Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 464
NEEO Owner's Thread

NEEO

The Thinking Remote

"The revolutionary remote with hand recognition and insanely simple setup for your smart home. Control your TV, lighting, heating and more with NEEO."

60,000 Devices - NEEO is compatible with all major AV products from the last 10 years and works with all the cool new devices on the market.

3 Minutes - You don’t need to be a techie to setup NEEO. It’s built for everyone and tested by our kids, parents and grandparents!

1 Button - We believe technology should be simple. Once set up, NEEO gets all your gear ready with just one button press.

Compatibility

Evolution of My Theater Build

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 10-09-2017, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have owned and used many different handheld remotes over my lifetime. From the "old school" days to the newest Logitech Remotes. Logitech made a huge step up in the remote industry several years ago. So over the past decade I have used varying models of Logitech remotes including Harmony 650, Harmony 880, Harmony Ultimate, Harmony Elite with hub, just to name a few.

Logitech remotes were definitely a step up, but I have always felt they lacked a little. I had a lot of trouble with my last Harmony remote, the Harmony Elite with Hub. Logitech replaced the hub once and attempted repairs on the 2nd one. Unfortunately, I still had issues. I switched a simpler remote with the Harmony 650. While it was good, it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Around October 2015, I started looking for another remote option, which was not Logitech. After a lot of digging, I found several options, including a little Kickstarter Campaign named "NEEO". After reading all of the information, which was considerable, I decided to give it a go. Over the next 2 years, NEEO diligently put out updates. I was surprised to see how many things none of us ever consider, went into the design and build of a smart remote. Along the way, NEEO has won several different design awards and built a support community.

After two years of waiting, I finally received my NEEO! Attached are "unboxing" pictures taken. While work has prevented me from trying this out, I am very excited to do so and will post my impressions once I am able.

If you have ever opened an Apple product, that is a very close approximation to opening a NEEO. The package was very well protected and elegant. Opening the box, it feels very much like opening an Apple product, clean, sleek and simple. In fact, it had two little drawers in the package...just cool.

The remote itself has a large display at the top and feels great in my hand. The controls are easy to access without much movement. More to come upon actual usage.

Also included in the box is the brain (hub) and a very weighty charging base. It is the small round component. Be careful when you pick it up, it is deceivingly heavy! I almost dropped it.

Also in the box is a welcome from Raphael, the founder of NEEO, a wire braided cable with sensor, 2 of USB to 1/8" jack wire braided cables, Ethernet cable, 2 power adapters, a soft cloth, soft velcro cable ties with the NEEO label and two plastic attachments to help with cable management.

If you are a new NEEO owner, lucky enough to get this awesome little remote. I would love to read or view your impressions as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8389.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	810.7 KB
ID:	2294944   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8390.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	728.3 KB
ID:	2294946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8391.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	687.1 KB
ID:	2294948   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8394.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	446.6 KB
ID:	2294950   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8395.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	543.7 KB
ID:	2294952  

Name:	IMG_8397.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	586.3 KB
ID:	2294954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8400.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	500.8 KB
ID:	2294956   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8401.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	772.1 KB
ID:	2294958   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8403.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	744.4 KB
ID:	2294960   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8404.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	536.0 KB
ID:	2294962  

Name:	IMG_8406.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	753.4 KB
ID:	2294964  
khackshaw likes this.

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
post #3 of 55 Old 10-09-2017, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Reserved.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 10-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I too have a NEEO remote. Previously I have been using a Phillips Pronto TSU1000, a 17 year old universal remote that has served me well.

I ordered mine as a Kickstarter pledge in early 2015 and received it a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't cheap. Knowing I had the NEEO on order I continued to use the Pronto. Was it worth the wait? I believe so.

The NEEO comes in two basic parts: The Brain (Contains the IR transmitters) and the Remote (Communicates with "The Brain" but doesn't contain a IR transmitter). Its taken a little bit of time to remember that I no longer need to aim the remote as it has no IR transmitter, they're in the Brain.The Remote is thin but has a quality feel to it. The Screen Display is sharp.

You use a phone app. iOS and Android have the NEEO app available. You use the app to setup and program the Brain. I use Android on an inexpensive Moto E phone to do my setup and programming.

Setup: Having visited planet neeo discussion forums https://planet.neeo.com/category/discussions I had a basic idea of how to get started. I followed the steps a user on the forum had outlined and got "The Brain" attached to my WiFi. I updated the Brain's firmware and paired the Remote. I updated the Remote's firmware. Didn't take too long, maybe 30 minutes.

Programming: First step after setup is to install a device. It typically should be your main display. I have a new Sony TV. I typed in the brand and model when prompted and it found and added the device (Device info is stored on in the Cloud). The NEEO Brain automatically generated a Recipe for the TV, but more on that later. Next I added my receiver and a Recipe was created for the receiver. I believe at that time the NEEO asked me what Input the TV used for the Receiver. Next I added my OTA DVR. It found the device in their database and created a Recipe.

Devices, when added, are grouped by location, ie. Living Room, Kitchen.

When I viewed "Living Room " on the NEEO app home page I noticed that the Cable Box (DVR) icon had an exclamation point. I selected it and NEEO app then prompted me through the "Cable Salad" as to how the DVR was connect to my system. The Recipe for the DVR was then automatically modified to go through the steps (like a macro) of powering on the TV, choosing the TV 's correct input, powering up the receiver and choosing its correct input and mapping the NEEO's hardkeys for use when watching the DVR. So far so good. I added a Blu-ray player in a similar fashion without issue.

The first issue I had was when using the DVR I could bring up the OTA Guide but not the DVR's settings Menu. It was operator error on my part as the Menu key has different functions depending on how long you press the Menu key. When pressed longer it brings up the DVR's settings menu.

Another issue was in setting up the Favorites screen for the DVR. The Channel decimal wasn't working so I couldn't program sub channels. I could put in 2 but couldn't put in 2.1. Also some of the channels I watch didn't have icons. All were resolved by posting my issues on the forum. NEEO corrected the decimal point and added the missing icons to their icon database. NEEO support has been very responsive.

I have a Xantech 680-10 power strip that you can control the individual outlets by IR. I had originally planned to use the IR learning function but unfortunately that feature has not been activated by NEEO. They control/maintain all the IR codes. I put in a request that the Xantech 680-10 be added to their system and it was added in less than a week. I was then able to modify/edit recipes to turn on/off vent vans associated with specific devices.

In a device's screens there is a Shortcuts screen. On this screen you can add commands to other devices or add a command from that device which didn't get a screen button or hardkey assignment. I have used this feature on the Blu-ray player that plays through my Receiver. The Zoom function is controlled by my Receiver and not the Zoom function of the Blu-ray player. So I created shortcuts on the Blu-ray player's Shortcut screen to operate the receivers Zoom function. Another shortcut on the Blu-ray player's shortcut screen allows me to turn on/off a curio cabinet light.

I've attached pictures including the Favorites screen associated with my DVR.

Again the NEEO support team has been very responsive. An example was that someone mentioned that Oppo Blu-ray players have multiple sets of IR codes you can use when you have more than one player. I have two, my older Oppo blu-ray BDP-83 and a new 4K UHD Oppo 203 player. NEEO was asked to have these alternate codes added. NEEO had them added within 3 business days.

Some people have complained about the display being too bright. Currently you can not adjust brightness but NEEO has a page for voting for new features. Screen Brightness adjust is one item. I don't have an issue with screen brightness as I always have some light in the room anyway.

Overall I'm pleased with my purchase.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1375.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	2295880   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1376.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	2295882  
Aareses likes this.

Sony XBR55A1E

Last edited by pkeegan; 10-10-2017 at 03:39 PM.
post #5 of 55 Old 10-13-2017, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1408 Post(s)
Liked: 889
I've got the NEEO as well. I'll need to give it some more time before verdict is in. One "con" I see right away is the lack of the end user to tweak anything, With my URC, I can adjust icons, delays....pretty much anything I want.

Case in point - the NEEO doesnt control the Tivo as fast as either the OEM remote or my URX-mx 880. With the latter, I was able to adjust the repeats and delays until it became pretty close to an OEM. With the Neeo, I email customer support, wait for them to make a change, upload to the remote, try it out, and then email them again.
Aareses likes this.

Selling in AVS classifieds
FS: McIntosh MX-160 Processor
post #6 of 55 Old 10-14-2017, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Edited as I found my answer...

(Theater)Speakers: Martin Logan Expression 13A, Stage X, Dual Depth I Subs, Vanquish in ceiling (surrounds) | Processor: Marantz 8805 | Amp: Three Moon Simaudio 400m monoblocks,One Moon Simaudio 330a, PS Audio Directstream | Sources: DirecTV HR17, Mac Mini, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Panny UB820| Television: Samsung 75Q9FN | Remote: Logitech Harmony Elite
(Loft) Anthem MRX 520, LG 77G6P, Oppo UDP-203, Martin Logan Montis, Harmony Elite.

Last edited by liltalkm; 10-14-2017 at 07:59 AM.
post #7 of 55 Old 10-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 210
New brain and remotes update for Sonos and Spotify plus other features are being made available. See Blog on planet.neeo.com .

Sony XBR55A1E
post #8 of 55 Old 10-28-2017, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Happy with my NEEO. Have been able to relegate my Harmony One to the bedroom. IR learning and the ability to customize screens, icons, delays, etc. will come shortly via firmware updates.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Neeo Remote.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	2306878  

Marantz SR6012
Emotiva XPA3 Gen3
Oppo UDP 203
Panasonic TC-P50GT30 Plasma
B&W CM9 S2 Fronts, CC6 Center, WP1 Sides & Rears, ASW 3000 Sub
post #9 of 55 Old 11-12-2017, 05:26 AM

Another firmware update was released on 11/10, Solved some Sonos issues and added support for PS4 and LifX light bulbs.
Aareses likes this.

Marantz SR6012
Emotiva XPA3 Gen3
Oppo UDP 203
post #10 of 55 Old 11-23-2017, 07:44 PM

This is an accurate review on the current state of NEEO.https://www.cepro.com/article/integr...control_review

Marantz SR6012
Emotiva XPA3 Gen3
Oppo UDP 203
post #11 of 55 Old 11-28-2017, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Thanks for that article, I was really interested in neeo but I am very baffled a new state of the art remote is just going back to the same old IR route that has been around forever.

I dont think i could live with going back to simple IR control of my denon avr, and having tons of emitters or flashers in hard to reach places. It does look tempting but I do wish they would focus more on ip for common products.
codyjenkins likes this.
post #12 of 55 Old 12-03-2017, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So the big question....should I buy this remote to replace my Harmony Elite?
post #13 of 55 Old 12-05-2017, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnupe View Post
I just got it .While it looks fancy I really do not believe it is worth $379.It touts itself as remote that can do everything but their database is no where near Harmony.Harmony basically does the same things for less money.Not impressed.

Equipment list:Anthem Statement dv2 3D,Anthem avm 60,JVC RS 520,Martin Logan SL speakers,Bryston amps for lcr and surrounds,Anthem four channel amp for in ceilings,IS 110" screen,Lutron for lights,Oppo 203 DVD,SimpleControl remote.HSU-15 sub.
post #14 of 55 Old 12-06-2017, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by shah993 View Post
I just got it .While it looks fancy I really do not believe it is worth $379.It touts itself as remote that can do everything but their database is no where near Harmony.Harmony basically does the same things for less money.Not impressed.
Were you able to control your IR devices with the DB that they currently have?
post #15 of 55 Old 12-06-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
Were you able to control your IR devices with the DB that they currently have?
No my JVC RS 520 is not in the database.I mean come on it is not an unusal device.There is hardly any ip control and no learning ability.Very disappointed.

Equipment list:Anthem Statement dv2 3D,Anthem avm 60,JVC RS 520,Martin Logan SL speakers,Bryston amps for lcr and surrounds,Anthem four channel amp for in ceilings,IS 110" screen,Lutron for lights,Oppo 203 DVD,SimpleControl remote.HSU-15 sub.
post #16 of 55 Old 12-06-2017, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I would send Neeo a support request. Provide them the make / model.
It would be unusual to me that they have a huge database as it takes years to accumulate the content.
post #17 of 55 Old 12-07-2017, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
No my JVC RS 520 is not in the database.I mean come on it is not an unusal device.There is hardly any ip control and no learning ability.Very disappointed.
When I received my Neeo, one of my devices wasn't yet in their database. I sent a device request through their Planet Neeo site, and they had the device in the database within three days.

It's also possible that your projector will work correctly just using one of the many other JVC projectors that is already in the database. (Manufacturers often have many models that use the exact same IR commands.) This is quite easy to test using the Neeo app.

The Neeo staff say that IR learning is coming soon. Support for it is already in the hardware. I'm not holding my breath waiting for it, but so far, I haven't needed it.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the Neeo, but it does do everything I need it to do, albeit not necessarily in the most polished way. I'm reserving judgment until after the next major software release, which is supposed to revamp the user interface capabilities.
post #18 of 55 Old 12-07-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnupe View Post
If you currently are just looking to control IR home theater gear that all has discrete on/off commands I would not hesitate. I have been able to replace my Harmony One without issues. If you need IP/Bluetooth/Home Automation at this time, you will need to wait for that to be fully supported.

Marantz SR6012
Emotiva XPA3 Gen3
Oppo UDP 203

Last edited by codyjenkins; 12-07-2017 at 07:16 AM.
post #19 of 55 Old 12-07-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Neeo support does seem to add devices/fix IR commands within 1-2 days when notified on Planet Neeo. Searching for your device in the forum, it seems you, nor anyone else, has submitted a request for support for the projector. IR learning will be coming shortly and additional IP control is definitely going to be available in the future.
AV8TER likes this.

Marantz SR6012
Emotiva XPA3 Gen3
Oppo UDP 203

Last edited by codyjenkins; 12-07-2017 at 06:10 AM.
post #20 of 55 Old 12-07-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyjenkins View Post
Neeo support does seem to add devices/fix IR commands within 1-2 days when notified on Planet Neeo. Searching for your device in the forum, it seems you, nor anyone else, has submitted a request for support for the projector. IR learning will be coming shortly and additional IP control is definitely going to be available in the future.
I thought I did but will submit again.I would like this company to succeed and that is the reason I bought it.Having said that at least the common devices should have been researched.I will continue to support them all the same.

post #21 of 55 Old 12-07-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I thought I did but will submit again.I would like this company to succeed and that is the reason I bought it.Having said that at least the common devices should have been researched.I will continue to support them all the same.
Maybe you did. I just tried searching the make and model in the search box on planet neeo.

Marantz SR6012
Emotiva XPA3 Gen3
Oppo UDP 203
post #22 of 55 Old 12-07-2017, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I was one of the early kickstarter buyers. Over time as delivery dates were teased I I saw the harmony getting better and not as expensive. Once the opportunity to cancel came I took it and got my money back. I do hope those of you that got one are finding it worth the wait.
post #23 of 55 Old 03-14-2018, 06:32 PM

Fire TV support has been added as a part of the latest firmware upgrade.

https://planet.neeo.com/t/k9p4qr/rel...-release-04831
Aareses likes this.

Marantz SR6012
Emotiva XPA3 Gen3
Oppo UDP 203
post #24 of 55 Old 05-05-2018, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Any updated impressions on this remote vs. Harmony? I hate the Harmony app, so I'm looking for <$400 alternatives.
post #25 of 55 Old 05-08-2018, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Mine is on order, hoping to have it by next week at which time I'll post a review and walkthrough with my system. Granted, I have far from the most complex system out there, but with a dearth of user reviews out there, hopefully my thoughts will help.
nissand likes this.

Sony XBR75940E/ Marantz SR7012/Apple TV 4k/PS4 Pro/PC RTX 2080Ti (SLI)/Harmony Ultimate
post #26 of 55 Old 05-12-2018, 08:09 AM

I have owned Harmonies for the last 15 years, and NEEO has easily replaced a Harmony One. I found it very easy, but different to set up. The logic is quite different as recipes (activities) are based on devices, not what you want to do. Some previous Harmony owners are unhappy that the software is not a Harmony clone. Build quality is incredible. Bluetooth is not currently supported, but I never had it so I don't miss it. HDMI-CEC control is supported and TCP-IP is possible now if you can code. Hue lights can be controlled, but scenes and changing colors are net yet supported. IR learning is still not released. Nest support is still missing. Software updates (approximately every 6-8 weeks) continue to improve the overall user experience. Currently, this is a very well built IR remote with tremendous upside.

Release notes for the last update:

https://planet.neeo.com/t/h4j15s/rel...elease-0-49-10
nissand likes this.

Marantz SR6012
Emotiva XPA3 Gen3
Oppo UDP 203
post #27 of 55 Old 05-14-2018, 07:11 AM

So I got my Neeo yesterday and started running it through its paces-My initial thoughts based on 1st day use (Detailed review to come):

*Hardware is solid-Great build quality, the only caveat for me being the omission of back lighting in a $400 remote. Unexcusable
*Software is also easy to use (I would say much more so than Harmony) once I understood the "recipe" concept and how the software wants you to think

I was almost ready to start using the Neeo as my daily until I tried to integrate my Nvidia Shield TV. Nvidia cheaped out with their lower-end 16GB model and left out IR, which means you have to use bluetooth, which is not a problem for my Harmony Elite. For Neeo though, that functionality, while baked in has yet to be turned on, so the primary part of my HT is un-controllable by my new remote. Again, for something that runs close to $400 to not have this functionality turned on yet is again unexcusable.

I'm going to run it in my study for the time being and give Neeo some time to get the bluetooth running otherwise it's getting sold, which is sad, because it's overall a great device otherwise.

Sony XBR75940E/ Marantz SR7012/Apple TV 4k/PS4 Pro/PC RTX 2080Ti (SLI)/Harmony Ultimate
post #28 of 55 Old 05-15-2018, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3116 Post(s)
Liked: 1419
Can you not plug an FLIRC IR dongle into the Shield?
http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/top...on-pro-and-ir/

In addition to no backlight, I'd vote for no IR learning to be the most unexcusable omission. Great concept and hardware, but a basic universal remote feature like that is hard to do without, especially on a remote with a code database significantly smaller than the competition.
post #29 of 55 Old 05-16-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Can you not plug an FLIRC IR dongle into the Shield?
http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/top...on-pro-and-ir/

In addition to no backlight, I'd vote for no IR learning to be the most unexcusable omission. Great concept and hardware, but a basic universal remote feature like that is hard to do without, especially on a remote with a code database significantly smaller than the competition.
Funny you mention that as I have one on order, hoping to have it by the weekend. At that time I'll give it a spin as my daily driver and see if its worth keeping. As it is, I paid significantly less for mine which is the only reason I'm even going through these hoops. Had I paid full retail, this would have been boxed up and headed back to Neeo same day.

I see the potential and great upside for this device, but on the flip side, I'm a bit worried that I'll be the proud owner of a $200 paperweight in a few years...

post #30 of 55 Old 05-17-2018, 10:55 AM

FLIRC dongle should be here Saturday, so in the meantime using the remote with the Blu-Ray player and thus far, it works really well. The true test of course is using it with the Nvidia TV box with Flirc. Fingers crossed!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page