Single remote solution for Firestick - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By DanPackMan
  • 1 Post By MRAYB
  • 3 Post By mdavej

post #1 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Single remote solution for Firestick

Is there a remote solution that will turn off my cable box, change my Vizio TV’s HDMI source and control my Amazon Firestick with a simple button push, and then reverse the process when I want to go back to cable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
Is there a remote solution that will turn off my cable box, change my Vizio TV’s HDMI source and control my Amazon Firestick with a simple button push, and then reverse the process when I want to go back to cable?

I"m fairly certain is no way to turn the cable box off or reverse the process. Fire remote will only control one device and TV, only switching to the Fire TV inputs. You might find some CEC settings that turn the cable box off when the TV switches sources, but my guess is that won't work well either.

There's a FireTV Stick thread in the Networking, Media Servers and Content forum, might ask there as well.

Sounds like you are stuck with two remotes, maybe a Harmony will simplify things.
Kyle76 likes this.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 01-18-2020 at 06:01 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Too many variables to list. Also not sure of a cable box, never owned one. I will describe what works in my case. In my bedroom I use an Inteset remote https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to control the Sceptre tv (with CEC enabled), Samsung soundbar and Firestick. Will control all three fine. In my main room with a TCL tv and a Harmony 650 remote, no dice with the Firestick. There are "dongles" https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Recei...9352860&sr=8-3 that may work. Have never tried one. I do know the Inteset is a great remote. Either one MAY work for you. Good luck
Kyle76 likes this.

Last edited by MRAYB; 01-18-2020 at 07:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

I have enabled CEC on the Vizio, which gets me most of the way there, but I still need two remotes (rather than three I had been using). Streaming is easy. Turn on the TV with the Firestick remote, and hit the Home button if the HDMI source is on the cable box. If I want to switch to cable, I hit the MIC button and tell it it, “HDMI 1,” then control things with my cable remote. Switching back to streaming merely requires a press of the Home button on the Firestick remote. Unfortunately, I can’t (or can’t figure out how to) turn the cable box on or off or change channels on the box with the Firestick. It’s a Cisco box from Time Warner (now Spectrum) if anyone has any ideas about that.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-18-2020, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3189 Post(s)
Liked: 1459
Cancel cable. Get Youtube TV. No need to switch to cable box or control it. Use the money you save to go on a nice vacation.

If you keep cable, cheapest easy option is Harmony 665 plus IReTV IR dongle for Fire Stick. Only drawback is you can only do voice commands with the original Fire Stick remote. For twice the price, Harmony Companion will do it without an IReTV.

I've personally done both. I much prefer the one that involves a vacation and telling Spectrum to stick it.
MRAYB, DanPackMan and Kyle76 like this.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Cancel cable. Get Youtube TV. No need to switch to cable box or control it. Use the money you save to go on a nice vacation.
That is certainly the direction I’d like to be headed. It has to be simple enough to be non-tech-wife friendly.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is certainly the direction I’d like to be headed. It has to be simple enough to be non-tech-wife friendly.
Dumped Dish/Direct years ago. Soooo many options available out there that are better, and once setup with a good remote, will be easier to navigate.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3189 Post(s)
Liked: 1459
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
That is certainly the direction I’️d like to be headed. It has to be simple enough to be non-tech-wife friendly.
If my 85 y/o mom can handle YTTV (or Hulu, Sling, Philo, etc), I bet your wife could too.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Harmony Elite or Harmony Companion
post #10 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Try this:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-re...l#post59058334

USB interface to the fire stick to allow it to receive IR signals. The remote can be programmed wit macros to change inputs on the TV when you press the device buttons.

My semi-dedicated theater: The EXASCALE CINEMA
post #11 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
Dumped Dish/Direct years ago. Soooo many options available out there that are better, and once setup with a good remote, will be easier to navigate.
with a little bit of haggling once a year i get directv with a genie, one hddvr, and two wireless clients for $25 a month TOTAL. No other services. The deals are there if you want to play the game..
post #12 of 11 Old 01-24-2020, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just wanted to update my previous post. I received the Inteset dingle today and it works great......
This is a solution that works for me. Fire TV into TCL HDMI (or Denon avr). Using a Harmony 665 (or 650). I like this Inteset dongle...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1....because it enables you to also use an ethernet adapter...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1...so the Fire TV does not default to the WIFI connection setting. Works great with Fire TV, should also work with a new Firestick. Only command that doesn't work on the Harmony is the "back" command. Left arrow is usually sufficient. No hub needed in this setup.

NOTE: when adding the Fire device to the Harmony, add it as an XBOX 360. Then rename it if you wish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page