Harmony 900 and Android Key Codes for ShieldTV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-10-2019, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Harmony 900 and Android Key Codes for ShieldTV

I have several ShieldTV's that use Harmony 900's. I'm wanting to know how to get AndriodTV Key codes sent from the Harmony to the ShieldTV. Is it possible?

I know I could use Elites with Hubs but I don't want to spend $1000 outfitting every TV in the house this way.. One's enough in the Family Room!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-10-2019, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
I have several ShieldTV's that use Harmony 900's. I'm wanting to know how to get AndriodTV Key codes sent from the Harmony to the ShieldTV. Is it possible?

I know I could use Elites with Hubs but I don't want to spend $1000 outfitting every TV in the house this way.. One's enough in the Family Room!
Can you clarify your question as you say that you are using the Shield with your 900 but want to send android codes. Is it partially working or you want to be able to control them with the 900. If you have an older Shield that it has IR sensors so you should be able to use the 900. If it is a newer Shield that it does not have an IR sensor and you will have to purchase and install an FLIRC device and do the appropriate setup steps.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-11-2019, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
Can you clarify your question as you say that you are using the Shield with your 900 but want to send android codes. Is it partially working or you want to be able to control them with the 900. If you have an older Shield that it has IR sensors so you should be able to use the 900. If it is a newer Shield that it does not have an IR sensor and you will have to purchase and install an FLIRC device and do the appropriate setup steps.
Thank you for your response.

I have one 2015 ShieldTV that works via IR. The other three are 2017 and use FLIRC already. All use Harmony 900's.

Currently I only use the basic things on the Shield Remote.. Directional Keys, OK/Select, Home, Back and Play/Pause. I'd like to be able to send other AndroidTV Key Codes such as Guide, Info, Numeric Input. This is to control Emby on AndroidTV / ShieldTV BTW.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-11-2019, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Sammy, are you familiar with customizing buttons in your devices and activities? I looked at the Harmony database for the Shield, and I see numbers. Guide and Info do not exist, per se. But the "Shield" function acts like Home which is what Guide gets assigned to on most universals that control Shield.

For the FLIRC, use the Microsoft MCE codeset and config.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-11-2019, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Dave, Glad to see a seasoned remote veteran is still around these parts!

I use Home to go to the main Home screen on the ShieldTV so mapping it to Guide will loose that functionality it would seem?

I believe I set up FLIRC differently in their software so I may need to go back and reconfigure the USB Dongles to accept the MCE Codeset and Config, which I did not use to control the ShieldTV with the Harmony 900, I used some off brand DVR to send the commands and it worked so I didn't go back.

Is there a guide someplace on this to ease my pain?

post #6 of 8 Old 06-11-2019, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Is there a guide someplace on this to ease my pain?
I investigated Flic and ShieldTV before selecting other devices. In my research I did not find a comprehensive guide,but there are quite a few posts about configuring Flirc with XBMC, like this on https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=196817. I suspect what you want is doable.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-11-2019, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
I investigated Flic and ShieldTV before selecting other devices. In my research I did not find a comprehensive guide,but there are quite a few posts about configuring Flirc with XBMC, like this on https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=196817. I suspect what you want is doable.
I'll investigate but I believe that is a set up for the Harmony Hub without the Elite Remote. Thanks!

post #8 of 8 Old 06-18-2019, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

I have found that one of my Harmony 900's is communicating channel numbers to my 2017 ShieldTV via FLIRC. I had it set up as a Kodi device in Harmony but cannot really figure out how to check how the FLIRC is set up. Any suggestions?

BTW, I did this one first and when I did the others I did something else by setting up the FLIRC's as a random DVR then telling Harmony to control that DVR. The reason being is that the first one was set up much earlier than the others and I had forgot how I set up that first one.

Thanks for any additional advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page