Universal Remote for Vizio/Converter Box/AFTV/Roku ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 03-06-2019, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Universal Remote for Vizio/Converter Box/AFTV/Roku ?

So the OTA tuner on my old Vizio V0420E went bad. I was able to get OTA working again with a Ematic AT103B Digital Converter Box.

Now to watch OTA tv I need to use both the Vizio & Ematic remotes.

Buttons used:
Vizio Remote: Power, TV, HDMI, COM, AV, Input, VOL+-, Mute, Menu, Last
Ematic Remote: Standby, Mute, Recall, CH+-, OK, Menu, EPG, Info, Exit, #'s, -

I'm looking for and old school Universal remote that can control both the Vizio & Ematic or one that can control the Vizio, Ematic, AFTV, ROKU.

By "oldschool" I mean one that has just enough buttons to control each device.

IE: A universal remote that can control both the Vizio & Ematic.

Power | Device 1 Ematic | Device 2 Vizio
VOL+- | CH +- | Mute | Last | Menu

I'd press device 1, then Power to turn on Ematic. Next I'd press Device 2, then Power to turn the Vizio on. To make adjustments to either I'd press either Device 1 or 2, to do it.

So I need a remote that can provide the necessary buttons to control each. I do not want a touch or digital remote.

Vizio Remote can be seen here: http://cdn.vizio.com/manuals/kb/legacy/vo420emanual.pdf
Ematic Remote can be seen here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/69...?page=6#manual

Although I'm used to the AFTV & ROKU remotes, a universal remote would also nice if it was possible. So what I do now is use 4 (5) remotes.
Vizio 1 & 2 for TV settings, Input selection: EX. TV (OTA), HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3, RGB (Laptop)
Ematic to control the OTA channels
AFTV
ROKU

Is there a old school style remote that can control the Vizio, Ematic, AFTV, ROKU?

Eventually I will be connecting my BluRay player, but that isn't needed ATM. If the universal remote controlled that it would be fine, but it's not necessary.

What Universal Remotes should I look at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 03-06-2019, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 425
In the living room I use a Harmony 650. It is great, but won't work Fire tv. It will do everything else, no problem. If you've never used it, the My Harmony online software tool is pretty cool. You enter all your devices, set up whatever you want it to do and it uploads to the remote via usb.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harm...s%2C238&sr=8-1

In the bedroom I use the Inteset 4in1. It is only four but will run Fire tv. It is pre programmed for Roku. Anything else, it will "learn" from the original remote. If it did more than 4, I would take it over the Harmony. But I need like 6-7 in the living room. For about $30, each of these should work. I just can't see spending hundreds on a remote. Good luck.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
pjp likes this.
post #3 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2996 Post(s)
Liked: 1343
What is "AFTV" a Fire stick or Fire TV box?

Is your Roku a stick?

No "old school" remote can control either of those out of the box. But you can buy an IR receiver for Fire TV so it works with an IR remote. I use the Inteset IReTV on my Fire TV devices. Nothing can be done for a Roku stick. But any other Roku model EXCEPT the stick will work fine with any universal.

I second the previous poster's recommendations. But the newer 665 is probably more readily available. The Inteset is killer, especially if you get a JP1 cable for it. But it's not necessary unless you want to add some really advanced functionality.
MRAYB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Harmony 650 sounds interesting with the USB setup software. But having the LCD screen, and not working with FireTV are deal breakers.

When I was looking around earlier for Universal Remotes I also stumbled onto the Inteset Remotes. Inteset INT-422-3 & Inteset INT-422-2
Is there big difference between them?

I like that they have 4 pre-programmed devices, that I can change if needed.
AppleTV changes to AFTV
XBOX changes to Tuner Box
KODI changes to TV (VIZIO)
ROKU

They do have more buttons than I want (see image). But in general something I can use.

Are there any others similar to them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	modified controller.png
Views:	11
Size:	818.0 KB
ID:	2535718  
post #5 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
What is "AFTV" a Fire stick or Fire TV box? Is your Roku a stick?
Fire TV Box & Roku Box.

Sorry but I always think boxes & remotes go hand in hand. lol
post #6 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 11:12 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
The Harmony 650 sounds interesting with the USB setup software. But having the LCD screen, and not working with FireTV are deal breakers.
I'm curious what you don't like about the LCD screen. In most cases, the LCD is the coolest part of a Harmony because you can custom program/label those buttons for each activity. I think, not positive, that Harmony will control a Fire TV box.

The 650/655 Harmony remotes are IR only, so they can't control any "stick" devices that don't have an IR receiver (stick devices they are typically meant to be plugged in behind the TV so there is no line of sight for IR).
post #7 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:

When I was looking around earlier for Universal Remotes I also stumbled onto the Inteset Remotes. Inteset INT-422-3 & Inteset INT-422-2
Is there big difference between them?

I like that they have 4 pre-programmed devices, that I can change if needed.
AppleTV changes to AFTVQuote
XBOX changes to Tuner Box
KODI changes to TV (VIZIO)
ROKU

They do have more buttons than I want (see image). But in general something I can use.

Are there any others similar to them?
The buttons you have crossed out can be used to program a "macro" function or what Harmony calls an "activity". Like mine I use the red button to -- turn tv on at HDMI2>then soundbar on>then fire tv home. So if you put fire tv as "A" up top, hit "A" and fire tv is controlling everything. I use blue button--tv on antenna>soundbar on>for local tv. Being as it is already pre programmed with Roku, and you really only need 4 devices, this would work great.
Also you can teach it anything you want, especially easy since you have all the original remotes. The Harmony online software is great because you can "see" what you are programming. The Inteset just goes by blinks of the led light. takes a little practice, but easy once you get the hang of it. As long as your Ematic box works(should?) you could have this thing doing everything but bringing you a beer!

Last edited by MRAYB; 03-07-2019 at 11:49 AM.
post #8 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 11:48 AM

https://www.universalremotes.net/int...de-lookup.html

Don't see Ematic listed anywhere. But like I said, if you have the original remote, you could teach the Inteset everything you need.
post #9 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I'm curious what you don't like about the LCD screen. In most cases, the LCD is the coolest part of a Harmony because you can custom program/label those buttons for each activity. I think, not positive, that Harmony will control a Fire TV box.
I personally get sick at looking at LCD screens. So having one in my remote control isn't ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
The buttons you have crossed out can be used to program a "macro" function or what Harmony calls an "activity". Like mine I use the red button to -- turn tv on at HDMI2>then soundbar on>then fire tv home. So if you put fire tv as "A" up top, hit "A" and fire tv is controlling everything. I use blue button--tv on antenna>soundbar on>for local tv. Being as it is already pre programmed with Roku, and you really only need 4 devices, this would work great.
Also you can teach it anything you want, especially easy since you have all the original remotes. The Harmony online software is great because you can "see" what you are programming. The Inteset just goes by blinks of the led light. takes a little practice, but easy once you get the hang of it. As long as your Ematic box works(should?) you could have this thing doing everything but bringing you a beer!
If I'm understanding the "macro" functions correctly, it's not a feature I really need.

All I want is to have control of at least 4 devices: Vizio, Ematic, AFTV box, ROKU box.
IE: Buttons for
(A) AFTV (B) Ematic (C) Vizio (D) ROKU (X) POWER
Directional arrow pad
Select button
Info/Guide button
Menu
Exit
Mute
Recall/Previous CH button
CH + - button
VOL + - button
FF/RW
Play/Pause
Record
Stop

I have all 4 working remotes that a Universal Remote can learn from.

Quote:
https://www.universalremotes.net/int...de-lookup.html

Don't see Ematic listed anywhere. But like I said, if you have the original remote, you could teach the Inteset everything you need.
I didn't see it listed there either. But since this box is "popular" I hope it would work.
post #10 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 12:40 PM

IN2tv buddy a "macro" is just a way to fire up your whole system with just one button press, with whichever button YOU designate on the Inteset with everything at start up where you want it. It is a very nice feature. Instead of -push tv power on- then ematic box on- then fire tv home- then soundbar on... just push"red" all will come on where YOU told them to.

All your "wants" listed would be a piece of cake with the Inteset.

Check out some of these reviews/videos on youtube. Once you get it figured out, you will love it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...iversal+remote
post #11 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 01:16 PM

Well man, if you are not into LCD screens or learning how to program a remote to do anything you want, I guess you are going to be stuck with four remotes. Just saying....
post #12 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 01:41 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

The beauty of the Harmony is that when you say "Watch TV", it will power up all the devices, select all the inputs, and then all of the buttons on the remote become dedicated to watching TV. If you then hit "Watch Roku", it powers up or down whatever is needed (if they aren't powered on already), selects all the inputs, and then all of the buttons are automatically tailored to watching Roku. This is where the LCD comes in handy. Instead of those four buttons being hardcoded to fixed functions as they would be on a non-LCD remote, those buttons can be different in "Watch TV" mode than they are in "Watch Roku" mode. For example, while watching Roku, you might decide to add "Netflix", "Hulu", and "Pandora" hot buttons on the LCD, but those would not appear for when you were watching cable TV since they aren't relevant to cable. Also, while the LCD only displays 4 buttons at a time on the 650/655, you can scroll through multiple screens if you need more than 4 custom buttons for a given activity.

I don't know anything about the Inteset remotes, sounds like they can be pretty cool also, but the Harmony is very unique in the way it automatically becomes custom tailored to each individual activity.

Last edited by pjp; 03-07-2019 at 02:22 PM.
post #13 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
The beauty of the Harmony is that when you say "Watch TV", it will power up all the devices, select all the inputs, and then all of the buttons on the remote become dedicated to watching TV. If you then hit "Watch Roku", it powers up or down whatever is needed (if they aren't powered on already), selects all the inputs, and then all of the buttons are automatically tailored to watching Roku. This is where the LCD comes in handy. Instead of those four buttons being hardcoded to fixed functions as they would be on a non-LCD remote, those buttons can be different in "Watch TV" mode than they are in "Watch Roku" mode. For example, while watching Roku, you might decide to add "Netflix", "Hulu", and "Pandora" hot buttons on the LCD, but those would not appear for when you were watching cable TV since they aren't relevant to cable. Also, while the LCD only displays 4 buttons at a time on the 650/655, you can scroll through multiple screens if you need more than 4 custom buttons for a given activity.

I don't know anything about the Inteset remotes, sounds like they can be pretty cool also, but the Harmony is very unique in the way it automatically becomes custom tailored to each individual activity.
Inteset does the same but no screen. Can have "activity" macros on any button and be as complex as you want. You'd just have to memorize that long press of "C" is watch Hulu, and long press of "B" is watch Netflix, etc.

But OP doesn't care about any of that (even though he should, as it makes life much easier).
pjp and MRAYB like this.
post #14 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 02:33 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Inteset does the same but no screen. Can have "activity" macros on any button and be as complex as you want. You'd just have to memorize that long press of "C" is watch Hulu, and long press of "B" is watch Netflix, etc.

But OP doesn't care about any of that (even though he should, as it makes life much easier).
Thanks for the info. Is the Inteset "smart" about the power state of devices (and particularly the TV)? For example, if everything is off, and you hit watch cable on the Inteset, it knows to power up the TV, but if you then decide to watch Roku, it knows the power is already on for the TV?
post #15 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 02:38 PM

@IN2tvClassics ,

There is no practical difference between 422-2 and 3. You'll probably get 3 if you order from Amazon or directly from Inteset.

You must get an IR dongle for any cheap universal to work with Fire TV. So unless you get a very expensive BT capable remote with an LCD, like the Harmony Elite, you're going to have to buy a dongle. This is the sort of dongle you'll need: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KPPQFF8
A few others will work, but setup is more complcated. This is the simplest way.

As for remotes similar to Inteset, consider the OARUSB04G. It has fewer buttons and they're bigger and backlit. Also works with JP1 software in case you need to do any advanced programming in the future. A little tricky to set up, but we can help you.
https://www.amazon.com/One-All-OARUS.../dp/B00HNIHM5S
MRAYB likes this.

Last edited by mdavej; 03-07-2019 at 02:43 PM.
post #16 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Is the Inteset "smart" about the power state of devices (and particularly the TV)? For example, if everything is off, and you hit watch cable on the Inteset, it knows to power up the TV, but if you then decide to watch Roku, it knows the power is already on for the TV?
Yes. It is probably smarter than any of your other devices. It will do pretty much whatever you TELL it to do. All in how YOU set it up. Get it from Amazon, try it for a couple weeks, if you think it not working, return it and go back to your 4 remotes.
post #17 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Sort of.

Ideally, you'd use discrete power commands in those cases (OP's Vizio has those available, so should not be an issue). So even if the TV is already on, it will not toggle off if another discrete on is sent, which is different than a normal power toggle command would behave. Same goes for the off state and discrete input selections, no change in state if the device is already in the desired state.

If you don't have discrete commands available, you can, with Remote Master, set up power and input state tracking that works like Harmony. We call those tracking bits ToadTog bits, and that's a feature of the extender program that can be loaded into the Inteset and other JP1 remotes. Unless you're a genius, you'd probably need expert help from a JP1 user to program this feature, but it's definitely do-able. I set up an Inteset for a friend that kept track of 8 different power and input states.

So it is "smart" if you program it to be smart. It is not smart out of the box like Harmony. It doesn't have to be smart if you can use discrete commands, which most devices have these days.

Like most JP1 remotes, the Inteset can do some pretty amazing things, and even many things Harmony can't do.
- 5 functions per button (short press, long press, double press, shifted and double-shifted) - Harmony can't do that
- Nested subroutines - Harmony can't
- Conditional branching - Harmony can't
- Fast macros ~ 10 commands per second - Harmony can't
- Unlimited devices via device multiplexing - Harmony can't
- Pronto hex import - Harmony can't, unless you email codes to support and Logitech adds them for you
- Custom protocols - Harmony can't
- Key group mapping
- Any function from any device or any macro on any button
- Global and device specific macros
- Volume and channel punch thru
- Learning
- Can do more macros than Harmony (Harmony is limited to 256 last time I checked)
- Locally save and load config files - Harmony can't
- Run programming software on Linux and Arduino in addition to Mac and PC

All of that for $15-$25. Those are the reasons I've been a JP1 nut for 20 years and counting.
pjp likes this.

Last edited by mdavej; 03-07-2019 at 03:10 PM.
post #18 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 02:59 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... So it is "smart" if you program it to be smart. It is not smart out of the box like Harmony. It doesn't have to be smart if you can use discrete commands, which most devices have these days.
Perfect explanation -- I understand completely

Quote:
... which most devices have these days.
Except for those friggin' cable boxes! (all of them, seemingly)
post #19 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Except for those friggin' cable boxes! (all of them, seemingly)
Yep, those and really cheap TVs. Very annoying. In those cases, I just leave them on all the time rather than bother programming the state tracking. Doesn't seem to make much difference in power consumption.

As a cord cutter, I don't have cable boxes anymore myself, thank God. My Fire stick and Recast does it all.

As far as remotes go, I recommend Harmony first because they're the easiest by far. But if you hate screens like the OP and don't mind the programming effort, JP1 is a very cheap and functional alternative. In the OP's case, there won't be much programming at all since he doesn't want any macros. I personally can't imagine using a universal remote without macros. That would drive me crazy.
post #20 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 03:29 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep, those and really cheap TVs. Very annoying...
I just bought a Nakamichi Shockwafe DTSX 7.1 soundbar -- a pretty high-end soundbar from a high-end company and it has no discreet power on or off controls . Power for the cable box and soundbar were constantly getting out of sync on activities, so I had to modify Harmony power settings to leave both on.

Agree that OP would benefit from macros.
post #21 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
IN2tv buddy a "macro" is just a way to fire up your whole system with just one button press, with whichever button YOU designate on the Inteset with everything at start up where you want it. It is a very nice feature. Instead of -push tv power on- then ematic box on- then fire tv home- then soundbar on... just push"red" all will come on where YOU told them to.

All your "wants" listed would be a piece of cake with the Inteset.

Check out some of these reviews/videos on youtube. Once you get it figured out, you will love it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...iversal+remote
I understand what you mean. But you are thinking of a "whole system". Those macro settings are overkill for what I'm working with.

Right now I use my Vizio remote for just a few things.

1. Power on tv
2. Change between inputs:
TV (OTA) ***Ematic Tuner Box***
HDMI-1 (Roku) HDMI-2 (AFTV) HDMI-3
AV1 or AV2
Comp1 or Comp2
RGB (Laptop)
3. Adjust Volume

Once I select desired input device, I use the required remote for that box.

IE: My tv is off and I want to watch AFTV, I do this:

With my Vizio remote I power on my TV, press HDMI (selecting HDMI-2). Then press the home button on my AFTV remote to wake it up.
Then I select what I want to watch. (3-4* buttons pressed across two remotes)

After I get tired of AFTV and want to watch local news I press AFTV remote home button. Then press the TV button on my Vizio remote. (2-3* buttons pressed across two remotes)

I don't believe those macro settings are needed for me. My watching setup is simple enough with very few buttons pressed (*doesn't include vol+- or ch+-).

Quote:
Well man, if you are not into LCD screens or learning how to program a remote to do anything you want, I guess you are going to be stuck with four remotes. Just saying..
I don't mind learning how to program the remote. It's the LCD screen remotes I prefer to avoid.

Quote:
@IN2tvClassics ,

There is no practical difference between 422-2 and 3. You'll probably get 3 if you order from Amazon or directly from Inteset.

You must get an IR dongle for any cheap universal to work with Fire TV. So unless you get a very expensive BT capable remote with an LCD, like the Harmony Elite, you're going to have to buy a dongle. This is the sort of dongle you'll need: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KPPQFF8
A few others will work, but setup is more complicated. This is the simplest way.

As for remotes similar to Inteset, consider the OARUSB04G. It has fewer buttons and they're bigger and backlit. Also works with JP1 software in case you need to do any advanced programming in the future. A little tricky to set up, but we can help you.
https://www.amazon.com/One-All-OARUS.../dp/B00HNIHM5S
What is the main purpose of the IR dongle? How is it powered?

Quote:

Ideally, you'd use discrete power commands in those cases (OP's Vizio has those available, so should not be an issue).
That sounds like what it does. I just want a universal remote that will also work with AFTV, Roku, Ematic. Once the desired input/device is selected all the remote buttons will be set to control that device. Nothing flashy or fancy needed. I don't need a "Smart Remote" to turn off lights, adjust sound, color, etc.
post #22 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 09:39 PM

If you simply enable HDMI CEC on your TV and other devices, you can probably do most things with a single button press without any macro programming at all. Just pressing Home on the AFTV remote would then power on your TV and switch to HDMI 2 automatically. Same story for Roku.

Your Fire TV remote is Bluetooth (radio waves). Simple universal remotes are IR (light waves). If you point a universal at your Fire TV, nothing will happen, just like nothing will happen if you try to open your garage door with your Vizio remote. The garage door has no hardware to receive IR signals. Fire TV is the same. It does not have an IR receiver at all. So you have to buy an external one and plug it in if you want to control it by IR. The power source is pretty clear from my link if you read the details.
post #23 of 40 Old 03-07-2019, 11:18 PM

Sorry IN2tv, but in your description above of what you do and how you do it with two remotes is in itself a macro function. You are pushing what 6-7 buttons on two remotes, where as with the Inteset, one button would land you at the same finishing point. It is not overkill, it is simplifying.
pjp likes this.
post #24 of 40 Old 03-08-2019, 09:30 AM

Ok buddy. I retract "whole system". A macro can include only 1 device (or 2,3,4, 5...) if that is what YOU want. Example- Tv On>Tv Ch7>Tv Volume. That is as basic as it could be. OR it could include the "whole system" and involve 10 plus steps, with 5 devices if that is what YOU program. I get the feeling you believe a macro is pre-determined..it is not. You actually have completed step 1 in that you write down what you do. I do this also. Write down the steps you want. Then by programming you are just telling the Inteset that same process to run with just one button. It does sound more complicated than it really is. Once you get the hang of it, you will never look back. Good luck.
post #25 of 40 Old 03-08-2019, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok buddy. I retract "whole system". A macro can include only 1 device (or 2,3,4, 5...) if that is what YOU want. Example- Tv On>Tv Ch7>Tv Volume. That is as basic as it could be. OR it could include the "whole system" and involve 10 plus steps, with 5 devices if that is what YOU program. I get the feeling you believe a macro is pre-determined..it is not. You actually have completed step 1 in that you write down what you do. I do this also. Write down the steps you want. Then by programming you are just telling the Inteset that same process to run with just one button. It does sound more complicated than it really is. Once you get the hang of it, you will never look back. Good luck.
Going by your example: Tv On>Tv Ch7>Tv Volume
That is more than I need the remote to do.

The only thing(s) I need to turn on are my TV & occasionally Ematic Tuner (when I turn it off). The Roku & AFTV are in standby until I switch to them, and press home.

I just want to press power on the remote and have my tv go on. Which will use the Ematic Tuner for OTA. When I press another button IE: (A) my tv will switch to my AFTV
Then the remote will be able to control all the functions of the AFTV. If I press another button IE: (B) my tv will switch to my Roku. The the remote will control the Roku, etc..

As for changing the channels & volume I can handle that. I also don't need a remote with built-in Apps like Netflix. I already have that well covered with AFTV, Roku, Laptop.

I would like a list of 5-10 Universal Remotes without LCD Screens, under $100 which would support my devices.
post #26 of 40 Old 03-09-2019, 01:23 AM

Sorry buddy, I guess I just don't understand what you are looking for. Every suggestion here seems solid. Seems you have the best possible solution already in what you are doing now.There is one more.....
post #27 of 40 Old 03-09-2019, 07:05 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I personally get sick at looking at LCD screens. So having one in my remote control isn't ideal.
I don't know if it helps, but the LCD screen is off almost all of the time on the Harmony. The only time it turns on is when you pick up the remote so that you can see what the customizable buttons are programmed to, but then it turns off again shortly after you put it down. You can also configure how long the LCD stays on for, I think the shortest interval is 5 seconds so that it shuts off almost immediately.

You can also turn off the "tilt sensor" in the configuration setting, so the LCD won't even turn on when you pick it up (I assume then the LCD only lights up when you hit a button on the remote, but that's just a guess since I have never used it with the tilt sensor off).

Also, you probably already realize this, but the LCD is not a touchscreen, there are physical buttons next to them, the LCD just labels what those buttons are for each mode.
post #28 of 40 Old 03-09-2019, 07:27 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would like a list of 5-10 Universal Remotes without LCD Screens, under $100 which would support my devices.
There aren't 5 or 10 in existence to my knowledge. There is the Harmony, which is the only truly universal smart remote available to consumers, and then there are the more purpose-built remotes discussed in this thread. If there are more, I'd love to hear about them, but I'm not aware of any.
MRAYB likes this.
post #29 of 40 Old 03-09-2019, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Also, you probably already realize this, but the LCD is not a touchscreen, there are physical buttons next to them, the LCD just labels what those buttons are for each mode.
I understand that, it's just I'm trying to avoid any confusion for the family. It will be bad enough switching out the other remotes for a new one. The presence of an LCD screen even if it only lights up for a few
seconds and turns off will cause problems. IE: What I hit? Why's it doing that? It's to fancy. I don't like it. Why don't it work like the others? etc....

Quote:
There aren't 5 or 10 in existence to my knowledge. There is the Harmony, which is the only truly universal smart remote available to consumers, and then there are the more purpose-built remotes discussed in this thread. If there are more, I'd love to hear about them, but I'm not aware of any.
I meant it would help me to see a list of at least 5, maybe up to 10 Universal Remotes to check out.

I've checked my local Wally-World and seen these listed. Would any of these remotes be worth checking out?

RCA : RCR414BHZ3V
RCA 4-Device Universal RemoteStreaming Player Compatible
https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-4-Dev...ible/237559376

GE : 41567
GE UltraPro 8-Device Universal Remote Control, Full Backlit, Black, 41567
https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-UltraP...1567/584505218

Blackweb : BWB17AV002
Blackweb 6 Device Universal Large Button Remote Control
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackweb-...trol/645316752
https://www.myblackwebremote.com/

I understand these are no "Harmony", but would they be good to try? I'd like to first see if my family likes the "convenience" of the Universal remote, before getting a $$$$ one.
post #30 of 40 Old 03-09-2019, 09:27 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I understand that, it's just I'm trying to avoid any confusion for the family. It will be bad enough switching out the other remotes for a new one. The presence of an LCD screen even if it only lights up for a few
seconds and turns off will cause problems. IE: What I hit? Why's it doing that? It's to fancy. I don't like it. Why don't it work like the others? etc....[/url]
I could see that concern if the LCD was touchscreen. I hate touchscreen TV remotes and the one I do have has buttons often hit accidentally by me and others. When it has physical buttons, there is not much confusing about the LCD. I do get the challenges in having the family adapt -- believe me, I get that.

Quote:
seconds and turns off will cause problems. IE: What I hit? Why's it doing that? It's to fancy. I don't like it. Why don't it work like the others? etc....

I meant it would help me to see a list of at least 5, maybe up to 10 Universal Remotes to check out.

I've checked my local Wally-World and seen these listed. Would any of these remotes be worth checking out?

RCA : RCR414BHZ3V
RCA 4-Device Universal RemoteStreaming Player Compatible
https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-4-Dev...ible/237559376

GE : 41567
GE UltraPro 8-Device Universal Remote Control, Full Backlit, Black, 41567
https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-UltraP...1567/584505218

Blackweb : BWB17AV002
Blackweb 6 Device Universal Large Button Remote Control
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackweb-...trol/645316752
https://www.myblackwebremote.com/

I understand these are no "Harmony", but would they be good to try? I'd like to first see if my family likes the "convenience" of the Universal remote, before getting a $$$$ one.
If you just want to do everything manually (change inputs), then any one of those cheap remotes that supports all your devices will work. These are kind of like separate remotes in one unit -- you hit cable and it is controlling the cable, you hit DVD, it is controlling the DVD. The difficult part on these though, is that every time you want to switch viewing devices, you have to hit the TV button so it is controlling the TV, change TV inputs, then hit the button of the device you are now viewing so it controls that. The biggest family issue I see in those universal remotes is that somebody left it in "TV" control mode when the next person is trying to control the cable box. If they are comfortable with all that, then sometimes simple is better, especially when you have a family to train. I would just look up all of those remotes you listed to see which ones support all your equipment, then choose the best button layout among those.

Last edited by pjp; 03-09-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
aftv , hdtv , remote , Roku , tuner box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page