Any Harmony remotes NOT need blaster if hub in closet? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-19-2019, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any Harmony remotes NOT need blaster if hub in closet?

New house — all my HT gear (directv dvr, marantz pre-pro) will be in a closet. If I (obviously) put a hub in there, will any of the remotes in the Harmony line use IR itself to send the tv on the wall On/Off commands, without an IR blaster?

As I understand it, an IR blaster has to be plugged into the hub itself then run out into the room (via under the closet door or through a hole in the wall) to a line of sight position with the tv — I’d like to avoid that if one of the Harmony remotes can talk in IR to turn on the tv, instead of only able to talk to the hub.

Thanks in advance. I’d bet this has been brought up ad nauseum but seems like not an easy search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-19-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked: 3245
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcener1 View Post
New house — all my HT gear (directv dvr, marantz pre-pro) will be in a closet. If I (obviously) put a hub in there, will any of the remotes in the Harmony line use IR itself to send the tv on the wall On/Off commands, without an IR blaster?

As I understand it, an IR blaster has to be plugged into the hub itself then run out into the room (via under the closet door or through a hole in the wall) to a line of sight position with the tv — I’d like to avoid that if one of the Harmony remotes can talk in IR to turn on the tv, instead of only able to talk to the hub.

Thanks in advance. I’d bet this has been brought up ad nauseum but seems like not an easy search.
The 950 and Elite have IR capability in the remote, but you have to manually enable it in the setup software. By default all activities will have only the hub enabled for IR. That said, I'd strongly advise to take the trouble to install a blaster. Eliminating the need to point the remote at any devices is pretty convenient.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-19-2019, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks. I’ll take a look at how discreet a blaster can be. In any case, I take it then the Companion can not be programmed to send an IR signal to the tv? If I did decide to go with a blaster set-up to turn the tv on and off, can a Companion with a hub (and blaster) do the job? Really just looking at all options — I don’t care about the Elite price but the wonder if I might want to have the hard number buttons that the non-screen Harmony remotes give you. Also, I read in my ne user review that the remote doesn’t go through battery juice near as fast if it doesn’t have a screen (I know, there’s a base with the Elite),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-19-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked: 3245
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcener1 View Post
Thanks. I’ll take a look at how discreet a blaster can be. In any case, I take it then the Companion can not be programmed to send an IR signal to the tv? If I did decide to go with a blaster set-up to turn the tv on and off, can a Companion with a hub (and blaster) do the job? Really just looking at all options — I don’t care about the Elite price but the wonder if I might want to have the hard number buttons that the non-screen Harmony remotes give you. Also, I read in my ne user review that the remote doesn’t go through battery juice near as fast if it doesn’t have a screen (I know, there’s a base with the Elite),
I can't speak to the Companion remote but I don't think it has IR.
The hub and blasters are very robust and do not require direct line of sight as much as you might think. You could also consider having the hub in the room and run a blaster to closet. But I'd say that a blaster could be almost anywhere in your room and still grab the TV. The included blaster has a pretty long cord, but they can easily be extended.

Been using an Elite for years and never once wanted hard number buttons. You can program macros to cover any conceivable commands you might want, including numbers. But the screen buttons are fine if you need them.

I drop my Elite into its charging cradle for about 30 min a day and it never drops below about 60% charge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page