Calling all DemoPad Users - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #361 of 733 Old 10-28-2018, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg7321 View Post
You want the app called Centro Control. There is an old one called DemoPad but I don't believe you can do any purchases. What you need to do next is go to the website and create a n account with them. You can choose to create a subscription or a free account. You do get some features and faster and better email support with a paid subscription. Either way the app is fully unlocked. Once done, down load the builder software and the extra graphics packs that are free. This is where you start the designing and programming. Again search YouTube for there videos on using the builder.

Hope this gets you going.

FYI
This is not a fast setup. It takes time to get every thing the way you like it.
Mike
Thanks Mike. Looking at the Apple store - I bought the DemoControlHD software (Arrrrgggghhhh) at $40.00 - The CentroControl software won't let me get it as it says that its not compatible with this iPad. I have an iPad mini and thought I read somewhere that it was compatible as long as it was iOS 8.0 or higher. The forum does not get into this level of detail on requirements. Even in their documentation I've only been able to find references only of iPad/iPhone/Android but not specific to models, just very high level. Not complaining just not sure where to look.

Got all the tutorials and walking through a generic Demo setup just to see how it works and that's where it required me to do F5 and download to the iPad. So is the iPad mini not compatible ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 733 Old 10-28-2018, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marper8521 View Post
Thanks Mike. Looking at the Apple store - I bought the DemoControlHD software (Arrrrgggghhhh) at $40.00 - The CentroControl software won't let me get it as it says that its not compatible with this iPad. I have an iPad mini and thought I read somewhere that it was compatible as long as it was iOS 8.0 or higher. The forum does not get into this level of detail on requirements. Even in their documentation I've only been able to find references only of iPad/iPhone/Android but not specific to models, just very high level. Not complaining just not sure where to look.

Got all the tutorials and walking through a generic Demo setup just to see how it works and that's where it required me to do F5 and download to the iPad. So is the iPad mini not compatible ?
Doesn't Apple allow you to return an app with in a time period? If not contact support, they have been helpful. Hopefully they can answer the compatible question too. They are in England so they are 7 hours ahead of us but they get back even on weekends
post #363 of 733 Old 10-29-2018, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 32
To break it down in simple terms, the Demopad control solution is two parts.

1. The Centro control app. This is the app that you download from the iTunes store onto your i Device. This app is what your main controller will be. It will include your GUI.

2. The Demopad Designer software. This is the program that you download from Demopad's website onto you PC. This is the program that you will use to create your design. It allows you to completely customize you GUI. It's also where you add your devices to be controlled, add commands and create feedbacks.

Once your design is complete, including all graphics, commands and devices, you need to send it to the Centro Control app on you i device. The f5 key on you PC is the "publish to app" function. Read the info in the pop up box. Make sure the ip address and the project name are entered in the project setup tab in the app before you download.

Demopad support is truly fantastic and quick, but be aware, their answers will be in "developer" speak, so be prepared for that.

Also, this forum is a great place to get help.

Good luck!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 733 Old 10-29-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3102 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Don't mean to derail the thread, but theHomeRemote has similar capabilities to DemoPad and runs fine on Android, iOS and Windows mobile and is quite a bit cheaper. I think the learning curve is quite a bit steeper and the effort to configure is greater, but it works fine in the end. It took me a solid 16 hours labor to configure a 10 device system consisting of several IP devices, a few IR-only devices and some limited home automation. I had to buy an iTach wifi2IR to interface with my IR devices (~$100). In contrast, I configured the same system for my traditional RF/IR remote in about 4 hours since I didn't have to create every single command for every device from scratch like I did with Home Remote. May be worth considering if DemoPad doesn't work out for you.

Last edited by mdavej; 10-29-2018 at 12:37 PM.
post #365 of 733 Old 10-29-2018, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Don't mean to derail the thread, but theHomeRemote has similar capabilities to DemoPad and runs fine on Android, iOS and Windows mobile and is quite a bit cheaper. I think the learning curve is quite a bit steeper and the effort to configure is greater, but it works fine in the end. It took me a solid 16 hours labor to configure a 10 device system consisting of several IP devices, a few IR-only devices and some limited home automation. I had to buy an iTach wifi2IR to interface with my IR devices (~$100). In contrast, I configured the same system for my traditional RF/IR remote in about 4 hours since I didn't have to create every single command for every device from scratch like I did with Home Remote. May be worth considering if DemoPad doesn't work out for you.

I agree, if you are using Android go with HomeRemote. If IOS go with DemoPad. Both are solid remotes. Both are well documented on YouTube.
post #366 of 733 Old 10-30-2018, 07:03 PM

Thank you all, this helps a lot.
post #367 of 733 Old 10-30-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Thank you.
post #368 of 733 Old 11-04-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marper8521 View Post
Thank you.
I'm going to try and use HR and see how far I get. In the interim, I'm back to using one of the Harmony remotes I purchased a while back - Do any of you have recommendations for improving the IR performance ? All of my IR connectivity runs via Monoprice Blackbird 4X4 HDBaseT HDMI Matrix, thus the end points (Onkyo Receiver; Matrix, Roku) hidden in the central location are hit and miss when I perform an activity with the Harmony 665 remote. Any recommendations ?
post #369 of 733 Old 11-04-2018, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3102 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Someone in another thread just reported great success with a Next Generation RF battery system in a 665. That should solve your IR issues, assuming the Matrix works reliably.

HR should handle the Onkyo and Roku fine over IP. I assume the matrix is IR control only. In that case, you'll definitely need an iTach to go with the HR.

Is it possible some of your reliability issues are just due to timing? That kind of thing can be fixed pretty easily on Harmony.
post #370 of 733 Old 11-09-2018, 08:02 PM

Liked: 55
I have gotten my basic setup working in DemoPad. Here are the devices that I can now control.

Network Control:
DirecTV Client 4K Receiver
DirecTV HR21 Receiver
DirecTV HR54 Receiver
Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server
Kaleidescape M700 Movie Server
McIntosh MX160 Audio Processor
Sony VW5000 Projector

Serial Control:
Oppo DVP-203 UHD Player
Lumagen Radiance Pro Video Processor

IR:
Lutron Grafik Eye Lighting

I am coming from iRule and I have to say I like DemoPad more. The main things that are an advantage to me are:

1) I can scale all of the buttons and graphics to what ever size (and shape) that I want.
2) I can actually LABEL buttons.

It was really straight forward in getting this going but did have a little bit of a learning curve.

Now I am moving on to feedback! We will see if I have problems with this or not. I am sure I may have questions for the forum on somethings.

John
post #371 of 733 Old 11-09-2018, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjjen View Post
I have gotten my basic setup working in DemoPad. Here are the devices that I can now control.

Network Control:
DirecTV Client 4K Receiver
DirecTV HR21 Receiver
DirecTV HR54 Receiver
Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server
Kaleidescape M700 Movie Server
McIntosh MX160 Audio Processor
Sony VW5000 Projector

Serial Control:
Oppo DVP-203 UHD Player
Lumagen Radiance Pro Video Processor

IR:
Lutron Grafik Eye Lighting

I am coming from iRule and I have to say I like DemoPad more. The main things that are an advantage to me are:

1) I can scale all of the buttons and graphics to what ever size (and shape) that I want.
2) I can actually LABEL buttons.

It was really straight forward in getting this going but did have a little bit of a learning curve.

Now I am moving on to feedback! We will see if I have problems with this or not. I am sure I may have questions for the forum on somethings.

John
Well some one dropped some big money. Hahaha. How do you like the Kaleidescape gear? I looked into a bit but think its way over priced for what it is. One question I do have is what would happen if Kaleidescape closed there doors tomorrow would every thing still work as designed or are there some services needed from them?

Also don't take this the wrong way but it looks like you must have 100k in home theater. Why are you using a DYI remote when I bet you could afford to pay for a number of products out there?

Also feedback for DirecTv is easy to do. I haven't done any of the others.

Last edited by mpg7321; 11-09-2018 at 11:21 PM.
post #372 of 733 Old 11-10-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Well some one dropped some big money. Hahaha. How do you like the Kaleidescape gear? I looked into a bit but think its way over priced for what it is. One question I do have is what would happen if Kaleidescape closed there doors tomorrow would every thing still work as designed or are there some services needed from them?

Also don't take this the wrong way but it looks like you must have 100k in home theater. Why are you using a DYI remote when I bet you could afford to pay for a number of products out there?

Also feedback for DirecTv is easy to do. I haven't done any of the others.
This may be a little long winded but here goes:

Kaleidescape:

These servers are my favorite components. They are the one item in my theater that there is no replacement for. Of course, I tend to take advantage of all it it's capabilities since I enjoy marking "Scenes" and then putting together "Scripts" of my favorites. Kaleidescape did shut their doors about two years ago. I scrambled with my dealer to get me extra drives for my 3U server and then started downloading all of my content from the store. If they had shut down for good, the server would still work just no new content for the store or book marking of new Blu-ray releases. But I would still be able to load in new content - it just wouldn't play without all the warnings. Luckily, Kaleidescape re-did their financing and are back up and running (and seem to be doing really well).

DIY Remote:

I did use a Creastron dealer at one point years ago. He then went out of business and I was stuck (there were a few other dealers that went out of business after I used them too). I also tend to like to upgrade components fairly regularly and it is really nice to be able to upgrade my own remote and have it up and running right away. Also, and can do all of the buttons that I want and add any news one as I think of them. Of course, one drawback is that iRule got purchased by another company (I didn't see that coming!) so here I am with DemoPad. And lastly, I really enjoy doing it myself.

John
post #373 of 733 Old 12-05-2018, 08:27 AM

Control Codes

I added the device codes for the following devices to DemoPad forum. I couldn't add here due to the file type (.dc1).

McIntosh MX160 audio processor IP Control
Sony VW5000 (and VW885) Projector IP Control
Kaleidescape Strato 4K Movie Server IP Control
Lumagen Radiance Pro RS232 Control
Lutron Grafik Eye IR Conrol using Global Cache gateway
Oppo UDP-203 UHD player RS232 Control
Sony DVP CX Series DVD/SACD Changer IR Control using Global Cache gateway

I hope these help someone down the road.

John
post #374 of 733 Old 12-17-2018, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I have taken the DemoPad plunge to replace iRule. I have to say that the response to support team to my emails has been, well, non-existent. I trying to get forum access to download some IP device files and have been waiting for almost a week to get activation.

Do representatives of DemoPad frequent this forum, and is there a way to export iRule device codes from iRule in a format that can be imported to DemoPad?

Thanks,

Willie
post #375 of 733 Old 12-17-2018, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post
I have taken the DemoPad plunge to replace iRule. I have to say that the response to support team to my emails has been, well, non-existent. I trying to get forum access to download some IP device files and have been waiting for almost a week to get activation.

Do representatives of DemoPad frequent this forum, and is there a way to export iRule device codes from iRule in a format that can be imported to DemoPad?

Thanks,

Willie
I am sorry to hear that. Email has always been quick. I have gotten response even on the weekends. Now I am a pro user and that is supposed to get priority response. The one thing I can think of is there last sets of updates caused a lot of problem. Most was fixed with in a two days but they may still be working hard to fix some of the bugs with that release. Now there forum are pretty dead and that is why I started this post. Maybe we can help.

First you can not import from iRule. If you are using a GC IR you can import IR codes from there service through the builder. RS232 and IP are not. Some can be found on there forums. If you can tell me what you are looking for I can check to see if some one posted them and then email you the file. For the most part I took my IP commands that I had in iRule and modified them to work. Give you an example in iRule to send a command to a Hue Bulb looks like this

/api/Y1Vpd5qwJVnjsRIdxFThJR0jxcrnxxxxxxXxxxx/lights/1/state/?{"on":false}

in DemoPad it looks like,

PUT /api/Y1Vpd5qwJVnjsRIdxFThJR0jxcrnxxxxxxXxxxx/lights/1/state HTTP/1.1\x0D\x0AHOST:xxx.xxx.x.xxx:80\x0D\x0AContent-Length: 12\x0D\x0A\x0D\x0A{"on":false}

So there is some things to figure out.

So lets see what we can do to get it going.

I would email them some more and I hope they get back to you.
Manni01 likes this.
post #376 of 733 Old 12-19-2018, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I received apologetic access to the DemoPad forum last night and found what I needed right away. I can see already I will like not being tethered to the iRule website. So far it does everything I need well.

Willie
post #377 of 733 Old 12-19-2018, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Good to hear.

All my interactions with Demopad support have been excellent.

Cheers,
post #378 of 733 Old 12-20-2018, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone have an IP/RS232 JVC dc1 file that is known to work with a JVC RS500, or alternatively the syntax/setup that the iRule codes will work with DemoPad?

Thanks,

Willie
post #379 of 733 Old 12-20-2018, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Does anyone have an IP/RS232 JVC dc1 file that is known to work with a JVC RS500, or alternatively the syntax/setup that the iRule codes will work with DemoPad?

Thanks,

Willie
I do not but maybe if you give a sample code from iRule we could help.
post #380 of 733 Old 12-20-2018, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Let me preface this by saying I am a little out of my league programming anything.

iRule sendsthe command PJREQ to the JVC; the JVC then return an ACK. The PJREQ is followed by sending the appropriate hex string. For instance the menu command is \x21\x89\x01\x52\x43\x37\x33\x32\x45\x0A. iRule sends the PJREQ command as part of the the page entrance repeating every 5 second or less, which is required by the JVC to respond with the ACK to the controlling device. I thought the PJREQ could be sent as the first command of a macro and the hex as a second command, or alternatively there may be a way to preface the hex command with the PJREQ.

Willie
post #381 of 733 Old 12-21-2018, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Let me preface this by saying I am a little out of my league programming anything.

iRule sendsthe command PJREQ to the JVC; the JVC then return an ACK. The PJREQ is followed by sending the appropriate hex string. For instance the menu command is \x21\x89\x01\x52\x43\x37\x33\x32\x45\x0A. iRule sends the PJREQ command as part of the the page entrance repeating every 5 second or less, which is required by the JVC to respond with the ACK to the controlling device. I thought the PJREQ could be sent as the first command of a macro and the hex as a second command, or alternatively there may be a way to preface the hex command with the PJREQ.

Willie
Sorry not the best may take some trial but I would try sending just x45\x0A. with command suffix left at default. Now in case you dint know you can test right from the builder.
post #382 of 733 Old 12-21-2018, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yup. Gonna' trial and error until I figure something out.

Thanks
post #383 of 733 Old 01-11-2019, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks,

Willie
Hello, I have a new JVC projector ( DLA X590) and got it working with Demopad- I've attached the file but had to rename it to .txt otherwise I couldn't upload it. Just rename it to jvc.dc1

my commands look like this Power on \x21\x89\x01\x50\x57\x31\x0A, I've left the command suffix box empty.

I use port 20554 and the trick that got it working for me was. to put PJREQ in the initial command box under the device properties box in demopad.

since then it has worked without issue.
Attached Files
File Type: txt JVC.txt (4.3 KB, 14 views)
jtjjen and Manni01 like this.
post #384 of 733 Old 01-12-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulromi View Post
Hello, I have a new JVC projector ( DLA X590) and got it working with Demopad- I've attached the file but had to rename it to .txt otherwise I couldn't upload it. Just rename it to jvc.dc1

my commands look like this Power on \x21\x89\x01\x50\x57\x31\x0A, I've left the command suffix box empty.

I use port 20554 and the trick that got it working for me was. to put PJREQ in the initial command box under the device properties box in demopad.

since then it has worked without issue.
Thanks for the update. I ended up cutting and pasting from the 2015 JVC device command pdf. I have most commands working with the pjreq in the the initial page command. I will check out device properties; page pjreq times out occasionally and some commands are not always reliable.

Thanks!
post #385 of 733 Old 01-16-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Coming from iRule I have to say I like DemoPad far more than iRule for all kinds of reasons, not the least of which is rock solid reliability. I give it a 96. It has a great beat and is easy to dance to! (OK, I anticipate not to many will get that reference )

Willie
post #386 of 733 Old 01-16-2019, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
iRule Replacement

I have been looking for an alternative to iRule since iRule was sold and all things iRule began to dry-up. I looked at Demopad a couple years ago but there wasn't much out there. But now that I am adding and replacing devices, I need to make a move. Looks like Demopad is starting to get some traction with the DIY folks.

While iRule was a bit quirky, I could always find a way to make it work for my needs. (Approx 12 devices and growing in 4 rooms)

Any advice before I make the plunge and start to invest the time and effort into Demopad?

Thx

"A respectable amount of bourbon to pour in a glass is about two fingers worth. Lucky for me I have big fingers"
post #387 of 733 Old 01-16-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would call DemoPad equally quirky. I guess I would advise going slowly and being patient. I am pretty happy I invested the time.

The author's instruction threads on the forum were helpful in terms of creating pages and sub-pages (vaguely akin to iRule drawers), and creating or importing devices; but sometimes lacking in detail. I used iRule as a jumping off point for IP and IR codes as well as device port addresses.

I have no programming background and had to learn http syntax for the get command and essentially had to glean IP communication by examining existing DemoPad device commands and how they work. Fortunately I have 3 sons who make their living in the world of programming for cloud based applications; they viewed my needs a trivial and helped quite a bit. IR stuff works with Global Cache devices no problems. The actual DemoPad forum sees very little action, however AVS users were very helpful.

I guess I would say if I can do it, most anybody who has set up 12 devices on iRule can do it.

Willie
post #388 of 733 Old 01-16-2019, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

I like DemoPad so far. I have more or less duplicated every thing in DemoPad from iRule. I have had very few problems. The app has been stable and feedback seems to be a lot fast then iRule. The learning curve was minimal. Not bad at all.
post #389 of 733 Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I like DemoPad so far. I have more or less duplicated every thing in DemoPad from iRule. I have had very few problems. The app has been stable and feedback seems to be a lot fast then iRule. The learning curve was minimal. Not bad at all.
I am by no means an IT nerd but I understand the basics of programming. Guess this old dog needs to learn something new (http syntax)

Sounds like I will be investing a some time on the computer on what looks to be a wet/cold weekend. Hopefully it will be time well spent.

Thanks

"A respectable amount of bourbon to pour in a glass is about two fingers worth. Lucky for me I have big fingers"
post #390 of 733 Old 01-17-2019, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoover View Post
I am by no means an IT nerd but I understand the basics of programming. Guess this old dog needs to learn something new (http syntax)

Sounds like I will be investing a some time on the computer on what looks to be a wet/cold weekend. Hopefully it will be time well spent.

Thanks
Make sure you DL and install the free graphic sets from there website, if you haven't done it already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page