With iRule being discontinued: What are you switching to? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-13-2019, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
With iRule being discontinued: What are you switching to?

Hi there,

I'm currently using iRule on an iPad which I'm very satisfied with.
Unfortunately, as you'll already know, from the end of 2020 on we won't be able to make any changes to its config, rendering it practically useless from there on.

So what have you switched to / will be switching to?
I already cast an eye over Kramer Control (too expensive and obviously more targeted towards companies than the enthusiast user), RTI (still expensive and reportedly rather unstable) and DemoPad (interesting, although seemingly quite complicated to set up - I'm not a programmer).

Is there something out there that will work with my global caché hardware, so I'll be able to keep that?
I'd be willing to pay a monthly fee of up to $10 when I can be sure it's easy to use (well, similarly easy to iRule), stable and will stick around for some years (or even decades).
Any suggestions or recommendations?
Thanks in advance!

Greets
SkyCyberguy

http://www.av-insider.de - Bild und Ton mit Sachverstand (Sound And Vision Expertized)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-13-2019, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCyberguy View Post
Hi there,

Unfortunately, as you'll already know, from the end of 2020 on we won't be able to make any changes to its config, rendering it practically useless from there on.

I already cast an eye over Kramer Control (too expensive and obviously more targeted towards companies than the enthusiast user), RTI (still expensive and reportedly rather unstable) and DemoPad (interesting, although seemingly quite complicated to set up - I'm not a programmer).

Is there something out there that will work with my global caché hardware, so I'll be able to keep that?
I'd be willing to pay a monthly fee of up to $10 when I can be sure it's easy to use (well, similarly easy to iRule), stable and will stick around for some years (or even decades).
Thanks in advance!

Greets
SkyCyberguy

I moved to DemoPad and its not hard to use. The builder is pretty easy to learn. We have a thread already going if you want to ask questions. I pay for the Pro Version which I believe is about 6.00 a month. Been very happy with it..

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-re...-users-22.html
post #3 of 4 Old 07-18-2019, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks in advance!

Greets
SkyCyberguy

I agree-Demopad! I didn't do the Pro-option and have a completely functioning system at no cost. The Pro-option allows for cloud storage of multiple projects and some minor software upgrades (primarily programming efficiencies).

See post:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-re...l#post58311294

"A respectable amount of bourbon to pour in a glass is about two fingers worth. Lucky for me I have big fingers"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-15-2019, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks in advance!

Greets
SkyCyberguy

After having been a long time iRule user, I have made the switch to Kramer Control. For me the entry ticket into their ecosystem was basically 'only' to get their controller ('Brain'), as I was able to reuse all of my existing components I had for iRule (GC, iPads, etc.). Kramer Control feels like an evolution of iRule (which it is).

Granted, a Brain typically goes for bit less than $800, but considering that I have spent a LOT more over the years even on single remotes and it has NO subscription fee, I am OK with it. I also like that I am able to make changes to the system myself and don't have to pay a programmer for it.

I wish that Kramer became a bit more HT enthusiast minded, though. Some of the implementations/features are too much geared towards enterprise/corporate environments (conference rooms, etc.).

I started a thread here. I would love to see Kramer Control getting a bit more traction here. I think it has huge potential for us enthusiasts.

____

Axel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page