LG Magic remote programming HELP! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By TreyS
  • 1 Post By BPlayer

post #1 of 8 Old 12-07-2017, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG Magic remote programming HELP!

Am I missing something? Unlike my Samsung 9000 series tv...my new LG E7 OLED doesn't seem to have the option when programming the magic remote to recognize the fact that all my components run thru my AV receiver and I essentially need all components to be setup on one tv HDMI 2 (ARC) port. So, again am I missing something? Or is this something LG tv's can't recognize..which I find hard to believe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-25-2019, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Same issue. Is this magic remote a dud or what. I just picked up a lg lied 65” C9 and have all my devices connected to my receiver. The receiver connected to HDMI 2(arc). I want the volume to control the receiver. None I’ve the videos online are useful.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-26-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyS View Post
Same issue. Is this magic remote a dud or what. I just picked up a lg lied 65” C9 and have all my devices connected to my receiver. The receiver connected to HDMI 2(arc). I want the volume to control the receiver. None I’ve the videos online are useful.
Get a Harmony remote and put the Magic Remote in a drawer. I rarely use the Magic Remote and find that I can do all that I want to do with my Harmony as far as globally controlling my HTS or selecting Devices, click the Device I want, and access some more detailed functions for the given device. However, if you need/want to use ARC that may an issue because of potential CEC issues.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-26-2019, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Agreed....I grabbed a used Harmony One on eBay yesterday.
beerhunt likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-27-2019, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Get a Harmony remote and put the Magic Remote in a drawer. I rarely use the Magic Remote and find that I can do all that I want to do with my Harmony as far as globally controlling my HTS or selecting Devices, click the Device I want, and access some more detailed functions for the given device. However, if you need/want to use ARC that may an issue because of potential CEC issues.
My setup includes an HE, Magic Remote, Infinity Voice Remote, and mini keypad. The HE is used for the majority of activities. The Voice Remote is used very infrequently for program search on the cable box (very efficient and accurate). The keypad is infrequently used on my Android TV box, mostly for text entry like URL's or cursor navigation on file entries. The Magic Remote would be handy for faster selection, particularly on YouTube navigation, but it sits unused is a drawer for the last couple of years.

I use ARC and have setup my Harmony activities to work around CEC issues. Fairly easy to do with a little of patience and fine tuning over a week or two of usage.
beerhunt likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-27-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
My setup includes an HE, Magic Remote, Infinity Voice Remote, and mini keypad. The HE is used for the majority of activities. The Voice Remote is used very infrequently for program search on the cable box (very efficient and accurate). The keypad is infrequently used on my Android TV box, mostly for text entry like URL's or cursor navigation on file entries. The Magic Remote would be handy for faster selection, particularly on YouTube navigation, but it sits unused is a drawer for the last couple of years.

I use ARC and have setup my Harmony activities to work around CEC issues. Fairly easy to do with a little of patience and fine tuning over a week or two of usage.
Yep, if you can disable CEC or use something like the Lindy CECless Adapter, you can use the Harmony and still maintain ARC. Personally, I have no use for ARC/CEC so I've been able to avoid most of the headaches associated with those issues by using the Harmony in lieu of CEC and an optical cable instead of ARC from the tv to the receiver for audio from cable tv, and when I rarely use the SmartApps from my C8.

post #7 of 8 Old 11-27-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Yep, if you can disable CEC or use something like the Lindy CECless Adapter, you can use the Harmony and still maintain ARC. Personally, I have no use for ARC/CEC so I've been able to avoid most of the headaches associated with those issues by using the Harmony in lieu of CEC and an optical cable instead of ARC from the tv to the receiver for audio from cable tv, and when I rarely use the SmartApps from my C8.
You missed what I was saying. I have CEC enabled and am using the Harmony Elite. I need CEC enabled so that I can get ARC from my TV for an Atmos audio stream. I have them working well together.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-27-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
You missed what I was saying. I have CEC enabled and am using the Harmony Elite. I need CEC enabled so that I can get ARC from my TV for an Atmos audio stream. I have them working well together.
Ok. It wasn't quite clear. I'm glad that you can maintain ARC/CEC and still use your Harmony for single remote control. A lot of folks can't (for various reasons) so kudos to you for getting the Harmony to work like you want with both enabled. It's obviously not impossible but is dependent in large part on the devices in your system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page