post #331 of 350 Old 05-25-2020, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungarianhc View Post
Would anyone recommend this as a new purchase today? I'm looking at an AV setup, and my guy is recommending this remote as the universal remote. I'm sure he's an expert w/ it, and can very quickly program it to work super well, but I just don't want some huge monstrosity with a numpad and stuff like that on it. The URC website is difficult to decipher, in terms of understanding what their current line of remotes is, but it doesn't appear like the MX-990 is on there.

I use the 990 every day and highly recommend them but, only if he gives you a copy of the CCP software and his initial file. Vendors come and go and URC is not known for being end-user friendly, so it would behoove you to have that stuff in case something happens down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 350 Old 05-25-2020, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3306 Post(s)
Liked: 1527
Quote:
Would anyone recommend this as a new purchase today? ... I just don't want some huge monstrosity with a numpad and stuff like that on it.
Then why are you considering the MX-990, a "huge monstrosity with a numpad and stuff like that on it"? The Harmony Elite has no num pad, and you can program it yourself, saving thousands.

Don't get me wrong, the 990 is fantastic, but it doesn't check any of your boxes.
Mikejl likes this.
post #333 of 350 Old 05-25-2020, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Then why are you considering the MX-990, a "huge monstrosity with a numpad and stuff like that on it"? The Harmony Elite has no num pad, and you can program it yourself, saving thousands.

Don't get me wrong, the 990 is fantastic, but it doesn't check any of your boxes.
It's not so much that I'm going out of my way to consider it. I really like the work my AV installer does, and this is the remote he put in the quote. He's obviously a URC guy, and I'm okay with that business model - I just wanted to see if this remote is really good, still supported, etc. Looks like feedback is positive. Does URC make a remote that doesn't have as many buttons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 350 Old 05-25-2020, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3306 Post(s)
Liked: 1527
Quote:
Does URC make a remote that doesn't have as many buttons?
Currently, URC has a couple of models with lots of buttons or zero buttons (touchscreens). Just tell your AV guy, "yeah, that's a nice remote, but I don't want all those buttons". He should be able to find a better solution that meets your requirements. Otherwise, you're spending a lot of money on something you don't really even want.

Check out their website to see what's available:
https://www.universalremote.com/prod...s-and-keypads/
post #335 of 350 Old 05-26-2020, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
I just wanted to see if this remote is really good, still supported, etc.
Don't have MX-990, do have MX-980's and program them myself.

One of the main attractions of these remotes is macros. One button push turns all my equipment on and selects a music source. Another button push turns on projector and selects a source (disc player, streaming device, etc.) When ready to watch one more button push selects the desired source, turns off all the light sources (many as in neons, rope lights, sconces, display boxes, etc.) then selects the device controls (disc player, streaming device, etc.). I have most of my macros on the soft keys, that way I can label them and do my on graphics. When finished watching one button push turns off the projector, turns on the desired lights and selects a music source, selects the desired DSP, etc. I have 19 devices in my home theater and the MX-980 has no problem with most of them (limit is 255 devices and depends on the amount of graphics and macros used).

Another great feature for front projection users is when the remote is moved it lights up. All the keys are very easy see in the dark.

Programming, it is involved and not for the faint of heart. I am self taught. As posted earlier, I would insist on being given a copy of the CCP program, programming documentation and any add-ons for the MX-990. If your dealer agrees to this he/she may ask you to sign a document stating you will not give the software to another party.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #336 of 350 Old 05-27-2020, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Don't have MX-990, do have MX-980's and program them myself.

One of the main attractions of these remotes is macros. One button push turns all my equipment on and selects a music source. Another button push turns on projector and selects a source (disc player, streaming device, etc.) When ready to watch one more button push selects the desired source, turns off all the light sources (many as in neons, rope lights, sconces, display boxes, etc.) then selects the device controls (disc player, streaming device, etc.). I have most of my macros on the soft keys, that way I can label them and do my on graphics. When finished watching one button push turns off the projector, turns on the desired lights and selects a music source, selects the desired DSP, etc. I have 19 devices in my home theater and the MX-980 has no problem with most of them (limit is 255 devices and depends on the amount of graphics and macros used).

Another great feature for front projection users is when the remote is moved it lights up. All the keys are very easy see in the dark.

Programming, it is involved and not for the faint of heart. I am self taught. As posted earlier, I would insist on being given a copy of the CCP program, programming documentation and any add-ons for the MX-990. If your dealer agrees to this he/she may ask you to sign a document stating you will not give the software to another party.
Are you using the remote with a base station or just IR repeaters? I've been trying to get my 990 and the old MSC-400 to talk. While I've made it work here at home, it is currently not working. I guess I've screwed up my file.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Fronts: Power Sound Audio MTM-210T | Center: Power Sound Audio MTM-210C | Rears: Power Sound Audio MT-110SR | Sub: 2 x PSA V1811 | 2x4 MiniDSP HD
AVR: Denon AVR3312CI
| TV: Sony 65" KDL65W850C | Streaming: nVidia Shield 16GB 2018, Running Plex and Kodi | BluRay: PlayStation 3
post #337 of 350 Old 05-27-2020, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNLiberal View Post
Are you using the remote with a base station or just IR repeaters?
RF only via a URC MRF-260. A PDF of my control here.
CNLiberal likes this.
post #338 of 350 Old 05-27-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
RF only via a URC MRF-260. A PDF of my control here.
Thank you for the info! Do you have any guidance for how to pair the remote to the basestation? As far as I know, you have both devices in the same config file, and on the basestation you have to choose a channel. There's nothing else to do on the remote, as far as I know. As I said, I had this working, but I needed to make some changes, and somehow screwed up my file. I can't get the MSC-400 to pair with the remote anymore. I wonder if I need to hard reset the MSC-400. I know there's a button on the bottom, but I'm not sure when to press it for a reset. Thanks!

Fronts: Power Sound Audio MTM-210T | Center: Power Sound Audio MTM-210C | Rears: Power Sound Audio MT-110SR | Sub: 2 x PSA V1811 | 2x4 MiniDSP HD
| TV: Sony 65" KDL65W850C | Streaming: nVidia Shield 16GB 2018, Running Plex and Kodi | BluRay: PlayStation 3
post #339 of 350 Old 05-27-2020, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you have any guidance for how to pair the remote to the basestation?
When you add the MRF-260 you select the RF ID, use any other than 0 because 0 is only for test. Can be changed, in System Designer double click the MRF-260, then click it in the Model Designer and select Properties. Now you can change the Name, select a different RF ID number and name the four ports.
post #340 of 350 Old 05-30-2020, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Can this remote do IP control of Apple TV? Or will it just use the IR commands?
post #341 of 350 Old 05-31-2020, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can this remote do IP control of Apple TV? Or will it just use the IR commands?
The MX-990 is one way IR and RF control, RF requires a RF base station. The remote can do a combo of RF and IR, RF only and IR only. It can not do IP control, the discontinued MX-5000 can do IP control.

IIRC, URC has models in the Total Control line up that can do IP control.
post #342 of 350 Old 06-06-2020, 08:42 AM

I got fed up on Thursday night. My second (used from eBay) URC MSC-400 just stopped working. I don't know if there's an air flow requirement, but it was put in my rack, which is in the basement and it's cool down there. It would not connect to the PC I was using to program it.

So yesterday I called Best Buy and ordered an MRF-350. I picked it up yesterday and last night I got it hooked up. On the bottom of the base station I changed the knob to channel 8. I was able to re-use my RFX-250 receiver and cabling and phoenix connector. I chose my devices (AVR, Shield, Xfinity Box, HD Radio, Aux Video). I got basic connectivity up and working within the hour. I use a Flirc device to control my Shield. In the CCP, I used the Denon DP1610 DVD player for the Shield codes. I learned that the CCP defaults to 3 key repeats for IR. On the Shield, I had to delete the buttons and re-create them using a 1 key repeat. That made my keypresses on the Shield much faster.

Unfortunately, I'm having two issues that I don't know how to solve.

1. Wendell gave me the IR codes for Denon's TRIGGER1/2. Thank you! I found that those codes were included in the CCP's Denon AVR-3312 (MAIN 3) code set. If I highlight those codes (Trigger on/off) and hit the TEST button from the IR Database Navigator I see the remote pass that out it's own IR emitter. The Denon sees it and runs the command appropriately. Awesome!! When I add that to a "soft key" button on the screen in my Shield device, save the file, download the config to the remote, press that soft-key when I'm on the Shield device, nothing happens. I have tried copying the macro from one device screen to another. I've tried deleting the button macro contents and creating it individually and that doesn't work either. I've got not idea why it won't work.

2. I've got the same issue with my POWER OFF button on the remote. I've got the Macro configured on each MAIN page for each device and on the MAIN1 page. If I'm on the Shield main page, the power off button doesn't work. If I go back to the MAIN page and press power off, it works. Why???!! Drives me crazy. On my PUNCH THROUGH, I've tried each device's power set to NONE, and also MAIN1, and nothing allows me to power off from the SHIELD Main page.

Any help would be appreciated.

post #343 of 350 Old 06-06-2020, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked: 2950
Why do you use the Denon 1610 codes for the Shield? Can you explain that?

Thanks,

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #344 of 350 Old 06-06-2020, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any help would be appreciated.
First, because you have a Denon AVR I would use another brand for the FLIRC, I use a NEC CD player [NEC 2]. I use FLIRC and USB IR receiver for the Shield Pro, for the IR receiver codes from URC and Pronto hex are used. None are duplicated, Play is from FLIRC so URC Play is not used.

For number 1, in CCP I would create a new MX-990 remote (do not check any other buttons) then import your Denon AVR, add your trigger keys and see if they work.

For number 2, highlight your power button, select Macro and see what codes and/or macros you have assigned to each one.
post #345 of 350 Old 06-06-2020, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Why do you use the Denon 1610 codes for the Shield? Can you explain that?
He is using a FLIRC (here) so he can control the Shield with a IR remote. You have to program the FLIRC with a IR remote and he chose a Denon 1610 for the codes. I recommend folks use codes from old devices no longer made and from brands that they do not have.
post #346 of 350 Old 06-06-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
First, because you have a Denon AVR I would use another brand for the FLIRC, I use a NEC CD player [NEC 2]. I use FLIRC and USB IR receiver for the Shield Pro, for the IR receiver codes from URC and Pronto hex are used. None are duplicated, Play is from FLIRC so URC Play is not used.

For number 1, in CCP I would create a new MX-990 remote (do not check any other buttons) then import your Denon AVR, add your trigger keys and see if they work.

For number 2, highlight your power button, select Macro and see what codes and/or macros you have assigned to each one.
In this new file, should I also create the mrf-350 since that's what sending the codes and I already know that the 990 is sending correctly?

I just had a thought. Is this possibly because of my MRF-350 IR port device assignment? I don't have a code go to all ports. But the TV is on port 1, the AVR on 2, the Xfinity on 3 and the Shield on 4.

Last edited by CNLiberal; 06-06-2020 at 11:20 AM.
post #347 of 350 Old 06-06-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
In this new file, should I also create the mrf-350 since that's what sending the codes and I already know that the 990 is sending correctly?

I just had a thought. Is this possibly because of my MRF-350 IR port device assignment? I don't have a code go to all ports. But the TV is on port 1, the AVR on 2, the Xfinity on 3 and the Shield on 4.

OK, so I changed my PORT 4 (Shield) to output on all IR ports instead of port 4. That fixed the issue. However, this isn't what I necessarily want. How can I choose when a softkey/button outputs to a different port. I think this might tie into the fact that I've created devices at the beginning of the process, but when I'm assigning IR codes to a macro, I'm using the IR database. When I was doing this with the MSC-400, I could use the "TRANSPORT" window to choose my devices from the MSC-400, which each were defined to a port. I discovered the 'devices' window in the MRF-350 config file, but I lost it. What am I missing? Thanks!

EDIT: I see the IR ID field in the PROPERTIES of a button, but it shows button names, CABLE_button names, DVD_Button names and P1_1 through P1_J, P2-1 through P2-J, etc. Is this where I select which IR output? I wouldn't think so, because what if I want to have a macro on another page that hits several IR devices?

EDIT 2: That TRANSPORT window is wonky. I've tried to import my AVR's MAIN 2 and MAIN 3 devices, but they don't show in TRANSPORT even after refreshing.

Last edited by CNLiberal; 06-06-2020 at 01:40 PM.
post #348 of 350 Old 06-06-2020, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked: 2950
Quote:
He is using a FLIRC (here) so he can control the Shield with a IR remote. You have to program the FLIRC with a IR remote and he chose a Denon 1610 for the codes. I recommend folks use codes from old devices no longer made and from brands that they do not have.
Thanks... just ordered one earlier this week for when my Shield Pro arrives, so I haven't even cracked the box yet. If I run into a problem, can I turn to you for tech support

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #349 of 350 Old 06-07-2020, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How can I choose when a softkey/button outputs to a different port.
AFAIK only devices can be assigned to ports.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RF.PNG
Views:	10
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	2738378  
post #350 of 350 Old 06-07-2020, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Thanks... just ordered one earlier this week for when my Shield Pro arrives, so I haven't even cracked the box yet. If I run into a problem, can I turn to you for tech support
Just in case you have not visited, there is a thread for the Shield Pro here at AVS. I have made a few post there about my IR control of the Shield. Really do not use it that much, only use it to stream because I find the Oppo UDP-203 a much better media player. Also have a Roku Ultra 2019.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page