Harmony won't power off Reciever when paired with PS4?! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-07-2019, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Harmony won't power off Reciever when paired with PS4?!

So I have a Harmony Hub with the simple all in one remote. I have it working great to control different activities. But this one is really weird. My receiver is a Pioneer, and the remote will power it on and off no problem for all other activities. Watching TV, using the Roku, or the Wii, it will power on the receiver, set the input all that jazz. Power off works just fine too. Except when using it with my PS4. I recently got the PDP IR receiver so I could use the remote with it and power the PS4 on and off. It works great for the PS4. But for some reason the activity won't power off the Receiver now. It will power it on just fine and set the input. But when it comes to powering it off it just won't do it. I've tried moving the power off action up and down in the order of the activity, but that didn't help it. I even created a new activity from scratch and it didn't help. What might be causing the receiver to not power off ONLY when I'm using the PS4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-13-2019, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by paqmanbiker View Post
So I have a Harmony Hub with the simple all in one remote. I have it working great to control different activities. But this one is really weird. My receiver is a Pioneer, and the remote will power it on and off no problem for all other activities. Watching TV, using the Roku, or the Wii, it will power on the receiver, set the input all that jazz. Power off works just fine too. Except when using it with my PS4. I recently got the PDP IR receiver so I could use the remote with it and power the PS4 on and off. It works great for the PS4. But for some reason the activity won't power off the Receiver now. It will power it on just fine and set the input. But when it comes to powering it off it just won't do it. I've tried moving the power off action up and down in the order of the activity, but that didn't help it. I even created a new activity from scratch and it didn't help. What might be causing the receiver to not power off ONLY when I'm using the PS4?
paq,

I have a similar problem with a Harmony One and a Sony STR590 receiver. My receiver turns off but then immediately turns back on. I've been told it has something to do with how HDMI is setup, but I do not understand how to fix it. If you get a solution, please let me know what you find. They say the problem is with my receiver, but???????

Cheers
post #3 of 13 Old 12-13-2019, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSO Z View Post
paq,

I have a similar problem with a Harmony One and a Sony STR590 receiver. My receiver turns off but then immediately turns back on. I've been told it has something to do with how HDMI is setup, but I do not understand how to fix it. If you get a solution, please let me know what you find. They say the problem is with my receiver, but???????

Cheers
Thanks I will. The weird thing is it works perfectly with my receiver for all other profiles. It does everything as it's supposed to. But ONLY when in a profile with the PS4 and the PDP thing does it act up like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-13-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks I will. The weird thing is it works perfectly with my receiver for all other profiles. It does everything as it's supposed to. But ONLY when in a profile with the PS4 and the PDP thing does it act up like this.
paq,

Just got off the phone with Sony support. He gave me instructions for my STR590 receiver. Basically he instructed me to go into the receiver and turn OFF the Hdmi control and turn OFF the STBY Link. I don't have access to the receiver right now, but I will report if this works. Sony reached at 800-538-7550 (John in Salvador).

Cheers
post #5 of 13 Old 12-13-2019, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
paq,

Just got off the phone with Sony support. He gave me instructions for my STR590 receiver. Basically he instructed me to go into the receiver and turn OFF the Hdmi control and turn OFF the STBY Link. I don't have access to the receiver right now, but I will report if this works. Sony reached at 800-538-7550 (John in Salvador).

Cheers
Interesting, that actually sounds like it could have something to do with it. I'll look into the settings of my Pioneer for that stuff as well. Thanks!
post #6 of 13 Old 12-14-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Interesting, that actually sounds like it could have something to do with it. I'll look into the settings of my Pioneer for that stuff as well. Thanks!
paq,

From Logitech:

Larry, there was an issue with Smart TV's that whenever you connected an AV receiver through HDMI connection, the HDMI CEC feature of the TV automatically sends another power command to the receiver. The result is, whenever you try to power off your devices, your Harmony remote will send power off command to all your devices including the Sony AV receiver and the TV will also auto send power command to the AV receiver which causes the receiver to power on again. To isolate the issue, you may need to use the original remote of your TV and disable the HDMI CEC on its settings. Please see the steps below:

Panasonic TV HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, or VIERA Link 1.Press Menu button, navigate down and select Setup
2.Select HDMI Control and set CEC Function and Power Off Link to Off

Cheers
post #7 of 13 Old 12-16-2019, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
paq,

From Logitech:

Larry, there was an issue with Smart TV's that whenever you connected an AV receiver through HDMI connection, the HDMI CEC feature of the TV automatically sends another power command to the receiver. The result is, whenever you try to power off your devices, your Harmony remote will send power off command to all your devices including the Sony AV receiver and the TV will also auto send power command to the AV receiver which causes the receiver to power on again. To isolate the issue, you may need to use the original remote of your TV and disable the HDMI CEC on its settings. Please see the steps below:

Panasonic TV HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, or VIERA Link 1.Press Menu button, navigate down and select Setup
2.Select HDMI Control and set CEC Function and Power Off Link to Off

Cheers
Thanks for the update. I looked at my TV, CEC control was already off. And can't quite find the settings you mentioned in my receiver settings. However I only looked briefly. I've pulled out the documentation to try to dig through it a bit more.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-16-2019, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Turn off the HDMI Control on your PS4 and that will solve your issue. I believe its labeled device link in the PS4 settings
post #9 of 13 Old 12-16-2019, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaves View Post
Turn off the HDMI Control on your PS4 and that will solve your issue. I believe its labeled device link in the PS4 settings
Dang you got me all excited. I found the setting, but it was already disabled. So I enabled it, shut everything down and started it back up, then disabled it, and shut it all down again to start the sequence fresh. Unfortunately the problem still persists. Everything shuts off except the receiver.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-17-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Dang you got me all excited. I found the setting, but it was already disabled. So I enabled it, shut everything down and started it back up, then disabled it, and shut it all down again to start the sequence fresh. Unfortunately the problem still persists. Everything shuts off except the receiver.
I have the Harmony elite and you can add delays in the Harmony software. I had to add a few second delay on power off for a device once. Give that a try in the power off commands. Just add a 3 second delay for the receiver.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #11 of 13 Old 12-17-2019, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
I have the Harmony elite and you can add delays in the Harmony software. I had to add a few second delay on power off for a device once. Give that a try in the power off commands. Just add a 3 second delay for the receiver.
Ah I hadn't thought about putting in a delay, I'll give that a shot thanks! I think because I had tried moving the order around, and I put it first in the list, I figured that would take care of any delay issues. So it's currently first, but I'll play with it more and add in a delay. Thanks.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-26-2020, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

So I gave up on this and forgot all about it, but it's driving me nuts now and I want to get it working. I am trying to add a delay in the stop sequence, but it only lets me add a delay to the beginning of the shutoff sequence! It won't let me move the delay. What I think needs to happen is let it shut everything else off first, then delay for a bit, then turn off the receiver. But it won't let me put the delay anywhere other than the top of the activity list. Anyone know how to put delays in between steps?
post #13 of 13 Old 04-26-2020, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

So after researching, I get it won't let me put it delays in certain spots. I don't think it would help anyway. But here's the weird thing, I got it working when I am doing the PS4 activity to the projector.

Here's how that is set up. Because of the nature of the menu system, to automate the procedure for putting the video out to the projector instead of the TV, I have to have it press AvAdjust on the receiver, then a series of arrows to navigate the menu, and switch the output to sub, for the projector. But because it's an option menu, not a setting I can set it to, I have to have it set it back to main in the power of procedure. Anyway, not sure of that makes sense, but I have it working.

And for some reason, when I run the ps4 activity outputted to the projector, then the power off activity works and powers off the receiver.

But when I run the PS4 activity outputted to the TV (no funky menu navigation), the power off activity does not power off the receiver.

Not sure if any of that had anything to do with it or not. But thought I'd mention it. It really bugs me I can't figure out how to get it to power off the receiver when using the PS4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page