posting in this thread,,

Hello,

I am trying to program the MX-450 universal remote so I can add a sony ps4 to it.

I press Main for 3 seconds, go to basic set up, next, add a device, but I don't see anywhere on here for type of device on where to add gaming console, it just has tv,cable,sat, dvd, audio,aux,light,web-tv,dvr,vcr,ld,cd, and tape.

I've also tried the learn function with no success.

I went through all the type of devices options, but none of them are applicable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure why a modern universal remote would even have options for vcr / tape....this is so 1970's & 1980's

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #63 of 141 Old 05-19-2017, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've switched from a Logitech to the mx-450. Admittedly it is much more complicated to program. However I am a geek and a programmer so I quickly figured it out and has been quite fun to program actually.

I have a few tips for all:

-To set up a new device, you do NOT necessarily have to Select a device from the list etc. What you do is create a new label on main screen, give it a name and an icon, and save. Then you create new buttons for that new empty 'device' by again creating new labels inside the device. Last you LEARN new IR commands for each button. That way you don't have to deal with buttons from an existing template device that you will end up
Overwriting anyway.

-Putting a delay at the top of a macro has a special meaning. It means that for the macro to execute, you will need to press and HOLD that button. This is incredibly useful. For example I have a lights ON button 'device' on my main menu that is simply a learned ir command. But I also have a macro on that button that turns OFF the lights. So what I do now is click once for ON. Or click hold for OFF. BOOM!
Another use for this is for main activities. Example my Watch Tv activity is a cable box device layout (once inside the activity). But there is a macro that turns on all devices associated with it. Since I didn't t want the macro executing every time I switch to, say, page 1 of main screen, and back to Watch TV activity, I set the macro up for press-hold. So now at first I press and hold to switch everything on and take me to my cable box menu. Thereafter, I only press once to switch back-and-forth if needed. I have it set up this way for all main activities, to avoid constant power ON commands etc.

I'll keep on adding tips here.

-
Alan P and valkenaar like this.

Setup: Epson 5040 UB, 110" SilverTicket AT screen, PS3 bluray, Yamaha RX-V673 AVR, Polk and Athena speakers, Batcave room.
The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 141 Old 05-19-2017, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 339
I have a 350, 450 and two 900 (with a spare). I always program them only in learning mode so only the functions I use will be active instead of loading it up with a bunch of useless buttons. It takes longer, but it's more customizable and I can use hard buttons for something other than what they were intended for. Thou, I need to be sure the learned function is easily remembered.

The macros I use are to power up multiple devices TV, A/V receiver & source device. Also to access special menu functions depending on how lame the company was when they came up with the menu map. Picture controls for example, the most used menu function on a TV/monitor. I set the time to one second since it usually is more like two.

Delays are also important to allow sluggish menus to respond especially if there are a number of navigation key presses needed. Six to eight is not unusual due to poor design choices.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #65 of 141 Old 05-19-2017, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll be honest: I've given up using Macros to turn things on/off. My TV and AVR pretty much stay on from morning until night (on the days they are used), so I turn my sources on/off manually.

post #66 of 141 Old 05-20-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
My TV and AVR pretty much stay on from morning until night
Not very 'green' are you??

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #67 of 141 Old 05-20-2017, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Not very 'green' are you??
Well...I drive a Nissan Leaf...does that count?
To be fair, the "all day" thing only happens on the weekends.

post #68 of 141 Old 05-21-2017, 07:00 AM

Yes, but why not be green all the way around?
No, you didn't mention just weekends. I assume you have kids/

post #69 of 141 Old 05-24-2017, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello,
Can the MX-450 send both IR and RF commands within a single macro? For example, all my current components are IR (Epson projector, Samsung TV, Yamaha receiver, Comcast cable box, Xbox) except for the EliteScreens electric drop down screen. All have been configured within the MX-450 and work great except the screen. The screen case is housed inside a box to allow it to better blend in with the wall. This blocks the IR sensor just enough to make the remote miss it if I am not pointing right at it. The screen is both IR and RF. I'd also like to use the RF for a light dimmer to be installed at some point. (the switch is on the opposite wall as the screen). Just looking to get confirmation that both IR and RF can be used (without the addition of a base station) within a macro.

Thanks for any guidance you can pass along.
post #70 of 141 Old 05-24-2017, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo1661 View Post
Hello,
Can the MX-450 send both IR and RF commands within a single macro? For example, all my current components are IR (Epson projector, Samsung TV, Yamaha receiver, Comcast cable box, Xbox) except for the EliteScreens electric drop down screen. All have been configured within the MX-450 and work great except the screen. The screen case is housed inside a box to allow it to better blend in with the wall. This blocks the IR sensor just enough to make the remote miss it if I am not pointing right at it. The screen is both IR and RF. I'd also like to use the RF for a light dimmer to be installed at some point. (the switch is on the opposite wall as the screen). Just looking to get confirmation that both IR and RF can be used (without the addition of a base station) within a macro.

IIRC, you can't selectively turn RF on/off: it's in the "setup" menu so it's either one or the other.
My screen IR sensor is a bit blocked also, but I use it so seldom it doesn't really matter.

post #71 of 141 Old 05-24-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The mx450 can indeed be set up so that once device is set for RF and the other for IR. Then, you can have a macro perform functions for both of those devices. So in one press of a button it will communicate IR to one, and RF to the other.

I have it set up his way. So I know it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Quote:
Hello,

IIRC, you can't selectively turn RF on/off: it's in the "setup" menu so it's either one or the other.
My screen IR sensor is a bit blocked also, but I use it so seldom it doesn't really matter.
post #72 of 141 Old 05-24-2017, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the response. I hear what you are saying Stanton as I am guessing after the newness wears off, I will probably just leave the screen in the down position most of the time. I do like the idea however of "showing off" a bit for friends with a remote doing all the work to launch it all. (to include dimming of lights) Thanks for the confirmation gnolivos! I will re-setup the screen for RF and move forward with macros. I got this remote from a friend who works in AV and the customer did not care for it. His loss is my gain I suppose.
post #73 of 141 Old 05-24-2017, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just reread your question. I believe that you cannot send an RF command directly to a device, in this case your screen. The RF command goes to the base station, and the station translate that into an IR command.

I may be wrong, but I know for a fact that I have an RF roller shade which will not comunicate with the remote via RF directly.

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I hear what you are saying Stanton as I am guessing after the newness wears off, I will probably just leave the screen in the down position most of the time. I do like the idea however of "showing off" a bit for friends with a remote doing all the work to launch it all. (to include dimming of lights) Thanks for the confirmation gnolivos! I will re-setup the screen for RF and move forward with macros. I got this remote from a friend who works in AV and the customer did not care for it. His loss is my gain I suppose.
post #74 of 141 Old 05-25-2017, 06:45 AM

You can program the remote for IR, RF or both for each device separately AFAIR.

The 'RF' command goes to the remote station that sends it put as a IR signal. The 900, 450 & 350 (for example) are compatible with the 260 remote station. All three remotes will use one 260 for certain devices including an antenna rotor.

post #75 of 141 Old 05-25-2017, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Not to start a controversy, but I'm pretty sure you can use the RF function of this remote (within a reasonable range) without a base station. I distinctly remember having to turn the RF off because I was (unexpectedly) changing channels on another (RF enabled) DVR device in an adjacent room.

post #76 of 141 Old 05-25-2017, 08:00 AM

RF functions to what??

post #77 of 141 Old 05-25-2017, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
RF functions to what??
Turning the RF portion on/off (it always sends IR).

post #78 of 141 Old 05-25-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you can use the RF function of this remote (within a reasonable range) without a base station.
My question was in reference to this statement.

post #79 of 141 Old 05-25-2017, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My question was in reference to this statement:
I'm pretty sure you can use the RF function of this remote (within a reasonable range) without a base station.
I tried to "cut-and-paste" the statement to your post.
What I meant was this remote emits an RF signal directly...you don't need an RF basestation.

post #80 of 141 Old 05-25-2017, 10:38 AM

That RF signal is meant for their base station. Something else is supposed to recognize that signal? That is what I meant by my original question.

post #81 of 141 Old 05-25-2017, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That RF signal is meant for their base station. Something else is supposed to recognize that signal? That is what I meant by my original question.
Well, my DVR sure recognized that signal! That's why I had to turn it "off" (all the cable boxes in the house were changing channels).

post #82 of 141 Old 05-25-2017, 02:52 PM

Is it a MSO supplied DVR and which one? I didn't know any of those were 'RF'.

post #83 of 141 Old 05-25-2017, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is it a MSO supplied DVR and which one? I didn't know any of those were 'RF'.
Yes: Verizon...and neither did I! Took me like a month to figure out what was happening!

post #84 of 141 Old 05-25-2017, 11:06 PM

Great dialog. Not too sure where I am exactly but will just test it out and see if I can control the EliteScreen with an RF signal. Also will try a dimmer switch via the same. If I need to go the base station route, so be it. Anyone have a recommendation on a dimmer switch that communicates via RF with this remote? (Google search mentions Lutron?) As previously mentioned, the switch is located opposite wall from the screen making an IR signal unlikely to work with one touch.

Thanks again for all the input.
post #85 of 141 Old 05-26-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 450
The MX-450 sends a RF frequency signal of 418MHz to the base station. So if you have a device that can receive a RF 418 MHz frequency signal then the MX-450 is capable of controlling it without the base station. If I remember correctly, I think direct TV had a couple of set-top boxes in the past that would receive RF signal. Which frequency range they used I don't know.And I'm sure in the past there have been other devices that would do the same.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BD Player
Roku Premium+ 4k / AppleTV 4K 4th Gen
Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver / Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers
post #86 of 141 Old 07-16-2017, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Any Known Problems Restoring from a Backup/Archive?

My installer just did a major overdue upgrade of my home theater, and part of the new equipment is an MX-450, which he fully programmed for me. One major factor in my choice of this remote was the ability to program it myself (I have prior experience programming the old Marantz RC-1400, and have done MUCHO computer programming over a long dissolute lifetime). The installer, whom I trust absolutely (he's been 'my AV guy' for 15 years) encourages me in doing this, but he told me that his experience with backup(upload, archive) / download(restore) is that when restoring a backed up (archived) MX-450 image his experience was that all codes and Activities/Pages were correctly restored, but a lot of text (labels, help text, etc.) was garbled in the restored Remote. But he has not used the current Archiver software, which I just downloaded yesterday. Does anyone have experience and/or thoughts re this issue?

Many thanks in advance!
Joe N.
post #87 of 141 Old 07-16-2017, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Newer mx-450 remotes have a newer software, making previous archived files useless, you would have to start from scratch.
post #88 of 141 Old 07-17-2017, 05:10 AM

gnolivos; Where did that holder come from?? Also what are the two pieces above the A/V receiver?

Edmund; Starting from what date?

post #89 of 141 Old 07-17-2017, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 57
At least a few weeks ago and going forward. Its due to parts no longer being available that were used to make mx-450, the new parts make the older files not work in the new remotes. I guess new and old can both use Archive software. If you have access, see this notice:

http://www.urccontrolroom.com/forums...-MX-450-Remote
post #90 of 141 Old 07-17-2017, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
At least a few weeks ago and going forward. Its due to parts no longer being available that were used to make mx-450, the new parts make the older files not work in the new remotes. I guess new and old can both use Archive software. If you have access, see this notice:

http://www.urccontrolroom.com/forums...-MX-450-Remote
Since that link is only accessible to "registered" users, could you post the announcement in this thread (if it isn't too long)?
This doesn't make sense since you can download/update the firmware as well as the codes on the MX-450. I just don't see how a product with the same part number is not backward compatible with it's own firmware?
videobruce likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page