setting up harmony hub and remote - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-05-2020, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
setting up harmony hub and remote

This has not taken me over 4hrs today!!!

Have had a Harmony 650 remote for some time. I run an LG Smart TV and a Windows MC with a infrared windows captured connected to the HTPC. I have the 650 set up to simultaneously

But wanted to replace it so given my home automation, thought the harmony hub and remote (connected to GoogleHome/Assistant) would be a good move.

When I logged into the harmony app followed the steps to cope settings from my harmony 650. Seemed to have worked. But the mappings for the commands/buttons didn't seem to come across as none of the buttons on the new harmony remote would do anything like the old remote would do.

So i decied to "fix commands" for the windows mc device.....the learning function is extremely hit and miss and eventually just hangs the app and seems to disconnect the app from the hub. Trying to reconnect up again seems to hang on "Connecting to Harmony servers"....but never does.

I thought it was something wrong with my phone (OnePlus 6T). I tried it with another phone (Moto X) – same outcome.

I tried to start again and not copy from old remote but set it all up from scratch...but the hub wouldn't even set up with the LG tv (which worked at least for power off/on by copying commands).

So went back to copying from old remote and trying to fix it but it keeps losing connection from app to hub. (is the app/mobile connecting to the hub via WiFi or Bluetooth?)

And even if/when i get to fix all of the commands – do those commands map to the buttons on the harmony remote? if not how do I map them?

Significantly disappointed wit this product so far....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-06-2020, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alect View Post
This has not taken me over 4hrs today!!!

Have had a Harmony 650 remote for some time. I run an LG Smart TV and a Windows MC with a infrared windows captured connected to the HTPC. I have the 650 set up to simultaneously

But wanted to replace it so given my home automation, thought the harmony hub and remote (connected to GoogleHome/Assistant) would be a good move.

When I logged into the harmony app followed the steps to cope settings from my harmony 650. Seemed to have worked. But the mappings for the commands/buttons didn't seem to come across as none of the buttons on the new harmony remote would do anything like the old remote would do.

So i decied to "fix commands" for the windows mc device.....the learning function is extremely hit and miss and eventually just hangs the app and seems to disconnect the app from the hub. Trying to reconnect up again seems to hang on "Connecting to Harmony servers"....but never does.

I thought it was something wrong with my phone (OnePlus 6T). I tried it with another phone (Moto X) – same outcome.

I tried to start again and not copy from old remote but set it all up from scratch...but the hub wouldn't even set up with the LG tv (which worked at least for power off/on by copying commands).

So went back to copying from old remote and trying to fix it but it keeps losing connection from app to hub. (is the app/mobile connecting to the hub via WiFi or Bluetooth?)

And even if/when i get to fix all of the commands – do those commands map to the buttons on the harmony remote? if not how do I map them?

Significantly disappointed wit this product so far....
The app worked better for me than the desktop s/w, ymmv
post #3 of 3 Old 01-08-2020, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked: 1445
Quote:
Originally Posted by alect View Post

A "copy" brings over devices and activities but unfortunately no button customizations, as you have discovered. Those must be re-done manually. Harmony has always worked this way.

Quote:
Harmony has a full set of MCE commands already. No need to "learn" any of them. Just map any missing ones to buttons by doing "Customize Buttons" in the desktop software, not the phone app. Realize there are two places to customize - devices AND activities. So if your customizations are missing, confirm that you've done them in both places.

Quote:
See above. Customizations should be done using the desktop software.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page