MiniDSP 2x4HD Causing RF Interference - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-31-2020, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 39
MiniDSP 2x4HD Causing RF Interference

It’s always something. Finally got around to buying and installing a minidsp. Spent a bunch of hours the last two days playing with it and then this morning I found out that it’s causing interference with my URC setup. Specially is the RFX-250 RF receiver. Can’t seem to get it into a spot where it will work consistently. If I unplug the miniDSP then it works as normal. I read someone else had the same issue and they solved it by changing over to the i series from URC. That would mean buying a new remote and base station. I would consider doing this but all the remotes available in the i series are not end user programable. I’m not interested in buying a remote that I can’t program myself. I have one last thing to try which is disconnect the antenna and see if that helps. I tried to do that but I couldn’t get the screw to loosen that holds it in place. I’m going to see if I can get a small Phillips bit for my drill that will be able to do it. Either way I don’t have much hope that will work. Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for how I could resolve this.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-01-2020, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwander View Post
It’s always something. Finally got around to buying and installing a minidsp. Spent a bunch of hours the last two days playing with it and then this morning I found out that it’s causing interference with my URC setup. Specially is the RFX-250 RF receiver. Can’t seem to get it into a spot where it will work consistently. If I unplug the miniDSP then it works as normal. I read someone else had the same issue and they solved it by changing over to the i series from URC. That would mean buying a new remote and base station. I would consider doing this but all the remotes available in the i series are not end user programable. I’m not interested in buying a remote that I can’t program myself. I have one last thing to try which is disconnect the antenna and see if that helps. I tried to do that but I couldn’t get the screw to loosen that holds it in place. I’m going to see if I can get a small Phillips bit for my drill that will be able to do it. Either way I don’t have much hope that will work. Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for how I could resolve this.

Thank you
Well in case someone ever runs into the same issue I am closing in on a resolution. No matter where i moved the RF receiver it would receive interference from the minidsp, so i took off the antenna. That solved the interference issue but obviously created a new one. Still trying to zero in on a new location that im happy with that is close enough to my seat where it will work without the antenna but shouldnt be too difficult. Right now its a little hit or miss but workable.

Emotiva XMC-2 | Monoprice 7X | Outlaw 5000 | Arendal 1723S Towers-Center-Surrounds-Monitors | Klipsch CDT 5650 | Polk V60 | Klipsch SPL-120 (2)|
HSU VTF3 MK5 (2) | Crown XLS 1002 | Buttkicker LFE Mini (4) | Eaton 5PX 1500|
JVC RS1000 | Silver Ticket 120” 16x9| Panasonic UB820 | Apple TV 4K | URC MX 450 | Logitech Harmony Hub
post #3 of 8 Old 04-01-2020, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Sorry I did not see this sooner, but I had the same problem. I found that turning the MiniDSP by 90 degrees from the antenna removed the interference. The receiver and the MiniDSP are separated by about 3 ft in height and about 4ft in length.

-Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-01-2020, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 130
sounds like the miniDSP needs a faraday cage.... try wrapping it up in aluminum foil?

Have a question and want it answered in podcast format?
[email protected]
http://www.avrant.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/avrant
post #5 of 8 Old 04-02-2020, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_L View Post
Sorry I did not see this sooner, but I had the same problem. I found that turning the MiniDSP by 90 degrees from the antenna removed the interference. The receiver and the MiniDSP are separated by about 3 ft in height and about 4ft in length.

-Charlie
I will have to try turning the miniDSP around. So far the removing the antenna has made the remote too hit or miss to be usable.

Emotiva XMC-2 | Monoprice 7X | Outlaw 5000 | Arendal 1723S Towers-Center-Surrounds-Monitors | Klipsch CDT 5650 | Polk V60 | Klipsch SPL-120 (2)|
JVC RS1000 | Silver Ticket 120” 16x9| Panasonic UB820 | Apple TV 4K | URC MX 450 | Logitech Harmony Hub
post #6 of 8 Old 04-02-2020, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr159 View Post
sounds like the miniDSP needs a faraday cage.... try wrapping it up in aluminum foil?
Something like this did occur to me. I was wondering if there was something i could put around the mini to block the interference. You think this realistic?

post #7 of 8 Old 04-02-2020, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwander View Post
Something like this did occur to me. I was wondering if there was something i could put around the mini to block the interference. You think this realistic?
in all honestly, wrapping it well/continuously will block most of the RF. Good news is that it is cheap to try... and easy to "undo" if needed...

I'd try it if it were my setup...

but I'm hillbilly through and through... and my miniDSP will be in the rack hidden...

Have a question and want it answered in podcast format?
[email protected]
http://www.avrant.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/avrant
post #8 of 8 Old 04-02-2020, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
If changing the orientation of the MiniDSP doesn’t work, can you try putting vertical distance between them, with the receiver 3 feet or more higher than the MiniDSP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page