One remote for all TV's in office - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-27-2016, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
One remote for all TV's in office

Hello all,

We have quite a few TV's around the office that simply show sales stats, company announcements, etc.

I was curious if it was possibly to turn them all off and on with just 1 remote.
OR
if it were possible to add timers to the outlets that would just turn them off at night and back on in the morning.

Yes, I know we're being lazy so as mentioned earlier this more of just a curiosity.

The way I understand it is most universal remotes work with multiple components but not multiple TV's, although I might be wrong. Also, the only searches for this topic result in multiple pages of the discontinued TV-B-Gone which isn't much help. :-)

Thanks!
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-28-2016, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
A $4 Comcast remote plus JP1 cable from ebay can control an unlimited number of TVs and do a macro that does it all with one button press (for each group within line of sight). A cheap learning universal that can do macros would also work. I'd need the make/model for each TV to give you more details.

Cutting/restoring power likely won't actually turn them back on. To verify this, turn one on, unplug and plug back in. It will probably stay off.

Question is are you the type who wouldn't mind learning how to program a cheap remote like I posted, or would you rather just hire someone else to do it or spend more money for a remote that's easier to program yourself?

Going the more expensive remote route, I'd need to know the total number of distinct brands of TVs you have if you want full control of them. For just power control, any low-end learning remote would work.

Last edited by mdavej; 04-28-2016 at 08:55 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-28-2016, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the response.

I would do it myself. Before you replied I was thinking I could tell the employees near each tv that it would be the responsibility of the last person to leave to turn off the TV. But I don't like relying on employees. :-)

I would do it myself. I've configured a Raspberry Pi on each TV so that when the TV is turned on the Pi connects to a server in the back to show the sales stats on the screen. Ideally it would have been nice to have an on-off timer for start day and end day, but like you said TV's don't really have a physical "on" button anymore. I originally thought to have the last employee to leave for the day to shut off the TV's but I don't trust them to do that. So maybe just have an outlet timer set to shutoff at a time and then just have the TV's turned on in the morning.

I looked up some JP1 guides and it looks like it allows you to program a remote via the PC. I'm guessing that $4 comcast remote you mention has a JP1 port. So I would just need to gather all the makes and models of all the TV's so a specific button on the remote just runs down a list of all the IR codes to power off/on the TV's in line of sight?

Is there a different signal for power on then for power off? I'm just envisioning an example where I hit power and 3 of the 4 tvs turn on so I hit it again and the 4th comes on but the other 3 go off. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-28-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosterman View Post
...So I would just need to gather all the makes and models of all the TV's so a specific button on the remote just runs down a list of all the IR codes to power off/on the TV's in line of sight?
Pretty much. The number of different makes will tell us how many distinct codes will be needed. Most models within a brand respond to the same codes.

Quote:
Is there a different signal for power on then for power off? I'm just envisioning an example where I hit power and 3 of the 4 tvs turn on so I hit it again and the 4th comes on but the other 3 go off. :-)
Depends on the brand. Some have discrete on and off commands available (Sony, Vizio, Toshiba, for example). Otherwise, we can do a little extra programming so it tracks what's been turned on or off and account for it so you avoid unwanted toggles.

Here's a typical remote and cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMCAST-Univ...-/231865003908
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-to-T...-/261101529602
(get one labelled Comcast, not Xfinity)

The OARUSB04G is nicer and already includes a cable. It's $10-$20 most places, so could be less than the above and less complicated to plug in and set up:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Harmony is also an option, if you prefer something like that. But it would be more expensive and couldn't track power toggles for any more than 8 TV brands. The remotes I post could track an essentially unlimited number of brands.

Also keep in mind that the nicer the remote, the more likely it is to mysteriously disappear from the office.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Hello again.

Sorry to revive such an old thread. After my original post, we had solved the problem by simply having the team leads turn the TV's on and off. But then over time, people just become less likely to do it and so now the boss wants a universal remote solution. So here I am again. :-)

Per your suggestion, I picked up the One for All remote. It's easy enough to set TV power for one brand, but I can't seem to figure out how to set it to turn off ALL the different brands in the office. I was under the impression that it would be able to do that. If yes, could you tell me how or direct me to the proper software? Thank you.

Here are our TV's.
Vizio E55-C2
Vizio E55-C1
Vizio M551D-A2
LG 55LS4500-UD
Sharp LC-55LE653U
Seiki SE48FY19
post #6 of 13 Old 07-21-2017, 01:57 PM

Which remote did you get? If not the OARUSB04G, did you also get a cable?
post #7 of 13 Old 07-24-2017, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I got the OARUSB04, I should have clarified that!
post #8 of 13 Old 07-24-2017, 10:53 AM

Download and install Remote Master. I will send you a file to load that will turn all TVs on and off at once. It might be a few days before I get around to it.

This Youtube video will help you understand how to do it yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8dQSNFiFFj-DNg

Essentially, what I will do is add a TV device for each brand and make an all on macro with a discrete on command for each TV brand (all within a brand use the same code) and a similar all off macro. To do this yourself, you have to learn how to use Remote Master.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-26-2017, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

I downloaded Remote Master, imported the settings file and took a look. A lot of it looks pretty complicated but not too bad. I haven't had a chance to watch all the videos yet.

However, what I did do was under General, I changed all the Device buttons to type "TV" and then put the codes in for the 4 different TV brands. It works, but now it's having to remember which device is which TV brand! :-) Plus sometimes it takes a couple clicks to get it to respond.

I'll keep playing around with it and am excited to see what you send me. It sounds like the Macro method might be a bit easier. I did play around in the Macro area a bit but need some more time with it. As I'm responding now I created a Macro for the Red button that does
"TV, Power, STB, Power, DVD, Power, Audio, Power"
Hoping that it would cycle through every brand and hitting the power button. I'll upload it and test it later. :-)

Again, thank you for the help and for giving your time to this.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-26-2017, 08:22 AM

Sorry I'm so slow getting to this. Glad you figured it out mostly. You're definitely on the right track.

The change I would make is use discrete ONs and OFFs in two different macros instead of power toggles. But that's a little more involved. This is still on my radar, but may not get to it until tomorrow. If you can attach your RMIR file, I can use that as a starting point.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-31-2017, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

The forum won't let me upload bin or rmir so I put them both in Google drive here. I've been using the bin file as I wasn't aware of the rmir but I'm sure it probably doesn't matter.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...Thlam1kcmhId28

I made a legend label for the back of the remote just in case the macro becomes a bit to sluggish to use as I notice it is a bit slow to cycle through all the codes. Anyway, it works well enough and I have handed it over to the president to use. :-) If you do end up making the modifications I'll upload those in there.

Doing research on this I have found out that most Samsung smart TV's support a dedicated "ON" timer in addition to the standard "OFF" timer. Are there other TV brands that support this? In the past we usually just picked up whatever off-brand was inexpensive until we started going with Vizio's from Sam's Club. But Samsung is a good name so we'll just go with those moving forward. :-)
post #12 of 13 Old 07-31-2017, 02:17 PM

I'll take a look.

Most quality brands have discrete on and off (Vizio, LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic). Low end ones often don't. I'll have to check on Seiki and Sharp.

Macro is only sending 4 commands, so should finish in about 1 second.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-31-2017, 07:49 PM

Done. I found discretes for all except Seiki. Moved your toggle macro to Blue, made a All On macro on Green and All Off on Red. With discretes, Green will only turn off no matter how many times you press it, and Red only turns on. The exception is Seiki. It will toggle on or off with every press of Red, Green or Blue.
Attached Files
File Type: zip settings_discretes.zip (6.3 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page