Suggestions RF/IR universal remote - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-21-2019, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Suggestions RF/IR universal remote

Hoping someone on this forum has solved a similar need. I have a TV located across the room from a streaming device (currently Fire TV) and receiver (TV is connected to streaming device via HDMI cable run through walls/ceiling). Also located with the receiver are a turntable and Sonos Controller. I am looking for a simple universal remote solution and so far, the only suggestion I have is from a local AV guy wanting me to use an MX450/MRF260. I have experience with URC devices (MX850/MRF300) and found them to do a decent job but I'm not comfortable with such old technology. The URC solution works because the MX450 has both RF and IR outputs. The IR output will control the TV and the MRF260 will do IR blaster control of devices co-located with the receiver (except, of course, the Fire TV which is likely to be replaced by a Roku Ultra). Of course, I'm not counting on controlling the Sonos controller with this solution.

As an alternative to URC, I'm thinking of a Harmony Companion and Harmony Hub solution but I don't know how to provide IR control of the TV since it is located across the room from the Harmony Hub location (perhaps there is a "remote" IR blaster that the hub can control)?

Appreciate input from anyone who has solved a similar URC need.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-22-2019, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg56 View Post
Hoping someone on this forum has solved a similar need. I have a TV located across the room from a streaming device (currently Fire TV) and receiver (TV is connected to streaming device via HDMI cable run through walls/ceiling). Also located with the receiver are a turntable and Sonos Controller. I am looking for a simple universal remote solution and so far, the only suggestion I have is from a local AV guy wanting me to use an MX450/MRF260. I have experience with URC devices (MX850/MRF300) and found them to do a decent job but I'm not comfortable with such old technology. The URC solution works because the MX450 has both RF and IR outputs. The IR output will control the TV and the MRF260 will do IR blaster control of devices co-located with the receiver (except, of course, the Fire TV which is likely to be replaced by a Roku Ultra). Of course, I'm not counting on controlling the Sonos controller with this solution.

As an alternative to URC, I'm thinking of a Harmony Companion and Harmony Hub solution but I don't know how to provide IR control of the TV since it is located across the room from the Harmony Hub location (perhaps there is a "remote" IR blaster that the hub can control)?

Thanks
Harmony Elite will do what you want. Control rack equipment from the Harmony Hub and the tv across the room via IR from the remote.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-22-2019, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
Harmony Elite will do what you want. Control rack equipment from the Harmony Hub and the tv across the room via IR from the remote.

Thanks - I'll have a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-22-2019, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks

I've been doing a bit more reading - it looks to me like the combination of Harmony Companion remote with the hub might work as the Hub has an emitter that would most likely be able to control the TV across the family room. If I put the hub on top of the cabinet with line of sight to the TV and if I don't have too much light noise, it seems like it would work.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-23-2019, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

I went with Harmony Elite

Quote:

Thanks

As a wrap up for this thread... I went with the Harmony Elite. I think the Companion would have done the job but I like the Elite better. Interestingly, it IS controlling my TV just fine from across the room (both hub and blaster do the job fine) BUT my Denon AVRS540BT is not responding to any commands from either the hub or the blaster. Tried Harmony DB commands and went through teaching process with no luck. I also made the the hub and blaster were positioned the in the same spot as the Denon provided remote which works. Have posted a separate thread on this topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page