Logitech Harmony remotes and receivers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 4 Old 12-30-2019, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Logitech Harmony remotes and receivers

It's confusing that the entire line of remotes has no option for any sort of ARC setup. I got mine to work by ignoring and just using HDMI 3 for everything but the PS4 which I put on HDMI 2.
I also have my DirecTV satellite outputting from the Onkyo TX-NR797 and I *seem* to be getting full 4K and properly decoded audio, but when trying to switch - especially to the PS4- sometimes I have to restart everything a few times and manually hit the HDMI 3 or HDMI 2 input button.
It's especially frustrating because there doesn't seem to be any consistency about the correct sequence of actions.

Just wanted to put it out there though that if anyone else is struggling, don't give up- I seem to be getting full 4K and properly decoded audio on everything in the system from Netflix coming off the TCL to the DirecTV box to the PS4.

Does anyone understand why Logitech doesn't support ARC in their Harmony remotes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-30-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked: 2634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Kid 2 View Post
It's confusing that the entire line of remotes has no option for any sort of ARC setup. I got mine to work by ignoring and just using HDMI 3 for everything but the PS4 which I put on HDMI 2.
I also have my DirecTV satellite outputting from the Onkyo TX-NR797 and I *seem* to be getting full 4K and properly decoded audio, but when trying to switch - especially to the PS4- sometimes I have to restart everything a few times and manually hit the HDMI 3 or HDMI 2 input button.
It's especially frustrating because there doesn't seem to be any consistency about the correct sequence of actions.

Just wanted to put it out there though that if anyone else is struggling, don't give up- I seem to be getting full 4K and properly decoded audio on everything in the system from Netflix coming off the TCL to the DirecTV box to the PS4.

Does anyone understand why Logitech doesn't support ARC in their Harmony remotes?

The Harmony remotes are designed to be used in place of CEC, which, in a lot of systems associated with ARC. They have nothing to do directly with ARC. All of the Logitech remotes are universal remotes for controlling your HTS, (on/off, input selection, device options, etc) nothing more. You need to disable CEC on all of your HDMI controlled devices but that may require losing ARC. Some devices allow for separate control of ARC/CEC so you can disable the CEC portion and still have ARC. But ALL of your connected devices should have that option. You can try the Lindy CECless dongle which blocks the pin that sends the CEC signals so you can still use ARC.

To be clear, the Harmony remotes have nothing to do with ARC. They are a replacement for CEC. Harmony remotes are either IR or RF. They have nothing to do with HDMI, of which ARC/CEC are part of.
karrank% likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-31-2019, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the response. I guess I don't understand some fundamental basics about this.
I thought the ARC was basically a 2 way HDMI designed to pass the video and audio between the tv and reciever, and a good receiver would be "smart" enough to reroute and OUTPUT whatever A/V signals it was receiving from other INPUTS back to the TV and speakers.

That is exactly what mine is doing.

Looks like I need to research what CEC is to better understand the equipment and fundamentals. Isn't that like copy protection or something?

I'm obviously mistaken and confused. I'm thankful that everything is doing what I want it to, but would like to understand better. Can anyone recommend a source to learn about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-31-2019, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 764
CEC..not about copyright. Most folks here despise it , and seldom few use it (or turn it off). It's all about letting one thing control another. Consumer Electronics Control.
https://www.lifewire.com/hdmi-cec-4158343
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page