Sending RS232 in response to IR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-13-2020, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sending RS232 in response to IR

I am trying to build something that will turn on/off my Marantz processor in response to IR sent by my DirecTV remote. I have a JVC RS2000 projector that the DirecTV remote is able to turn on and off, and I'd like to control power to the Marantz as well. I have tried an Ocelot, but can't get it to work. The Ocelot is able to turn the Marantz on and off in response to IR sent by the projector's remote, but when I use the DirecTV remote it isn't able to recognize the projector IR codes that the DirecTV remote sends. I've also tried having the Ocelot respond to the DirectTV on/off IR codes, but it can't recognize them either. It appears that the Ocelot just doesn't like IR from the DirecTV remote. Some googling has convinced me that this is a common problem - the Ocelot isn't great at recognizing IR.

So can someone suggest an alternate device, similar to the Ocelot? I just want to create a simple control program to send RS232 in response to received IR. And I want a standalone device like the Ocelot, not something that has to be connected to a computer to work.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-13-2020, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
I am trying to build something that will turn on/off my Marantz processor in response to IR sent by my DirecTV remote. I have a JVC RS2000 projector that the DirecTV remote is able to turn on and off, and I'd like to control power to the Marantz as well. I have tried an Ocelot, but can't get it to work. The Ocelot is able to turn the Marantz on and off in response to IR sent by the projector's remote, but when I use the DirecTV remote it isn't able to recognize the projector IR codes that the DirecTV remote sends. I've also tried having the Ocelot respond to the DirectTV on/off IR codes, but it can't recognize them either. It appears that the Ocelot just doesn't like IR from the DirecTV remote. Some googling has convinced me that this is a common problem - the Ocelot isn't great at recognizing IR.

So can someone suggest an alternate device, similar to the Ocelot? I just want to create a simple control program to send RS232 in response to received IR. And I want a standalone device like the Ocelot, not something that has to be connected to a computer to work.

Thanks.
Don't know if there is a simple fix. I use a RS-232 Global Cache connected to my Receiver. I have in the past used EventGhost running in a windows PC and an IR receiver where IR signals would launch events on EventGhost. There you could have EG send commands to the GC device. Drawback is you need to have a windows PC running all the time and learn a little coding.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-13-2020, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. I used to do things with an htpc, but I want to get away from that and use a standalone device like the ocelot. I looked at Globalcache and don’t see a stand-alone device. Is there one? I don’t mind programming. I’m a professional software developer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-14-2020, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone? Is there a non htpc solution to what I’m trying to do?
post #5 of 11 Old 01-15-2020, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Check these guys out. http://www.celadon.com/Industrial/IRC38/IRC38.html

SBTS-Inc.com
- Certified Crestron Master Programmer and DM T-4K, D-4K, E-4K, DM-NVX Certifications.
- RTI Programmer/ Driver Developer
- Rational Acoustics Smaart Certified
- QSC QSYS Lvl 2 Certified Programmer
post #6 of 11 Old 01-15-2020, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 5713 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
Quote:
Anyone? Is there a non htpc solution to what I’m trying to do?
IF you can program, why not set up a raspberry PI and flirc to accept the IR signal then output via ethernet control the appropriate command to your devices? (I mean who uses RS232 anymore? I suppose you get the instruction set for the RS232 via your fax machine?)

This setup would be pretty easy to implement:
- Download a raspberry pi linux build.
- Attach the flirc, this will translate input IR codes into keyboard presses of your choice. Hook flirc to windows pc and program it the first time with the code and keystroke you want it to send.
- Write a simple program that runs, waits for keypresses, when it senses the key you selected above, it sends out the appropriate ethernet command. This device can sit there and do the same for other commands if you so chose. It could also power on your JVC and off your JVC with the same logic.

I'm sure that the marantz ip control set is well documented. I have written this stuff for multiple processors, projectors, and other components myself.

My current implementation is HTPC based, but you could just as easily make it run on raspberry pi instead. One button press on my remote and my HTPC sends the power on signal to my projector via ip control, power on my anthem, power on my wifi thermostat and open my wifi vents and turns on my room lights. My projector goes through a warm up cycle where the focus changes slightly as it warms up, so that's also handled via IP control on a timer.

When I power off, it powers off the projector, powers off the anthem, powers off the wifi thermostat and closes the room vents and turns on the lights so I can leave. It then powers off the HTPC. What you can do here is limitless if you can program.

Raspberry PI kit is about $60, flirc is $15 all amazon prime.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-15-2020, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. That Celadon product looks like it could do the trick. I checked out their site, and they don't have any pricing or ordering information. They make you fill out a huge form, and it appears that they're only targeting volume customers. But I sent them an email and will see if they respond.

The Raspberry Pi solution sounds intriguing. I've never done anything with the RP, but have done lots of Arduino work. And a lot of Unix stuff. So I think I could figure it out without too much difficulty. And it's so cheap! A lot less than I spent on the Ocelot. I didn't know about the flirc. And I didn't think of using IP for the Marantz, but you're probably right that it supports it. Thanks.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-15-2020, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just ordered a raspberry pi and flirc. Thanks Mark!
post #9 of 11 Old 01-15-2020, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 5713 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
Quote:
Did you find the Marantz IP command set document?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-15-2020, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes. Looks pretty straightforward. You just send ascii strings to the telnet port.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-23-2020, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Quote:
Did you find the Marantz IP command set document?
I’ve finished setting this up - controlling my Marantz via IP, from the RPi, in response to IR signals translated by the FLIRC. Fun project and it works like a charm. Thanks again for the suggestion, Mark!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page