Alexa - Harmony hub intermittant delays - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-13-2019, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Alexa - Harmony hub intermittant delays

I tried and couldn't find a thread dedicated to Amazon Alexa issues with Harmony Hub so my apologies if I've missed it.

I have an Amazon dot which has the Harmony skill enabled and authorized with my Harmony hub with 3 simple activities which allow my wife to use voice commands to switch input sources (cable, AppleTV, Blu-ray). I'm not using a Harmony remote. Everything works fine about 2/3rds of the time but for the other third I get intermittant delays of up to 2 mins between the time Alexa acknowledges the voice command and says 'ok' .. and the time that the hub executes the activity. I don't think its ever been longer than about 2 minutes although there's a strong urge to repeat the command .. which rarely causes it to execute any faster. This does not appear to be a device timeout issue because we can often get up in the morning after not watching anything for 10-12 hours and it will work fine the same 2/3rds of the time. And it will randomly do the delay thing even 10 minutes after doing the previous activity correctly.

I have engaged Harmony support and they have confirmed that the dot shouldn't be going to the cloud to initiate anything .. it should be direct communications between the two devices over local wireless internet. We have reloaded hub firmware; deleted dot voice recordings; disabled/enabled the Harmony skill multiple times .. with no luck. Harmony claims I'm the only one having the problem. I haven't done an exhaustive investigative study but on the few times when I've invoked the hub via the Harmony app on my phone, I don't believe I have ever experienced the delay so it appears to be a dot to hub delay. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be an easy way to isolate where the delay is happening. I have a relatively new wireless modem and swapping modems hasn't changed anything. The modem is only about 15 ft from the family room in an open concept plan. The dot never has delays when asked for the whether and I also have other non-Harmony smart plugs/devices which the dot can control and I don't believe we've even experience delayed turn on/off with those.

Anyone had this kind of problem?

Ian

My finished "Media Room"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-06-2020, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the same problem. Anyone come up with an answer for this?
post #3 of 4 Old 05-06-2020, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 209
yep, periodically I have the same issue. Have had commands take over 5 MINUTES to trigger..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-07-2020, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
My guess is networking issues, a device not be immediately recognized or found. Sometimes just rebooting your router helps. I would assign static IP addresses to the hub and as many components that I am controlling as I could. Best to do this via router settings, assigning an IP address to each MAC address.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page