Input/Device Control for Home Setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-19-2019, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Input/Device Control for Home Setup

Hello,

New to this site, figured this section would be the best to ask my question. I'm trying to get my mother setup with some easier Audio/Video control, currently she has six different remotes and does alot of things manually. Here is her setup:

- 65" HDTV
- Klipsch Powered Soundbar and Sub
- Direct TV Box
- Blu-Ray Player
- AppleTV
- Manual HDMI Switch Box

She DOES NOT have an A/V Receiver, but in order to switch between say the Apple TV and DirectTV she has to use the Manual button HDMI selector box. What is the easiest way to get her easier control of this? Maybe something with Google Voice or Amazon Alexa integration? The one challenging piece is that her equipment is in a closet near the TV but there is no line of site so IR won't work, would have to probably be something RF or WiFi. I'd like to set this up for her for Christmas so any feedback and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-19-2019, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTekGurus View Post
Hello,

New to this site, figured this section would be the best to ask my question. I'm trying to get my mother setup with some easier Audio/Video control, currently she has six different remotes and does alot of things manually. Here is her setup:

- 65" HDTV
- Klipsch Powered Soundbar and Sub
- Direct TV Box
- Blu-Ray Player
- AppleTV
- Manual HDMI Switch Box

She DOES NOT have an A/V Receiver, but in order to switch between say the Apple TV and DirectTV she has to use the Manual button HDMI selector box. What is the easiest way to get her easier control of this? Maybe something with Google Voice or Amazon Alexa integration? The one challenging piece is that her equipment is in a closet near the TV but there is no line of site so IR won't work, would have to probably be something RF or WiFi. I'd like to set this up for her for Christmas so any feedback and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
Could you not just connect all the HDMI sources directly to the TV? What is the purpose of the manual HDMI switch box?
post #3 of 4 Old 11-19-2019, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Could you not just connect all the HDMI sources directly to the TV? What is the purpose of the manual HDMI switch box?
Hello Steve, thanks for the reply. She only has 2 inputs and 1 output on the TV so this wouldn't be possible. Plus the TV is about 12 feet away from the A/V closet so it would be a lot of HDMI cables for each device to reach the TV (we had to have a tech run the single HDMI cable and power through the wall which wasn't cheap).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-19-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Harmony Hub for control. HDMI Matrix with IR control.

The Harmony remote uses RF to communicate with the Hub. The Hub is an IR blaster that also has remote IR 1/8 outputs.

Should work perfect for you mom. Oh and it works with Alexa!

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
Projector-BenQ 3550 4K, Screen-110" Silver Ticket STR-169110, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page