Calling all DemoPad Users - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #391 of 733 Old 01-17-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 289
The option to drag graphics out of iRule online database 1 by 1 also works. Go the set online> open the set with view icon (eye) on the right>click and drag to desktop >rename and move to Demopad project directory. This is tedious and time consuming but I liked what I had in iRule. YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 733 Old 01-19-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, I have made some progress. But a long way to go. I have figured out the device setup. I have sent signals to one of my iTach GCs and have been able to control my older Pioneer Elite SC-07 via IR using the "test command" button . Looks like the the rest of the stuff should be doable. Just gonna take some time to Design and set it up the way I like it.

I have a couple questions before plunge in much deeper.

1. Do you have to have to buy the $30 app to make it work from your iphone/ipad? Not a bid deal but I would like to keep testing before throw down the cash (I know its just $30 but I didn't get this rich by pissing it away..)

2. Is there a better way to transfer Pronto Hex IR . I have them for my SC-07 Pronto Hex IR commands in excel and can transfer to txt file. But that wont work because I have to do the Hex convert every time. (Tedious!)

3. I only plan to have really one project albeit several rooms. Is it worth going pro? Don't really want to pay a monthly fee when I plan to do it once and upgrade periodically as things change.

Thoughts

Thx!

"A respectable amount of bourbon to pour in a glass is about two fingers worth. Lucky for me I have big fingers"
post #393 of 733 Old 01-19-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post
The option to drag graphics out of iRule online database 1 by 1 also works. Go the set online> open the set with view icon (eye) on the right>click and drag to desktop >rename and move to Demopad project directory. This is tedious and time consuming but I liked what I had in iRule. YMMV.
I would like to be able to do that as well but I don't really understand. Are you saying that you have to open irule Builder and then some way extract the images ? I don't see those commands .

Thx

"A respectable amount of bourbon to pour in a glass is about two fingers worth. Lucky for me I have big fingers"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 733 Old 01-19-2019, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoover View Post
Well, I have made some progress. But a long way to go. I have figured out the device setup. I have sent signals to one of my iTach GCs and have been able to control my older Pioneer Elite SC-07 via IR using the "test command" button . Looks like the the rest of the stuff should be doable. Just gonna take some time to Design and set it up the way I like it.

I have a couple questions before plunge in much deeper.

1. Do you have to have to buy the $30 app to make it work from your iphone/ipad? Not a bid deal but I would like to keep testing before throw down the cash (I know its just $30 but I didn't get this rich by pissing it away..)

2. Is there a better way to transfer Pronto Hex IR . I have them for my SC-07 Pronto Hex IR commands in excel and can transfer to txt file. But that wont work because I have to do the Hex convert every time. (Tedious!)

3. I only plan to have really one project albeit several rooms. Is it worth going pro? Don't really want to pay a monthly fee when I plan to do it once and upgrade periodically as things change.

Thoughts

Thx!
1)Yes you do need to buy the App.
2)I don't believe so. If its not in there data base you need to add it one at a time. You can also find a lot of codes here, https://irdb.globalcache.com/
3)I went pro, mainly to help support them so we don't have an iRule repeat. The pro does give you faster email support plus you can test and see IP feedback right in the builder. Besides that unless you order there hardware I don't see the point.
post #395 of 733 Old 01-19-2019, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would like to be able to do that as well but I don't really understand. Are you saying that you have to open irule Builder and then some way extract the images ? I don't see those commands .

Thx
In iRule builder, open the search for graphics. Find the set you want. Click on the preview button on the right side. I believe its some thing like ctr, alt click, then drag onto a desktop. Or some thing like that . You can search there forums to find out the way to do it.
post #396 of 733 Old 01-20-2019, 09:09 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the information. The https://irdb.globalcache.com/ Link could prove very helpful.

This actually looks like a very good alternative to iRule. While it doesn't have all the modules (which I did not use) it seems much more flexible and customizable. I am surprised it hasn't caught on more. I like the fact that the interface is paused on my computer and not a web-based interface. I think one of the roadblocks for some people would be the lack of a database for necessary IR and IP codes for various devices. You can find it, but it takes a little bit of work.

Gonna continue to test it but I think this looks like this will be my preferred solution. More to come. Thx!!

post #397 of 733 Old 01-20-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg7321 View Post
In iRule builder, open the search for graphics. Find the set you want. Click on the preview button on the right side. I believe its some thing like ctr, alt click, then drag onto a desktop. Or some thing like that . You can search there forums to find out the way to do it.
I figured it out. Just dragging it works. You can only do one at a time. Windows 10 has made it a real pain since you have to rename the last file copied because they have the same name. Guess I'll just do it on an as needed basis.

post #398 of 733 Old 01-20-2019, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think one of the roadblocks for some people would be the lack of a database for necessary IR and IP codes for various devices.
Not sure if this is only in the pro but there is a large IR data base to pull from in the builder.
post #399 of 733 Old 01-21-2019, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Thanks for the information. The https://irdb.globalcache.com/ Link could prove very helpful.
Also, since you are coming from iRule, I found that I had IR devices that only said “data base codes” without giving me the actual individual codes. These were almost always codes from Global Cache that you can get from the above site. The only tricky parts are 1) figuring out the module/port number on the GC component (sounds like you have already figured this out, 2) the commands from GC have both IR commands and HEX commands - you should only need the IR commands, and 3) you need to remove the “quote marks” from the string GC sends you.

Good luck,

John
RGHoover likes this.
post #400 of 733 Old 01-21-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would love to see is a step by step demo of constructing a two way feedback on Youtube; the online example has some holes in it (at least for me).

Willie
post #401 of 733 Old 01-21-2019, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would love to see is a step by step demo of constructing a two way feedback on Youtube; the online example has some holes in it (at least for me).

Willie
can you give the link on what you where looking at?
post #402 of 733 Old 01-22-2019, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Willie
Unfortunately, it's not that easy. Every component is different and the market for Demopad DIY is so microscopically small, trying to find detailed info on feedback can be extremely difficult. I find this board helpful as well as Demopad's own support. I have 2 components utilizing feedback in Demopad and the two could not be more different in their implementation.
post #403 of 733 Old 01-22-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I understand it is not typical DIY and assumes/requires at least some programming acumen, or at least some experience. I was hoping for setup screen shots of something that works so I can study and understand the implementation and go from there.

Appreciate the feedback (pun intended)

Willie
post #404 of 733 Old 01-22-2019, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
I understand it is not typical DIY and assumes/requires at least some programming acumen, or at least some experience. I was hoping for setup screen shots of something that works so I can study and understand the implementation and go from there.

Appreciate the feedback (pun intended)

Willie
Hi Willie,

Have you been through all the screen shots posted in this thread ?

They should give you a pretty good start in setting up basic feedback.

Cheers,
post #405 of 733 Old 01-22-2019, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Hi Willie,

Have you been through all the screen shots posted in this thread ?

They should give you a pretty good start in setting up basic feedback.
Wow. I never thought to search this thread and didn't remember seeing them; I made the decision to try DemoPad probably no more than 2 months ago, I have really only searched this thread for some JVC answers (which I found and were very helpful). I see now there is quite a bit of discussion and screen shots early in the thread relative to feedback. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I am sure it will help.
post #406 of 733 Old 01-24-2019, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Wow. I never thought to search this thread and didn't remember seeing them; I made the decision to try DemoPad probably no more than 2 months ago, I have really only searched this thread for some JVC answers (which I found and were very helpful). I see now there is quite a bit of discussion and screen shots early in the thread relative to feedback. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I am sure it will help.
You can also download sample projects from Demopad's site. They are invaluable in learning how things are set up. I highly recommend them.
post #407 of 733 Old 01-27-2019, 10:03 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjjen View Post
Also, since you are coming from iRule, I found that I had IR devices that only said “data base codes” without giving me the actual individual codes. These were almost always codes from Global Cache that you can get from the above site. The only tricky parts are 1) figuring out the module/port number on the GC component (sounds like you have already figured this out, 2) the commands from GC have both IR commands and HEX commands - you should only need the IR commands, and 3) you need to remove the “quote marks” from the string GC sends you.

Good luck,

John
The command codes are a bit tricky but I've been lucky so far.

It is starting to make sense now. I think I have gotten around the major learning curve. Now comes the tedium of building the pages and tweaking things to my liking.

I really am surprised this hasn't caught on more. It is really a very good alternative to iRule. If you choose not to go the Pro route it is very cost effective as well. If more people get on board there might be better ways to hare resources as well.

I gonna keep working at it but I think I am committed.

post #408 of 733 Old 01-27-2019, 06:59 PM

Liked: 55
I agree on DemoPad being a good alternative to iRule. The feedback in DemoPad is much more responsive and once you get the hang of Regex it is quite straight forward.

Also, I was looking through my notes on using IR codes from GC, and I had a couple of components that did not respond until I did “repeats” of the commands (one required 1 extra repeat the other 2 extra).

John
post #409 of 733 Old 01-28-2019, 08:29 AM

Agreed . It is much more responsive Not sure what Regex is but I'm getting things to work so I'll look into that later. I stared messing with flags and variables. Seems powerful but I think I'll stick to basics until I get things up and running on a larger scale.

I had a couple on IR codes I found needed repeating as well. My Pioneer Elite was a bit stubborn to turn on.

post #410 of 733 Old 02-03-2019, 02:07 PM

Is there a way to export a demopad image so that it can be edited? I am not sure how to deal with the *.dci file format.

Thx

post #411 of 733 Old 02-05-2019, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
SamsungSmartthings Hub and DemoPad to control z-wave light switch/dimmer

I control lights in my movie room via Z-wave switches that communicate with lights through Samsung's Smartthings hub. Has anyone figured out how to use Demopad/CentroControl to communicate with Smartthings to control lights as I described. I've looked through this forum and the DemoPad documentation and haven't found the 'answer' -- or my ignorance of how this all works has limited my ability to recognize the answer.

I use the Smartthings app on my iphone to communicate with the Smartthings hub...I also have Amazon Alexa set up to communicate with the hub to turn the light on/off ... and dimmer/brighter.

Any help is much appreciated.

Mike
post #412 of 733 Old 02-06-2019, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml_white481 View Post
SamsungSmartthings Hub and DemoPad to control z-wave light switch/dimmer

I control lights in my movie room via Z-wave switches that communicate with lights through Samsung's Smartthings hub. Has anyone figured out how to use Demopad/CentroControl to communicate with Smartthings to control lights as I described. I've looked through this forum and the DemoPad documentation and haven't found the 'answer' -- or my ignorance of how this all works has limited my ability to recognize the answer.

I use the Smartthings app on my iphone to communicate with the Smartthings hub...I also have Amazon Alexa set up to communicate with the hub to turn the light on/off ... and dimmer/brighter.

Any help is much appreciated.

Mike
I do not have Smartthings. I would guess if you can FTP into the hub you should be able to. I have a friend that uses Snartthigs but doesn't use DemoPad but I believe he does communicate with the hub from other remotes like DemoPad. I would email support and ask them.
post #413 of 733 Old 02-06-2019, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is there a way to export a demopad image so that it can be edited? I am not sure how to deal with the *.dci file format.
If you look in the folder where your project is stored there's a sub-folder with all the images in it.

My project is called "theatre" and the main Demopad data file is "theatre.pad" and then the image sub-folder is called "theatre.pad_Files". It contains all the images as .png.

Cheers,
post #414 of 733 Old 02-07-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 154
guys, i'm downloading images from irule builder. they r coming out as png's with a white background? i'm good right?

what sizes r u all grabbing. i'm just grabbing the iPhone iPad ones cause that is what i always used. I'm not grabbing any 1.5 or larger ones?

what r u all using for backgrounds? taking the irule ones?

anything else i should know?

do you all know if the ones we add are then shared out to users like they were in irule? like the builder had builder and community searches.

thanks a lot. i'm going to start playing with it this weekend maybe. sad cause i used iRule from day 1 but i just want to be ready in case. it was a rock solid app for so so many years!

we never really used anything else in our house.

jim
post #415 of 733 Old 02-07-2019, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
guys, i'm downloading images from irule builder. they r coming out as png's with a white background? i'm good right?

what sizes r u all grabbing. i'm just grabbing the iPhone iPad ones cause that is what i always used. I'm not grabbing any 1.5 or larger ones?

what r u all using for backgrounds? taking the irule ones?

anything else i should know?

do you all know if the ones we add are then shared out to users like they were in irule? like the builder had builder and community searches.

thanks a lot. i'm going to start playing with it this weekend maybe. sad cause i used iRule from day 1 but i just want to be ready in case. it was a rock solid app for so so many years!

we never really used anything else in our house.

jim
I just grabbed the ones I used for my iPad. The nice thing about DemoPad is you can resize the graphics right in the builder. Not sure on backgrounds. Have you DL the free Graphic sets from DemoPad? There is no share features for graphics like in iRule. On there Forums there are guys sharing there builds, you may want to DL some and see if there are any graphics you like.
post #416 of 733 Old 02-07-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg7321 View Post
I just grabbed the ones I used for my iPad. The nice thing about DemoPad is you can resize the graphics right in the builder. Not sure on backgrounds. Have you DL the free Graphic sets from DemoPad? There is no share features for graphics like in iRule. On there Forums there are guys sharing there builds, you may want to DL some and see if there are any graphics you like.
thanks for the help!
post #417 of 733 Old 02-07-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

ok i downloaded the software. r u guys using the pro version? do we need the larger pro version?

i'm using all my global cache itach's so they are generic devices right? so i don't need the pro version then?

but i will pay the 1 time fee pretty much to use the app?

jim

Last edited by jimim; 02-07-2019 at 05:18 PM.
post #418 of 733 Old 02-07-2019, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi Jim,

The one time in-app payment is required for any system that doesn't include some of Demopad's own hardware.

mpg uses the Pro version and I use the Standard so there's no consensus on that one !

The main advantage of the Pro appears to be the feedback tools, where you can see the raw feedback. I use Hercules and Wireshark for feedback debugging.

Your GC's will work just fine with Demopad - in fact I think Demopad keeps a more solid connection to the GC's than iRule did.

Cheers,
post #419 of 733 Old 02-08-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

thanks peter. i'm grabbing icons that i need from irule but i can't find a bunch that i imported from uses but they r in my library in my build. any way of getting those out to use?

do u know of a good site for buttons without backgrounds that i can use?

thanks,
jim
post #420 of 733 Old 02-08-2019, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
thanks peter. i'm grabbing icons that i need from irule but i can't find a bunch that i imported from uses but they r in my library in my build. any way of getting those out to use?

do u know of a good site for buttons without backgrounds that i can use?

thanks,
jim
Once the images are in your build in iRule, I don't believe you can get them out. That always frustrated me.

Like Peter said you don't have to pay for the pro version, but I do for I want to help support them, so hopefully they stick around. The pro does give you better Email support too. To give an example, I use EventGhost on a PC. I was having trouble getting it to work with DemoPad, so I emailed support. He emailed back saying we have never used EventGhost, but email me back with your EG file and I will look into it. A day later he emailed me back with the fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page