Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control, Hub and App - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 55 Old 12-12-2016, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control, Hub and App

If I purchased the Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control, Hub and App, will it allow me to control all of my devices that are in a closet in a different room? Does it control via IR, RF, WiFi or all of them? I want to make sure I don't have to run an IR mini-blaster to my home theater room so the remote control can see.

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I've searched and some thread seems to say yes but also mentioned running IR min-blaster extension which confuses me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 12-12-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Put the hub near what you want to control. Run mini-blasters to whatever isn't line of sight with the hub or remote. The remote itself also shoots IR (if you tell it to), which covers the TV (or projector) in front of you.

Whether IR, RF (bluetooth) or wifi is used depends on the device.
Robmidi likes this.
post #3 of 55 Old 12-12-2016, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

My main question is, will the remote control work if I put the hub inside the AV rack in a different room/closet? If the answer is no UNLESS I run the mini-blaster so that it is in line of sight then, what about the RF? Isn't the RF supposed to eliminate the use of running a long extended min-blaster? If I have to run the mini-blaster, how long of an extended cable/wire will it work until it starts to degrade?
Robmidi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 12-12-2016, 08:05 PM

That's the reason RF remotes exist, to control things that aren't line of sight. You're describing an IR repeater, a completely different animal. Blasters blast IR, they don't receive it.
post #5 of 55 Old 12-13-2016, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
That's the reason RF remotes exist, to control things that aren't line of sight.
So, will this model work with devices that are not in line of sight without adding any additional equipment?
post #6 of 55 Old 12-13-2016, 07:22 AM

Line of sight with what? All your equipment is in one closet (except your TV/projector, I assume), correct? Anything else that is not line of sight with a hub or blaster or remote or cannot be controlled by wifi or bluetooth from the hub cannot be controlled without additional equipment. If the hub, included blasters or remote itself cannot reach all of your devices via IR (line of sight) or bluetooth or wifi (not line of sight), then you will need to buy additional equipment.

Let me try to explain one more time, and you asses your situation and see if it fits.

Remote sends commands to the hub via RF. RF can past through walls, floors, ceilings and furniture, so no line of sight between remote and hub is required. Remote can also send its own IR to devices within its line of sight (the TV in front of you, for example). 99.9% of all RF remotes work this way, not just the Elite. This is essentially the definition of an RF remote.

Hub and blasters blast IR in all directions. Any IR device within line of sight with either of those will be controlled. Devices can usually work off the reflections within an enclosure as well. So setting the hub on one shelf will likely reach devices on other shelves by reflections.

Hub also relays certain commands to certain devices via wifi and/or bluetooth. Those devices, if listed on Harmony's support site as being compatible, will be controlled even if they are not line of sight with the hub. Playstation 4 is an example of one such device.
Robmidi likes this.
post #7 of 55 Old 12-13-2016, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the explanation. I think I understand what you're saying now. And yes, my TV/projector is the only device that is not in the closet with all the other AVR devices.
post #8 of 55 Old 12-13-2016, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Let me try to explain one more time, and you asses your situation and see if it fits.

Remote sends commands to the hub via RF. RF can past through walls, floors, ceilings and furniture, so no line of sight between remote and hub is required. Remote can also send its own IR to devices within its line of sight (the TV in front of you, for example). 99.9% of all RF remotes work this way, not just the Elite. This is essentially the definition of an RF remote.
FYI the basic RF remote that comes with the Logitech - Harmony Smart Control does not (cannot) send IR unfortunately. It sends RF to the hub and the hub blasts IR from the hub and the wired blasters that are connected to the hub. This caused a little problem with my setup because I placed the hub in my cabinet and the IR blast did not reach my TV. I had to use the wired blaster to put it in front of my TV to get it to work. I'm not positive but I don't think any of the Harmony remotes that work with the hub transmit IR. In the Logitech software/app there is no way to have the hub NOT send IR so if the remote sent IR also it could cause a problem.

Jay
post #9 of 55 Old 12-13-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerndl View Post
FYI the basic RF remote that comes with the Logitech - Harmony Smart Control does not (cannot) send IR unfortunately. It sends RF to the hub and the hub blasts IR from the hub and the wired blasters that are connected to the hub.
Yep, I'm well aware. The Smart Control is exactly what kept me from writing 100%
post #10 of 55 Old 12-13-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Charlie View Post
Thank you for the explanation. I think I understand what you're saying now. And yes, my TV/projector is the only device that is not in the closet with all the other AVR devices.
So you understand that your projector could be a potential problem if it is well behind you and there are no reflective surfaces for the forward facing IR from the remote. In that case, you would need to extend one blaster for it.
post #11 of 55 Old 12-13-2016, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So you understand that your projector could be a potential problem if it is well behind you and there are no reflective surfaces for the forward facing IR from the remote. In that case, you would need to extend one blaster for it.
Would any blaster work? What's the recommended blaster? As long as the blaster is in front of the project or that the project can see, it should be fine, correct?
post #12 of 55 Old 12-13-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Would any blaster work? What's the recommended blaster? As long as the blaster is in front of the project or that the project can see, it should be fine, correct?
I think any one would work, so long as you put the right plug on it. There's a recent thread about blaster options by Logitech themselves in this very forum. I don't know the details as I am not a Harmony user.

I would try it without a blaster to start. It might work fine.
post #13 of 55 Old 12-13-2016, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the all help.
post #14 of 55 Old 12-28-2016, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
If I purchased the Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control, Hub and App, will it allow me to control all of my devices that are in a closet in a different room? Does it control via IR, RF, WiFi or all of them? I want to make sure I don't have to run an IR mini-blaster to my home theater room so the remote control can see.

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I've searched and some thread seems to say yes but also mentioned running IR min-blaster extension which confuses me.
I have read all the replies. I'm in the same situation. I have the older Harmony One. Am I able to still use it it with just the hub connected to an IR Receiver? Or do I have to new Harmony Remote control? The only RF Device I'm controlling through the wall into the closet is Dishnet receiver. Everything else is IR or Wifi.
post #15 of 55 Old 01-09-2017, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, so in the my situation, I'll definitely purchase the Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control, Hub and App and I'm guessing the BAFX Products IR Repeater - Remote control extender Kit should resolve my projector issue, correct?
post #16 of 55 Old 01-11-2017, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Line of sight with what? All your equipment is in one closet (except your TV/projector, I assume), correct? Anything else that is not line of sight with a hub or blaster or remote or cannot be controlled by wifi or bluetooth from the hub cannot be controlled without additional equipment. If the hub, included blasters or remote itself cannot reach all of your devices via IR (line of sight) or bluetooth or wifi (not line of sight), then you will need to buy additional equipment.

Hub and blasters blast IR in all directions. Any IR device within line of sight with either of those will be controlled. Devices can usually work off the reflections within an enclosure as well. So setting the hub on one shelf will likely reach devices on other shelves by reflections.

Hub also relays certain commands to certain devices via wifi and/or bluetooth. Those devices, if listed on Harmony's support site as being compatible, will be controlled even if they are not line of sight with the hub. Playstation 4 is an example of one such device.
I just got done replacing my URC MX-850 with a Harmony Elite. I got my MX before URC took their software down off their site, so the first go round was through a home automation company. I've changed out my entire system twice in the last 7 years and didn't want to pay the $95 an hour to have some dude download a setup, so I learned and did it myself. Problem there was going head to head with the original remotes and the MX to program, as URC wasn't updating their database anymore unless you were an installer.

Today, I setup my whole system, consisting of a UN65KS9000, a UBD-K8500, a Directv HR45/500, a Denon 3312ci, a Wii U and a Lutron Grafik Eye lighting controller. The Harmony database is awesome and although it didn't have the Lutron in it, I merely shot the old remote at the hub and taught it the Lutron system. Everything works great and I couldn't be happier. The hub is inside the cabinet on the top shelf, a blaster is on the lower shelf and the other in front of the tv stand. Voilá!

In the brochure, it outlines that the RF will penetrate cabinets and walls, but to what extent, I don't know. I figure if my dual band router penetrates pretty much the whole house with 2.4ghz and 5ghz, the Harmony shouldn't have a problem.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Robmidi; 01-11-2017 at 07:56 PM.
post #17 of 55 Old 02-11-2017, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I know that I can use the iPad volume controls to change the volume instead of the app's volume keys, but I don't want to. Ever. So stop reminding me every day ,

Is there any way to switch off the app's tips (I've only ever seen this one ) so that I can stop this most annoying daily "useful tip"?
post #18 of 55 Old 04-13-2017, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Harmony Elite Remote IR Capability?

Can anyone definitively state whether or not the Elite (or any other Harmony with the hub) remote itself has IR capability? I am planning on installing all of my equipment in a remote closet. I am hoping to find a remote that will use RF to control the equipment, but can still control the projector in the theater with IR from the remote. Hoping not to have to run a IR repeater back from the closet to the PJ.
post #19 of 55 Old 04-13-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsharky View Post
Can anyone definitively state whether or not the Elite (or any other Harmony with the hub) remote itself has IR capability? I am planning on installing all of my equipment in a remote closet. I am hoping to find a remote that will use RF to control the equipment, but can still control the projector in the theater with IR from the remote. Hoping not to have to run a IR repeater back from the closet to the PJ.
Only the Smart Control (aka Smart Home) remote lacks IR. All others have it on the remote, 100% definitive.

However, I'm guessing your PJ is probably overhead and behind your seating area, so some sort of blaster somewhere closer to line of sight with the PJ will still probably be needed for the most reliable control.
post #20 of 55 Old 04-13-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Only the Smart Control (aka Smart Home) remote lacks IR. All others have it on the remote, 100% definitive.

However, I'm guessing your PJ is probably overhead and behind your seating area, so some sort of blaster somewhere closer to line of sight with the PJ will still probably be needed for the most reliable control.
Thanks. The signal is not typically strong enough to reflect off of the screen?
post #21 of 55 Old 04-13-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks. The signal is not typically strong enough to reflect off of the screen?
Sometimes. Distance and ambient light also factor in. IR is very similar to visible light. Imagine shinning a very small LED flash-light at your screen and partly illuminating your projector with the reflection.
post #22 of 55 Old 04-13-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Sometimes. Distance and ambient light also factor in. IR is very similar to visible light. Imagine shinning a very small LED flash-light at your screen and partly illuminating your projector with the reflection.
OK, so it sounds like I need to run a control wire of some type along with my HDMI cable, from the AV closet. Can I use some type of network or wired connection instead of a IR repeater? I guess I need to research the connection panel on the Epson 5040 and JVC 420 (the 2 PJ's that I am considering) to see what they allow for.
post #23 of 55 Old 04-14-2017, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 379
My equipment is inside a Middle Atlantic rack in another room, and the hub is placed in the rack. With the hub leaning up at the front (so the IR is blasted against the glass door), it could control all items in the rack as the IR is so strong, and initially I was using the IR from the remote to control my projector. This worked well (the remote's IR is also very strong) but doesn't work with Alexa integration (only the hub does) and so I also ran a 25' IR extension from the hub to the projector.

BTW if the hub slid flat some items in my rack no longer received IR, and because I only had blasters with at most 2 heads, I ended up lying the hub flat in the rack and connecting blaster output 1 to a cheap (on eBay) Xantech 10-way IR repeater block. My existing blasters from years ago, and the extension to the projector, then connect to that and in the Harmony device settings I switched all devices to mini blaster output 1 only. Rock solid control.
post #24 of 55 Old 04-14-2017, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
OK, so it sounds like I need to run a control wire of some type along with my HDMI cable, from the AV closet. Can I use some type of network or wired connection instead of a IR repeater? I guess I need to research the connection panel on the Epson 5040 and JVC 420 (the 2 PJ's that I am considering) to see what they allow for.
My Elite controls my projector when pointed at the screen just fine. Try it first before you go to the trouble of running an IR blaster up there.
post #25 of 55 Old 04-14-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
so I also ran a 25' IR extension from the hub to the projector.
What does that extension consist of? IR?, CAT5? A mini-headphone type plug?
Thanks
post #26 of 55 Old 04-14-2017, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What does that extension consist of? IR?, CAT5? A mini-headphone type plug?
It's just a 3.5mm extension cable, but what's unique about it is that it's in-wall (CL3) rated:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #27 of 55 Old 04-14-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
It's just a 3.5mm extension cable, but what's unique about it is that it's in-wall (CL3) rated:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I don't think either of the projectors that I am considering (Epson 5040 and JVC RS420) have a 3.5mm IR input jack. What projector are you running?
post #28 of 55 Old 04-15-2017, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't think either of the projectors that I am considering (Epson 5040 and JVC RS420) have a 3.5mm IR input jack. What projector are you running?
A JVC RS600, but it doesn't have an IR in either. I just plug in a standard 3.5mm mono IR blaster and then stick that on the projector's IR receiver - there's one on the back out of sight on the JVC.

BTW the Elite remote did work fine using just the IR on the remote - the IR is very strong - but the IR on the remote is not usable with Alexa/Echo integration. Only the IR on the hub / blaster outputs works with that.
post #29 of 55 Old 07-11-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
BTW if the hub slid flat some items in my rack no longer received IR, and because I only had blasters with at most 2 heads, I ended up lying the hub flat in the rack and connecting blaster output 1 to a cheap (on eBay) Xantech 10-way IR repeater block. My existing blasters from years ago, and the extension to the projector, then connect to that and in the Harmony device settings I switched all devices to mini blaster output 1 only. Rock solid control.
@dlinsley : I have this exact situation. Would the BAFX repeater also work in this application? I have used before, just not with a direct wire receiver input like you are apparently using.

https://smile.amazon.com/BAFX-Produc...repeater+block

Also, I know that the typical IR blaster/emitters use 3.5mm mono cables. I assume you used an adapter to get from the 2.5mm female jack on the Harmony hub to the 3.5mm standard.
post #30 of 55 Old 07-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have this exact situation. Would the BAFX repeater also work in this application? I have used before, just not with a direct wire receiver input like you are apparently using.

https://smile.amazon.com/BAFX-Produc...repeater+block
It would just be a case of whether the IR input accepts the higher level output from the direct connection to the hub or if it gets overloaded. You may be able to find the manual online, or a review, that helps. Edit: BAFX have answered this works! https://www.amazon.com/forum/-/Tx17X...sin=B009ZGK6QS

Quote:
Also, I know that the typical IR blaster/emitters use 3.5mm mono cables. I assume you used an adapter to get from the 2.5mm female jack on the Harmony hub to the 3.5mm standard.
I used the following, cable with the screw down connection on the Xantach - Vetco is a local electronics store close to work:
https://vetco.net/products/6-2-5mm-m...?taxon_id=1566

There's a thread in this subforum about creating an extension cable which says what Monoprice adapters work.

Last edited by dlinsley; 07-11-2017 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Link to BAFX answer on connection to Harmony Hub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page