Please suggest a simple remote for 2 devices (learning?) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1 of 78 Old 04-07-2019, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Please suggest a simple remote for 2 devices (learning?)

I have an MX-700 and an MX-850 learning, macro-programmable remotes. Both can be used with the same programming software (it's a neat feature, once I set up one of them, I can download the exact same file to each and they work identically!).

I recently bought three 43" TCL 4K Roku TVs and a couple Magnavox 4K MBP6700P disc players. The Magnavox 4K disc player remotes are tiny and difficult to use, especially in a dark room (as in playing a movie). I programmed the MX remotes, but am one remote shy. They are available used, but in iffy condition and not as cheap as they used to be.

I figure I can get a new learning remote that will control two devices (a TCL 43" 4K Roku TV and a Magnavox 4K disc player), cheaply... doesn't need to be programmable with macros. Basically, more than anything, it needs to be easy to use in the dark... prominent buttons, ergonomic design. And, of course, it needs to be able to control those two devices, either by learning the infrared frequencies of the commands from the devices' remotes or by punching in the appropriate code for each device.

Ideas? Thanks!

Last edited by Muse; 04-23-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 04-07-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Try looking for mx-200 on ebay, uses the same software the other mx remotes. Just have to drag the commands to mx-200.
post #3 of 78 Old 04-07-2019, 06:29 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 879
The Philips SRP5107/27 is a great little learning remote. I use a few in secondary rooms and also keep one by my wall heater in the winter. I've also set up a few for friends and family. It's pre-programmed, but whatever commands i need to add for my devices can be learned from the original remotes.

Mine is capably controlling my man room setup consisting of a Sony TV, Tivo, TWC DVR, & Onkyo AVR.

It does not have macro capability, but i don't need it on this secondary remote.

There are various versions of this

Go to eBay and enter the item number into the search field: 163442986091 or 233018026228

Or just search for Philips 5107 and the various versions will pop up. About $10 and totally worth it.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...

Last edited by RandyWalters; 04-07-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 Old 04-07-2019, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Inteset 422. Use them in bedroom and patio. If they controlled more than 4 devices, I would replace my Logitech 650 with one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #5 of 78 Old 04-07-2019, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
Inteset 422. Use them in bedroom and patio. If they controlled more than 4 devices, I would replace my Logitech 650 with one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If you're using up a device for the tv, and only need power, vol up & down, mute, and input, you could keymove the volume and mute commands to the other devices. Then use advanced codes for those commands in the tv device, you could then reprogram the tv device for whatever you wish without losing the tv commands.
MRAYB likes this.
post #6 of 78 Old 04-09-2019, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
The Philips SRP5107/27 is a great little learning remote. I use a few in secondary rooms and also keep one by my wall heater in the winter. I've also set up a few for friends and family. It's pre-programmed, but whatever commands i need to add for my devices can be learned from the original remotes.

Mine is capably controlling my man room setup consisting of a Sony TV, Tivo, TWC DVR, & Onkyo AVR.

It does not have macro capability, but i don't need it on this secondary remote.

There are various versions of this

Go to eBay and enter the item number into the search field: 163442986091 or 233018026228

Or just search for Philips 5107 and the various versions will pop up. About $10 and totally worth it.
Thanks. Looks like this will do what I want. I bought one the other day (haven't received yet) and after reading reviews at Amazon today I decided to get another, making sure it was a Philips SRP5107/27, and bought it. I just came back here and looked up the item numbers you posted and it turns out they point to the exact listing I bought from a few minutes before! A review had advised the 5107/27 version, and not used, which both of mine are supposed to be (though open box). I downloaded the manual already. I'll have two, figure I can use both immediately.

The Inteset, is less clear to me in terms of what it is/does:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
If you're using up a device for the tv, and only need power, vol up & down, mute, and input, you could keymove the volume and mute commands to the other devices. Then use advanced codes for those commands in the tv device, you could then reprogram the tv device for whatever you wish without losing the tv commands.
I'm not clear on the meaning here. You mean maybe learning some keys on one device from another and thus saving using a device option (there being a 4 device limit)?

Last edited by Muse; 04-09-2019 at 11:07 PM.
post #7 of 78 Old 04-10-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2946 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
The Inteset, is less clear to me in terms of what it is/does:

I'm not clear on the meaning here. You mean maybe learning some keys on one device from another and thus saving using a device option (there being a 4 device limit)?
Yes, that's one option. But the Inteset is far more powerful if you get a JP1 cable for it and program from a PC. Then you can access 4 additional devices (for a total of 8) as well as do unlimited devices via multiplexing. I recently programmed a JP1 remote the same as the Inteset for someone so it controlled 9 Tivos (all different addresses), several TVs, AVRs and streaming devices. I used a multiplexer for the Tivos. But you asked for a simple 2 device learner. That project was a challenge and about 16 devices when all was said and done, all on a $25 remote. The magic of JP1 never ceases to amaze me.
post #8 of 78 Old 04-10-2019, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Yes, that's one option. But the Inteset is far more powerful if you get a JP1 cable for it and program from a PC. Then you can access 4 additional devices (for a total of 8) as well as do unlimited devices via multiplexing. I recently programmed a JP1 remote the same as the Inteset for someone so it controlled 9 Tivos (all different addresses), several TVs, AVRs and streaming devices. I used a multiplexer for the Tivos. But you asked for a simple 2 device learner. That project was a challenge and about 16 devices when all was said and done, all on a $25 remote. The magic of JP1 never ceases to amaze me.
Yeah, 2 devices is all that's needed. However, the receiver in the room is something I think I could maybe control with it as well. I got that as a curb freebie, nice find. It's a Denon DRA-295 and I don't have a remote for it. I figure I can key in the code and have control of it. However, this is for my bedroom and the receiver is at my right elbow and at right angles to where I'll normally be pointing the remote. Being right next to me, I can reach it easily. I'll see. Maybe the remote will control it easily. One of the nice things about my MX remotes (OP) is that the IR blasts from them are really powerful. Compared to a lot of remotes, just blows them away for getting a response from a device even when pointed wherever. It almost seems comical to me when I see people on TV or in movies reach out and point a remote at a TV!
post #9 of 78 Old 04-10-2019, 03:58 PM

Even if you only have a few devices, the advantage of a JP1 remote like Inteset over other similarly priced remotes is that you can add absolutely ANY function under the sun with codes even if those functions do not exist on your device's original remote. That's great for AVRs that have hundred of discrete commands that aren't even on the original remote, hence not learnable. Similar story for unlearnable discrete power and input codes on TVs, etc.

For example, if you have, say a Roku TV, with the Inteset, you could add discrete commands to pull up 30+ streaming apps versus the 4 that are typically on the Roku remote. And you can make your macros bullet proof with discrete power and input commands versus the power toggle and input scrolling you'd otherwise learn.

I'll get off my soapbox now and go back to using my $15 JP1 remote that outperforms my $200+ Harmony.
post #10 of 78 Old 04-10-2019, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Even if you only have a few devices, the advantage of a JP1 remote like Inteset over other similarly priced remotes is that you can add absolutely ANY function under the sun with codes even if those functions do not exist on your device's original remote. That's great for AVRs that have hundred of discrete commands that aren't even on the original remote, hence not learnable. Similar story for unlearnable discrete power and input codes on TVs, etc.

For example, if you have, say a Roku TV, with the Inteset, you could add discrete commands to pull up 30+ streaming apps versus the 4 that are typically on the Roku remote. And you can make your macros bullet proof with discrete power and input commands versus the power toggle and input scrolling you'd otherwise learn.

I'll get off my soapbox now and go back to using my $15 JP1 remote that outperforms my $200+ Harmony.
Well, thank you for that! Those discrete commands that aren't on many remotes, where do you get the codes for them and find out what they do?

That $15 JP1 remote you are using ... is it an Inteset? Or is the brand actually JP1, and where did you (where do I) get it? Thanks!

BTW, I do have a Roku TV, 3 of them, actually (TCL 43" 4K). I'd like to have direct access to a variety of streaming channels other than the 4 on the remote (Hulu, Sling, Netflix, Now).

Edit: Does the Inteset 4-in-1 come with a JP1 cable?

Last edited by Muse; 04-10-2019 at 07:27 PM.
post #11 of 78 Old 04-11-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Well, thank you for that! Those discrete commands that aren't on many remotes, where do you get the codes for them and find out what they do?
Many sources for codes - hifi-remote.com, GlobalCache, Harmony, RemoteCentral, manufacturer technical documents, trail and error (there are typically only 256 possible commands for most devices due to the data structure - 1 byte).

Quote:
That $15 JP1 remote you are using ... is it an Inteset? Or is the brand actually JP1, and where did you (where do I) get it? Thanks!
Xsight, Nevo and OARUSB04G, each $15 on ebay when I got them. Xsight/Nevo prices have gone up in the past few years, closer to $30 now.

Quote:
BTW, I do have a Roku TV, 3 of them, actually (TCL 43" 4K). I'd like to have direct access to a variety of streaming channels other than the 4 on the remote (Hulu, Sling, Netflix, Now).
We have a full codeset for that TV (http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...&file_id=14764 - must login to download). Here are the streaming commands we have:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/vi...=117292#117292

Quote:
Edit: Does the Inteset 4-in-1 come with a JP1 cable?
No, but some do, like the Xsight / Nevo on ebay and SimpleSet models like the OARUSB04G. JP1 cable typically runs around $8 on ebay. We'll need to advise you on exactly what to buy. Searching for "JP1" on ebay won't yield any results.

Full JP1 remote list with interface types below. A little outdated but close.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/RemoteChart

In terms of ergonomics and functionality, even at $25, the Inteset is still my favorite simple JP1 remote. You can probably add all the discretes you want without using a JP1 cable at all. You'd just enter the codes we tell you to enter for each command. Just let us know the make/model of each device and the desired commands.

Even if you end up liking the Philips better, you could at least use the JP1 remote for teaching all the discretes, probably not needing a JP1 cable at all. For that matter, a cheap Harmony like the 650 could serve the same purpose and would be simpler to figure out and includes an interface cable.
post #12 of 78 Old 04-13-2019, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In terms of ergonomics and functionality, even at $25, the Inteset is still my favorite simple JP1 remote. You can probably add all the discretes you want without using a JP1 cable at all. You'd just enter the codes we tell you to enter for each command. Just let us know the make/model of each device and the desired commands.

Even if you end up liking the Philips better, you could at least use the JP1 remote for teaching all the discretes, probably not needing a JP1 cable at all. For that matter, a cheap Harmony like the 650 could serve the same purpose and would be simpler to figure out and includes an interface cable.
I think one of these JP1 remotes might be a good idea for me. Even just to use learning codes into a Philips, as you say.

I'm seeing what I think is some variety in the Inteset 4-in-1 remotes for sale. A plain version (?), a version designated INT422 and I believe I saw another designated INT422 Version 3. So, that's a crossroads in considering getting one of these. Which one is preferable?

I think I understand most of the stuff in your last post. Thanks for the info.

I am still waiting for my Philips 5107 remotes. I have an old Philips universal remote that controls 4 devices. Don't see a part number on it but the manual I have in the upper right corner of the cover says PM435s. It's obviously not a learning remote. Uses a couple AAAs. Experimenting, I found a code that operates my TCL TV, but the OK button sends it Home! I'll just wait for my Philips 5107's and not mess around with this old one any more. No OK button is not good.
post #13 of 78 Old 04-13-2019, 04:25 PM

Version 3 is just the latest one. Very little functional difference besides some newer codes. No matter what you try to buy, you'll probably get the 3 unless you buy from someone with old stock.
post #14 of 78 Old 04-16-2019, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Whooa thanks for all this info! I just ordered the OARUSB04G for $14 off eBay. Mainly because I like the look better than the Inteset and it comes with its own cable (or I guess it's actually just a microUSB).

Aren't more and more devices going to RF/WiFi remotes though? I'm actually not sure whether a couple from my setup below are RF (as I'm not at home to test)... but for $14 even just controlling both the receiver and Blu-Ray will be a win. Plus I'm upgrading TVs soon and the new one will likely be IR.

TCL 5-series 2018 TV
Sony STR-DN1080 receiver
Xfinity cable box
Sony 4KBR player
PS4----> I assume the remote won't do any good here, but that's fine
post #15 of 78 Old 04-16-2019, 07:43 PM

If I had a PS4, I would use IR to my TV, then HDMI-CEC control from there.
post #16 of 78 Old 04-16-2019, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I received my 2 Philips 5107/27 remotes. Came with quickstart and manual in sealed bags, so evidently brand new. And cheap. Both less than 10$.

Please tell me, my impression is I may have to learn all commands for the TCL 43S403 43" 4K TVs into the Philips. No code given for TCL in the supplied documentation and don't see anything online at TCL's site for remote codes. Not a biggie, I guess.

My impression from what I have read in this thread is that there are codes for just about anything, so maybe you can tell me how I can get them.

Anyway, I'm wondering one thing. My MX remotes (MX-700 and MX-850) are nice in that they provide an LCD screen and I can provide a 5 digit name for up to twenty buttons, spread out on 4 pages. You have to change from page N to page N+1 to get the next page, page 1 being default for any device. But you get those names which is really nice. Otherwise you have to remember what's assigned to what button and in many cases (I imagine) there's no button whose name suggests the use you want for it.

I suppose that if I get the Inteset remote, or even if I don't, I can assign some codes to buttons on my MX remotes. Codes is something I haven't used thus far. Early in my use of my MX-700 I did download some people's software and get some functionality, but I stopped doing that partly because the manufacturer was making it intentionally difficult to do so for people who didn't buy from certain retailers. I bought my first MX-700 off a seller at Ebay, I guess not an authorized retailer.
post #17 of 78 Old 04-16-2019, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

We have a full codeset for that TV (http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...&file_id=14764 - must login to download). Here are the streaming commands we have:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/vi...=117292#117292
Hmm. I just registered at www.hifi-remote.com and downloaded that first file. It has .rdmu extension. How do I open it? My Win10 PC is asking me for an app to open it.
post #18 of 78 Old 04-16-2019, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
JP1 cable typically runs around $8 on ebay. We'll need to advise you on exactly what to buy. Searching for "JP1" on ebay won't yield any results.
If I get an Inteset INT422 Version 3 remote, exactly what cable do I want at ebay for it?
post #19 of 78 Old 04-16-2019, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I received my 2 Philips 5107/27 remotes. Came with quickstart and manual in sealed bags, so evidently brand new. And cheap. Both less than 10$.

Please tell me, my impression is I may have to learn all commands for the TCL 43S403 43" 4K TVs into the Philips. No code given for TCL in the supplied documentation and don't see anything online at TCL's site for remote codes. Not a biggie, I guess.

My impression from what I have read in this thread is that there are codes for just about anything, so maybe you can tell me how I can get them.

Anyway, I'm wondering one thing. My MX remotes (MX-700 and MX-850) are nice in that they provide an LCD screen and I can provide a 5 digit name for up to twenty buttons, spread out on 4 pages. You have to change from page N to page N+1 to get the next page, page 1 being default for any device. But you get those names which is really nice. Otherwise you have to remember what's assigned to what button and in many cases (I imagine) there's no button whose name suggests the use you want for it.

I suppose that if I get the Inteset remote, or even if I don't, I can assign some codes to buttons on my MX remotes. Codes is something I haven't used thus far. Early in my use of my MX-700 I did download some people's software and get some functionality, but I stopped doing that partly because the manufacturer was making it intentionally difficult to do so for people who didn't buy from certain retailers. I bought my first MX-700 off a seller at Ebay, I guess not an authorized retailer.

Try codes under emerson or dynex in the Philips remote. as for urc made remotes, it would emerson code 096. Code 096 won't have roku commands, but it will give power and volume.

What I like about the Philips model is has codes that match addresses 00001 though 00004 in directv white remotes. And has two codes for addresses 1 & 2 for TiVo.

Last edited by Edmund; 04-16-2019 at 11:13 PM.
post #20 of 78 Old 04-16-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
If I get an Inteset INT422 Version 3 remote, exactly what cable do I want at ebay for it?
Unfortunately I can't 100% guarantee any specific cable because the sellers change so frequently. But I'm fairly certain this one will work. The key specs are FTDI and 6 individual pins. Avoid the super cheap cables. They're either counterfeit (drivers won't work properly), have a Prolific chip (PL something), too few pins or a straight row of pins.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-TTL-...-/273243544742
post #21 of 78 Old 04-16-2019, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tonight I've gone to setup one of the two Philips learning remotes for one of my TCL 43S403 43" 4K Roku TVs. TCL isn't on the Philips list of codes in the supplied quick start guide. I had gone thru a process they have for finding a code set that will work, you just keep pressing a button (that was a few days ago). I stopped when something did something. Today I see that the only buttons that were working were Channel Up and Channel Down. So, I decided to Learn everything, how hard can that be?

Well, what I'm finding is that a button is learned and later when I'm using the TV the button doesn't work, so I learn it again. I did this a bunch of times for different buttons and it finally dawned on me that what must be going on is that the TCL remote is sending different wave length RF from the same button depending on the context (Bad TCL!!!). I figure maybe the only workaround for this is to use different devices on the Philips remote for the TCL, depending on the context... whether I'm watching TV or in a menu or something (I haven't tried to figure out what the different contexts are).

There are 7 total devices that can be operated with the Philips. In my bedroom I have, well, 4 actual different components that can be controlled by RF. There's the TCL TV, the Magnavox 4K disc player, then there's my Denon receiver (for which I don't have a remote, although I have an old Philips remote that's non-learning that AFAIK may have the ability to control the receiver if I enter the right code), and I have a couple of Pioneer F1007 301 CD players (which are coupled by a cable for 602 disc functionality). Maybe I can use the Philips learning remote with the CD player's too. Don't know if I'll bother, but maybe. The receiver's almost always at my elbow, next to my bed, so I've always thought a remote for it wasn't something I needed and even if I had one, I might not use it. I had a previous receiver there that did have a remote but I never used it.

Last edited by Muse; 04-17-2019 at 12:02 AM.
post #22 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OK, obviously the TCL remote puts out a specific frequency of IR radiation when you press one of its buttons, no context stuff going on. So, either the Philips remote is in some phase of operation I am unaware of or it is indeed forgetting it's learned info. Figure it's likely the former.

The Magnavox 4K player, the Philips got its codes OK, it seems, keying in the code for Philips Magnavox on the quick start guide (3715). Some functions I don't know if they are supported, and if they are, what buttons they would be assigned to. Such as Repeat, Audio, Search, Mode, Home, Eject, Return. That's where the MX remotes shine, I can assign stuff like that to the LCD labeled buttons. Plus, the MX seems to have a significantly stronger IR blast. The Philips is good, but not great for that. In my home theater room the MX remotes are pretty uncanny in that regard. I point them at a wall 10 feet away and the reflection hits my projector behind me very dependently.

Last edited by Muse; 04-17-2019 at 01:16 AM.
post #23 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Did you try any of the codes under emerson or dynex? To see if the tcl is in rf mode, try pressing keys while pointing it at camera, if you don't see blinking light its rf. In that case unplug the tv and see if roku tv remote switches to IR. As current roku console and stick remotes do?
post #24 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you try any of the codes under emerson or dynex? To see if the tcl is in rf mode, try pressing keys while pointing it at camera, if you don't see blinking light its rf. In that case unplug the tv and see if roku tv remote switches to IR. As current roku console and stick remotes do?
The Philips quick start guide didn't furnish codes for Emerson or Dynex. There are around 25 brands with provided codes, several of which I haven't heard of (e.g. Marca, Ilo, Olevia).

AFAIK, the TCL remains in IR mode. It does respond to wifi. I have the Roku app on all my smartphones. The Windows Phone Roku App is lacking. Doesn't support "private listening" (i.e. headphone support), and the interface is screwy. I dealt with Roku support on those issues for weeks and a supervisor finally conceded that they don't support it anymore on the Windows platform and they won't upgrade. So, I bought 3 cheap Android phones! The Roku App is nice for the wifi control, but I prefer actual buttons to working with a flat smartphone screen, so usually use IR control instead. Also, I have found that lip synch issues are significant with the Roku App (at least using headphones). There is still some lip synch issue when using IR control, but it's much less bothersome. I think it's variable. Most times I don't notice it, but I think the sound is preceding the video by maybe 1/10 second, at least I saw that yesterday. I have that much worse using my MyHD card OTA HD solution, however, where it's sporadic and can be corrected by playing with the REW/FF buttons (annoying!). I think it may be involved with my sound card driver. Haven't gotten around to swapping sound cards or using onboard audio on my PC.

Last edited by Muse; 04-17-2019 at 01:29 AM.
post #25 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The better tcl models come with wifi remotes, which when paired with tv only communicates via wifi, so you can't use it to teach a learning remote the commands. But if tv its paired with is temporary unplugged, it might switch the wifi remote to IR, and be useful in teaching a learning remote. Plug tv back in and roku remote is wifi only again. Same thing for 3800 & 3810 roku stick remotes, and roku ultra consoles remote. And all wifi roku remotes are interchangeable between roku tv and stand alone rokus.
post #26 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The better tcl models come with wifi remotes, which when paired with tv only communicates via wifi, so you can't use it to teach a learning remote the commands. But if tv its paired with is temporary unplugged, it might switch the wifi remote to IR, and be useful in teaching a learning remote. Plug tv back in and roku remote is wifi only again. Same thing for 3800 & 3810 roku stick remotes, and roku ultra consoles remote. And all wifi roku remotes are interchangeable between roku tv and stand alone rokus.
I believe it's the Series 5 TCL TV's that support wifi remotes. I figured that was the main reason to get a Series 5, but they were way more expensive, almost $100 more for the 43" TVs, so I went with the Series 4, which has IR remotes. Maybe a better idea, at least in terms of supporting universal remotes. Like I said, the TCL does respond to wifi remote control when using the Roku App on smartphones. Don't know how much I'm going to use that, but I have 3 Android phones now, one for each of my TCL TVs! Bought them specifically for their Roku App support.

AFAIK, the chief advantage of wifi remote control would be the response of the TV to commands made on the remote. I think the Philips is better than the supplied remote from TCL (which looks quite like a Roku remote), but my MXs will probably prove to be the best in that regard. I may wind up using URC MX's (well, my MX-850 is branded Orion), because of the advantages of powerful IR blasts and the LCD screen 5 character support for up to 20 buttons per device.

Last edited by Muse; 04-17-2019 at 10:39 AM.
post #27 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't 100% guarantee any specific cable because the sellers change so frequently. But I'm fairly certain this one will work. The key specs are FTDI and 6 individual pins. Avoid the super cheap cables. They're either counterfeit (drivers won't work properly), have a Prolific chip (PL something), too few pins or a straight row of pins.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-TTL-...-/273243544742
Thanks for this information. I ordered the cable and an Inteset INT422 V.3, both off Ebay.
MRAYB likes this.
post #28 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And all wifi roku remotes are interchangeable between roku tv and stand alone rokus.
But I'd need a Roku TV that supports that wifi control (e.g. TCL Series ), or would my TCL Series 4 TVs respond to Roku wifi remotes? They do respond to wifi commands from the Roku App, so could be. Interesting idea because I imagine those Roku wifi remotes are available. I do prefer a button remote to using a smart phone.
post #29 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But I'd need a Roku TV that supports that wifi control (e.g. TCL Series ), or would my TCL Series 4 TVs respond to Roku wifi remotes? They do respond to wifi commands from the Roku App, so could be. Interesting idea because I imagine those Roku wifi remotes are available. I do prefer a button remote to using a smart phone.
You can know for sure if your tv will work with wifi remote, go into the setting menu on the tv, under remote, if there's pairing option, then yes for sure it will work. I bought two tcl wifi tv remotes from ebay, guy had best offer so offered $12 each and I bought two. Didn't have roku tv so later I moved to iowa where my nephew had Insignia roku tv and rickety Ir remote. I paired tcl wifi remotes to his insignia. See different brands of roku tv use different IR code sets, but they all respond to same wifi frequency.

Any of current roku wifi remotes would work on your tv, stick remotes or console remotes, but they would be missing mute key. On roku sight under accessories you can buy roku tv wifi remote with mute key:

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv
post #30 of 78 Old 04-17-2019, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hope you're wrong there. A review I just encountered at Amazon for the Inteset INT422 remote contends otherwise:

"WOW. I’ve had three Harmony remotes, and knowing what’s involved in setting THOSE up, I know I have to clear at least a half a day in my schedule, back-up my laptop, have the phone number of the Harmony Help Desk at the ready, and take a Valium so that I don’t have a stroke from the frustration. I was very eager to see what all the fuss was about with the Inteset product, and now I know. I don’t think the set up took even 20 minutes. And everything worked perfectly on the first try. Unbelievable. These folks really know what they’re doing, and how people want to configure and use a universal remote. Hey Harmony — your days are numbered."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page