Does URC total control 2.0 integrate with... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-25-2017, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does URC total control 2.0 integrate with...

Here are the items I need it to work with
  • Samsung tv (ir)
    Bell fibe tv(ir, though it would be preferable
    Apple TV Gen 4 (i p preferably)
    Anthem mrx300 (serial preferably)
    Hikvision nvr (ip)
    August door lock
    Lennox havoc s30
    Elk m1
    Insteon with ISY
    DoorBird video doorbell (currency using August but really unhappy with performance)
    Rachio (coming this spring)
    Sonos

Would also like rooms eg famiky room, home theatre)

I’m also looking to buy and have initial remote setup done if you know of a great dealer in TORONTO, Canada or remote who will also give out the software plese PM me

If urc doesnt do this then rti and control4 seem like the next option. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-27-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 658
URC Total Control, RTI and Control4 all require programming from a custom installer. While it is possible there is someone who will give you the software the manufacturers do not allow it for those product lines. They are intended to be dealer programmed only.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-27-2017, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

got it. Taking that out of the equation. Is it a good assumption that URC cost less than rTI which cost less than C4?

Is URC capable of controlling all the items listed (if not, which ones aren't covered)? Same question for RTI and C4 (still focusing on URC as I currently understand it to be the least costly and i liked the out of the box screen layout (only saw a couple of examples)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-27-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 658
It is really hard to say. It depends what you want. All of them have an inexpensive(relatively speaking) starting point and are capable of getting expensive fast based on the size and layout of the system. On top of that labor can make up a big component of the cost which is also going to be variable. The user interfaces will all also be very different.

I would recommend talking to some dealers in your area for each system and see what the solutions they recommend look like. Have them show you demo remotes so you can see what they all look/feel like.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-28-2017, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123BigRed View Post
got it. Taking that out of the equation. Is it a good assumption that URC cost less than rTI which cost less than C4?

Is URC capable of controlling all the items listed (if not, which ones aren't covered)? Same question for RTI and C4 (still focusing on URC as I currently understand it to be the least costly and i liked the out of the box screen layout (only saw a couple of examples)
The URC system might be less expensive but that's for a reason. The first total control was complete garbage and they are completely unapologetic about it. I just don't trust them anymore. (Former Dealer).

Check out Elan as another option to Control 4. It's my preferred system for a lot of different reasons, it's robust, fast, and the software is not too hard to find just doing a google search.

You don't necessarily need a local dealer, you can do the entire thing yourself, save a ton by doing so, and have it remotely programmed just to get you going the first time.

Make a firm decision on your control system first and then choose you sub system controllers afterwards. You may have to replace 1 or 2 devices, but in the long run this is a much better solution than dealing with sub par integration which is very frustrating.

James Babin - System designer myEasytek
Last Post: Low Voltage Wiring Guide
post #6 of 8 Old 12-28-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 786
I know you are looking for ultimate control and a remote, but here are my two cents. Buy an Amazon echo dot (or a few) to control Insteon, Sonos and Rachio with ease. then you don't need to have the remote in hand to control some of your devices. I recently finished building my house and like you I was looking for a remote to control everything from the Lutron dimmers/switches to the Sonos equipment throughout the house and even the Rachio irrigation system.... and more. I was starting to sweat the small stuff until I thought to keep it simple. I purchased the Echo Dot for $30 (on sale). I ended up putting five throughout the house and they do a great job of picking up your voice from another room. No need to have a remote in hand to control almost anything. I can walk in the house with bags in my hand and with my voice turn on my TV, lights, close garage door, start playing music, etc.

For your specific equipment, I assume Insteon with the Insteon hub is like Lutron gear I have. I will have Insteon products in my theater so I'll know soon. I can control any light I want with my voice or app on my phone. "Turn on kitchen lights" or "Turn off bedroom lights". I also created scenes to turn lights on and off and specific times in the day.

I can control the Sonos system room by room using my voice and Alexa or the app on my phone. "Alexa, play holiday favorites in garage" or "Alexa play 90's music everywhere (all rooms I have Sonos)."

The Rachio system is something you should worry about the least. Once it's setup and you have a schedule set, you never really need to mess with it. It will monitor the weather and adjust its schedule as needed. But with Alexa if you want to water outside the normal schedule it's easy. You can say things like "Alexa tell Rachio to turn on Zone 4 for eight minutes". Again, you also have the app on your phone and can control the system from anywhere you have an internet connection.

I realize this doesn't answer your remote control question, but I think Alexa is a better solution to control a lot of your homes devices and leaves a actual remote to control just AV gear for the room you and the remote are in.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #7 of 8 Old 12-29-2017, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I do have several dots. And use it with the harmony hub, Sonos and insteon

While it?s cool I still find the need for an integrated app as Alexa is great for things like turn on tv or one or two lights. But for me not as good for light control (need to rennet the name for 75 different lights) or even changing channels, choosing shows on Netflix, etc

To me it?s an addition to the single app vs instead of. At least right now. I?m sure this will change as tech moves forward
post #8 of 8 Old 12-30-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
URC doesn't allow the software to be given out for Total Control. I program most of the controls systems and Total control is one of my favorites but did have some growing pains initially. It has been much improved. Although, I would suggest making your own drivers or at least modifying the URC ones. C4 and Elan have similar policies on giving out software. That doesn't mean a given dealer might give someone a copy.

You can add Alexa control to almost any of these. The difference in using a control system over what is built into Alexa and the various devices is not only can everything be done in one place and you can do real automation and not just be a glorified app or remote. Another thing to consider is using some computer based automation systems like Charked quark software.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page