Harmony Hub and Insteon Lights Help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 12-24-2018, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Harmony Hub and Insteon Lights Help

Hello,

Can my Harmony remote/hub dim the lights on and off when I start, stop, and pause a movie? I can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-24-2018, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 118
You would need an automation controller inbetween the Harmony Hub and an Insteon hub.
The Harmony would have a macro button programmed to "Start Movie".
the Harmony hub would then send a message to the automation controller.
within the automation controller (myServer, CQC, Homeseer, etc) would be a macro to "tell ISY to turn the theater overhead lights dim"
The Insteon hub (ISY as example) would then process the request to the Insteon lights in the theater.

You can't control Insteon directly from Harmony.
I don't think you can control an Insteon hub directly from Harmony either.
You need the automation controller in the middle.

So, Here is what will work:

Harmony remote > RF > Harmony Hub > TCP > myServer controller > TCP > ISY hub > RF > Insteon light switch.

Once you have a setup like that...you can do a tremendous amount of "things".

Last edited by smoothtlk; 12-24-2018 at 08:03 AM.
post #3 of 24 Old 12-24-2018, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

The Insteon lights turn on and off when I start or end an "Activity" with my Harmony remote. I thought I could some how turn the lights on when I pause or stop the movie and turn the lights off when I press play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 12-24-2018, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoolittle View Post
The Insteon lights turn on and off when I start or end an "Activity" with my Harmony remote. I thought I could some how turn the lights on when I pause or stop the movie and turn the lights off when I press play.
Ok, I guess I don't understand how you got that far. Using IFTTT or something like that? What Insteon controller are you using? ISY?

EDIT https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...eon#compatible
I didn't realize Harmony would connect natively to an insteon hub. Of course this documentation is terrible. I haven't looked any further to see what else is out there.

Last edited by smoothtlk; 12-24-2018 at 08:52 AM.
post #5 of 24 Old 12-24-2018, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 253
post #6 of 24 Old 12-24-2018, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I thought that perhaps you could make a "sequence" that dims the lights and also activates the play button. I just checked and you can assign a sequence to a hard button as well as a screen button, but I could not see that you can include a home control command in a sequence. I have an Insteon Hub and a Harmony Elite with Hub.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
post #7 of 24 Old 12-24-2018, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
Can you explain how it works in conjunction with the harmony remote? These are discounted, but I'll search hi and low if it's the fix I'm looking for.
post #8 of 24 Old 12-24-2018, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Can you explain how it works in conjunction with the harmony remote? These are discounted, but I'll search hi and low if it's the fix I'm looking for.
Sure, It takes an IR command and then converts it to insteon and then transmits it via your house wiring to control insteon devices. the harmony remote sees it as an IR device not home automation. i used to use it a lot, but use alexa more and more lately. I paid the full retail YEARS ago before Alexa was even close to being popular
post #9 of 24 Old 12-24-2018, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sure, It takes an IR command and then converts it to insteon and then transmits it via your house wiring to control insteon devices. the harmony remote sees it as an IR device not home automation. i used to use it a lot, but use alexa more and more lately. I paid the full retail YEARS ago before Alexa was even close to being popular
I bought one on eBay. I'm sure I'll have questions once it comes in.

Does Alexa control the lights and DVD player at the same time? Can you say pause, and the movie pauses and the lights come on?
post #10 of 24 Old 12-25-2018, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I bought one on eBay. I'm sure I'll have questions once it comes in.

Does Alexa control the lights and DVD player at the same time? Can you say pause, and the movie pauses and the lights come on?
I don't have it set up like that, but I think that would be a sequence and you should be able to do that. Maybe a "short press" for a pause, and a "long press" for a pause with certain lights coming on?

EDIT: Confirmed, I just went into the desktop software and created a sequence using my 4Ktivo as the test subject. I created a sequence called "pause with lights" (pretty original, huh) and assigned it to a "long press" of the pause button. I left the "short press" as a regular pause. I see no reason why you could not do the same with the "play" button for resuming and turning off lights..

Such is the life of an AVS addict on x-mas morning when the family is still sleeping... :-)

damn...you got one for $22? I would have bought one as a spare for that price!

Last edited by ipca204; 12-25-2018 at 04:28 AM.
post #11 of 24 Old 12-25-2018, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shs1234 View Post
I thought that perhaps you could make a "sequence" that dims the lights and also activates the play button. I just checked and you can assign a sequence to a hard button as well as a screen button, but I could not see that you can include a home control command in a sequence. I have an Insteon Hub and a Harmony Elite with Hub.
yep, that was the issue i had when i first started using the Elite. (I bought it the day it was released) That's what led me to look at the insteon 2411r as it does not show up as a home control device. I also thought the hub integration with insteon was clunky to use and to this day don't have my hub connected to my insteon controller..
post #12 of 24 Old 12-26-2018, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't have it set up like that, but I think that would be a sequence and you should be able to do that. Maybe a "short press" for a pause, and a "long press" for a pause with certain lights coming on?

EDIT: Confirmed, I just went into the desktop software and created a sequence using my 4Ktivo as the test subject. I created a sequence called "pause with lights" (pretty original, huh) and assigned it to a "long press" of the pause button. I left the "short press" as a regular pause. I see no reason why you could not do the same with the "play" button for resuming and turning off lights..

Such is the life of an AVS addict on x-mas morning when the family is still sleeping... :-)

damn...you got one for $22? I would have bought one as a spare for that price!
How do you know I paid $22, haha?

You went into the software for the Harmony remote to set the lighting up on the "long press"?

Last edited by MrZoolittle; 12-26-2018 at 06:08 AM.
post #13 of 24 Old 12-26-2018, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
How do you know I paid $22, haha?

You went into the software for the Harmony remote to set the lighting up on the "long press"?
yes, I do all my editing on a windows computer for the Elite. Makes it soooo much easier than dealing with the app, which I am not a fan of..
$22...sheesh...you will be amazed at how much that thing is going to help you..
post #14 of 24 Old 12-27-2018, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
yes, I do all my editing on a windows computer for the Elite. Makes it soooo much easier than dealing with the app, which I am not a fan of..
$22...sheesh...you will be amazed at how much that thing is going to help you..
The device has be added to my Insteon app. What is my next step to getting my lights set up? This thing didn't come with instructions. Silly eBay.
post #15 of 24 Old 12-28-2018, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Update- I removed the 2411R from the Insteon Hub. With the eBay sellers help I was able to teach the Insteon credit card remote how to turn lights on/off and dim.

Now, how do I teach/program my Harmony remote to turn the lights on and off using play and pause?
post #16 of 24 Old 12-29-2018, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

post #17 of 24 Old 12-29-2018, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I printed that out and read through it. Still confused.
post #18 of 24 Old 12-29-2018, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I printed that out and read through it. Still confused.
If no-one chimes in before the 7th, I will be happy to help you, but as I don't have access to my account right now, anything I say could make it worse...I understand what you want to do as I tested it before I left, it's just a matter of getting you the settings..
post #19 of 24 Old 12-30-2018, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If no-one chimes in before the 7th, I will be happy to help you, but as I don't have access to my account right now, anything I say could make it worse...I understand what you want to do as I tested it before I left, it's just a matter of getting you the settings..
Which remote do you have? I have the Smart Control with hub. Do you think it would matter which remote I have?
post #20 of 24 Old 12-30-2018, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Which remote do you have? I have the Smart Control with hub. Do you think it would matter which remote I have?
I have the elite AND smart control paired to my hub..
post #21 of 24 Old 01-13-2019, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

I'm trying to teach my Harmony remote to turn the lights on and off following the directions on page 6 of the 2411R owners manual, but it's not working. What am I doing wrong?
post #22 of 24 Old 12-08-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Did you ever figure out how to do this? I'd like to have my lights go off when I hit play on my Harmony, then come on with pause or stop.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #23 of 24 Old 06-22-2020, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Hi,

I see this conversation is a bit old but I've been trying to figure this put for weeks now. I don't see how to add a Home Control device to a Harmony sequence (on the mobile app. Can't have the desktop software on the work computer). When I try to do so the only devices that Harmony lists in the selection list are the non Home Control ones, like the BR player. So lights cannot be selected, nor can any home control devices.

I also have a SmartThings hub and can't find a way with it either. Inside ST you can see Harmony activities but not devices, and if the activity is on or off. That's it.

Very confusing. Please let me know if you found a way.

Thanks,
Steve

JVC NX7 with Seymour Center Stage UF 120” 16:9 Screen
KEF R7 (LCR), KEF Ci200RS THX (Sr x4), KEF C1200QS (At x4)
HSU VTF15-MK2 (x2)
Denon 4300H (7.2.4 Mode), Rotel 1075 Amps (x2)
Coming Soon: BOSS Platforms!
post #24 of 24 Old 06-22-2020, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harddrive2 View Post
Hi,

I see this conversation is a bit old but I've been trying to figure this put for weeks now. I don't see how to add a Home Control device to a Harmony sequence (on the mobile app. Can't have the desktop software on the work computer). When I try to do so the only devices that Harmony lists in the selection list are the non Home Control ones, like the BR player. So lights cannot be selected, nor can any home control devices.

I also have a SmartThings hub and can't find a way with it either. Inside ST you can see Harmony activities but not devices, and if the activity is on or off. That's it.

Very confusing. Please let me know if you found a way.

Thanks,
Steve
can't help you as my lights are controlled by an insteon IR device..sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page