Universal remote with Fire TV support? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-05-2020, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Universal remote with Fire TV support?

I’m looking for a universal remote that can also control RF-based devices like Fire TV.
Is Harmony hub my only option?
I’d like to make sure there are no other cheaper options before spending a couple of hundred dollars on a remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-06-2020, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
This might work for you:
https://intesettech.com/index.php/pr...-tv-streamers/

The cable has a Y connector that goes inline with the Fire TV stick power cable. The included IR receiver eye sends USB key presses to the Fire TV stick from IR signals that the remote sends. The remote also has built in IR codes for other popular streaming devices.

I got one for my parents as a Christmas gift and it works good.

My semi-dedicated theater: The EXASCALE CINEMA
post #3 of 3 Old 01-08-2020, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3149 Post(s)
Liked: 1445
I second the Inteset recommendation. I've used it myself. While it's not RF, it does allow IR control from ANY universal IR remote, not just the included one. On Amazon, you can also just buy the dongle and splitter for $24 if you already have a universal remote. Just realize that, being IR, it does require line of site with the dongle and it can't do voice commands.
https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Recei.../dp/B07KPPQFF8

Another benefit of the Inteset remote is that it's JP1 programmable, meaning you can program it from a PC or Mac like a Harmony if you buy another $5 interface cable for it. In terms of functionality it actually runs circles around a similarly priced Harmony, giving you unlimited devices, nested macros, fast macros, 5 functions per button (primary, long press, double press, shifted and double shifted), pronto hex import, and more.

Having said that, I've gone the other direction and just use the Fire TV remote to control everything, at least in terms of power, input switching and volume control. It's possible if all your devices support HDMI CEC control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page