Pioneer iControlAV versions - which one? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-04-2016, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Pioneer iControlAV versions - which one?

I'm going through my list of iPad/iPhone apps and realized I have several iControlAV items.

iControlAV2 (1.2.0)
iControlAV2 for iPad (1.2.0)
iControlAV5 (4.1.0)
iControlAV2012 (1.2.0)
iControlAV2013 (1.2.0)

I don't think I need all of these. Not sure why Pioneer has to create different programs with the same function rather than simply update the old version.

Can/should I toss any of these? Any reason to keep all, or more than one of them? Any idea which is the latest/current version?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 View Post
I'm going through my list of iPad/iPhone apps and realized I have several iControlAV items.

iControlAV2 (1.2.0)
iControlAV2 for iPad (1.2.0)
iControlAV5 (4.1.0)
iControlAV2012 (1.2.0)
iControlAV2013 (1.2.0)

I don't think I need all of these. Not sure why Pioneer has to create different programs with the same function rather than simply update the old version.

Can/should I toss any of these? Any reason to keep all, or more than one of them? Any idea which is the latest/current version?
The description in the app store should indicate which AVR's work with the particular apps. The most popular one is iControlAV5.

post #3 of 3 Old 04-04-2016, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post
The description in the app store should indicate which AVR's work with the particular apps. The most popular one is iControlAV5.
Thanks for the suggestion. For some reason, I didn't think to look at that. A google search turned up nothing. You need to hit the "more" button on the app store to see the description information which includes the compatibility list (and one older version of the software doesn't list models).

I went through each listing in the app store. There are apparently other iControlAV apps from Pioneer that I don't have. Pretty crazy having to develop and support all those variations of the same app to work with different model year receivers.

Seems like iControlAV5 is the most recent incarnation. From the US VSX models I looked at, AV5 is listed to work with some or most models from the earlier AV2, 2012 and 2013 apps, plus some additional models.

I have two receivers (at another location) which I will have to check for compatibility. I know the newer of the two works with AV5. Hopefully the older one also does so I can get rid of the extra apps. Can't remember which I have used in the past as I tend to open the first one of the four that I see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page