how does adding a harmony hub to a 950 work? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 334
how does adding a harmony hub to a 950 work?

Trying to understand how adding a hub to my 950 works. I can't seem to find any tutorials or articles anywhere on how to add and configure a hub to my 950 though I understand it can be done since it's the same remote in the Elite? It seems like the hub is a stand alone device that must be controlled via a phone or tablet? Or does the remote control the hub via IR but then how is that configured since currently my remote controls all my activities and devices? Basically I was going to look at adding a Hub for better control of my Apple TV, but if I have to use a phone or tablet to control the hub and use the RF commands then it's worthless to me since I can already directly control the ATV with Apple's remote control app on those devices. Am I missing something here?

Pansonic TC-P60VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Arris MX011ANM (Xfinity X1) | Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3965 Post(s)
Liked: 3236
You'll find a lot of info by searching the Logitech online help pages.
Its really pretty simple, you're just connecting the hub to your wi-fi network and then linking the remote to it. Later you can decide whether to have the hub do all the controlling or still use the remote's IR emitter for some devices. The hub also comes with one IR blaster, but its rare to need that.
The main thing in setup is to have the remote and hub both in the same room during setup, since they depend on bluetooth communication. Once set up they can be anywhere.
Remote talks to hub via wi-fi, hub talks to your devices. You don't need a phone at all, but otherwise you'd need a PC with MyHarmony software. Once set up, unless you program it differently, the remote no longer uses IR at all.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You'll find a lot of info by searching the Logitech online help pages.
Its really pretty simple, you're just connecting the hub to your wi-fi network and then linking the remote to it. Later you can decide whether to have the hub do all the controlling or still use the remote's IR emitter for some devices. The hub also comes with one IR blaster, but its rare to need that.
The main thing in setup is to have the remote and hub both in the same room during setup, since they depend on bluetooth communication. Once set up they can be anywhere.
Remote talks to hub via wi-fi, hub talks to your devices. You don't need a phone at all, but otherwise you'd need a PC with MyHarmony software. Once set up, unless you program it differently, the remote no longer uses IR at all.

So the remote has Bluetooth but not RF control capabilities then? That was part of my confusion was what kind of capabilities the remote actually had. I thought it was just IR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pansonic TC-P60VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Arris MX011ANM (Xfinity X1) | Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
So the remote has Bluetooth but not RF control capabilities then? That was part of my confusion was what kind of capabilities the remote actually had. I thought it was just IR.
Well, bluetooth is "RF". But yes, adding a hub will by default disable the remote's IR functions. (unless you go in and change that)
To clarify: the remote ONLY talks to the hub, the hub does all the controlling.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

how does adding a harmony hub to a 950 work?

Quote:
Well, bluetooth is "RF". But yes, adding a hub will by default disable the remote's IR functions. (unless you go in and change that)
To clarify: the remote ONLY talks to the hub, the hub does all the controlling.

I guess that's where I'm confused. I thought the Harmony remotes were all IR only. Is that the case with the 950 and it just uses Bluetooth etc to control a hub or does the 950 have the ability to control devices that need an RF remote and I didn't know? I'm assuming it must just be for controlling the hubs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #6 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
I guess that's where I'm confused. I thought the Harmony remotes were all IR only. Is that the case with the 950 and it just uses Bluetooth etc to control a hub or does the 950 have the ability to control devices that need an RF remote and I didn't know? I'm assuming it must just be for controlling the hubs?
Whether the remote is capable of direct RF control of devices is a moot point, since Logitech insists that you buy a Hub to get that functionality. I suspect that the remote is not capable, and since various devices require an assortment of different IP and RF control, the Hub is the way to go because it has it all.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Whether the remote is capable of direct RF control of devices is a moot point, since Logitech insists that you buy a Hub to get that functionality. I suspect that the remote is not capable, and since various devices require an assortment of different IP and RF control, the Hub is the way to go because it has it all.

Ok thanks. I thought maybe I was missing something and remote had it natively on its own even if it wasn't advertised. Well this seems like a good time to get a hub then. Seeing them $30 off MSRP everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page