Harmony Hub to Denon AVR IR Input port - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bryansj
  • 1 Post By bryansj

post #1 of 11 Old 11-19-2015, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Harmony Hub to Denon AVR IR Input port

Anyone know offhand the correct way to configure this setup?

Harmony hub -> 2.5 mm mono male -> ??? ->Denon AVR IR input jack

I have read that the Denon AVR input should be a stereo 3.5 mm male, but I have also seen mention of needing a mono 3.5 mm male.

Quote from Logitech forums:

"From the Denon Website:
How do I connect to equipment using a stereo mini connector instead of a DB-9 connector?
Answer
The connection is simple and conforms to the following layout on the unit's jack:
TxD = Tip
RxD = Ring
Signal GND = Sleeve
Therefore for the stereo mini plug, you would connect the RxD of your controller to Tip, the TxD of
the controller to Ring, and the Signal GND to Sleeve"

Since IR is one-way, I'm guessing that either the tip or ring is useless, and should be ignored, so a mono input from the Hub should be appropriate.

Would a 2.5 mm mono (Tip and Sleeve, TS) -> 3.5 mm stereo (Tip, Ring, and Sleeve) adapter suffice?

If anyone knows the simple answer, without the explanation, that would be great too.

Thanks so much.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-20-2015, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Mono or stereo shouldn't matter. The mono receiving end will connect the ring area anyway.
Neurorad likes this.

post #3 of 11 Old 11-20-2015, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Mono or stereo shouldn't matter. The mono receiving end will connect the ring area anyway.
Won't the mono female receiving port connect the tip (Tx, per Denon tech support, as above), and ignore the ring?

I guess if I use a stereo TRS male to connect to the IR In mono receiver female port, and it doesn't work, I'll just reverse the wires.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-20-2015, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Won't the mono female receiving port connect the tip (Tx, per Denon tech support, as above), and ignore the ring?

I guess if I use a stereo TRS male to connect to the IR In mono receiver female port, and it doesn't work, I'll just reverse the wires.
As long as the mono side is wired with "left" for its signal it will work. Mono is combining ground and right signal. Going stereo into mono will merge the unused right signal with ground.
Neurorad likes this.

post #5 of 11 Old 11-20-2015, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
As long as the mono side is wired with "left" for its signal it will work. Mono is combining ground and right signal. Going stereo into mono will merge the unused right signal with ground.
I really appreciate the help.

post #6 of 11 Old 03-20-2016, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Bump
post #7 of 11 Old 03-24-2016, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm having issues with my Denon X3200W with the IR input as well, although I'm using a Nevo REX-433 with an XSight remote. In my manual for the Denon, there is no details or specifications for this connection, so at the moment I have a stereo 3.5mm male/male cable connected that I had laying around. It works terrible (maybe 50% of button presses register) so I'm hoping there's something I can do and hoping it's not related to the quality of the REX-433 RF receiver. I would love it somebody had some ideas or further background to share here. I suppose I could try an RF blaster instead and at least rule out the RF receiver.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-24-2016, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2972 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Can you try a mono plug instead? I think one stereo ring is for power, which you don't need and might be interfering with the signal. But I don't remember the circuit exactly. I think I posted something around here about in the past couple of years.

FWIW, I have an IR emitter from my REX stuck directly onto my Denon, and it works 100% of the time.

A little trick you might not know is that Denon discrete input commands not only go directly to the proper input but also act as discrete on. So the only Denon commands you need in your activity macros are the input commands, and discrete off for your master off activity.

If you point the remote directly at the Denon, does it work reliably? If not, the remote buttons are failing. If so, then something is wrong with your REX.

Last edited by mdavej; 03-24-2016 at 09:35 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-23-2018, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Anyone know offhand the correct way to configure this setup?

Harmony hub -> 2.5 mm mono male -> ??? ->Denon AVR IR input jack

I have read that the Denon AVR input should be a stereo 3.5 mm male, but I have also seen mention of needing a mono 3.5 mm male.

Quote from Logitech forums:

"From the Denon Website:
How do I connect to equipment using a stereo mini connector instead of a DB-9 connector?
Answer
The connection is simple and conforms to the following layout on the unit's jack:
TxD = Tip
RxD = Ring
Signal GND = Sleeve
Therefore for the stereo mini plug, you would connect the RxD of your controller to Tip, the TxD of
the controller to Ring, and the Signal GND to Sleeve"

Since IR is one-way, I'm guessing that either the tip or ring is useless, and should be ignored, so a mono input from the Hub should be appropriate.

Would a 2.5 mm mono (Tip and Sleeve, TS) -> 3.5 mm stereo (Tip, Ring, and Sleeve) adapter suffice?

If anyone knows the simple answer, without the explanation, that would be great too.

Thanks so much.
Old post, but I was wondering if you ever got this to work? I assume most recent denon receiver is same way.

while treating the sleeve as ground, I redirect the mono tip conductivity to either the tip and ring of a stereo plug, one at a time, and neither worked.
The mono is plugged to my IR repeater block, my yamaha AVR worked with with mono to mono..

I don't think damage is done by plugging mono plug into the jack, as the RX and ground are shorted by the mono sleeve. I think alot of people tried that to begin with. Hopefully the EE that designed this have thought it thru with some minor fool proofing in mind.. Denon manual does not even say it is stereo or mono, but the general consensus seems to be they switched it to stereo.

I think the protocol may be different here, I believe I had read some of the receiver that it has a RS232 protocol on this jack .

Oh well, I guess taping the emitter is the way for Denon.

Here is some remotely relevant that I found about these jacks and RS232

https://kfigiela.github.io/2014/06/1...ote-connector/

Last edited by PoorSignal; 08-23-2018 at 06:17 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2972 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal View Post
Old post, but I was wondering if you ever got this to work?
There are 2 jacks, and the hack you posted uses the wrong one, apparently.

Neurorad eventually got his working. So I think this is more along the lines of what you're trying to do:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-ho...l#post47611369

FWIW, I now use TheHomeRemote app to control my whole system via IP, including my Denon. Has tons of feedback including volume of course, cover art, playlists, source lists, you name it. Also works with Harmony Hub. Drawback is it's on a phone/tablet.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 41
That's strange.. I used a 3.5mm to RCA, then used alligator clips and did my "break out" that way. I used a meter to check between the mono to stereo conversion. I was not able to get it to work given the information I have found, which the sleeve is definitely ground.

I guess the signal from MY repeater block is not compatible with the denon somehow, or the stereo
jack plug I have is not the right length for the jack.

The tip is definitely signal and sleeve is ground from the emitter block.
I have measured it the polarity when it powers the emitters.

I know.. Apps are great now. But I don't have networking hooked up and just prefer simplicity of remote control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page