Will Harmony 350 work for Smart TV - Xbox combo? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-07-2019, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Will Harmony 350 work for Smart TV - Xbox combo?

I am (still) using an XBox as a media extender for MCE Ceton tuners. I kept watching Netflix and Amazon from the xbox as well. So, the TV is really only a display.
I have a Windows multi media remote.

The apps on Xbox start lacking support. In particular the Amazon app is dated. So, I decided to use the smart features of my Samsung TV. i.e. watch Netflix, Amazon with TV apps and keep using Xbox for TV (live, recordings).
Therefore I am thinking about getting a new remote. All I want to do:
1.) click on button A to do TV (Xbox - MCE)
2.) click button B to go to smart apps on TV. Ideally I could click one button for Netflix, another for Amazon.

Can I do this with 350, or do I need 665? The 350 has devices on top. Is this really device or more like modes?
i.e. if I click Netflix I don't want xbox to go on. If I click TV after Netflix I like remote to turn on xbox and switch TV to DVI. and so on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-08-2019, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3123 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Those buttons are just device modes. The one and only activity macro that will automatically turn stuff on and off and switch inputs is the Watch TV button. So the 350 can almost do what you want, but that's all it can do. It will switch inputs one way, but won't switch back. You'd have to rely on some other button in TV mode to switch from the Xbox input to Smart TV. The 665 or an old 650 is about the same price but can do a whole lot more. If you should ever want some additional functions, like that Netflix button you want, you have a nice screen to put it on the 665, but would have to pick some unused button on the 350 and no way to label the function. Plus if that Netflix button needed to perform several steps to launch Netflix, i.e., Menu-Right-Down-Select, that's impossible on the 350, but a piece of cake on the 665.

The 665 gets you far more bang for your buck. The 350 is like a bicycle, and the 665 is like a car. I personally would not waste my money on a 350 unless I had just a single source to control.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-08-2019, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I believe I have an old 660 in my home theater. So I might upgrade this to a 665 and use the 660 for above application.
Is the 665 same or better quality than old 660?

I woudl not mind getting a newer one with larger screen, but I like the idea not putting it back into a charger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-08-2019, 07:35 PM

There is no such thing as a 660. So it is difficult to compare it to the 665.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-09-2019, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

sorry, meant 650 vs 665. 650 is my old remote
post #6 of 10 Old 10-09-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropole View Post
sorry, meant 650 vs 665. 650 is my old remote
They are identical except for the number of devices and the color of the plastic. Your upgrade plan would work fine.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-09-2019, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I got the 665. However, copying the settings from my old 650 appears to be more involved than I expected.
The new harmony software doesn't recognize my old login for the 650. The login still works with the old 7.7.0 software. I can make changes, download,.. using 7.7.0 with my account. But going to the new software it doesn't recognize my "old" login. Also, I did not find an uplaod int he new software for my old remote.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-09-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropole View Post
I got the 665. However, copying the settings from my old 650 appears to be more involved than I expected.
The new harmony software doesn't recognize my old login for the 650. The login still works with the old 7.7.0 software. I can make changes, download,.. using 7.7.0 with my account. But going to the new software it doesn't recognize my "old" login. Also, I did not find an uplaod int he new software for my old remote.
Probably too late now. But the process should have been to create a new account, migrate your old remote to the new account, then add your new remote to the new account. You are correct that your old login and the new software are completely separate.

In any case, there is no way to upload your old remote settings from the remote, only migrate them from the old account to the new account. Even then, it doesn't get any button customizations or sequences, only devices and activities. So some rework would be required either way.

Here's the whole procedure:
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...o-a-new-remote
post #9 of 10 Old 10-11-2019, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

got the copy to work. Although my old login worked on old 7.7.0 it di not on new software. Didn't even recognize email as a valid id to recover password. However, after going though rest password on 7.7.0 software the email id was available on new SW.

My only remaining question is on programming Netflix and Amazon. I believe I will need to do sequences?
so, left, left , ok?
How about to switch in between amazon and Netflix? Is there a "home" command that works?
post #10 of 10 Old 11-28-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Is there a Harmony 350 and 650 discussion forum besides the Harmony site? I find the responsiveness very slow.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page