One remote to control them all? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By bulls
  • 2 Post By karrank%

post #1 of 6 Old 11-11-2019, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cool One remote to control them all?

Is this even possible?

My tv system:

Panasonic Plasma[two HDMI jacks on back]
ROKU
Amazon Fire TV gadget
DVD Player
Comcast DVR
Google Chromecast
Google Home Mini

Since only two HDMI jacks on Panasonic Plasma[old but works great], I use HDMI splitter[it has small remote].

HDMI 1: DVD player
HDMI 2: Comcast DRV, Amazon Fire TV gadget
ROKU
Google Chromecast

Don't have Google Home Mini in setup[yet], don't know if it "could" be helpful[an asset]or not..?

All gadgets have their own remote control unit[Google Home Mini and Chromecast don't]...

I MUST use Panasonic Remote to turn on/off TV
Then I MUST make sure TV is on "HDMI 2"
Then I MUST make sure HDMI splitter is set for proper channel

Only then, can I select ROKU[99% of everything I watch in on ROKU or one of their apps], I know, I should just CUT the cord, but so far can't figure out how to do that can still see all the stuff I want to see[some NFL games on cable TV channels, most on Dish Network app]...

My wife can't figure out all this stuff, I can and have written it out, word by word, but in general, she's not happy!

HELP...:-)

Please advise an old but patient VET on how to get ONE remote to control them all or a A/V receiver? As long as it's easy and she can do it, hopefully with ONLY one remote, life would be good!

PS: I've tried an older Harmony remote, is did alot, but I still had to use Panasonic, Roku, Amazon Fire and HDMI splitter remotes! Maybe I set up the Harmony incorrectly, I "played" with its configurations for several weeks, contacted Harmony,etc..

I'm slow, but can eventually learn, thanks for your help...:-) [I "might" suffer from overconfidence]...😎
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-11-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 187
is the hdmi splitter using IR ?

i would suggest trying the harmony hub based remote, it can cofigure many devices and activities via iphone app (home control model because i like the play button placement better, the Smart model has play button too high for me)
Mr.6 likes this.

display - vizio p65
AVR x4300h +lepai 2ch amp = 7.2.4
L/C/R - Chane 2.4, SURROUND - dayton 3in cubes *temporary
BASS - 2x Seaton F18 + JTR 1400 "the wind machine" (not port noise)
2100 ft^3
post #3 of 6 Old 11-11-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 11398
I am using the Harmony 950 to control 9 devices and 6 activities. Easy programming using My Harmony.
You may want to check this one as it might fit your plan.

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-11-2019, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Harmony smart remote with hub saved my marriage, I tell you.
Mr.6 and beerhunt like this.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-12-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked: 1433
No, it is not possible.

Chromecast can only be control from the casting device (phone, computer, etc.), not a remote.

But since you can cast to a Fire TV device anyway, what purpose does the Chromecast serve?

Your old Harmony should have been able to control the TV, Roku and HDMI splitter just fine, including running the macros to do all the input switching. So if you were to get a new Harmony and also not program it correctly, you're back at square one. As proof of concept, you really should see how far you can get with your current Harmony. An old Harmony should be able to control everything except the Fire TV and the Chromecast. A new hub based Harmony can also control your Fire TV.

I don't know much about the Mini, but I do know that 100% voice control would be maddening, to me at least.

Good luck.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-15-2019, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
No, it is not possible.

Chromecast can only be control from the casting device (phone, computer, etc.), not a remote.

But since you can cast to a Fire TV device anyway, what purpose does the Chromecast serve?

Your old Harmony should have been able to control the TV, Roku and HDMI splitter just fine, including running the macros to do all the input switching. So if you were to get a new Harmony and also not program it correctly, you're back at square one. As proof of concept, you really should see how far you can get with your current Harmony. An old Harmony should be able to control everything except the Fire TV and the Chromecast. A new hub based Harmony can also control your Fire TV.

I don't know much about the Mini, but I do know that 100% voice control would be maddening, to me at least.

Good luck.
I believe you're correct, I'll get out that Harmony remote and try again to get to working for everything I need...

I'll give it a week or so to figure out/call Logitech,etc..

The one thing that I'm not too sure of:

How to add HDMI remote to Harmony setup? I never did that to begin with, so can't expect HDMI splitter remote to be "hamonized"...my bad 4sure...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page