Why isn't my Harmony using discrete codes when available? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why isn't my Harmony using discrete codes when available?

I just connected my iPad to my Harmony Smart Control system using the app. By doing that I discovered that my TV has (working) codes for Power On and Power Off (rather than a toggle) that Harmony is aware of, as well as discrete input select; however, the controller is still using the power toggle and cycling through the inputs.

Any idea why this would be, and is there any way to change it?

"When everyone's out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking"
-- Dr. Johnny Fever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3998 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by swechsler View Post
I just connected my iPad to my Harmony Smart Control system using the app. By doing that I discovered that my TV has (working) codes for Power On and Power Off (rather than a toggle) that Harmony is aware of, as well as discrete input select; however, the controller is still using the power toggle and cycling through the inputs.

If the commands are available in the Harmony database, you only need to change the button commands on your remote's activity setup. Whatever the app is doing may not be related.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
If the commands are available in the Harmony database, you only need to change the button commands on your remote's activity setup. Whatever the app is doing may not be related.
Turning a device on and off is not part of the activity; it's built into the Harmony logic. For example, if I switch from watching TV to watching a BluRay, the remote isn't going to turn the TV off and then on again, it's going to leave it on.

-- Dr. Johnny Fever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

The MyHarmony app allows you to change device settings. There is a power settings option and an input settings option. In power settings you tell MyHarmony that you "press two different buttons for on and for off" and in input settings you choose "I press different buttons that directly switch to DVD or other inputs."

The mobile app is somewhat different as shown: https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...anging-methods where the input option is "DIRECT INPUT SWITCHING."
post #5 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 3998 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
Quote:
Turning a device on and off is not part of the activity; it's built into the Harmony logic. For example, if I switch from watching TV to watching a BluRay, the remote isn't going to turn the TV off and then on again, it's going to leave it on.
There are settings in the MyHarmony software that allow you to change the logic. In the Activity itself you can go to "Customize" and see what command is actually being used for power and input. In the device settings you can go to "Fix a command" and see a list of available commands as a reference.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

OK, cool, I'll check it out. Thanks guys.

-- Dr. Johnny Fever
post #7 of 7 Old 10-18-2019, 11:52 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There are settings in the MyHarmony software that allow you to change the logic. In the Activity itself you can go to "Customize" and see what command is actually being used for power and input. In the device settings you can go to "Fix a command" and see a list of available commands as a reference.
I had a similar issue with my 700 not turning On/Off the ATV4k once I updated the ATV4k to iOS 13. Logitech corrected that for me by re-programming the On/Off function to the Home command. However, according to some very knowledgeable ATV4k folks, that's basically just a bandaid and the more correct way is to program the Menu button, or at least add it to the end of the Activity sequence. Input selection was fine for me, it was just the On/Off function that changed. Once the ATV4k was on (via the Apple remote), navigating the various Apple menus with the 700 was fine.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page