How to turn everything off consistently. AND,consolidate remotes - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-22-2020, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How to turn everything off consistently. AND,consolidate remotes

Hi ,
I have denon x3600h. firestick(2nd gen), directv , and sony bravia (1080p kds nx810) all plugged into avr. Most often when turning off with the power button on the firestick, the avr and tv go off THEN the tv comes back on with firestick homepage showing (avr still off). TV is in ARC hdmi and ARC turned on at avr and tv level. Also the firestick(gen 2) has with auto control devices turned on. Sometimes the TV or avr stay on when powering the directv as well.
It all seems to turn on ok from off but the turning off show is frustrating.
1. What is the most efficient way to set this up to get them all off as intended?
2. Is there a remote that would solve this and get everything into sync. I guess with routines that use discrete on/off codes?
3. I see firestick is an issue with most harmony remotes. Would the harmony express work (and if so can I use blaster behind a glass cabinet door?) Would the 650 or similar work?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-22-2020, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The best way is to implement a control system that can bi-directionaly communicate with all of the devices via IP.
IR is the worst solution.
ARC is problematic as well (as you have seen).

The automation would have a poweroff macro that would be sequenced in the order with pause between commands.
Ultimately the automation system would receive status updates on the device status to further ensure that the device is in the desired state.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-22-2020, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Harmony remote controls and hubs can also be setup with specified startup order as well as a pause if desired.

Sony 75X940E, Denon X6200w, Sony X700, AppleTV 4K, Roku Ultra, MiniDSP 2x4HD
Parasound (2x)HCA-855a, HCA-750a, NU3000dsp, BKA-1000
Mission 705a L&R, dual 70c3 C, 703 SL&SR, 705 BL&BR, (4x)Yamaha NSIC800 Atmos
LFE- Front: M&K MX-200 & MX-150THX; Rear: (2x)M&K V-75's
ULF- HoverBOSS(8x12" JBL's) + (4x)cantilevered BK-LFE's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-22-2020, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
The best way is to implement a control system that can bi-directionaly communicate with all of the devices via IP.
IR is the worst solution.
ARC is problematic as well (as you have seen).

The automation would have a poweroff macro that would be sequenced in the order with pause between commands.
Ultimately the automation system would receive status updates on the device status to further ensure that the device is in the desired state.
Ok, understood. All my devices are wired eithernet and good room wifi.
So practically speaking what remote would do this?
post #5 of 13 Old 04-22-2020, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As one example, myServer has software drivers that know how to talk to all of your devices via IP.
There is also a Harmony Hub driver.

So, with a Harmony Companion remote, you create an Action for Power On / Off your devices.
myServer then "hears" you pushed that button.
myServer then runs the PowerOn macro that you configure to turn all your devices on and in the desired sequence.
Another macro is written to PowerOff.
You associate that Harmony Action to toggle this PowerOn vs. PowerOff function (dependent on the state of the macro ie: system should be Off now, so run the PowerOn macro).

Not sure if Harmony Hub on it's own will talk IP to your list of devices. But something to investigate.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-22-2020, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
As one example, myServer has software drivers that know how to talk to all of your devices via IP.
There is also a Harmony Hub driver.

So, with a Harmony Companion remote, you create an Action for Power On / Off your devices.
myServer then "hears" you pushed that button.
myServer then runs the PowerOn macro that you configure to turn all your devices on and in the desired sequence.
Another macro is written to PowerOff.
You associate that Harmony Action to toggle this PowerOn vs. PowerOff function (dependent on the state of the macro ie: system should be Off now, so run the PowerOn macro).

Not sure if Harmony Hub on it's own will talk IP to your list of devices. But something to investigate.
What is "myserver"?
post #7 of 13 Old 04-22-2020, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 229
ARC is no problem if you can use it without CEC (control) enabled... I can on my devices, but some TVs apparently don't allow ARC without CEC control enabled. It's really CEC control that's probably causing the issue.

Before I went to one remote to rule them all, I had, much like the OP, no issues with CEC control powering things up. However, I was lucky in that powering down worked fine except the TV wouldn't shut off. If I had devices coming back on after power-down, I'd probably have gone mad.

I like my Harmony Elite, but I don't use a firestick as I prefer a different streaming box.

MiniDSP 2x4HD, UMIK-1, REW... The holy trinity for running multiple subs.

Espon 5050UB, 120" screen, AppleTV4k, Harmony Elite, Sony UBP-X700, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX504, Outlaw 7000x, MiniDSP 2x4HD, 2x HSU TN1220HO subs, 2x HSU VTF-15H Mk2 subs, Defintive Technology speakers: CLR2002 x3 for FR, C, FL; BP2x SR & SL; BP1.2x SBL & SBR; ProMonitor 800 x4 height speakers.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-23-2020, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A very easy way to do this is via $40 Logitech Harmony IR remote. You can crease macros to blast discrete power off commands to each of your devices
post #9 of 13 Old 04-23-2020, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan07 View Post
A very easy way to do this is via $40 Logitech Harmony IR remote. You can crease macros to blast discrete power off commands to each of your devices
It's my understanding the harmony IR doesn't work with firestick?
post #10 of 13 Old 04-23-2020, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal11 View Post
Firestick is bluetooth.
Harmony Hub works fine with FireTV4K. Looks like a bluetooth keypad to the FireTV.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-24-2020, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does Anyone Still Use IRule?

I solved the problem of remote consolidation and the ability to take actions on multiple devices at once or in a sequence (macros) years ago with IRule. It results in a app that you customize that runs on your IPhone or Android phone. It continues to do exactly what I want it to do, and am just curious IRule has been superseded by other approaches.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-24-2020, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3306 Post(s)
Liked: 1530
Quote:
The IReTV dongle adds IR to Firestick:
https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Recei.../dp/B07KPPQFF8

To your immediate problem, ARC (CEC or Bravia Sync) is the culprit. I assume since you have a Firestick, you never use the apps on your TV. If so, you don't need ARC. Just plug all your sources directly into the Denon.

What I think is happening is CEC is enabled on your DirecTV box, and that's causing your TV to come back on. I would try disabling CEC (HDMI control) on the DirecTV box and see if that fixes the problem. You'll still have to use two remotes since the Fire remote can't control DirecTV.

If you end up getting a Harmony, you'll have to connected all your sources to your Denon AND disable CEC (HDMI control / ARC / Bravia Sync) on ALL your devices because it will interfere with the Harmony's macro commands.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-24-2020, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 2260
Quote:
Below thumbnail is a diagram of how an IR receiver is added to a Firestick/Fire TV so an IR remote will work. Also an Ethernet adapter is added to use instead of WIFI only. If the Ethernet adapter is used, WIFI is disabled. I use this same setup on Firesticks and Fire TV pendants with my Harmony 650 and 665's. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FireTVStickWithIReTVAndEthernet.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	2715582  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page