Is the Harmony Elite vanishing? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 04-18-2018, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is the Harmony Elite vanishing?

My basement is almost finished, so I have been "circling the airport" on the purchase of a universal remote. I've been pretty solid on my choice of the Harmony Elite. Thing is, the remote now seems to be getting scarce. Few are in stock at Best Buy stores; buying new from Amazon seems at best, sketchy. Is there something to read in to this? 🤷🏼*♂️
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 04-18-2018, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3999 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Whatever may or may not be coming, it's a fair bet it won't add much in the way of functionality. So I'd just get the Elite and be happy.
post #3 of 39 Old 04-19-2018, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Whatever may or may not be coming, it's a fair bet it won't add much in the way of functionality. So I'd just get the Elite and be happy.
Was thinking the same... but they're getting difficult to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 04-19-2018, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3999 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jornknut View Post
Was thinking the same... but they're getting difficult to find.
BestBuy seems to have a good supply
post #5 of 39 Old 04-20-2018, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I purchased one last week from Best Buy for the main floor viewing area. Seems like a decent remote, the wife loves it for the ease of use. Setup was a breeze really. I am glad I purchased and wish I had done so about a year earlier.
post #6 of 39 Old 09-07-2018, 01:42 PM
CHG
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anybody hear any new updates? Seems like the Elite has been out for a few years now. Best Buy shows the Elite and Harmony smart control as clearance, under featured products.

Have one Elite now, but am looking to replace a Harmony One. Was hoping for better battery life, and maybe some other upgrades.
post #7 of 39 Old 09-07-2018, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3194 Post(s)
Liked: 1463
Logitech's last FCC filing for a remote was back in 2017. We'd usually see an FCC filing ahead of any new product release. But there are none. So if a new model is in the works, it's more than a few months from release.

Perhaps sales aren't good enough through other channels or they have some exclusive agreement with just a few big retailers now. Who knows. In any case, I wouldn't read too much into it until Best Buy inventories dry up.
post #8 of 39 Old 09-12-2018, 09:53 PM
CHG
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Logitech's last FCC filing for a remote was back in 2017. We'd usually see an FCC filing ahead of any new product release. But there are none. So if a new model is in the works, it's more than a few months from release.

Perhaps sales aren't good enough through other channels or they have some exclusive agreement with just a few big retailers now. Who knows. In any case, I wouldn't read too much into it until Best Buy inventories dry up.
Thanks. Guess I'll go ahead and pick one up.
post #9 of 39 Old 09-14-2018, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I can't stand the Elite layout. Not enough buttons. Not enough IR emitters, still holding onto a 890rf. They can't bring out a new remote fast enough.
toddman36 likes this.
post #10 of 39 Old 09-17-2018, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
I can't stand the Elite layout. Not enough buttons. Not enough IR emitters, still holding onto a 890rf. They can't bring out a new remote fast enough.

can you still only program the 890 with windows xp?
post #11 of 39 Old 09-18-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman62 View Post
can you still only program the 890 with windows xp?
You can program the 890 in the following OS's:
Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP (or older), Mac OS X 10.8.x, Mac OS X 10.9.x, Mac OS X 10.7.x, Mac OS X 10.6.x, Mac OS X 10.10.x, Mac OS X 10.11.x, Mac OS X 10.12.x, Mac OS X 10.13.x

I wouldn't count on the next model having any more buttons than the Elite, probably fewer.
post #12 of 39 Old 09-18-2018, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP (or older), Mac OS X 10.8.x, Mac OS X 10.9.x, Mac OS X 10.7.x, Mac OS X 10.6.x, Mac OS X 10.10.x, Mac OS X 10.11.x, Mac OS X 10.12.x, Mac OS X 10.13.x

I wouldn't count on the next model having any more buttons than the Elite, probably fewer.

thanks that's good to know. I might dig out my old ones and redo them. just don't know if they are worth it since they are almost 10 years old
post #13 of 39 Old 09-18-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman62 View Post
thanks that's good to know. I might dig out my old ones and redo them. just don't know if they are worth it since they are almost 10 years old
I don't use Harmony myself, but I still have universals in use that are nearly 20 years old. Don't retire your remotes due to age alone. Retire them when they stop working and cannot be repaired. The beauty of a universal remote is that you can always add the very latest codes for your new devices. Doesn't matter how old the remote is.

As you already know, every Harmony model since the 890 has had less buttons or less functionality. (The One lost RF, and the 900 lost macros/sequences). Yes, the Elite adds bluetooth, wifi, zigbee, etc. But it doesn't even have dedicated skip buttons, making it useless for everyday tasks (yes, I know about the long press and gestures workarounds - not interested).

If Harmony ever does come out with a fully functional remote (full array of hard buttons, editable activity macros, etc.), I'll be the first in line. But I don't think that's in the cards.
vivatech, newfmp3 and rramacha like this.
post #14 of 39 Old 09-18-2018, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Don't retire your remotes due to age alone. Retire them when they stop working and cannot be repaired. The beauty of a universal remote is that you can always add the very latest codes for your new devices. Doesn't matter how old the remote is.

yeah this. my dad is still using an ancient harmony remote i set up for him YEARS ago.

as far as "new remotes". it is a possibility that since seemingly every piece of electronics comes with an app to control it now, that is eating a bit into their marketplace. i know i have ditched my urc setup.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #15 of 39 Old 09-18-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post
as far as "new remotes". it is a possibility that since seemingly every piece of electronics comes with an app to control it now, that is eating a bit into their marketplace. i know i have ditched my urc setup.
Yeah, but you've just switched from juggling physical remotes to juggling apps. Universals (or universal apps) still have their place. I have no desire to use a dozen apps to control my system or forego macros for group power and input switching. I personally use a single universal remote app to control everything (media, lights, thermostats, etc.) from a phone/tablet/PC. But I also want to be able to pick up a hard button universal when my phone is charging or otherwise in use. I'm not ditching my traditional (JP1) universals anytime soon.
newfmp3 and pjp like this.
post #16 of 39 Old 09-18-2018, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Yeah, but you've just switched from juggling physical remotes to juggling apps. Universals (or universal apps) still have their place. I have no desire to use a dozen apps to control my system or forego macros for group power and input switching. I personally use a single universal remote app to control everything (media, lights, thermostats, etc.) from a phone/tablet/PC. But I also want to be able to pick up a hard button universal when my phone is charging or otherwise in use. I'm not ditching my traditional (JP1) universals anytime soon.

fair enough point. i've got everything set up so that it basically isn't any more difficult than using an universal remote, but i don't use many input devices.

i control all my lighting from apps too. so i guess i've just gotten used to it. i took an old ipad, mounted it to a tripod, and put it next to my chair. it's pretty easy just to push the app buttons.

it took me quite awhile before i ditched my urc setup.
HerbieHightower likes this.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #17 of 39 Old 09-19-2018, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 355
mdavej pretty much covered everything I was going to say!
post #18 of 39 Old 09-19-2018, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have a Harmony (or two, or three) and think they’re very good.

The challenge is voice control built into a number of TV and cable boxes, as well as CEC becoming good enough. Also, most devices are becoming RF by default with IR and line of sight becoming second class.

The fact is that if I want to watch TV I can pick up the Xfinity remote, the LG remote, or the Harmony remote and they all do the job just fine.

Unless Harmony adds voice, RF, and understanding when CEC is at play, they’ll be on their way out.
HerbieHightower likes this.
post #19 of 39 Old 10-01-2018, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Questions about running multiple Elite remotes. My home has 3 levels and basically three zones. each zone has its own media cabinet for equipment on that floor. I can place the hub in middle of the home and all devices should be in close proximity, but in regards to IR/RF, I'm not sure how this works. In the master, I will have a TV in my room, but equipment behind that wall in closet, expected to just be an AVR and TIVO mini. My question is how do those devices connect to the Remote? The hub will be downstairs so I can't do wires, and would like to have the TV/AVR/TIVO on RF if possible. Do I need a second hub and if so, are they linked or does it become a big cumbersome mess with smart home devices, i.e. locks, cameras, doorbell, etc?
post #20 of 39 Old 10-02-2018, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich C View Post
I have a Harmony (or two, or three) and think they’re very good.

The challenge is voice control built into a number of TV and cable boxes, as well as CEC becoming good enough. Also, most devices are becoming RF by default with IR and line of sight becoming second class.

The fact is that if I want to watch TV I can pick up the Xfinity remote, the LG remote, or the Harmony remote and they all do the job just fine.

Unless Harmony adds voice, RF, and understanding when CEC is at play, they’ll be on their way out.
To control a single TV yes any single remote can and pretty much always has been able to do that. But the xfinity or LG can't control an entire home theater with a rack full of components and a TV or projector and have different screens to control different devices and custom activities that start up the right components at the right time and set all devices to the correct inputs and settings. Sure if you just want to watch TV then a Harmony is overkill and I can't see spending around $250 on a remote, but if you need to do more than just watch TV then the xfinity or LG remote won't cut it.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #21 of 39 Old 10-02-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
To control a single TV yes any single remote can and pretty much always has been able to do that. But the xfinity or LG can't control an entire home theater with a rack full of components and a TV or projector and have different screens to control different devices and custom activities that start up the right components at the right time and set all devices to the correct inputs and settings. Sure if you just want to watch TV then a Harmony is overkill and I can't see spending around $250 on a remote, but if you need to do more than just watch TV then the xfinity or LG remote won't cut it.
I think we see things the same way. The use case you describe is representative of enthusiast setups, but not necessarily mainstream TV setups. Today, having a cable box, a Roku/Fire/Apple, and a few game consoles plus a soundbar is maximum density for a mainstream home, where CEC is probably sufficient. Ironically, the Harmony name comes from the idea of the domestic harmony the product creates because presumably the person in the house who built the AV setup is the only one who can operate it without a simple universal remote.

As “good enough” and voice controlled remotes become more mainstream, the Harmony is becoming more niche. My point is mainly about the decreasing size of the Harmony market as these dynamics play themselves out.
post #22 of 39 Old 10-02-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod220 View Post
Questions about running multiple Elite remotes. My home has 3 levels and basically three zones. each zone has its own media cabinet for equipment on that floor. I can place the hub in middle of the home and all devices should be in close proximity, but in regards to IR/RF, I'm not sure how this works. In the master, I will have a TV in my room, but equipment behind that wall in closet, expected to just be an AVR and TIVO mini. My question is how do those devices connect to the Remote? The hub will be downstairs so I can't do wires, and would like to have the TV/AVR/TIVO on RF if possible. Do I need a second hub and if so, are they linked or does it become a big cumbersome mess with smart home devices, i.e. locks, cameras, doorbell, etc?
You need a remote and hub for each zone for all practical purposes.

Integration with smart home devices will be easiest if you keep them separated by zone as well. IMO Harmony is a decent auxiliary smart home controller, but no substitute for Alexa or Google, along with Smart Things, Wink, etc.

Last edited by Rich C; 10-02-2018 at 05:08 PM.
post #23 of 39 Old 10-03-2018, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich C View Post
I think we see things the same way. The use case you describe is representative of enthusiast setups, but not necessarily mainstream TV setups. Today, having a cable box, a Roku/Fire/Apple, and a few game consoles plus a soundbar is maximum density for a mainstream home, where CEC is probably sufficient. Ironically, the Harmony name comes from the idea of the domestic harmony the product creates because presumably the person in the house who built the AV setup is the only one who can operate it without a simple universal remote.

As “good enough” and voice controlled remotes become more mainstream, the Harmony is becoming more niche. My point is mainly about the decreasing size of the Harmony market as these dynamics play themselves out.
The Harmony Elite at $250 is more of the thing enthusiast buy. The average gamer and streamer who pays $30-$50 for Roku and Amazon Fire sticks, has an XBox or PS4 and has cut the cord from cable isn't really spending $250 on a remote control. Those are the people that would rather just have a bunch of remotes and manually switch to another in input on their display than spend this kind of money on a remote.

I've been using Harmony remotes since the days of the 890 and in all those years I haven't worked or spoken to a single person outside of AVS who has a Harmony remote. Most people laugh when I tell them I've spent $250 on a remote. My point is I don't think it's going away because it's always been a niche product for those willing to spend a lot for a remote and will just continue to be one. Also based on the price Harmony is still offering the same discounts they've been doing for years. I would think if you're product is heavily loosing sales you'd heavily discount it, but they aren't.

Last edited by Legairre; 10-03-2018 at 08:55 AM.
post #24 of 39 Old 10-03-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Just a nitpick, but depending on the model, you could probably make the Xfinity remote do all of the above if you add a JP1 cable and use Remote Master. I control 18 devices, including lighting and custom "activity" macros for power and input switching, with a free cable TV remote designed for 4 devices. Not something the average person could or would do, but certainly in the realm of possibility if you have the skills and software to do it.
post #25 of 39 Old 10-03-2018, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just a nitpick, but depending on the model, you could probably make the Xfinity remote do all of the above if you add a JP1 cable and use Remote Master. I control 18 devices, including lighting and custom "activity" macros for power and input switching, with a free cable TV remote designed for 4 devices. Not something the average person could or would do, but certainly in the realm of possibility if you have the skills and software to do it.
No not a nitpick at all. Sure guys like you and I who are good with software and hardware can get a remote like the xFinity remote to do a lot with a lot of devices. Like you said it's not something the average person is going to do. Most people would rather deal with several remotes than buy a Harmony Elite or try getting a remote like the xFinity to do what you've done.

post #26 of 39 Old 10-09-2018, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I dont have anything that uses the numbers. I have internet only with Channels DVR along with DirecTV Now running on an Apple TV 4k. The Elite is absolutely perfect for what I use it for. I think once folks leave cable the need for numbers will drop.
post #27 of 39 Old 11-15-2018, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Vanishing ?

Best Buy's app now shows a slightly lower price, but online only: "not available in stores".

Maybe everyone who needs it
already has it.

Carl
post #28 of 39 Old 11-15-2018, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
I don't use Harmony myself, but I still have universals in use that are nearly 20 years old. Don't retire your remotes due to age alone. Retire them when they stop working and cannot be repaired. The beauty of a universal remote is that you can always add the very latest codes for your new devices. Doesn't matter how old the remote is.

As you already know, every Harmony model since the 890 has had less buttons or less functionality. (The One lost RF, and the 900 lost macros/sequences). Yes, the Elite adds bluetooth, wifi, zigbee, etc. But it doesn't even have dedicated skip buttons, making it useless for everyday tasks (yes, I know about the long press and gestures workarounds - not interested).

If Harmony ever does come out with a fully functional remote (full array of hard buttons, editable activity macros, etc.), I'll be the first in line. But I don't think that's in the cards.
mdavej, you have been a HUGE help with all things remote, but c'mon...not having dedicated skip buttons make the remote "useless for every day tasks"???
I have had nearly every remote from Harmony and a few other companies since the 880 and the Elite is by FAR my favorite. And count me in on the people who LOVE that the damn real estate hogging number pad is relegated to a screen! :-)
post #29 of 39 Old 11-15-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
mdavej, you have been a HUGE help with all things remote, but c'mon...not having dedicated skip buttons make the remote "useless for every day tasks"???
I have had nearly every remote from Harmony and a few other companies since the 880 and the Elite is by FAR my favorite. And count me in on the people who LOVE that the damn real estate hogging number pad is relegated to a screen! :-)
I couldn't care less about the num pad either. But skip fwd/back are probably my most used functions on nearly every device. I can't imagine ever buying a remote without them. They need dedicated hard buttons just like arrows, channels, play, etc.

I'm sure the Elite is awesome in every other respect, but I'm still not interested until they offer something with skip buttons. They'd be so simple to add.
post #30 of 39 Old 11-15-2018, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
I couldn't care less about the num pad either. But skip fwd/back are probably my most used functions on nearly every device. I can't imagine ever buying a remote without them. They need dedicated hard buttons just like arrows, channels, play, etc.

I'm sure the Elite is awesome in every other respect, but I'm still not interested until they offer something with skip buttons. They'd be so simple to add.
I have the Elite (actually the 950, plus a hub from the Harmony Smart Control) and I have repurposed the Record and Stop buttons. The Record button is Skip Back on the short press/Record on the long press. The Stop button is Skip Forward on the short press/Stop on the long press. Works great.
mdavej and madhuski like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page