Advice Needed on Harmony Remote for Sister - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Cal68
  • 1 Post By Cal68
  • 1 Post By mdavej

post #1 of 6 Old 11-11-2019, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Advice Needed on Harmony Remote for Sister

Hi All

I would like to buy a Harmony Remote control for my sister. Her needs are fairly simple. In terms of hardware, she has a Sony 4K TV, a cable box and a BluRay player. She watches a lot of TV on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video as well and I believe that she has one streaming music service. And I gave her a Chromecast device earlier this year but I'm not sure it is even hooked up to her system. That's pretty much it. But she has a number of remotes on her coffee table and her AT&T supplied cable remote is a dog! I struggle trying to find channels every time I visit her.

Anyway, I thought that I should buy her a universal remote control this year as a Christmas present. So I am looking for advice from this crowd. I prefer to get her a remote with a touchscreen and a hub so that she can change channels even when she is in the kitchen and does not have line of sight to her system. The two that caught my eye when looking through the Logitech website were the Harmony Elite and the Harmony Companion. She also lives in the Google Universe so it seems like the Harmony Express is not for her. I also noticed that several of you also like the Harmony 665 although it does not appear to be hub based.

Any advice you guys/gals can give me on which remote to get for her would be most appreciated. My sister is not terribly tech savvy (my niece will probably set the remote up for her as my niece is definitely extremely tech savvy!) so I am looking for a remote that will be simple for her to use once it is programmed. One button access to Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and her streaming music service is a must.

Finally, do any vendors have Black Friday sales on Harmony Remotes?

Thanks for your help and a Happy Veteran's Day/Thanksgiving Day to all of you.

Cal68

Cal68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-11-2019, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
Hi All

I would like to buy a Harmony Remote control for my sister. Her needs are fairly simple. In terms of hardware, she has a Sony 4K TV, a cable box and a BluRay player. She watches a lot of TV on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video as well and I believe that she has one streaming music service. And I gave her a Chromecast device earlier this year but I'm not sure it is even hooked up to her system. That's pretty much it. But she has a number of remotes on her coffee table and her AT&T supplied cable remote is a dog! I struggle trying to find channels every time I visit her.

Anyway, I thought that I should buy her a universal remote control this year as a Christmas present. So I am looking for advice from this crowd. I prefer to get her a remote with a touchscreen and a hub so that she can change channels even when she is in the kitchen and does not have line of sight to her system. The two that caught my eye when looking through the Logitech website were the Harmony Elite and the Harmony Companion. She also lives in the Google Universe so it seems like the Harmony Express is not for her. I also noticed that several of you also like the Harmony 665 although it does not appear to be hub based.

Any advice you guys/gals can give me on which remote to get for her would be most appreciated. My sister is not terribly tech savvy (my niece will probably set the remote up for her as my niece is definitely extremely tech savvy!) so I am looking for a remote that will be simple for her to use once it is programmed. One button access to Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and her streaming music service is a must.

Finally, do any vendors have Black Friday sales on Harmony Remotes?

Thanks for your help and a Happy Veteran's Day/Thanksgiving Day to all of you.

Cal68
We have a low budget HT system that's controlled by the companion remote w/ hub. Not having to depend on line of sight anymore is a godsend. Important side note: the companion remote, while compact, light, ergonomic and a battery miser (one cr2032 as I recall), is not illuminated and has no backlit buttons. If this is an obstacle, the Harmony app can use your phone to double as a remote. (the macro programming/tweaking can be done solely through the app as well)

idk about BF deals though, sorry
post #3 of 6 Old 11-12-2019, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrank% View Post
We have a low budget HT system that's controlled by the companion remote w/ hub. Not having to depend on line of sight anymore is a godsend. Important side note: the companion remote, while compact, light, ergonomic and a battery miser (one cr2032 as I recall), is not illuminated and has no backlit buttons. If this is an obstacle, the Harmony app can use your phone to double as a remote. (the macro programming/tweaking can be done solely through the app as well)

idk about BF deals though, sorry
Thanks for that my friend. I did not realize that the Companion remote did not come with a charging cradle. I might have to look more closely at its specs now because I missed that point.

Cal68
karrank% likes this.

Cal68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-12-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 794
We also have the Harmony companion remote with hub. It turns on the stereo and TV, sets the input, even opens particular apps on the Roku like Netflix, Hulu, Plex, etc. My wife loves it so she doesn’t have to call me all the time to figure out how to get everything working.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-14-2019, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
We also have the Harmony companion remote with hub. It turns on the stereo and TV, sets the input, even opens particular apps on the Roku like Netflix, Hulu, Plex, etc. My wife loves it so she doesn’t have to call me all the time to figure out how to get everything working.
Thank you my friend, I really appreciate your response to my question.

Cal68
m0j0 likes this.

Cal68
post #6 of 6 Old 11-15-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3116 Post(s)
Liked: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
Thanks for that my friend. I did not realize that the Companion remote did not come with a charging cradle. I might have to look more closely at its specs now because I missed that point.

Cal68
Realize that because there is no backlight or IR, the battery lasts a very, very long time (~ 1 year), so no need for a cradle or frequent charging.
karrank% likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page