• 1 Post By mdavej

post #1 of 9 Old 04-23-2020, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
RTI T3x and XP3

Hi there

Should this post be in the wrong place, please one of the mods move it. Thx.

I have a rather simple setup at home with LG C9, Marantz SR5012 AVR and a Settopbox for watching TV over the internet. As I am pissed off with 3 remote controls, cheap they are too, I was looking for something of quality that enables me to control all 3 devices. I have never used a universal control remote in the past but maybe time has come to do so. What would you recommend?

When talking to a local Hifi expert he told me that RTI is the best solution but pretty pricy. Well, since it looks like one could use that for many years even when replacing the TV, AVR or whatnot, it my be worth it. Do any of you have experience with RTI remotes, especially the T3x? Or is the meaning forget it, get a Harmony or sth similar. I come from Switzerland if that is of importance.

And how about Crestron TSR-310? Does that make sense? Which is better?

Thx for your help
Ralph

Last edited by Ralph Bicker; 04-23-2020 at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-26-2020, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

This a dead spot of the forum or really noone has info on those brands / remotes?
post #3 of 9 Old 04-26-2020, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 1114
Hi Ralph - the RTI seems like overkill for your setup.

Can you get URC CCP remotes where you are?
markrubin likes this.

Selling in AVS Classifieds
FS: Funk Audio 21.0LX Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-26-2020, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
Hi Ralph - the RTI seems like overkill for your setup.

Can you get URC CCP remotes where you are?

Seems I can only get the cheapest ones, not the (on the web) better looking ones. Sure, i could go for a Harmony Elite. Haven't had that one in my hand yet but I read about lag and stuff and not sure if bluetooth would still work. I read weird stuff like having to wait 10 - 20 seconds till all devices are up... just not so convincing.

I assume Crestron would be the same overkill. I am ok shelling out 1500$ if the stuff works convincingly. See it as a long-term investment.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-27-2020, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked: 3671
Good morning Ralph;

I am a big RTI fan: I use T2X,and T3X, and the iPad app with XP8s processors in my HT for over 15 years.
The T3X/ T4X remotes are beautiful and powerful, but they don't have hard button number keypads: the keypad appears on the touchscreen: many folks miss the hard buttons so if you are still looking at RTI, consider the T2X

The thing about RTI and Crestron is that most programming requires your authorized dealer to get involved, either remotely or by a house call, and programming can get expensive, so I think you were given good advice to look at Harmony

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #6 of 9 Old 04-27-2020, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3290 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Bicker View Post
Seems I can only get the cheapest ones, not the (on the web) better looking ones. Sure, i could go for a Harmony Elite. Haven't had that one in my hand yet but I read about lag and stuff and not sure if bluetooth would still work. I read weird stuff like having to wait 10 - 20 seconds till all devices are up... just not so convincing.
Those delays are entirely due to the devices themselves. If you want to skip all the delays and see what happens, you can set them all to zero or any other value you wish. They're not set in stone. Problem is, it takes a projector, for example, around 20 seconds to start up. So you have to wait that long before you start sending it new commands, like changing inputs. That's why those delays are there by default. But you can certainly take them out if you can do so without breaking the start up and shut down sequences. Problem is if you send commands to a device that's not ready for them, those commands will be ignored, and you will think the remote is faulty, when in fact, it's you, the programmer who is faulty ;-)

Like all universals (and computers), Harmony remotes do what you program them to do, no more, no less.

Personally, I wouldn't spend several thousand Euros on a remote for three devices, but that's just me. There are many DIY options for a few hundred Euros that will do the job equally well. I control a dozen devices with a $15 remote (not Harmony), with just the right delays. I took a scientific approach and timed exactly what the delays for each device need to be rather than live with the defaults or rip them all out.
markrubin likes this.

Last edited by mdavej; 04-27-2020 at 06:46 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-27-2020, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
Good morning Ralph;

I am a big RTI fan: I use T2X,and T3X, and the iPad app with XP8s processors in my HT for over 15 years.
The T3X/ T4X remotes are beautiful and powerful, but they don't have hard button number keypads: the keypad appears on the touchscreen: many folks miss the hard buttons so if you are still looking at RTI, consider the T2X

The thing about RTI and Crestron is that most programming requires your authorized dealer to get involved, either remotely or by a house call, and programming can get expensive, so I think you were given good advice to look at Harmony

Thanks Mark

I don't really need the numbers 1-9, so I can easily live without them. But I would not want a mere touch screen, I want some hard keys for basic functions when watching TV (pause, play, go back 10 secs, jump forward 30 secs etc.). I know that the programming will cost me sth, but once it's done it should work. In case I would buy another device or replace one of the existing ones, I know that the dealer has to come to my house and adjust the programming. if that costs a few hundred... so be it. I could live with that.

I just don't want a "cheap" remote, not sure if a Harmony would be nice enough for me. I don't want the remote to be just a tool but a beautiful thing to look at, touch and use. That is why I ended up looking at these home automation top brands and not a common Harmony. Most likely the Harmony would do the job, but I see it as fall back option if prices are too astronomical for the others.

I phoned with a Crestron dealer in Switzerland today. Told him what I have and that I am not a rich guy... He said he has some used stuff and he will make me an offer. Also I will hit up the local RTI dealer and see what he can offer me, mabye he has some demo stuff he could offer me for acceptable price.

Greets
Ralph
post #8 of 9 Old 04-27-2020, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Those delays are entirely due to the devices themselves. If you want to skip all the delays and see what happens, you can set them all to zero or any other value you wish. They're not set in stone. Problem is, it takes a projector, for example, around 20 seconds to start up. So you have to wait that long before you start sending it new commands, like changing inputs. That's why those delays are there by default. But you can certainly take them out if you can do so without breaking the start up and shut down sequences. Problem is if you send commands to a device that's not ready for them, those commands will be ignored, and you will think the remote is faulty, when in fact, it's you, the programmer who is faulty ;-)

Like all universals (and computers), Harmony remotes do what you program them to do, no more, no less.

Personally, I wouldn't spend several thousand Euros on a remote for three devices, but that's just me. There are many DIY options for a few hundred Euros that will do the job equally well. I control a dozen devices with a $15 remote (not Harmony), with just the right delays. I took a scientific approach and timed exactly what the delays for each device need to be rather than live with the defaults or rip them all out.

Thx mdajev
Yes, I understand that the delays can be programmed and one can time them for each device and adjust. I am no techny but I would be ok playing around with that until it works. I am just not sure I would be happy with the touch and feel of the Harmony overall. I am sure your 15$ remote does the job. But as written to Mark, I am not looking for a remote that does the job only. I want a nice product, that you love touching and using and not the mere function. I can understand that folks have a hard time understanding I would be ok to spend some inappropriate money for a remote (system) but if I spend say $2k to have it installed and programmed, it works flawlessly and the remote is for touch and feel what I want, I would be doing it. If I buy a new device and have to include it and it costs me antoher 200$ I can live with that coz I am not the type of guy that constantly buys sth new. I buy once and then live with it for a long time. Just to give you an example: My current LG C9 is the 2nd flat TV I bought in my life, before that I had a Pioneer plasma for around 13y and I still got it in another place.

I am getting offers from local Crestron and RTI dealers and will report back what I found out, what it costs and if it is what I want.

Thx for your help so far and a good day.
Ralph
post #9 of 9 Old 05-02-2020, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Bicker View Post
Thx mdajev
Yes, I understand that the delays can be programmed and one can time them for each device and adjust. I am no techny but I would be ok playing around with that until it works. I am just not sure I would be happy with the touch and feel of the Harmony overall. I am sure your 15$ remote does the job. But as written to Mark, I am not looking for a remote that does the job only. I want a nice product, that you love touching and using and not the mere function. I can understand that folks have a hard time understanding I would be ok to spend some inappropriate money for a remote (system) but if I spend say $2k to have it installed and programmed, it works flawlessly and the remote is for touch and feel what I want, I would be doing it. If I buy a new device and have to include it and it costs me antoher 200$ I can live with that coz I am not the type of guy that constantly buys sth new. I buy once and then live with it for a long time. Just to give you an example: My current LG C9 is the 2nd flat TV I bought in my life, before that I had a Pioneer plasma for around 13y and I still got it in another place.

I am getting offers from local Crestron and RTI dealers and will report back what I found out, what it costs and if it is what I want.

Thx for your help so far and a good day.
Ralph

I think with a TV, AVR and a cable box you’d be pretty well with a URC remote plus/minus a base station. If it were me, i’d try to find one on ebay that ships to switzerland with the software.

It’d be *far* cheaper than the RTI setup, and just as good.

(I use the t3x/xp3 combo now, but previously had a URC setup)

Selling in AVS Classifieds
FS: Funk Audio 21.0LX Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page