Fast Forwarding in 1 Minute Slices - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-28-2019, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fast Forwarding in 1 Minute Slices

When watching a playback of a show previously recorded on the DVR, is there any way to program the Harmony Ultimate One to advance in one minute increments - obviously I want to do this to zip me through the commercials. Doing it with the fast forward button is too imprecise -I always overshoot into the first couple of minutes of the show and then have to backtrack to find the beginning of the segment. It would be swell to have the facility to advance in one minute slots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-29-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 175
With some trial and error you may be able to do it by creating a sequence that consists of multiple FF commands followed by a play command. I think the HUO has a limit of 5 commands in a sequence, so that may not be enough FF command to skip forward enough. The trick is to "learn" multiple FF command into one key, and to use one or more of these in the sequence.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-30-2019, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
With some trial and error you may be able to do it by creating a sequence that consists of multiple FF commands followed by a play command. I think the HUO has a limit of 5 commands in a sequence, so that may not be enough FF command to skip forward enough. The trick is to "learn" multiple FF command into one key, and to use one or more of these in the sequence.
Sounds very complex but thank you for the response. I was looking for something easier but perhaps it's just not possible to program the HUO for the command that I am looking for - at least not simply.
The only reason I asked this question was that I do recall with one of my remotes in the past, you could advance the recorded episode in 1 minute intervals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-30-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttibsen View Post
Sounds very complex but thank you for the response. I was looking for something easier but perhaps it's just not possible to program the HUO for the command that I am looking for - at least not simply.
The only reason I asked this question was that I do recall with one of my remotes in the past, you could advance the recorded episode in 1 minute intervals.
Advancing a predetermine amount of time is usually a function of the PVR/DVR and not the remote. My box has an option for either 30 second or 5 minutes. I select 5 minutes and then have a series of rewind command to go back a couple of minutes.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-30-2019, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

So if the skip in 1 minute segments is a function in the DVR and not the remote, I presume that there should be a setting somewhere on screen for the DVR that would enable you to set this function. I have looked at the manual for the DCX3510 and I can't see any screen that enables the skip.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-30-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttibsen View Post
So if the skip in 1 minute segments is a function in the DVR and not the remote, I presume that there should be a setting somewhere on screen for the DVR that would enable you to set this function. I have looked at the manual for the DCX3510 and I can't see any screen that enables the skip.
A key should exist on the original remote if the DVR provides that function. Sometimes that are special IR commands for a device that are not on the remote but they may be in the Harmony database. DO a web search to see if this command exits for your model of the DVR.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-01-2019, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

As you can see from the shots of the original remote and its instruction book, there is nothing on the remote or the instructions that would enable any incremental skip function so I will have to pin my hopes on such a function being implementable on the Harmony Ultimate One. I will research into this approach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 8.19.28 AM.png
Views:	4
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2648010  
post #8 of 9 Old 12-01-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
The DCX3510 has no 1 minute skip capability. A "sequence" of several short skips is the only way. It's very simple to program on Harmony. I program such a sequence (macro) into every universal remote I've ever had, but mine is 3 minutes instead of 1.

@BPlayer , the Ultimate One has a 20 step limit. You're thinking of the original One and other models of that era that had 5 steps. The 900 had zero steps, a move that made me so angry I got rid of all my Harmony remotes and still won't use them to this day. Every time they get close to a good feature set and ergos, they do some boneheaded thing that makes using them a PITA. For example, I would love the Elite if they hadn't removed the skip buttons entirely (yes, I know about all the workarounds - long press, gestures, mapping to different buttons entirely).
post #9 of 9 Old 12-01-2019, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
The DCX3510 has no 1 minute skip capability. A "sequence" of several short skips is the only way. It's very simple to program on Harmony. I program such a sequence (macro) into every universal remote I've ever had, but mine is 3 minutes instead of 1.

@BPlayer , the Ultimate One has a 20 step limit. You're thinking of the original One and other models of that era that had 5 steps. The 900 had zero steps, a move that made me so angry I got rid of all my Harmony remotes and still won't use them to this day. Every time they get close to a good feature set and ergos, they do some boneheaded thing that makes using them a PITA. For example, I would love the Elite if they hadn't removed the skip buttons entirely (yes, I know about all the workarounds - long press, gestures, mapping to different buttons entirely).
OK - I will study up on this method - thanks for the tip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page