Smartphone as complete home theater remote. (Best Options?) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By JT Babin
  • 1 Post By JT Babin
  • 1 Post By jjwinterberg
  • 1 Post By smoothtlk
  • 1 Post By wnl
  • 2 Post By smoothtlk

post #1 of 10 Old 05-10-2017, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Smartphone as complete home theater remote. (Best Options?)

Looking for any and all options or suggestions that makes it possible to use as a complete home theater remote control. Suggestions open regardless of whether the phone is Android or iPhone. Any information you can offer is greatly appreciated. The phone has not been purchased.It will be used by a quadriplegic (me) that has no use of hands but will operated buy a mouth stick.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BD Player
Roku Premium+ 4k / AppleTV 4K 4th Gen
Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver / Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-10-2017, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Are you looking to program it yourself or have an integrator do it?

I like the Elan g1. Professional programming only though. The OSD would be difficult to use, so I would just ignore that part. The app is really, really easy to use but depending on the level of customization that you're looking for it may or may not foot the bill.

http://myeasytek.com/2017/01/20/elan...em-controller/
Daryl L likes this.

James Babin - System designer myEasytek
Last Post: Low Voltage Wiring Guide
post #3 of 10 Old 05-10-2017, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@JT Babin

Thank you. I think that might be quite a bit more advanced than when I'm looking for. Currently I use a URC MX-450 which I've been using for a couple years. But when using this I'm not able to use a smart phone. It's getting to the point where I need a phone accessible incase of emergencies. I have plenty of experience programming remotes. For example the first and second generation pronto touchscreen remote that came out years ago. A couple Logitech remotes that I use to program with a piece of software from the forum (Beyond Logitech's website programming abilities). A URC TX-1000 Which lead me next to the MX-450. I've never been a fan of macros so never use them. And I only need to operate one zone.

I need to be able to operate at least 10 devices. I was thinking along the lines of some smart phone remote control app or else that I could set up to operate my equipment. I think my TV and my receiverI have an app that can be downloaded. Maybe looking for a phone that has either an IR blaster on it or one that doesn't and just use a wifi/bluetooth-to-IR adapter/device.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-10-2017, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 35
That's a lot of useful information. I've learned a lot about iRule from here, that might be a good bet for you, but I don't have any experience with it. Maybe someone will have a better idea!
Daryl L likes this.

James Babin - System designer myEasytek
Last Post: Low Voltage Wiring Guide
post #5 of 10 Old 05-10-2017, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I use iRule and can recommend it. I graduated to iRule from the Pronto remotes and if you have experience programming the Pronto then you will pick-up the iRule basics quickly.

iRule uses the handheld device's WiFi interface to communicate with gateway devices that convert the WiFi IP commands into a format that will be recognized by your devices. There are IR and serial gateway devices that integrate with iRule almost seamlessly. iRule is also able to directly interface (without the need for a gateway) to components that accept IP commands.

iRule has a pretty extensive library of commands for a large number of component devices and you use these commands very much like with the Pronto; you just drag and drop them onto buttons that you have laid-out on your remote screen.

iRule has macro command capabilities and the ability to receive and display feedback from your devices. iRule even integrates with a lot of home automation capabilities. I have it controlling my lighting and HVAC.

iRule can be used on both iOS and Android operating systems and you can configure it to use all different devices. I find my iPad is a very convenient size and I have a configuration optimized around that screen size but I also have a configuration optimized for my iPhone.

Hope this helps.
Daryl L likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-15-2017, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 84
myServer can integrate many devices together into one cohesive and customizable "app" interface.

Use either an Android or iOS phone or tablet (or both at the same time).

We just did an install in Michigan for a gal in a wheel chair that has limited arm mobility. Automated sliding doors (no Star Trek Whoosh sound wanted...), powered Somfy Blinds, TV control, whole house audio, security system, lighting, garage door, cameras etc...all from her tablet.

The fully customizable is key...make the buttons big for easy targeting. Only the controls you need on one page, etc.
Daryl L likes this.

Last edited by smoothtlk; 05-15-2017 at 12:49 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-15-2017, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thank you gentlemen. I'm researching every option suggested. And any other thing I run across. I want to make sure I understand every aspect impossibility of every option, so I'm taking my time. Again thank you for any and all suggestions. It's greatly appreciated.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #8 of 10 Old 05-15-2017, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@smoothtlk

Can't seem to find anything in a search about "myServer". That must be for professional install only.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #9 of 10 Old 05-15-2017, 05:59 PM
wnl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I use iRule for our home theater and can also recommend it. I have layouts for phone and tablet, and we now have an iPad Mini that permanently resides in the theater. I have found that phone screens tend to be a bit too small for what I want to do, but the tablet is a great size.

The biggest downside to using iRule is that all your devices must be IP aware. Serial-only devices and IR devices will need to be connected to something like a Global Cache so that they are accessible on the local network. The phone or tablet is only able to communicate with devices via IP/TCP across the local network.
Daryl L likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-15-2017, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
@smoothtlk

Can't seem to find anything in a search about "myServer". That must be for professional install only.
myServer:
http://allonis.com

We support DIY and pro installers.
We also do installations both remote and local in Michigan.

Whatever help you need!!
RandyWalters and Daryl L like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page