Calling all DemoPad Users - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #571 of 663 Old 05-20-2019, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Hi John,

I've been away for a few days so just catching up on your progress.

Glad to hear that it's now working. The Panny latency is an interesting issue that I haven't come across before.

I still believe that the macro we've come up with is the best solution for your situation, and it's an improvement to some of my power status tracking so I intend to implement the same. I think about it this way - we are using the absence of feedback to trigger the OFF state, so the process cannot be fully dealt with in the feedback section.

Have you tried changing the delay on the last two macro commands from 1.0 to 2.0 secs ? And then 3.0 secs and so on until it works reliably.

The repeat interval in the page load should then be changed to this delay + 1.0 secs. I think this will stop the commands tripping over each other.

Cheers,
Hi Peter,

Yes I did play around with timing and repeat frequency and came up with settings that work very well. Basically the the macro delay settings you identified work as well as anything and the repeat call to the macro I am using is 3.5 sec. for the Panny. Anything shorter and I run into problems. I may be wrong about this but the repeat cycle should be no smaller than sum of the delays and then I added a safety factor. At any rate this works great for the Panny, and I implemented the same strategy on the HTPC's (2 of them) but there I am using a 2 second repeat. Again no issues.

Like you, have a dedicated power page that displays the on/off status of all of my devices, so that is only page that makes these calls. Everything is working well and so at least for the moment I have no open issues.

Thanks.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 663 Old 05-20-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg7321 View Post
I asked support and you are correct you would have to add one of there controllers or use a program like EG to do what I was thinking of.
Yes. I was going to comment that instead of setting up a separate PC to run a python script I would probably investigate the use of Centro Hub/Controller. Cost might be a bit higher but it would simplify and improve the overall robustness and reliability of the system. But to be honest the solution I have now, even if not the optimal, is working extremely well and so what isn't broke I'm not fixing.

Thanks.
post #573 of 663 Old 05-20-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Hi John,

Very glad to hear it's all working OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsiemon View Post
I may be wrong about this but the repeat cycle should be no smaller than sum of the delays and then I added a safety factor.
Hmmm ... seems that this would be a good time to clarify that delays are absolute and not relative. In a macro the delay shown against each action is the delay from the start of the macro to that action. So this should be "the repeat cycle should be no smaller than the last delay plus a safety factor".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsiemon View Post
Like you, have a dedicated power page that displays the on/off status of all of my devices, so that is only page that makes these calls.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 663 Old 05-21-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Hi John,

I've been away for a few days so just catching up on your progress.

Glad to hear that it's now working. The Panny latency is an interesting issue that I haven't come across before.

I still believe that the macro we've come up with is the best solution for your situation, and it's an improvement to some of my power status tracking so I intend to implement the same. I think about it this way - we are using the absence of feedback to trigger the OFF state, so the process cannot be fully dealt with in the feedback section.

Have you tried changing the delay on the last two macro commands from 1.0 to 2.0 secs ? And then 3.0 secs and so on until it works reliably.

The repeat interval in the page load should then be changed to this delay + 1.0 secs. I think this will stop the commands tripping over each other.

Cheers,
Peter

I don't pretend to fully understand what is going on here, but the Panny Plasma is a peculiar beast. I have investigated further and made some observation that may or may not be generally true. In the macro I was able to reduce the delay of the query to 0 from .2 sec and the flag setting to .2 from 1 sec. I tried all 0 and that was a no-go, so some minimal delay between the query and the flag set is required. That is where I have left it and it seems fine. I understand that the delays are not supposed to be cumulative, but in the case of a macro I think they are since the macros commands need to be treated as a single command and executed sequentially. Again I may be wrong, but that is my observation.

For the Page Load actions, I have tried a repeat cycle as short as .5 seconds with the current macro settings and it works. I have also gone as long as 5 sec and that works as well, but in a different way. Peculiar to the Panny is that fact that I have to Query Panny Power Status twice in succession with exactly the same repeat cycle or I get no response no matter what delays I choose in the macro. Nothing. This is not the case for the HTPC's where a single query gets the job done. Because of the double call, commands get out of sequence and trampled. As a result I get an intermittent, non-periodic flash of the Panny Power Button. The power button off state length is related to, but not 1:1 correlated with, the length of the repeat cycle. The longer the repeat interval the longer the button stays in the off state, but not for the full the length of the repeat. Further the intermittent flash is also related to the repeat length, but again not 1:1 correlated with the repeat cycle length.

Since my Panny Power Button only is present on the Power Center Page that contains all of the Power Buttons for all Devices in the system, it is not something that I sit and stare at so having an intermittent flash, with a relative short off state is no big deal for me and so I what I have "finally" (until the next tweak) settled on, is a repeat of 1.5 sec. With these settings there is no mistaking when the Panny is on or off.

Coming from iRule, knowing nothing about DemoPad and given I was at ground zero 2.5 months ago and now have a fully functioning whole house, multi zone, multi device automation remote is pretty amazing. I'm more than happy with the transition and the product, and so is my wife which is saying something

John
post #575 of 663 Old 05-21-2019, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

John,

Having to query the Panny twice is very odd. I'm sure there must be an explanation for it, but if everything works then I can certainly understand your reluctance to keep investigating.

I can assure you that all lists of Actions (buttons, feedbacks, custom number) use absolute and not cumulative delays. This has been confirmed by Demopad support in many threads on their forum.

Cheers,
post #576 of 663 Old 05-27-2019, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Press and Hold

Is Press and Hold option only available in the pro version? I read that it is available but don't see it.

Thanks!

"A respectable amount of bourbon to pour in a glass is about two fingers worth. Lucky for me I have big fingers"

Last edited by RGHoover; 05-27-2019 at 11:27 AM.
post #577 of 663 Old 05-27-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoover View Post
Is Press and Hold option only available in the pro version? I read that it is available but don't see it.
When a button is selected in the designer, different action types can be added here -

Gesture actions is where you can do press and hold.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	action types.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	2572558  
post #578 of 663 Old 06-01-2019, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Demopad IR delay issues

So I’ve got my project all up and running after switching from iRule, but I’m having a problem with significant delays with IR transmission.

I have a Global Cache GC-100-12 and I am using both the serial and IR capabilities of this unit.

When I send a command to my Xbox 360 to turn it on, all works well, the device turns on instantly and I have instant IR control of that device.

When I then try to turn off this device and switch to another via a command sequence attached to a button press (in this case the Fetch TV unit which is already on), it takes about 10 seconds for the IR to be responsive on the Fetch Tv unit.

If I then add in multiple devices to turn on and off, the delays could be 20-30 seconds or devices will fail to respond at all.
In this case I want to switch over to playing Blu-Ray discs on the Panasonic Blu-ray player and make sure everything else is turned off.

I can confirm the following

1. All the devices work fine through demopad when controlled individually so I know all my discrete commands are good.
2. I don’t have this problem with IP controlled devices (like my Marantz Receiver) or devices controlled serially by the Global Cache.
3. The only problem is with IR controlled devices with the Global Cache.

Thanks in advance
post #579 of 663 Old 06-02-2019, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsortan View Post
So I’ve got my project all up and running after switching from iRule, but I’m having a problem with significant delays with IR transmission.

I have a Global Cache GC-100-12 and I am using both the serial and IR capabilities of this unit.

When I send a command to my Xbox 360 to turn it on, all works well, the device turns on instantly and I have instant IR control of that device.

When I then try to turn off this device and switch to another via a command sequence attached to a button press (in this case the Fetch TV unit which is already on), it takes about 10 seconds for the IR to be responsive on the Fetch Tv unit.

If I then add in multiple devices to turn on and off, the delays could be 20-30 seconds or devices will fail to respond at all.
In this case I want to switch over to playing Blu-Ray discs on the Panasonic Blu-ray player and make sure everything else is turned off.

I can confirm the following

1. All the devices work fine through demopad when controlled individually so I know all my discrete commands are good.
2. I don’t have this problem with IP controlled devices (like my Marantz Receiver) or devices controlled serially by the Global Cache.
3. The only problem is with IR controlled devices with the Global Cache.

Thanks in advance

Are you using the IR commands from there database? So if I understand its not a problem if you just send one command but a delay if you use it in a macro, is that correct? I no longer use IR, but if I remember I did have issues if I sent a bunch of IR commands to a GC with out adding a bit of delays in a macro.
post #580 of 663 Old 06-02-2019, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsortan View Post

Not something I've experienced with my GC-100s. Have you tried playing with these settings -

Probably a long shot !

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	device props.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	2575188  
post #581 of 663 Old 06-05-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm very happy with JRiver for playing ripped multi-channel music and concert videos, except that in Fullscreen mode, and without using a mouse, there's no way to bring up a Chapter list and select one to jump to. There is an OSD available and with about five down arrow commands you get to the Chapter display that allows jumping through Chapters using left / right arrows. This is a bit clunky and the Chapters don't have names, just numbers, which is annoying in concerts where I want to play a particular song.

So I've just finished implementing a temporary fix that allows me to see a full chapter list in Demopad. It's very much BFI (brute force and ignorance!) but works quite well. Here's how I did it -

1. Look for chapter list on-line (most ended up coming from Discogs).
2. Copy and paste into Word.
3. Open the MKV in mkvtoolnix and compare total number of chapters to the above list.
4. If the same - all good - type all the chapter names into mkvtoolnix.
5. If not the same - play the MKV and jump around through the chapters and update the above list - type all the chapter names into mkvtoolnix.

So now when I play the MKV and use the OSD to move around the chapters I can see the names. But of course this doesn't really help me locate a certain chapter.

6. Save the Word document to pdf.
7. Save the pdf as png.

8. Add a new "Tracks" page into Demopad.
9. Add a button to the "JRiver" page to jump to the "Tracks" page.
10. On the "Tracks" page there are 26 buttons for A - Z.
11. Each of these buttons brings up a list of all the appropriate artists and concerts - each on a separate button. This is all typed into Demopad.
12. Push a button for a concert and Demopad loads the chapter list png file in a Web viewer window.
13. Whilst still on the "Tracks" page and looking at the chapter list, use the up/down/left/right arrow buttons under the list to navigate the JRiver OSD.

14. Have a celebratory beer because it all works !

15. Repeat steps 1 to 7 for the remaining 115 concert discs !!!

Cheers,
post #582 of 663 Old 06-05-2019, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm very happy with JRiver for playing ripped multi-channel music and concert videos, except that in Fullscreen mode, and without using a mouse, there's no way to bring up a Chapter list and select one to jump to. There is an OSD available and with about five down arrow commands you get to the Chapter display that allows jumping through Chapters using left / right arrows. This is a bit clunky and the Chapters don't have names, just numbers, which is annoying in concerts where I want to play a particular song.

So I've just finished implementing a temporary fix that allows me to see a full chapter list in Demopad. It's very much BFI (brute force and ignorance!) but works quite well. Here's how I did it -

1. Look for chapter list on-line (most ended up coming from Discogs).
2. Copy and paste into Word.
3. Open the MKV in mkvtoolnix and compare total number of chapters to the above list.
4. If the same - all good - type all the chapter names into mkvtoolnix.
5. If not the same - play the MKV and jump around through the chapters and update the above list - type all the chapter names into mkvtoolnix.

So now when I play the MKV and use the OSD to move around the chapters I can see the names. But of course this doesn't really help me locate a certain chapter.

6. Save the Word document to pdf.
7. Save the pdf as png.

8. Add a new "Tracks" page into Demopad.
9. Add a button to the "JRiver" page to jump to the "Tracks" page.
10. On the "Tracks" page there are 26 buttons for A - Z.
11. Each of these buttons brings up a list of all the appropriate artists and concerts - each on a separate button. This is all typed into Demopad.
12. Push a button for a concert and Demopad loads the chapter list png file in a Web viewer window.
13. Whilst still on the "Tracks" page and looking at the chapter list, use the up/down/left/right arrow buttons under the list to navigate the JRiver OSD.

14. Have a celebratory beer because it all works !

15. Repeat steps 1 to 7 for the remaining 115 concert discs !!!

Cheers,
I would still look into there web interface, its not locked down so you can modify to your liking. You may be able to display the chapters that way. its all Java base so maybe you can. When I was using jRiver that's what I did. I modified there old web interface and displayed it in a web view in iRule. Worked great. I had my movies, music, playlist, cover art, full control all in the web view all modified to my liking.
post #583 of 663 Old 06-05-2019, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I assume that would give me the Chapter list displayed in Demopad ?

Ideally what I'd like to be able to do, is have the Chapter list come up as an overlay on the video playing in fullscreen mode. You can currently only do this with a mouse - right click, select "Jump To" and then click on the track.

I have a thread running on the JRiver forum where a couple of us have requested this, and whilst the developers aren't going to dive straight into it, they may consider it in a future revision. Until then I'll have to stick with my BFI solution - now that it's all typed in, the pain of adding a new concert is minimal.

Cheers,
post #584 of 663 Old 06-06-2019, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hey all,
I'm switching from iRule to Demopad. I have paid for the $30 app but now that've tried to register to the forums but it looks like you cannot register a gmail or hotmail address (wut?). Anyway, I've sent a couple of emails to Demopad support but of course no replies. Am I screwed?
Where can I find the IP commands for my Pioneer receiver, TV, my roku, Vero 4k, etc?
post #585 of 663 Old 06-06-2019, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can't comment on the allowable email addresses, but I'd be very surprised if gmail and hotmail were excluded. Demopad support is usually very responsive.

IIRC there are separate logins required for the Demopad Cloud (where you download the builder) and the Demopad forum.

Demopad doesn't maintain a command database like iRule, but the forum does have an area for users to share commands. The file format for commands is .dc1

You may have to type them all in for some of your devices.

Cheers,
post #586 of 663 Old 06-06-2019, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Duno know where your at but they are in the UK so keep in mind the time difference. They have always responded with in 24 hours. I use a gmail so not sure why or if they changed some thing
post #587 of 663 Old 06-07-2019, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 22

I tried to register over a month ago with the same problem. I had send a message to DemoPad then and never got a reply. I had put that on hold because my iPad Mini was just too old to use DemoPad on it anyway but I now have the newest iPad Mini so I tried to register again but with the same error and no reply from the Admin, once again.

It's only the Forums. I am registered for the builder:

post #588 of 663 Old 06-08-2019, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArieS1204 View Post

I tried to register over a month ago with the same problem. I had send a message to DemoPad then and never got a reply. I had put that on hold because my iPad Mini was just too old to use DemoPad on it anyway but I now have the newest iPad Mini so I tried to register again but with the same error and no reply from the Admin, once again.

It's only the Forums. I am registered for the builder:

On there forums I had to use my Yahoo email vs Gmail
post #589 of 663 Old 06-15-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
When a button is selected in the designer, different action types can be added here -

Gesture actions is where you can do press and hold.

Cheers,
Well that was to easy! Just missed that all together. Thanks!
Peter M likes this.

"A respectable amount of bourbon to pour in a glass is about two fingers worth. Lucky for me I have big fingers"
post #590 of 663 Old 06-18-2019, 01:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've built a remote controlled power supply box based around an eight channel IP controlled relay board that I got from DFRobot

The board reports the status of all the relays using a single byte of feedback, with one bit for each of the eight channels.

Using Hercules to look at the feedback gives me a single character that is the ASCII equivalent to the returned byte. I've checked the ASCII / binary conversions and it's sending correct feedback.

My problem is that I have no idea how I might be able to convert the byte to binary and look at each bit.

Any ideas ? I've also posted this on the Demopad forum.

Cheers,
post #591 of 663 Old 06-18-2019, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've built a remote controlled power supply box based around an eight channel IP controlled relay board that I got from DFRobot

The board reports the status of all the relays using a single byte of feedback, with one bit for each of the eight channels.

Using Hercules to look at the feedback gives me a single character that is the ASCII equivalent to the returned byte. I've checked the ASCII / binary conversions and it's sending correct feedback.

My problem is that I have no idea how I might be able to convert the byte to binary and look at each bit.

Any ideas ? I've also posted this on the Demopad forum.

Cheers,
IF you do a "Catch all" in Demopad, can you get any thing to show up? Also have you emailed support? I know that Java is commonly used to convert bytes to binary so not sure how you can do this in Demopad
post #592 of 663 Old 06-25-2019, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am new to DemoPad and have searched this thread and DemoPad's Forum - I have applied to become of a member of their site but have yet to hear back. I have a very simple set-up (LG OLED TV, Onkyo RZ1100 Amp and Tivo Bolt). I have downloaded the Designer software and watched the instruction videos and read different threads.

It seems fairly straight forward (I am sure the devil is in detail), but I must be doing something fundamentally wrong. I decided to start with what I thought would be the easiest device the Onkyo Amp. I used the Online Database of Commands and tried each of the 5 different Codesets with the Test Command feature. I could not get any of them to work.

I know I have the correct IP and Port #'s since I Telenet into the receiver and was it communicating back when I increased the volume via the remote. I even did a NMAP scan to make sure there was not another Port # I should be using.

I have left the Type as Gereric, UDP unchecked and Command Suffix as the default.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I sincerely appreciate any suggestions.
post #593 of 663 Old 06-25-2019, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain27 View Post
I am new to DemoPad and have searched this thread and DemoPad's Forum - I have applied to become of a member of their site but have yet to hear back. I have a very simple set-up (LG OLED TV, Onkyo RZ1100 Amp and Tivo Bolt). I have downloaded the Designer software and watched the instruction videos and read different threads.

It seems fairly straight forward (I am sure the devil is in detail), but I must be doing something fundamentally wrong. I decided to start with what I thought would be the easiest device the Onkyo Amp. I used the Online Database of Commands and tried each of the 5 different Codesets with the Test Command feature. I could not get any of them to work.

I know I have the correct IP and Port #'s since I Telenet into the receiver and was it communicating back when I increased the volume via the remote. I even did a NMAP scan to make sure there was not another Port # I should be using.

I have left the Type as Gereric, UDP unchecked and Command Suffix as the default.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I sincerely appreciate any suggestions.

try this for power on !1PWR01\x0D. See if that works. Its my understanding there RS232 and IP commands are the same. That was my RS232 command back when I had an Onkyo
post #594 of 663 Old 06-25-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
try this for power on !1PWR01\x0D. See if that works. Its my understanding there RS232 and IP commands are the same. That was my RS232 command back when I had an Onkyo
Thank you! When I telnet into the Amp I confirmed the RS232 are the commands. However, when I use one in the Command Data area and press Test Command I receive the confirmation it was sent, but nothing changes on the Amp.
post #595 of 663 Old 06-25-2019, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank you! When I telnet into the Amp I confirmed the RS232 are the commands. However, when I use one in the Command Data area and press Test Command I receive the confirmation it was sent, but nothing changes on the Amp.

Because you did not get an error back in the builder I will assume you are on the same network and that the builder did find the receiver. For me if the device is not connected to the network, the builder would comeback with an error saying device not found or some thing along those lines. Its been a minute but I believe I had to turn some thing on in the settings in order for IP to work. I would try to get there app to work, just to make sure IP is working. Plus I wonder if your network goes to sleep when in standby. Try this command wen on !1SLI10\x0D should set input to DVD
post #596 of 663 Old 06-28-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Because you did not get an error back in the builder I will assume you are on the same network and that the builder did find the receiver. For me if the device is not connected to the network, the builder would comeback with an error saying device not found or some thing along those lines. Its been a minute but I believe I had to turn some thing on in the settings in order for IP to work. I would try to get there app to work, just to make sure IP is working. Plus I wonder if your network goes to sleep when in standby. Try this command wen on !1SLI10\x0D should set input to DVD
Yes, I am on the same network and do receive the "Command Sent" confirmation. I am also able to use the App from Onkyo so I know the Amp is accepting commands over the network. Took a screen snapshot of the designer software, but since I am new to the forum I cannot post the image.

Many years ago I programmed my Philips Pronto remote with no issues. I thought this would be relatively easy considering all three devices are new and accept IP commands from their individual apps with no issues. I have looked at other platforms, but the sticking point seems to be the LG OLED Smart TV. You would think to control 3 devices with a tablet in a single platform would be easy.
post #597 of 663 Old 06-28-2019, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, I am on the same network and do receive the "Command Sent" confirmation. I am also able to use the App from Onkyo so I know the Amp is accepting commands over the network. Took a screen snapshot of the designer software, but since I am new to the forum I cannot post the image.

Many years ago I programmed my Philips Pronto remote with no issues. I thought this would be relatively easy considering all three devices are new and accept IP commands from their individual apps with no issues. I have looked at other platforms, but the sticking point seems to be the LG OLED Smart TV. You would think to control 3 devices with a tablet in a single platform would be easy.

Sorry just reaching in the dark, but if I remember correctly Onky's only like one connection at a time, so maybe turn off all apps, and unplug and plug back in the device
post #598 of 663 Old 07-02-2019, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
IF you do a "Catch all" in Demopad, can you get any thing to show up? Also have you emailed support? I know that Java is commonly used to convert bytes to binary so not sure how you can do this in Demopad
No response to my Forum post, so I've just emailed support. Not really holding out any great hope for a Demopad solution.

The board has a browser interface so I've trapped some communication using Wireshark and it's using HTTP GET. This is another possible solution.

Cheers,
post #599 of 663 Old 07-04-2019, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
New to Demopad. I was wondering if anyone had a implemented IP control and feed back for the Dune Base HD wouldn't mind sharing the file.

Thanks in advance.
post #600 of 663 Old 07-05-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydj View Post
New to Demopad. I was wondering if anyone had a implemented IP control and feed back for the Dune Base HD wouldn't mind sharing the file.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Demopad. I can’t attach that type of file so see attached link for the location of the file you are looking for. There’s a lot of good information in that forum.

I’m not really sure about feedback. I imagine it can be done but I haven’t seen anybody post anything with regard to feedback for the Dune and I haven’t really messed with yet. Still trying to get the basics in place then go back and add the bells and whistles.

Good luck!

http://forum.demopad.com/viewtopic.p...lit=dune#p4009

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page