Resolved: Harmony Ultimate with LG OLED TV component input - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-03-2019, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cool Resolved: Harmony Ultimate with LG OLED TV component input

Posting this in case it helps someone else!

I just bought an LG OLED TV 2019 model (model number OLED65C9PTA). I have long used a Logitech Harmony Ultimate One universal remote. I used the MyHarmony software to add the LG TV as a new device. It recognised the exact model number. So far so good.

When I connected up my devices, I had two old ones (a DVD player and a Wii games console) that only have component output. My Pioneer has the ability to switch component inputs so I connected it to the TV and the other devices to it. Still so far so good.

Everything worked. So I went to customise the activities. I then ran into the issue that the list of inputs for the TV that the Harmony knows about does not include Component. It knows about the four HDMI ports, TV and AV, but not Component.

Harmony also does not know about the Input button on the LG remote which shows the list of available inputs on the TV. This list is tricky to use with universal remotes because devices which are inactive may be shunted to the end of the list, so I did not want to change the input selection system for other activities which can directly select the input they want.

I tried various things, but finally resolved the problem as follows:
  • Create a new device command called Source for the LG using the (INPUT) button on the LG remote (Note: DO NOT call the command "Input")
  • Create or update the activity for which you want to use Component input, but select AV as the input
  • Customise the activity to send commands at the end of the startup: Source, then DirectionLeft, then OK

The reason you must not call the custom command Input is that if you do, the MyHarmony software will not show it as a command you can use when customising an activity.

I hope this saves time for someone else. I couldn't find anything about this issue elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-19-2019, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this isn't directly related to your PSA, but would you know if the Harmony remote can switch to a specific HDMI input on your LG OLED? I have the LG OLED65B7A and am thinking about getting the Harmony Hub so that I could use Google Assistant to change my HDMI inputs. Specifically I would like to turn on the TV, turn on an Xbox, and change the TV's input to the HDMI port of the Xbox. There is no direct input buttons on the LG remote so I am concerned that you cannot choose a discrete input with the Harmony Hub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page